• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Dwayne

Got a book with a lot of footnotes on my Android Kindle app, but there appears to be a bug - all the footnotes have the same number (1) or letter (a) which means when I get to the list of footnotes I have no idea which one i'm supposed to be looking at. Anyone else experience this?

edit: get the same issue in cloud reader, must be the book

flippedb

Banned
Today I met a married couple on my German class.

When they saw the PW I was using, they got all excited because they own one as well. The lady told me they had bought the ad supported version, but now they don't have ads. She told me the Ads expire on December 31st, so If you don't connect your Paperwhite to the Internet after Dec. 31st, Amazon won't update the ads and you'll end up with a free reader.

Of course it's not really convinient (and dec 31st is a bit far away), but it could be a good option for those fed up with the ads.

Gotta show that sexy thing, man!
I don't like leaving it on the car or sticking it into my backpack because I fear it might get damaged

jayb

on my Kindle Touch if I leave wifi off for a few weeks, the screensaver eventually reverts to the generic one with no ads. I assume the PW works the same way. you shouldn't have to wait until December 31st.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm so weak. After owning it for a year, I just got an official (non lighted) case for my Kindle 4. Even at the newer price of 30 bux, it's still a ridiculous price for what it is, but all the budget options had something about them that turned me off, like added bulk, superfluous, dangly clasp, etc.

The plus side is I won't have to carry it around in a pillow case bag anymore, but that doesn't really make me feel like any less of a dolt.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Lost my kindle - the was basic kindle 3 model .. Have to get a new one .. Not sure if Inshould stick with it (love it) or upgrade to Paperwhite ..

How is the battery life on the Paperwhite ?

DagsJT

Schattenjäger;47288411 said:
Lost my kindle - the was basic kindle 3 model .. Have to get a new one .. Not sure if Inshould stick with it (love it) or upgrade to Paperwhite ..

Excellent. A LOT better than I expected it to be considering it's using lights.

BFIB

Schattenjäger;47288411 said:

With WiFi off, and 3G off, I'm at 5 weeks of normal use (around an hour a day), and I just hit a little under half full.

With WiFi/3G on, I still hit around 3 weeks before charging.

Ledsen

Question: Does the Kindle index books you add yourself? All of my Kindle Store purchases are searchable and have X-Ray, but all my other books (not from Kindle Store) are listed as not indexed and I can't search them at all.

Just got mine last night (damn you Amazon.ca delay) and I love it. Perfect size and weight though I did notice the bleed issue somewhat. So the consensus is that its not a defect than? Didnt really bother me while reading last night, but if it is i would rather ship it back right away before I get too attached lol.

Also, I hope UPS goes out of business.... just the worst shipping company ever. You know things are bad when someone hopes an item gets shipped with Canada Post (a gov organization) over a private one. I paid for 2 day shipping as I am traveling for work next week (ordered it on the 1st), so it was supposed to show up on the 6th. Didn't get dropped off until yesterday after 7:00pm, and the guy leaves the package on top of the mailbox in like -15c weather...

Chrono

Banned
I have a couple of silly questions on ipad/ibooks, I know this is the kindle thread but it's similar and maybe some here have an ipad, sorry if OT...

1) Is the font size scale different for each book or is it my imagination? The smallest and second smallest don't look the same from book to book...

2) I just got Don Quixote, the Grossman translation, and the print edition says it's just a little under a thousand pages while under the smallest font on the ipad, barely readable, it's 1500 or so. I looked at the sample pages at Amazon and there are more words per lines and more sentences on the ipad, it makes no sense why there are more pages in the print edition... o_O

Edit: I should add that the number of pages listed in the itunes store for the ebook is 992, similar to the printed edition I looked up at Amazon. And yet even with the smallest font it's 1500 pages on my ipad, what the hell.

MasLegio

Banned
Is there an easy way to view my Amazon purchases on the Paperwhite? It's a real pain in the arse to find them amongst my other stuff.

You can select to view between all items, books, periodicals and docs. Also it might be an idea to tag your amazon purchases with a special tag so they show up in the same collection in collection view

flowsnake

1) Is the font size scale different for each book or is it my imagination? The smallest and second smallest don't look the same from book to book...

