• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Kindle Paperwhite Goes on Sale for $20 Off

If you’re looking for a graduation or Mother’s Day gift, you may want to head over to Amazon and snag yourself a Kindle Paperwhite for just $99 with the coupon code “KINDLEPW.”

The Kindle Paperwhite is a dream to use, and it lead us to name it “the Best E-Reader money can buy” when we reviewed it after its release. Knock $20 off the price and it becomes an even better bargain. Amazon is running a special right now through April 30, 2013 – although it notes it can end it sooner if it so chooses – where you can get $20 off any version of the Kindle Paperwhite when you enter the coupon code KINDLEPW during checkout. This knocks down the special offers version to a mere $99 which is difficult to beat.

Ugh, and I passed on the paperwhite to get a fire only because the paperwhite was that $119 and I did want to read in the dark, so I figured I would just splurge on the kindle fire hd since I kind of do like listening to music while i read. Netflix (video in general) and web browsing is cool, but I mostly bought it for reading and I was not sure how much graphics and whatever the regular kindle could handle if I wanted to start getting magazine subscriptions and such at a later date.

I dunno, I kind of regret the fire hd a little bit, but its really not a bad machine the more I use it. It kind of sucks though that they didn't include an actual charger with it. Question, if I use my iPhone charger brick to plug the kindle micro-usb(?) cord into, will that hurt it? I just don't want to spend that $20 on a brick and most of the time I can kind of wait overnight to charge the device to use the next day, but sometimes its nice to have a fast charge if you only have a little downtime to charge.

Pachimari

Got the Paperwhite at my birthday and the last Kindle I had was a Touch. I did NOT expect it to be that small, thin and light-weight. Wow.

Fatalah

Is there a way to sync Pocket with Kindle?

photo.jpg

sup guys, got a quick noob question

i got a free kindlewhite 3g from buying a cell phone at Rogers recently, but i want to sell it to a friend. i have 3g tied on my existing phone so i was wondering, if he was to purchase the kindle from me there's no way he can download books from my 3G data right?

i was just a little cautious because everytime i reset/erase full data the kindle i see the 3G data logo at the top of the screen.

thanks if you can help!

Ledsen

i got a free kindlewhite 3g from buying a cell phone at Rogers recently, but i want to sell it to a friend. i have 3g tied on my existing phone so i was wondering, if he was to purchase the kindle from me there's no way he can download books from my 3G data right?

i was just a little cautious because everytime i reset/erase full data the kindle i see the 3G data logo at the top of the screen.

thanks if you can help!

Pretty sure the 3G on the Kindle is completely free and has nothing to do with your carrier.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You guys use any special protection for your kindles at the beach? I don't want to get sand all up in it and shit. Maybe just a ziploc bag or something?

That looks like it would work, I already have the official K3 leather cover though. I think I just need something like the plastic cover. I have a paperwhite too but I prefer the K3

I used K3 at the beach for 2 years until someone gave me the paperwhite in January. I don't understand why you would get the Kindle full of sand unless you throw it (and leave it) in the sand. If I were you, I'd buy a cheap $5 sleeve for the K3 so you can toss it in the sand all you want!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Whoa, I just saw a comparison video between the new Kobo and Paperwhite and it blows the Paperwhite away! I still think its too big and that the price and Amazon store are too much to compete against but Amazon had better increase the Kindle's resolution and speed if it wants to keep Kobo at bay.

Do you think Amazon will do nothing come the fall? Of course they are going to increase the speed of the Kindle. I would imagine the resolution too. But I'm not sure if they make 6 inch e-ink screens with 265 DPI yet. Amazon could relaunch the DX line, I guess.

There will be other improvements to the next Kindle line. I imagine they are still working on perfecting the lighting tech. Maybe make some interface changes and possibly bring back things like audio features.

Nonetheless, my Paperwhite is perfect for me right now and for many years to come. The resolution is a wonderful improvement over my K2 and the lighting is the greatest thing to happen to e-readers since e-ink. I can't even remotely complain about the speed on it either. For my uses I have no reason to upgrade other than I want something new and shiny. Cheers to all those that are getting new devices though, I'll always be a little jealous of those with the latest and greatest.

Didnt Amazon just bought that company from Samsung that can develop bendable screen and color e-ink.
But i doubt it'll be out a year or two from now

Do you think Amazon will do nothing come the fall? Of course they are going to increase the speed of the Kindle. I would imagine the resolution too. But I'm not sure if they make 6 inch e-ink screens with 265 DPI yet. Amazon could relaunch the DX line, I guess.

There will be other improvements to the next Kindle line. I imagine they are still working on perfecting the lighting tech. Maybe make some interface changes and possibly bring back things like audio features.

Nonetheless, my Paperwhite is perfect for me right now and for many years to come. The resolution is a wonderful improvement over my K2 and the lighting is the greatest thing to happen to e-readers since e-ink. I can't even remotely complain about the speed on it either. For my uses I have no reason to upgrade other than I want something new and shiny. Cheers to all those that are getting new devices though, I'll always be a little jealous of those with the latest and greatest.

