• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Best Buy had them in my area for a little bit, but every store nearby has been sold out for like a month now. I didn't think to check Staples though.

edit- actually I just checked again and one store actually has some available. Last time I checked was maybe 2 or 3 days ago. Most stores are still sold out

B33

Banned
Does the Paperwhite come loaded with The New Oxford American Dicionary? If so, can readers breezing through prose look up words seamlessly without "exiting" the novel?

Does the Paperwhite come loaded with The New Oxford American Dicionary? If so, can readers breezing through prose look up words seamlessly without "exiting" the novel?

Yes and the way they do it now is even better than the way it was handled before. On my old kindle you had to highlight the word and it would take you to a dictionary page. With the paperweight you just press on the word on a little popup with the definition appears that you can 'x' out of when you're done and stay on your book page.

Yes and the way they do it now is even better than the way it was handled before. On my old kindle you had to highlight the word and it would take you to a dictionary page. With the paperweight you just press on the word on a little popup with the definition appears that you can 'x' out of when you're done and stay on your book page.

Did you have the original Kindle? My Kindle 2 showed a shortened definition on the bottom of the screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think you're right about the default. And no, no auto brightness.

Thanks! What do people keep it at or do you just change it based on the situation? I kinda don't like making it too bright because it shows some ghosting and the lighting differentiation at the bottom. Seems like maybe 12-14 is a sweet spot.

I managed to find one at Staples yesterday. It's great so far but I can see a little piece of dust or something trapped under the screen that gets lit up and looks like a little tiny bright spot of light. It's not too bothersome but I keep looking for it. The top quarter of the screen kind of looks pinkish, not sure if that's normal or not.

Other than that it's been awesome. Little bit harder to hold comfortably in bed compared to my kindle3 though.

So I guess I go for the official case then. Too bad they do not offer the darker brown of my current case. The blue one should be mine.

I got an official black case. Pretty happy with it. Great protection. Amazon local has a voucher for 30% off kindle accessories currently if anybody is looking to get a case.

Nymerio

Thanks! What do people keep it at or do you just change it based on the situation? I kinda don't like making it too bright because it shows some ghosting and the lighting differentiation at the bottom. Seems like maybe 12-14 is a sweet spot.

I always keep it at the lowest setting. During the day I don't need any lighting anyway and at night the lowest setting is enough. The only times I turn it up is when I show it to people.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I picked up this Paperwhite case yesterday for $1.95 (price went up to $3.95 now): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...12&keywords=kindle+case+smart+paperwhite+slim

It seems good for the price. I wasn't looking for a case but I saw this for cheap and decided what the hell. It even auto-shuts off the Paperwhite when you close it, kind of like the iPad smart cover. Case is not bad at all if you need a very cheap case just to protect the Paperwhite

Joe

I really need a light solution for my Kindle Keyboard.

The Kandle seems like it lights really well but also appears to be bulky/cumbersome/annoying from a peripheral standpoint.

The official lighted cover seems really nice and sleek but it also seems that it doesn't light enough of the screen?

Can anyone chime in here? I'd also be open to other 3rd party options if anyone has experience with anything else.

Nymerio

The official cover is great. I was using that before I got the paperwhite. The light is great and an improvement to anything I've used before. I don't know what you mean with "doesn't light enough of the screen", I never had problems reading anything. I'd definitely recommend it.

Socreges

Banned
I really need a light solution for my Kindle Keyboard.

The Kandle seems like it lights really well but also appears to be bulky/cumbersome/annoying from a peripheral standpoint.

The official lighted cover seems really nice and sleek but it also seems that it doesn't light enough of the screen?

Can anyone chime in here? I'd also be open to other 3rd party options if anyone has experience with anything else.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FZA1OW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just got that one. Really like it. Small, unobtrusive, flexible, and gives the screen a fairly even distribution of light.

