• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

butsomuch

New Chris Avellone interview
Alpha Protocol is a clear example of a game that you can enjoy even more the second and third time you play because of all the different possibilities offered to the player. Strangely enough, not a lot of people seemed to appreciate that. Do you think the game has been treated fairly in general terms?

For the most part it was fair. Some of the press went for shock reviews, sure. Others I felt had appropriate scores and criticisms, and I don’t have any ill will about that – and I know a number of people played the game and enjoyed it for as many people disliked it. In fact, if I didn’t have Twitter and been able to follow the mentions of the game, I would have thought everybody hated it. In the end, we were trying some new design concepts as a studio, and I’m proud of what we did, some of which we’re carrying into future titles.

As the lead designer for Alpha Protocol, we guess you were heavily involved in the writing as well. Is there any character, dialogue or scene that you are particularly fond of?

During the 2nd half of the project (after we did the overhaul of the game’s pipelines, direction, and management), I effectively became the Creative Lead, and our Project Director took charge of the systems – level design was assigned to a specific lead, and he carried it from there.

I inherited a lot of the characters from the previous iteration of the story, but my favorite scene was a Moscow conversation with Sis, Albatross, and Thorton when they’re discussing how things are going to turn out in the end, and nobody’s too optimistic. The scene was based on the skeleton of a previous implementation, but I really liked working on it and fleshing it out.

Also, the scene where Madison hates Thorton and turns on him is also a favorite of mine. While I despise romances, I love “hate-mances,” and she can really come to hate you.

What was the toughest challenge from a designer point of view during AP’s development? Was there any time where all the different possibilities that the story can take collided in a way that made you throw up your hands and scream “there’s no way out of this!”?

No, we’re used to branching storylines in our RPGs, although the cinematic nature of the ones in AP were definitely handcuffs because they relied so much on animation support to pull off (note that this was a conscious decision, not a mandate – we had a generic animation system, but our animators would work hard to put in special animations to make scenes shine). If anyone wanted to throw up their hands, it was probably the dialogue engineers and the animators, who had a lot of patience, but they were often the fiercest advocates for custom anims and making cool cinematic moments.

Steven Heck is one of the most memorable characters in Alpha Protocol. Did you kind of expect that, or were you surprised by it? Did you like Nolan North’s work? Did you choose him specifically? Some people think he shows up too often in games, but we think this is one of his best roles yet.

So Heck was a character concept in the first iteration of the story, and Travis Stout (who wrote the Taipei arc and also was a key writer on Old World Blues) did a great job with his lines. Travis simply knows how to write crazy and funny and then wrap it up in somebody’s head. In the studio, it did seem like Nolan was enjoying the character a lot, so it seems to have paid off.

Many players have complained about two things: Not being able to move the bodies (ala Splinter Cell) and choosing a dialogue option which doesn’t really match what the player was expecting Thorton to say. Was that a design choice to streamline the game, or were there other reasons? Do you think those two aspects could be improved in a sequel?

Sure, we had a lot of items we took from game reviews and feedback and had them in a doc for AP2 – and those two elements definitely could be refined and improved on a second iteration of the game.

Did you have plans for any DLC that had to be scrapped after bad reviews and/or sales?

There was a discussion of DLC at one point, but SEGA didn’t want to do it (the decision was made many months before the game’s release, and we did have a chunk of work invested into the DLC as optional missions). I believe it was about 6 months before the game’s release when they made the call (or “delay/postponement” might be a better way to put it). Considering the game’s reception and the other problems with how it was being released and hyped, it was probably a good move, as I don’t believe the DLC would have addressed any of the major issues people had with the game, only provided more missions.

Was it easy working with SEGA during AP’s development? Were they very involved, influencing the project, or did they just “foot the bill”? Did that experience had anything to do with the cancelation of the Aliens RPG?

They were involved more heavily toward the 2nd half, and towards the end of production, they were calling the shots and the final, indisputable word on the game’s direction and especially the mechanics (targeting, especially, jumps to mind). They didn’t care so much about the story, however, which is pretty standard with most publishers we’ve worked with. Note that none of this absolves us of any of the choices we as a studio made up to that point, so if anyone had an issue with the game, we shared equal, if not more, responsibility for all the critiques folks had.

As far as I can tell, the Aliens RPG fate wasn’t tied to AP’s fate, that seemed to be a different beast, and to this day, I couldn’t comment on why that decision was made except speculations which don’t do anyone any good. In the end, however, it financed the development of the Onyx engine and allowed us our own technology to make games, it built a team we could move on to DS3 and Fallout New Vegas, so a lot of good came out of it. I did think the Aliens RPG had a lot of promise, and I did enjoy working on it for the time I did.