I will make a guess and say they'll finally try to make a device with enough accessibility features so that they can finally kill off the Kindle Keyboard. I bet the result will also be a competitor to the Kobo Aura.

I'm really interested in seeing a higher resolution screen and more font choices. They'll probably also push more Audible-Kindle combo technology.

kottila

Never heard of Wool before, but the combination of the price, blurbs (lol) and description won me over. into the backlog it goes

I'm glad I checked, Finally Glen Cook's Black Company (1st chronicle) is finally on kindle
Word of warning: They have the books split out seperately but they also have the Chronicle , which contains all three books for $7.99. Unfortunately I found this out after I purchased the first book.

Never heard of Wool before, but the combination of the prize, blurbs (lol) and description won me over. into the backlog it goes

You have to take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt as I'm a nut for almost all books post-apocalypse but I really loved Wool. I describe it as a story of what life is like in the (successful) Fallout vaults.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You have to take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt as I'm a nut for almost all books post-apocalypse but I really loved Wool. I describe it as a story of what life is like in the (successful) Fallout vaults.

Well I'm a sucker for post-apocolyptic shit too, so I may have to check it out. Though if it gets too fanciful I get bored quickly.

Ledsen

If you want good postapocalyptic, read Roadside Picnic. Its a classic russian novel that also happens to be the basis for both Tarkovskijs lauded movie Stalker and the video game with the same name.

New Kindle Daily Deal is up and it's a good one.

11 Classic Literatures for $1.99 each

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_lin..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1558175442&pf_rd_i=1000677541

I'm going to pick up the Hemingway complete short story collection and possibly The Cider House Rules although I just bought Owen Meany and haven't started it yet.

Nice. Picked up Gone With the Wind. Would've gotten Cider House Rules as well as I love John Irving but it just so happens I purchased that already.

How are The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms for a casual reader who is just reading for fun (and usually reads after being away at work for 10 hours and doesn't need to be completely 'challenged').

Nice. Picked up Gone With the Wind. Would've gotten Cider House Rules as well as I love John Irving but it just so happens I purchased that already.

Hoping we see Garp on sale in the near future since we've had two Irving sales in such a short period of time.

GAFfers from the book thread are tempting me to buy A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. My backlog was getting under control...

thanks if you can help!

Ahhhh, so that's why I was able to get a sealed one for $150, only to find a few also advertised on my local trading site. I was worried that there were fakes out there or something!

On a side note, what's a great-looking Paperwhite case that's affordable? I bought an awesome M-Edge case for my Kindle 3 for $20 on sale, so are there any cool ones for around that price right now?

Pegasos123

a couple days ago i thought ... how would it be to read manga on the kindle of my girlfriend :-D

i looked a bit in the internet but found nothing. Is there a source where a can get all the manga in PDF format? can the kindle read png and jpg?

Socreges

Banned
Speaking of PDFs, is Calibre effective at making them readable on non-XL Kindles? Like, can you modify them so that a 10-page PDF (which has tiny text on the Kindle) could be adjusted to a, say, 25-page PDF document that has an appropriately-sized text?

The SendToKindle program is awesome (so is the Chrome app). I'm now so tempted to send my PDFs there, but they're unreadable in their current condition.

Socreges

Banned

How are The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms for a casual reader who is just reading for fun (and usually reads after being away at work for 10 hours and doesn't need to be completely 'challenged').

Pretty great! Which Hemingway book would be the one to get out of these?
The Sun Also Rises is a great novel, imo. Highly recommended and a fun read.

Never read A Farewell to Arms, but might grab it. Currently reading Old Man and the Sea, coincidentally, which is incredibly short but not available in that sale for some reason.

kharma45

Just noticed a bright white stuck pixel in the middle of my Paperwhite screen :\ only visible if you have the light at level 5 or above and I'd been using it without since I'd go it. Gonna give Amazon a buzz and see what they say about it.

Busaiku

So my mom's birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting her a Kindle Fire HD.
Don't know anything about Tablets or anything (neither does she), but I just wanted something to replace her old laptop that's been having problems lately.

She primarily browses and talks to people through Skype and Google+.
Should I get this or something else?

I was considering this since it's relatively cheap compared to other stuff.

kharma45

And there was me expecting that my replacement Kindle would be good and as soon as I turn it on I see this :\ Any chance of this fading away or does it need to go back? It annoys me more than the one stuck pixel.

Screen is less white too, quite apparent when placed alongside the one this was sent out to replace.

mantidor

And there was me expecting that my replacement Kindle would be good and as soon as I turn it on I see this :\ Any chance of this fading away or does it need to go back? It annoys me more than the one stuck pixel.

Screen is less white too, quite apparent when placed alongside the one this was sent out to replace.

Well, that's awful.

I have the tiniest black scratch in the screen, I decided to not be bothered by it because I live outside the US and the guarantee process is a pain, but you should try to get another replacement, at least it won't take six months like the last time I attempted international guarantee.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's about that time for new Kindles to start arriving.

Top Bottom