• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Levi

Banned
Is their a folder system or something for the paperwhite? I have about 99 books on my currently and going through them is a major pain in the fucking ass. Is there a way to sort them that I'm not aware of?

Folders are called "collections". Long press a book to add it to a collection.

Ledsen

I've got two quick questions. I own a Kindle now (the model called just "Kindle) and want to buy another one for my wife. If I put my Amazon account on it, will we have any problems sharing books? Also, she enjoys the Enconomist so it'd be great to have it on an easy-to-read device. Is there a non-table Kindle that's particularly good for magazines? I'm not sure how the Paperwhite screen compares to the E Ink.

Thanks!

The paperwhite screen is just an e-ink screen with attached lights on the sides.

Tom_Cody

The paperwhite screen is just an e-ink screen with attached lights on the sides.
Well, a bit more complicated than that:

FgC2v9P.png
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/26/technology/light-reading.html

Bu yeah, to answer Gigglepoo's original question, it is e-ink.

Flek

Banned
so i just got a new normal kindle 4 cheap to replace my old kindle1. But i feel like the screen quality on the 4 is worde than on tne 1!?

bangai-o

Banned
i purchased this and it was amazing. I horror comic with some disturbed looking artwork.

51iHx1OJQCL.__AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_.jpg

Before the end there was a reference to Swamp Thing, bu I was unsure if i needed to read that before continuing to V2. But when i went to purchase V2, I learn it is not available on Paperwhite.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B14FN9W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Very dissapointing. I dont know what they are thinking just making this for the Android users is crud.

anyway, i just noticed V1 has the option to "loan this book" so if anyone wants to borrow it let me know (send me your email). It states,
The publisher has set the following lending terms: this book can be loaned once for a duration of 14 days.

NekoFever

How does preordering books before release work? Will they just show up on the Kindle on release day? What sort of time does that happen?

Nymerio

Has anyone had it happen that the PW almost completely turns off the lighting? I don't know if it was really completely off but the other time I noticed that the lighting seemed kinda weird, so I went into the light settings and there wasn't even a bar that indicated at what level it was. I pushed the plus button once it was back to normal but I couldn't go back down to whatever it was before.

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it.

Should I put a screen protector on it? I have a serious OCD and don't know what to do haha.

I already got it a Kensington Folio Case, not sure if that is enough.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it.

Should I put a screen protector on it? I have a serious OCD and don't know what to do haha.

I already got it a Kensington Folio Case, not sure if that is enough.

Of course you shouldn't. It's a matte screen.

Just found out that Agent of Change is currently free on Amazon.

51IFwL1HtRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Agent of Change is the first book written in the Liaden Universe series, which is an awesome and incredibly fun space opera series featuring fast-talking space pilots, secret agent assassins, giant singing turtles, sentient trees and murderous aliens and gambling and shootouts and high-stakes politeness contests.

It's awesome. This first book is actually one of the weakest in the series, but it gets oh so much better. And it's free, so you can't beat the price.

I'm a little confused, Goodreads says that it is the 8th book in the series. If I read it first, I'll be okay?

coopolon

So my Kindle Paperwhite has always had an annoying bug where after turning it on, it would give a message something like "collecting information, will restart when finished." It would then work fine for a minute or two, and then it would restart. And it would be fine until the next time I turned it off, and then it would do it again when I would turn it on again. (and by off and on I'm just talking pressing the power button once to go into sleep or whatever.)

REading around online it wasn't very common but a few other people have had the issue. The only solution seemed to be doing a forced restart by holding the power button down for 20 seconds and then letting it reboot. In my case, that would work for about a week or two, and then it would start doing it again.

Today it did it and I did a force restart and I guess that just killed my kindle. Now it won't go past the start screen, just shows the guy reading under the tree and the circle icon turning underneath him. Charging it did not fix the problem.

So I contacted Kindle support and in my very first message said, "My kindle is not responsive. I have tried holding the power button down for 20 seconds and charging it and neither fixed the problem." The support lady said, "Sorry to hear that, I'll send you a new kindle." Obviously I am well within warranty so that was expected, but I did appreciate they didn't make me go through a bunch of bullshit troubleshooting steps which I had already done.

Anyway, hope to have better luck with the next one. I love the device and am not looking forward to having to use the keyboard for a few days while waiting for it.

Dang it, my brand new kindle paperwhite is once again doing the "Collecting information. May take a min. Will restart when done." Every time I turn it on now. Only had it for about a week. The fact that this has happened now to two kindle paperwhites makes me think it's something I'm doing, but I don't have a clue what it is. The only thing I can think of is I have a mixture of amazon books and non-amazon books I loaded via Calibre.

Guess I'm going to contact Amazon support when I get home and hope they don't blame me.