Sysgen

Ug! Tried to get into this twice and both times aborted due to the hacking mini game. Just not my thing and didn't feel like playing word search against a time limit.

Sysgen said:
Ug! Tried to get into this twice and both times aborted due to the hacking mini game. Just not my thing and didn't feel like playing word search against a time limit.

i don't think hacking is necessary to advance the plot at any point besides the tutorial?

Finished alpha protocol yesterday and had a blast. Wonderful little gem this game is.
That the outcomes of every thing you do can be totally different makes me want to start a new game right now.
My ending was awesome because
like a boss, thats how i finished. I wanted to be good, but a glitch in a moscow mission said I killed some civilians, when I didnt, so I had to roll at the end with joining halbech, not killing mina (didnt kill anyone in the game really, except for Darcy that seems you cant save :lol), and then betraying that motherfucker Leland with a punch in the face and sailing in my boat with Mina. LIKE A FUCKING BOSS. It felt awesome.

Its really great, and its even more amzing knowing theres even characters I havent encountered, or talk to them as much as I wanted.

They need to make an AP2, maybe in some years, maybe being a cult game makes the hype rolling and the decide is a good time to make it. I can pray :(

dubc35

After about a year hiatus I've started playing AP again. I'm almost done with the Rome missions
(went there after Saudi, not sure if I was supposed to or if it matters?). I might be screwed though, took the left to try to save Madison instead of disarming the bomb, lol. I died once and haven't had time to see if I can go back to an earlier save point.

I'm really enjoying the game though. I wasn't too far when I stopped last year. The question will become if I play through again and be a complete ass to everyone, select execute every time, etc. Muhahaha!

zkylon

zkylewd
dubc35 said:
I'm really enjoying the game though. I wasn't too far when I stopped last year. The question will become if I play through again and be a complete ass to everyone, select execute every time, etc. Muhahaha!
I did it and it's really worth it. It feels really good to be a murderous prick in AP.

Kevtones

Discotheque said:
yeah it's fantastic. Best deus ex game this gen (until next week I'm assuming).

Really interesting use of dialogue.

It's really engaging. The writers/designers do a great job at showing you what you just altered. Sure the lines aren't always great but they serve their purpose and run circles around the mostly fluffy BS that fills these type of games.

I also kind of dig the mechanics in a last-gen type of way. It's been awhile since I enjoyed stealth to this degree (Goldeneye Wii was a bit satisfying). I think it comes down to the implementation of the RPG mechanics for me. The little bits of added accuracy, the new abilities - I feel Thornton getting better all the time. Loving this pistol/stealth build.

hemtae

I Push Fat Kids said:
Did you know that at 400 mph soccer balls can decapitate people?

That weird giggle Heck gives when you tell him that you're going to have to shoot your way out gets me every time

soultron

Banned
zkylon said:
I did it and it's really worth it. It feels really good to be a murderous prick in AP.
Doing exactly this with my Veteran playthrough. :]

AP has quickly become my newest "will never see a sequel but would give a toe for one" game in a heap of them.

such a great game, it has already revolutionised RPG's but we won't see that until a few more years. i love Tokubetsu's initialism in the title, nice

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soultron said:
AP has quickly become my newest "will never see a sequel but would give a toe for one" game in a heap of them.

Same here. Even with all it's flaws, Alpha Protocol will always have a place in my heart, but there is so much potential for an amazing sequel. It's tragic that it'll never happen, but I'll survive as long as Obsidian keep making RPG's.

Ferrio

Banned
So during my month long ban I finished this one. Really enjoyed it a lot, even though the game became *really* easy toward the end. I put all my points in stealth/melee. Stealth was overpowered as hell, made the end boss fight a joke.

I rarely rarely ever killed anyone but
I had no problem putting a bullet in that assholes head at the end

Hardest fight for me was the
drugged up russian guy. I don't think a melee centered character worked well against him

So, I tried playing this a while back and didn't really get into it. I think I was only at the first mission (sneaking into some base at night) when I quit. However, I've been told to persist, and that it's awesome, but I think I'll make a new character to signify the fresh start. I know there's not a whole lot of customisation to be done, but it'll help me get into the mindset.