Burger

My Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi has shat itself. Resets, charge it over night to wake up to an empty battery screen, freezes all the time. It's totally fucked.

Spoke to Amazon who said I could have a Wifi Kindle for the low low price of $54 as it was out of warranty. I read that the case I have has metal contacts which eventually short circuit the Kindle and ruin it, and Amazon posted on their forums that they will replace it or refund it whenever it was purchased (the case).

What a fucking nightmare trying to sort this out. First they want to charge me for a shittier Kindle (with ads) and have no reference to a problem with the cover. Eventually after guiding me through the factory reset procedure which totally ruins the device he agrees to an out of warranty replacement, but I've had no email confirmation. Then I ask about the case, and he suggests I just keep using it. What a joke.

Question - I bought a Kindle as a gift for a family member and when it went through I failed to mark it as a gift for a friend so it linked with my kindle account. I talked to customer service and the guy changed it and linked it to the appropriate account but this kindle is still listed in my management screen. How do I delete that out so I don't accidentally buy a kindle book and send it to that (which I've been close to doing multiple times since wouldnt ya know it - the erroneous kindle is listed as the default for my 1 touch ordering).

stn

Ok, one last question: The Kindle Paperwhite. Can you organize PDFs into folders? I wouldn't want every PDF in one list, would make it more annoying to find what I need. Thanks!!

Somnid

Question - I bought a Kindle as a gift for a family member and when it went through I failed to mark it as a gift for a friend so it linked with my kindle account. I talked to customer service and the guy changed it and linked it to the appropriate account but this kindle is still listed in my management screen. How do I delete that out so I don't accidentally buy a kindle book and send it to that (which I've been close to doing multiple times since wouldnt ya know it - the erroneous kindle is listed as the default for my 1 touch ordering).

When the person gets it have them disassociate the device and associate it to their own. Should fix everything.

BFIB

I picked up this Paperwhite case yesterday for $1.95 (price went up to $3.95 now): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...12&keywords=kindle+case+smart+paperwhite+slim

It seems good for the price. I wasn't looking for a case but I saw this for cheap and decided what the hell. It even auto-shuts off the Paperwhite when you close it, kind of like the iPad smart cover. Case is not bad at all if you need a very cheap case just to protect the Paperwhite

Thanks Wario, just ordered.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Ok, one last question: The Kindle Paperwhite. Can you organize PDFs into folders? I wouldn't want every PDF in one list, would make it more annoying to find what I need. Thanks!!
Yes. You can make "collections" that are, for all intents and purposes, folders, and you can organize all of the files on your Kindle into different collections. That's feature isn't exclusive to the Paperwhite though. You can also view items on your Kindle by type, so you can separate your books, magazines, and personal documents. The Paperwhite also has a decent search, if all else fails.

stn

Man, thanks so much! If only it wasn't sold out I'd have bought it by now. Still, will be buying it very soon! :) Thanks friends.

Futureman

hey everyone! Good morning!!

So if you have the Kindle app on an iPhone, and you are traveling to a country where you won't be able to use your data connection... can you download a Kindle title to the iPhone so you can access it?

friend is going to India and wants to buy some Kindle travel guides for the area she is going to. Wondering if she'll be able to access her books w/o a data connection in India?

What is the point of a jailbreak on the paperwhite? Like what can you do with a jail broken one, other than custom screen savers? I have a special offers one, so I don't mind the screen savers for the deals.

@futureman, you can download books and read without a data connection. I read on my iPod touch a lot, when I don't have wifi access or anything.

bangai-o

Banned
any recommendations for prime eligible free books?

I am okay with most genres. I haven't utilized the prime service on my kindle at all.

If anyone is interested in Abraham Lincoln or historical fiction, my dad's book A. Lincoln: Detective is free for a couple of days:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OL2XMY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

413Suo8Oe5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My Kindle Paperwhite case came today, and Amazon let me know my Paperwhite is expected about a week earlier than they guessed (was looking at as late as the 27th). Should be here in about a week. I'm stoked. First Kindle.