This happens far too often. Some eBook authors (as in the person or I guess application that makes the eBook file) apply a scaling factor to the font size as far as I can tell. I had to edit one of my Kindle books because the font was smaller by default...they had applied a 0.5 scale to it or something (so it was always smaller than the size specified by the Kindle). It's all done in CSS/HTML.

Just one of the many ways that eBooks seem to be a joke in terms of quality control. Part of it could be that they convert books between formats lazily, but I wouldn't know.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was unprepared for how fricken heavy the official Kindle cases are. Sleek as hell tho. Damn my Kindle's sexy now.

Hanzou

[KoRp]Jazzman;47476469 said:
Just got mine last night (damn you Amazon.ca delay) and I love it. Perfect size and weight though I did notice the bleed issue somewhat. So the consensus is that its not a defect than? Didnt really bother me while reading last night, but if it is i would rather ship it back right away before I get too attached lol.

Also, I hope UPS goes out of business.... just the worst shipping company ever. You know things are bad when someone hopes an item gets shipped with Canada Post (a gov organization) over a private one. I paid for 2 day shipping as I am traveling for work next week (ordered it on the 1st), so it was supposed to show up on the 6th. Didn't get dropped off until yesterday after 7:00pm, and the guy leaves the package on top of the mailbox in like -15c weather...

Yeah they are fucking awful. Order a kitchenaid mixer from Amazon and UPS delivered it late in the morning when I was home. I saw the truck and went and stood by the door ready to open it when he knocks. Nope, he doesn't even knock and just leaves a big ass package on my front porch is right on and faces a major road, especially for people walking on the sidewalk. Jerks.

Anybody know what happens if a package gets stolen in a case like this?

Ratrat

i tried it, and from what I can tell, it just resizes them. how do you bunch all of them together in just one file other than making a pdf?
Throw them all into a folder and read? The kindle will recognize it as 1 book.
.cbr is not supported afaik.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Yeah they are fucking awful. Order a kitchenaid mixer from Amazon and UPS delivered it late in the morning when I was home. I saw the truck and went and stood by the door ready to open it when he knocks. Nope, he doesn't even knock and just leaves a big ass package on my front porch is right on and faces a major road, especially for people walking on the sidewalk. Jerks.

Anybody know what happens if a package gets stolen in a case like this?
Some time ago a package I was waiting for turned to "Delivered" status in the Ontrac tracking but I didn't receive it - had been at home all day too. I contacted the Amazon customer service and they sent me a replacement right away.

The courier eventually showed up with my first package the day after, so I cancelled the replacement order, but yeah - I believe Amazon provides replacements as long as the missing package wasn't signed for.

wilflare

every time I see this thread I get tempted to upgrade my Kindle 3 Keyboard to PaperWhite.

but gah I just hope Amazon makes it easier to annotate PDFs

Chrono

Banned
This happens far too often. Some eBook authors (as in the person or I guess application that makes the eBook file) apply a scaling factor to the font size as far as I can tell. I had to edit one of my Kindle books because the font was smaller by default...they had applied a 0.5 scale to it or something (so it was always smaller than the size specified by the Kindle). It's all done in CSS/HTML.

Just one of the many ways that eBooks seem to be a joke in terms of quality control. Part of it could be that they convert books between formats lazily, but I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the answer.

I figured out my second question, it's stupid, I just needed to take a look at the extra pages - each footnote takes a whole page at the end of the book. So while the book finishes at a little over a thousand pages at the second after smallest font and around 800 pages on the smallest font, both not too different from the print edition, hundreds of pages are added for tiny footnotes at their top. Looking at the itunes reviews one mentions there are some repeated paragraphs too.

If ebooks are going to be the future they have to improve these standards at some point. I hate browsing books for amazon and seeing one star reviews complaining about errors and such in the kindle edition.

saelz8

Is the power button on the new kindle supposed to be this non-tactile? It's really soft. Can barely tell I'm pressing it.

Nymerio

i tried it, and from what I can tell, it just resizes them. how do you bunch all of them together in just one file other than making a pdf?

I wrote a little app that creates a mobi file from a directory. I'll see if I can find the link, should be a couple pages back.

edit: found it. I've only tried it once, but it should work in theory.