DagsJT

Lately my Paperwhite estimated times have been way off, to the point where it thinks every chapter is 1m long now. So I did some Googling and found this on the Amazon forum:

D. Aragon says:
You can reset the timer by tapping the search icon when in a book, then searching for:

;ReadingTimeReset

Note that it's case sensitive, with that semicolon in front. Then when you go back to your book you'll see that the time to read is being recalculated.

Just tried it and it works great. Handy little tip to remember.

Nymerio

So now that Amazon acquired GoodReads I hope that it automatically adds my Kindle library to my GoodReads library. I'm too lazy to update it on my own.

The screen on my Kindle Keyboard broke today and it's out of warranty :( They offered me a regular Kindle for £55.20 (instead of £69) or a Touch (wifi only) for £67.99. Couldn't see the Touch on the website though, has it been replaced by the Paperwhite? It's a total pain in the arse whichever I get as I've got a lighted cover which I won't be able to use with either. Not sure which to get, does the Touch have any advantages over the regular model? I like the look of the Paperwhite, but I don't think I can justify spending double on it (it's £109 and they wouldn't do me a deal on it). Not sure what to do.

flowsnake

The screen on my Kindle Keyboard broke today and it's out of warranty :( They offered me a regular Kindle for £55.20 (instead of £69) or a Touch (wifi only) for £67.99. Couldn't see the Touch on the website though, has it been replaced by the Paperwhite? It's a total pain in the arse whichever I get as I've got a lighted cover which I won't be able to use with either. Not sure which to get, does the Touch have any advantages over the regular model? I like the look of the Paperwhite, but I don't think I can justify spending double on it (it's £109 and they wouldn't do me a deal on it). Not sure what to do.

The Touch is here but I only see refurbished ones. I'm not aware of any advantage other than the touchscreen itself.

Anyone else just get the new update for their touch, they added the time left in chapter feature as well as changed the whole interface for the touch.

jayb

Anyone else just get the new update for their touch, they added the time left in chapter feature as well as changed the whole interface for the touch.

Yeah, it came out several months ago. I just manually installed it from Amazon's site, ratherthan waiting for them to push it to me.

I just got the Kindle version of the Mistborn trilogy since it dropped to a more reasonable price, and on one of the first pages, it says that it is DRM-free. Is that really true? I did not see a way to copy it to another Kindle.

jayb

I just got the Kindle version of the Mistborn trilogy since it dropped to a more reasonable price, and on one of the first pages, it says that it is DRM-free. Is that really true? I did not see a way to copy it to another Kindle.

Mount your kindle to a computer like you do a flash drive, and try copying the file to another kindle.

heytred

Neo Member
Anyone here use Calibre?

It's fucking awesome. I know it sounds dumb, but I really enjoy being able to adjust the metadata of books I have in my library. Simple stuff such as choosing from multiple covers & whatnot, but still - it's an awesome program.

Ledsen

Anyone here use Calibre?

It's fucking awesome. I know it sounds dumb, but I really enjoy being able to adjust the metadata of books I have in my library. Simple stuff such as choosing from multiple covers & whatnot, but still - it's an awesome program.

I use it, but mainly for putting non-Amazon books on my Kindle.

Salsa

Calibre is the best

all my books go through there because I always insert a white line between paragraphs. Just prefer it that way and most books wont do it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thinking about ordering the $69 Kindle with Special Offers right now. Any drawbacks? If I get too annoyed I can just remove the special offers for 20$ later right?

Edit: I looked back a few pages and ordered it.

coopolon

Big fan of Calibre as well. I also like how easy it is to use it to strip DRM out of Kindle and Nook books. Whenever I buy a new book the first thing I do is download it and strip the DRM so that I never have to worry about losing it or not being able to use it.

I've always kind of wanted to invest some time into learning how to do more with Calibre, it seems like an incredibly powerful program, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I use Calibre all the time to send stuff to my Kindle, and to doctor up PD books I find online (add covers, edit the metadata, reformat, etc.). Great program, anyone with an ereader ought to give it a try.

Thinking about ordering the $69 Kindle with Special Offers right now. Any drawbacks? If I get too annoyed I can just remove the special offers for 20$ later right?

Edit: I looked back a few pages and ordered it.

The ads are not obtrusive in any way shape or form. I actually kinda like them to see whats out there as a special deal since 90% of the ads I get tell me what the Kindle Daily Deal is.

Laekon

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to read it and for $13 its a good deal.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I lasted 1 day before forking over 20$:

74xEQh3.jpg

Can't deal with it. Been seeing it in my periphials all day.

I'm getting the zip lock case in the mail tomorrow. I might could deal with it when I most likely get the official leather case down the road.

I lasted 1 day before forking over 20$:

Can't deal with it. Been seeing it in my periphials all day.

I'm getting the zip lock case in the mail tomorrow. I might could deal with it when I most likely get the official leather case down the road.

There was a similar dealbreaker image for me, except that it was Twilight.

I hadn't turn on my kindle touch on a couple of months and was pleasantly surprised by the new update. Loving the new cover view, except the second row is all ads.

Top Bottom