Cheska

Decided to give the Kindle another go. Had a Kindle 2 for years before I upgraded to an iPad. Loved the iPad but truthfully it was just too heavy and big for reading. Since I wasn't looking for another tablet and strictly wanted to go with a small ereader the PaperWhite seemed like a good choice. Went out today to buy it but had a question for existing owners: does the touchscreen seem to have issues or is it pretty sensitive?

Also, jailbreaking will allow you to change the change the screensavers right? I can see the advertisements getting old very quickly.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Went out today to buy it but had a question for existing owners: does the touchscreen seem to have issues or is it pretty sensitive?
I find it quite a bit better than the Kindle Touch, but at the end of the day it's still far from the responsiveness of a tablet. How about going to buy it in one of those stores that have demo units set up? (e.g. Best Buy). In that way you can play with it a bit and get a feeling of the touch screen.

I am okay with most genres. I haven't utilized the prime service on my kindle at all.

You might take a look at Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese. Sounds interesting. In general the prime library is not exactly much added value.

Nymerio

Has anyone had this problem:

I wanted to start a new book and tapped it in the cloud tab to download it but it stays grayed out and says pending without doing anything else. It doesn't appear on my kindle and when I go to the cloud tab again it displays just as if it never downloaded. Restarting my kindle didn't help either. It's a book from the humble bundle if that makes a difference. Guess I'll try to transfer it with Calibre if nothing else works.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can someone help me make a decision on an e-reader? I don't need a tablet since I have an iPad, but I don't want a zero feature device. What can you guys tell me or inform me on? And are there any Christmas specials on Kindles?

flyover

Can someone help me make a decision on an e-reader? I don't need a tablet since I have an iPad, but I don't want a zero feature device. What can you guys tell me or inform me on? And are there any Christmas specials on Kindles?

If you want the best reading experience, I think the basic Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite are the way to go. But since you said you don't want a uni-tasker, your best bet in a small form factor could be... the iPad Mini. Costs more than, say, a Kindle Fire or Nook HD or Kobo Arc up front, but that way you can still use all your other iOS apps.

I'm not sure what you consider the dividing line between tablet and multifunctional reader. The Fire and Nook HD and Arc all bill themselves as tablets, too...

I've bridged the gap by having an iPad (full-sized) and a cheapo Kindle. That works fine for me. I prefer to read on the Kindle, but in a pinch, I can switch between it, the iPad, and my phone.

Best of luck finding the right solution for you!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Any reason to jailbreak a Paperwhite besides getting rid of ads (which don't even bother me in the first place)?

Daigoro

on my free trial last month i borrowed a few Ian Fleming James Bond books. they are awesome.

Just saw this from Jeff Green's Tweet

Complete set of Sherlock Holmes free

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHE20W0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sweet. grabbed it, thanks.

there is a bunch of free Sherlock Holmes on Kindle, but this looks like it might be formatted nicely. there is also an illustrated edition up there with original illustradtions from The Strand magazine. i grabbed that too to see what its like.

who's Jeff Green?

edit: well that's odd. the Complete Sherlock is a pre-order (though it didnt say anything about that on the page when i 1 clicked it), due out tomorrow. weird.

also, that Illustrated Holmes i mentioned is awesome!

Daigoro

well godammit. reading some Holmes this monring and already found 2 words that werent in either supplied dictionary. heh.

one of them is "gasogene". i figured out what it was from the context, but i still wanted to read the definition.

also question if anyone knows: when i first got my kindle it seemed to save a list of the words i looked up in the dictionary that i could later view in "My Clippings", but i must have turned off some feature preventing this because it hasnt kept any of the words ive looked up pfor a long time now.

anyone know how to enable this?

Veelk

Banned
Whats a reasonable price for selling a perfectly functional but used Kindle that has a very thin, barely visible crack on the screen?

Top Bottom