• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Bonethug

Yes, you can disable the row of recommendations on the Paperwhite and Touch so that it will show only the covers of your books on the device.

To disable Recommended Content on Kindle Paperwhite:

From the reading tool bar, tap Settings, Device Options then Personalize your Kindle.
Tap Recommended Content, to change your preference

mantidor

I'm also on the fence about special offers, I got my PW recently and had no idea it had ads. How easy it is to put in custom cover images? I did that with my previous Kindle and would prefer to do it with my new PW as well, but if it is more complex than the previous hack then I won't bother (and I would save $20 in the process).

You guys know you can just turn the Kindle off instead of letting it go to the ad screensaver right? It's not like it has to reboot. One second to turn on, one second to turn off. I've had my Kindle Touch with special offers since it came out and I couldn't tell you one ad that has been displayed.

I do like the actual "offers". I bought quite a few books I loved for .99 cents (Confederacy of Dunces, Kitchen Confidential, etc) though I've noticed they've been a lot stingier with those as of late.

mantidor

wow you are right! you can just leave the kindle blank, it does take way more than one second though. I still would like custom screensavers, but not enough to spend $20 on it.

chiQ

wow you are right! you can just leave the kindle blank, it does take way more than one second though. I still would like custom screensavers, but not enough to spend $20 on it.

Is it possible to have custom images? I have an ad-free one and there's no way, that I can find, to add your own.

mantidor

Fuuuuuck! My screen got a very weird small hair-like line I can't clean off, has anyone had something similar? This sucks :( I hope it can be fixed.

Is it possible to have custom images? I have an ad-free one and there's no way, that I can find, to add your own.

You could do it in the Kindle keyboard but you need to install a hack, it's nothing complicated but requires you to follow the steps closely, a simple google search will help you. I guess you can do it with the PW too.

chiQ

You could do it in the Kindle keyboard but you need to install a hack, it's nothing complicated but requires you to follow the steps closely, a simple google search will help you. I guess you can do it with the PW too.

Hmm, I have a Touch. I might do some rummaging.

Does anyone know how to disable those ... I dont know what to call them ... annotation links? I'm reading Masters of Doom and this is the first time I've ever seen them. When I turn the page sometimes I accidentally click on them since they're liberally peppered within the text and it takes me to a reference area in the back of the book. Its really annoying to have to be cautious of where I'm pressing in order to turn the page.

Pachimari

Woah I'm finally getting a Kindle again (my birthday) but which are the best books about North Korea and PHP/MySql/Databases for websites?

Crazyorloco

Yesterday, as a birthday gift to myself I purchased the Kindle Paperwhite (wifi only one). I'm loving this thing. I haven't read so much since College. :) I didn't think I would use it this much.

I've been using Calibre to convert books that are not compatible to .mobi format. Great program.

I lasted 1 day before forking over 20$:

74xEQh3.jpg

Can't deal with it. Been seeing it in my periphials all day.

I'm getting the zip lock case in the mail tomorrow. I might could deal with it when I most likely get the official leather case down the road.

Lolll I haven't seen ads like this yet, just book deals and the Norelco sensotouch razor. The ads don't bother me too much.

bangai-o

Banned
you guys have any recommendations for periodicals? I currently have,

Ap World - world news

Destructoid - videogame news

Science Codex Brain & Neuroscince - cognitive development news

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is Amazon going to come out with any new Kindles this year? Paperwhite was just released last year, so I'm not really expecting any totally new models, but are they at least planning for any upgrades to the current models?

bangai-o

Banned
Is Amazon going to come out with any new Kindles this year? Paperwhite was just released last year, so I'm not really expecting any totally new models, but are they at least planning for any upgrades to the current models?

i doubt any major upgrades. probably just the return of sound so they can promote audio-books again.

Fatalah

I recently bought a Paper White, and there are two white specks of light on the screen when I turn on the backlight. I've read this is common, and that it's fairly difficult to find a perfect back lit unit without this "stars" issue. Is this true?

You guys use any special protection for your kindles at the beach? I don't want to get sand all up in it and shit. Maybe just a ziploc bag or something?

Well Kobo just launched a 6.8 inch, 265 DPI screen (1,440 x 1,080) device, so a higher resolution screen is possible. I'm not sure where else they can go with e-ink. Color still isn't ready for primetime.

You guys use any special protection for your kindles at the beach? I don't want to get sand all up in it and shit. Maybe just a ziploc bag or something?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PRAFMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is a great cover for my K3. It has a clear plastic zippered cover.

This link has better pics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00492CAIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure of any for Paperwhite if that's what you need. A PW would fit in that case, just not snugly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PRAFMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is a great cover for my K3. It has a clear plastic zippered cover.

This link has better pics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00492CAIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure of any for Paperwhite if that's what you need. A PW would fit in that case, just not snugly.

That looks like it would work, I already have the official K3 leather cover though. I think I just need something like the plastic cover. I have a paperwhite too but I prefer the K3

WowBaby

i doubt any major upgrades. probably just the return of sound so they can promote audio-books again.

The audio is the one thing that has kept me from getting the Paperwhite. I like to read to classical music, so the lack of audio was a deal breaker. I use my Kindle Touch and the Fire HD 7". The Kindle Touch is definitely better for reading than the Fire.