A brief read of this thread, and one on Reddit, has convinced me to do a Sterling Archer approach. Suave, sophisticated, selfish, smartass. Does the dialogue allow for this personality? And, if it does not, can I march around with a shotgun blowing the face off anyone who angers me in the slightest?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soultron said:
Real talk: I'm not even excited for ME3 anymore. AP is one of the finest games I've played all year, flaws and all.

I like the series, but I would gladly cancel ME3 in favor of AP2. Without a doubt.

blahblah...blah said:
So, I tried playing this a while back and didn't really get into it. I think I was only at the first mission (sneaking into some base at night) when I quit. However, I've been told to persist, and that it's awesome, but I think I'll make a new character to signify the fresh start. I know there's not a whole lot of customisation to be done, but it'll help me get into the mindset.

A brief read of this thread, and one on Reddit, has convinced me to do a Sterling Archer approach. Suave, sophisticated, selfish, smartass. Does the dialogue allow for this personality? And, if it does not, can I march around with a shotgun blowing the face off anyone who angers me in the slightest?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29119596&postcount=2987

This post helped me a lot on my 1st playthrough :)

damn that's nice

Play Alpha Protocol after playing Human Revolution and tell me it doesn't own.

snuggler's just mad at deus ex because it's not alpha protocol 2 it's deus ex 2

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
damn that's nice said:
Play Alpha Protocol after playing Human Revolution and tell me it doesn't own.

snuggler's just mad at deus ex because it's not alpha protocol 2 it's deus ex 2

I like both games, bro, but Human Revolution doesn't have lumberjack beards, therefore it is the inferior game.

soultron

Banned
Snuggler said:
I like both games, bro, but Human Revolution doesn't have lumberjack beards, therefore it is the inferior game.
There were times that I donned the full lumberjack, "hooligan" flatcap, and the extreme police sunglasses (not the aviators) on in an effort to make myself look as fucking awesome as possible.

damn that's nice

Snuggler said:
i can relate a little more with jensen's beard because it's more like mine but just wait until it's like my alpha protocol characters beard

edit: yes both my characters had the same beard

Llyranor

blahblah...blah said:
I fucking loved Deus Ex, but I played it with a 60:40 stealth:action balance. I'm considering going 100% either way for AP, but can't work out which.
Go stealth. AP as an action game, hahahahahaha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stealth is the best way to play, especially since you're often rewarded for avoiding alarms. That being said, I plan on killing with reckless abandon in my next playthrough (after I'm done with DX3). I played as smooth and sassy Thorton the first time, but I'm definitely gonna be a humorless, sadistic cock next time through. I'm gonna try to plough all of the babes, too.

can't wait

dubc35

I've been getting owned by the Moscow end boss. I haven't played it in a couple days; read up a bit on how to beat him. We'll see though.

No matter how much I try to run away from him when he's coke'd up he slashes the S out of me. Why can't he do the blow with hookers and off of hookers' asses like normal people?

damn that's nice

Snuggler said:
Stealth is the best way to play, especially since you're often rewarded for avoiding alarms. That being said, I plan on killing with reckless abandon in my next playthrough (after I'm done with DX3). I played as smooth and sassy Thorton the first time, but I'm definitely gonna be a humorless, sadistic cock next time through. I'm gonna try to plough all of the babes, too.

can't wait
stealth was better implemented in alpha protocol and the stealth talents were better as well

but human revolution's cover system is vastly superior

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dubc35 said:
No matter how much I try to run away from him when he's coke'd up he slashes the S out of me. Why can't he do the blow with hookers and off of hookers' asses like normal people.

Are you sprinting? It should keep you a safe enough distance from him when he berserks. It was kinda frustrating, but I eventually got it. When his dudes came out I would hide behind cover in a corner and pick 'em off from a distance with a rifle.

Llyranor said:
Go stealth. AP as an action game, hahahahahaha.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd do well with a full action-orientated build, but I envision my character as someone who would kick down a door, blast someone in the face with a shotgun and then say something witty like "Buck you" or "Kickass mode: engaged", and a stealthy approach will avoid that B-movie awesomeness.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
blahblah...blah said:
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd do well with a full action-orientated build, but I envision my character as someone who would kick down a door, blast someone in the face with a shotgun and then say something witty like "Buck you" or "Kickass mode: engaged", and a stealthy approach will avoid that B-movie awesomeness.

Actually, as a stealth player, you'll be kicking a ton of ass. The stealth takedowns look like shit that Jason Bourne would do. Don't get me wrong, I love blasting people with shotguns as a next guy, but it's just not as satisfying as punching someone's face off.