Comic Generator: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6C...2MyRFM1andROGM
Kindlegen from the amazon website: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000765211 (You need to have python 2.7.3 installed for this to work)
Kindlestrip from mobilereads: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96903

To use it:
Go into the settings tab and browse to your kindlegen.exe and the kindlestrip.py script. I really recommend using kindlestrip as it makes the mobi file lot smaller.

Set a target format. I only tried it with jpegs so far, but the other formats should work too. The parallelism slider is a bit experimental. The safest setting is 1 but depending on your ram you can increase this up to ten. I usually use 5 with 8 gigs of ram, but I think you could go even higher. The higher it is the more images are processes at the same time, which can be a memory hog. Hit save once you have set up the program.

Now you just have to fill in the book tab. Point it to the root direcory of your comic and fill out the metadata. Once that's done hit "Process" and it should start creating your comic.

TEJ

I purchased all star superman for my PC kindle, turns out it isn't compatible with this, did a live chat with a representative who was polite friendly and super helpful, and i'll be getting a refund very soon.

God, I looooove amazon customer support.

Bonethug

Been reading a lot more recently, and looking to upgrade my Kindle 2 to a Paperwhite.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a vertical opening cover?
Does anyone have any experience with the Moko or Poetic?

I currently have a M-Edge platform cover on my K2, and I am looking for something similar.

So I'm looking into a Kindle, because I want to regain my love of reading. Did anyone find that they began reading more once they got their Kindle? And would you guys recommend the Paperwhite or the original Kindle?

Salsa

man, im glad I decided not to get the paperwhite and stay with the 4. Developed some awful eye floaters this past month, figure they'd be more noticeable on a lit screen

Roche

So I've been thinking of buying the cheapest version of the kindle (about €80 I think) anything I should really know before I commit?

flippedb

Banned
So I've been thinking of buying the cheapest version of the kindle (about €80 I think) anything I should really know before I commit?

It has no light, and that's a pretty big advantage. Plus, the touchscreen on the PW makes it easier to higlight or search words.

bangai-o

Banned
I purchased all star superman for my PC kindle, turns out it isn't compatible with this, did a live chat with a representative who was polite friendly and super helpful, and i'll be getting a refund very soon.

God, I looooove amazon customer support.

what device are you using? Paperwhite should be compatible with all the comics.

jayb

So I'm looking into a Kindle, because I want to regain my love of reading. Did anyone find that they began reading more once they got their Kindle? And would you guys recommend the Paperwhite or the original Kindle?

When I got my Kindle last year, I probably did start to read a bit more than usual. But I wouldn't rely on a gadget to convince myself to read more. Start with a new book series or genre you've never tried before to see if that helps first.

Content you're really interested in will do more motivating than the medium.

My reading exploded when I first got my Kindle and even though I've slowed down since then, it remains higher than before I got my Kindle.

I prefer to read on the Kindle especially when it is nice outside.
It's so easy and nice to have all my books right there. Still read physical books too.

DagsJT

To some extent. What made a much bigger difference for me was getting onto Goodreads and the GAF reading threads.

I hadn't read much at all in the last 15 years but then kept hearing about Game Of Thrones. So I bought the book, finishing reading it early evening and needed to read the next book. So went out and bought a Kindle, then bought the next book from Amazon.

I think in the last couple of years, I've read about 70 books due to having a Kindle, it's completely got me back into reading and I feel really disappointed that I missed out on time reading books in the 15 years that I stopped for some reason. Trying to make up for lost time now though!

And as up above, Goodreads and GAF always coming up with suggestions is helping too.

The Kindle is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

jayb

I hadn't read much at all in the last 15 years but then kept hearing about Game Of Thrones. So I bought the book, finishing reading it early evening and needed to read the next book. So went out and bought a Kindle, then bought the next book from Amazon.

I think in the last couple of years, I've read about 70 books due to having a Kindle, it's completely got me back into reading and I feel really disappointed that I missed out on time reading books in the 15 years that I stopped for some reason. Trying to make up for lost time now though!

And as up above, Goodreads and GAF always coming up with suggestions is helping too.

The Kindle is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

This is pretty much how I got back into reading, except that I waited until finishing book 4 before buying a kindle. I've got a lot of books to catch up on.

I credit GRRM for getting me back into reading more than my kindle. The convenience of the kindle does makes it easier to read more often, though.

Top Bottom