Hopefully the next generation of Paperwhites will come with audio.

coopolon

I have a Kindle 3 (with keyboard) and was wondering how much of an upgrade the Paperwhite is.

I went from a keyboard to a paper white. I think the stuff about screen resolution and contrast is pretty worthless. The touch is great in some ways (like highlighting words for definitions) but I do miss the turn buttons.

I think xray is a gimmick because it is in so few books.

The backlight is such a big deal though. It is pretty much the only reason to upgrade in my opinion. I use it all the time. If you don't read in the dark though, I wouldn't upgrade.

MasLegio

Banned
I went from a keyboard to a paper white. I think the stuff about screen resolution and contrast is pretty worthless. The touch is great in some ways (like highlighting words for definitions) but I do miss the turn buttons.

I think xray is a gimmick because it is in so few books.

The backlight is such a big deal though. It is pretty much the only reason to upgrade in my opinion. I use it all the time. If you don't read in the dark though, I wouldn't upgrade.

for me the biggest pro of backlight is while travelling where light conditions are changing. Having the backlight on makes a huge difference, especially if you are on a local bus during night, evening or morning.

I have a Kindle 3 (with keyboard) and was wondering how much of an upgrade the Paperwhite is.

I think overall I still prefer the K3. Mostly because of the hardware buttons and the fact that it's more comfortable to hold without a case. The paperwhite screen is nice in terms of how text looks, but I had to get mine exchanged 3 times because discoloration on the screens was incredibly distracting. The one I eventually decided to keep still has some discoloration, but it's not as bad as the others, and as long as there's an actual light source shining on the screen it's not a problem. It's still very distracting to me when I use the paperwhite in a dark enough room though, the screen doesn't look evenly colored and I can't ignore it

Plus the K3 has more storage space and support for audiobooks. Storage space isn't a big deal for me because I don't like keeping a ton of books on there at once, and for audiobooks i'd just use an mp3 player probably. Paperwhite lacks those features entirely though. Basically, I kind of want to just buy another K3 and keep it stored in case mine dies, because I don't think any of the newer kindles match up to it

LadyRiven

Anyone here use Calibre?

It's fucking awesome. I know it sounds dumb, but I really enjoy being able to adjust the metadata of books I have in my library. Simple stuff such as choosing from multiple covers & whatnot, but still - it's an awesome program.

I just downloaded it recently. Awesome program; definitely one that every person with an eReader should have!

frontovik

Banned
I'm thinking about puchasing a Kindle, however I have a two questions.

(a) You don't need a constant internet connection to read an ebook, correct? i.e. logging in with your Kindle/Amazon account?

(b) I've heard that Amazon has all rights to delete your account and any ebook purchases at their discretion. I'm pretty sure Kobo wouldn't do that.

flippedb

Banned

(a) You don't need a constant internet connection to read an ebook, correct? i.e. logging in with your Kindle/Amazon account?

(b) I've heard that Amazon has all rights to delete your account and any ebook purchases at their discretion. I'm pretty sure Kobo wouldn't do that.

(a) You don't need an internet connection unless you want to access the Amazon Store from your Kindle.

(b) I don't know.

Ledsen

a) You don't need to go online at all really.

b) I've heard of some cases where books have been deleted when they're gone from the store, etc. Of course some people de-DRM their books to avoid stuff like that but I don't know if that's ok to talk about here so I will refrain.

chiQ

K3 had audio. pretty good speakers too. Paperwhite does not. I guess they were having a hard time reaching that 119. dollar mark.

It does not.

Sucky. I use mine for Audible books too, so that's a major downside.

A. No. Network is needed to get new books onto the device, and nothing more. If your Kindle is loaded it it can be completely offline.

B. Yes, absolutely. I recommend downloading all your books to your local drive as you buy them.

I've heard that Amazon has all rights to delete your account and any ebook purchases at their discretion. I'm pretty sure Kobo wouldn't do that.

If we're talking purely technologically, every eReader has the capacity to delete your books and lock you from your account. The same goes for legally. This is how DRM works. Every eReader has DRM.

Amazon did it once and swore to never do it again. I don't trust them at all, and I don't trust any other company as well. I don't see why you would trust any of them more than the other.

New to Ereaders, surprised that the Kindle OT is so active!

I've decided between the KoboGlo and Kindle Paperwhite

I ended up going with Glo because:

Stat tracking!
Backlit screen seems to be more liked

Now, I like the shape and look of my first ereader, it didn't feel uncomfortable, but apparently something called the "Nook" is more comfortable?

Anyways, since this is about Kindle, what makes the Paperwhite so much superior?

Also, testing it at the store, the Glo does seem a tad sensitive to page turns, but since there are options to choose where the turn page happens, it shouldn't be an issue.

What about Amazon makes the Paperwhite so great? Kobo Glo seems to support some great file types... I haven't opened the Glo yet, I really want to.. can anyone change my mind? Is the Glo a really bad choice compared to PW or what?

Also, I'm confused about DRM stuff. I understand that if I download books from the Glo website or whatever, or from Amazon, some files are copyrighted. But I can easily send files from my PC to my Glo, right? And it will read (assuming that the file type is supported)?

Also, do I need to be connected online or have an account or something?

Top Bottom