Kevtones

Finished today.

Really great/underrated game. A little confused why I didn't get the 'never get seduced' achievement. I played the game a sexless as possible and still missed out :/

Considering a second playthrough.

hemtae

I Push Fat Kids said:
Finished today.

Really great/underrated game. A little confused why I didn't get the 'never get seduced' achievement. I played the game a sexless as possible and still missed out :/

Considering a second playthrough.

I think you have to get the opportunity to have sex but turn it down

mr_toa

I Push Fat Kids said:
Finished today.

Really great/underrated game.....

Totally! Just finished it up my self last weekend - completely underrated. Too bad this was killed by the host of bad reviews, could've been Sega and Obsidians new cool IP :-/.

blahblah...blah said:
DO IT!

I played my character as a full on shotgun totting, no stealth, super tough, and high armor bad ass. Super fun. Max out Shotgun and Toughness. Then spend some points between Stealth and Technical Aptitude. Maybe some in Sabotage to get more inventory space for meds.

Nothing more fun to play a shoot first, ask questions later character in gameplay and conversation.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm tempted to replay it sometime next year but damn, this will be a rude awakening after Human Revolution in terms of combat.

Kevtones

hemtae said:
I think you have to get the opportunity to have sex but turn it down

I did a couple times... :/

I think I want to play it again just for the supposedly huge differences that can be made. By then, Deus Ex might not be $60.

Kevtones

mr_toa said:
Totally! Just finished it up my self last weekend - completely underrated. Too bad this was killed by the host of bad reviews, could've been Sega and Obsidians new cool IP :-/.

As others said earlier I would GLADLY give up ME3 for AP2.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I got Alpha Protocol in July last year as a trade for Split>Second. However, by the time I actually received AP in the post my 360 had died. About a month later I sent it to a mate who lives in another town across the country for him to borrow as long as he likes. Today, it arrived in the mail!

Ok, so without going through the thread, I actually prefer playing games as Stealth if possible (Splinter Cell, MGS, Deus Ex etc) but I can't remember if people said it was broken so any advice is recommended before I get stuck into this over the weekend.

Kevtones

I played through as a stealth. I focused my AP into Stealth/Pistols and rarely had any issues. The pistol chain shot made bosses much easier but that's not those aren't really the stealthy moments of the game.

I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just part way into the first mission. Chose hardest difficulty and then Recruit. Done all the training and the like so far.

Within a short time of playing you can see a few little problems, or should I say features lacking, like not being able to close doors behind you, or stay in cover while going around corners, but the gameplay and choices more than makes up for any little issues I've come across.

I can see I am going to enjoy this a lot. Right up my alley.,

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I Push Fat Kids said:
I did a couple times... :/

I think I want to play it again just for the supposedly huge differences that can be made. By then, Deus Ex might not be $60.

You literally have to be an asshole, do everything the complete opposite, you gotta get there rating very hostile too you

If you were flirty with one, be an asshole
If you were an asshole with one (you know which one likes it rough), be professional, piss her the fuck off by being courteous
If you were professional, act goofy/suave, not a fuck in the world ("Not a Single Fuck was given per conversation") make choices that were there to "protect" into a homicidal-genocidal killing machine
If you were middle ground, just be the biggest douchebag in the world, cocky as fuck

*PING* Trophy or *Ploop* Achievement

Also interactions with other characters also effect your relationship, talk shit to a certain hidden spy, frisky lady likes, if you professional, frisky lady gets upset you buddy buddy with 'em

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gen X said:
Just part way into the first mission. Chose hardest difficulty and then Recruit. Done all the training and the like so far.

Within a short time of playing you can see a few little problems, or should I say features lacking, like not being able to close doors behind you, or stay in cover while going around corners, but the gameplay and choices more than makes up for any little issues I've come across.

I can see I am going to enjoy this a lot. Right up my alley.,
When people say stealth is broken in this, they mean that once you get high enough in that skill tree the game can get incredibly easy if you know what you're doing, especially in combination with certain other skills like pistols.

kai3345

Banned
Just finished it. Goddamn what a game.

Shot that motherfucker right in the eye at the end. Fuck him

But I think my ending was glitched. Heck would say a line, and then Michael would respond to something completely unrelated to what Heck said.

Alright guys, I'm finally going to start my game now. I want to go or an easy run first, preferably stealth, I like playing that way.

So what's the best build I can start off with, as for the class, should I go for Field Agent or Recruit?

Thanks.

Top Bottom