• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Lumiere

Neo Member
Yeah, my concern - and I was probably unclear - was that she might get some hint that she's getting this Kindle as a birthday gift if I register it before her birthday. Emails, etc. are irrelevant -- it only really matters if she'll see it on her existing Kindle, where she does all her buying, etc.
I don't believe there is anything that would give it away in her Kindle device. If she doesn't buy ebooks from Amazon at all, you should be safe. :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
mine glitched on me last night as well. i had to to a hard reset twice to get it back to normal.

Was there an automatic update maybe that's anti-DRM or something of that nature?

By hard reset do you mean the 30-second hold or the Reset option in settings that basically wipes the drive and restores it to factory settings?

bangai-o

Banned
Was there an automatic update maybe that's anti-DRM or something of that nature?

By hard reset do you mean the 30-second hold or the Reset option in settings that basically wipes the drive and restores it to factory settings?

i couldnt get to the options due to it being crashed, so I had to do the hold for 30 seconds deal. it works fine again. could have been an update, or just mine. have no idea.

Flek

Banned
are you guys using a cover for your kindle?

i do but it anoys me and iam wondering if it would damage if i just toss it in my bag without a case …

coopolon

i do but it anoys me and iam wondering if it would damage if i just toss it in my bag without a case …

I dont. I keep it in my backpack, going on a year with no problems. I hate covers, we pay all this money for super thin and light devices and then add covers that increase their bulk. I would get a sleeve for it though, something to protect it a little when not in use but comes on and off super quickly.

WowBaby

I always use a cover. I find it uncomfortable not to. It feels like its going to slip out of my hands. That and I want to have it protected at all times.

I use the official Kindle cover and love it. Before I got it, I had a zippered sleeve. You might like that if you are worried about damage.

I don't really have a preference for holding it in the case or not, but I mostly keep it in. The official one is really slim and so it's still quite small even in the case. It also feels great to hold.

I use the official Kindle cover and love it. Before I got it, I had a zippered sleeve. You might like that if you are worried about damage.

I don't really have a preference for holding it in the case or not, but I mostly keep it in. The official one is really slim and so it's still quite small even in the case. It also feels great to hold.

Ditto. I can't recommend the official cover enough. Good protection, feels good in the hands, and the auto/on off feature is great.

chiQ

Use common sense. If you chuck it into a bag with a big bunch of keys chances are damage will be done. The screen can be damaged more easily than the back. If you slide it between books, facing the side of the bag, or into a pocket it should be fine.

I have the Amazon case and love it, but it won't fit into my computer bag, so I take it out of the case and slide it in beside my notebook when I have that bag.

bangai-o

Banned
have anyone here notice that when you read with highlights on, you will see that everyone highlights the same passages? Its like readers reach a line of text and go, "oh, thats been highlighted 700 times. I guess ill highlight it too!"And then, nothing else is highlighted for the next few chapters, until another passage is highlighted 800 times. There is clearly other passages that deserve a few highlights, and they dont all have to be deep or meaningful, you can just highlight something that is funny, personal, or even useful, but instead everyone out there highlights the same exact lines.

Socreges

Banned
have anyone here notice that when you read with highlights on, you will see that everyone highlights the same passages? Its like readers reach a line of text and go, "oh, thats been highlighted 700 times. I guess ill highlight it too!"And then, nothing else is highlighted for the next few chapters, until another passage is highlighted 800 times. There is clearly other passages that deserve a few highlights, and they dont all have to be deep or meaningful, you can just highlight something that is funny, personal, or even useful, but instead everyone out there highlights the same exact lines.
I'd assumed that the system was just showing me the passages that had been highlighted the most times, and thus it looks like what you're describing.

Nymerio

I noticed that, but I think it only displays highlights that have been highlighted a minimum number of times.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So I woke up this morning to discover that all of the books on my device had disappeared. Under My Items the count was 0. I had nothing under Books either, but oddly (even though My Items was 0), under Docs I found all of my .mobi and .PDF files. None of my .azw3 files are in there.

I plugged the device in and all of the files are still there. I tried restarting and a hard restart (hold power button for 30 seconds) and neither fixed the issue.

I backed up my documents, reset my entire Kindle, and then transferred them back over. Everything seemed normal, but then I switched to Docs view and back to My Items and they disappeared again! I even tried again but switched to the clean, original files (not the ones I backed up from the Kindle, but the ones I have archived on my hard drive)

What's going on?

edit: it seems like transferring a small # of books over works fine (even .azw3). I wonder if there are a few corrupt files or something?

I finally had time to debug this a little bit. It looks like the entire issue is caused by a single .mobi file. If the book is on my Kindle, all of the weird stuff happens. As soon as I delete it, everything goes back to normal.

Not sure what I should do to fix it, I'll just keep it off my Kindle for now.

The Sisters Brothers is a Daily Deal! Buy buy buy!

For those who don't know, it's a fantastic western with great characterization and genuine wit that was nominated for a Booker Prize last year.

And Mr. deWitt is Canadian, if there are any fellow canucks here :D.

http://amzn.com/B005CVV1QE

dLMN8R

I honestly can't imagine a pure reading device more perfect than the Paperwhite, so it seems like a solid buy unless you think a price cut is right around the corner.

Seriously, I can't imagine what features could be added to the Paperwhite without compromising something (weight, battery life, etc.)

plc268

I honestly can't imagine a pure reading device more perfect than the Paperwhite, so it seems like a solid buy unless you think a price cut is right around the corner.

Seriously, I can't imagine what features could be added to the Paperwhite without compromising something (weight, battery life, etc.)

If anything, Amazon will likely update the paperwhite to match the Kobo Aura HD, but in a smaller package.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's what is always said before an update. Then the update comes out and shows you what you wish you had.

I'm still OK with my Kindle Keyboard but man if I don't want to upgrade. Waiting for the news. Amazon is pretty good at keeping a lid on Kindle updates.

vazel

Banned
There is still much that can be improved. The front light can be made better so there's no discoloration at the bottom. A speaker can be re-added for those of us that liked to hear audible content on our Kindles. Input lag can be reduced. With Amazon now putting more emphasis into comics color e-ink is sure to come within the next few Kindle generations(digital comics sales exploded in 2012 with $70 million in revenue compared with $25 million in 2011) .

dLMN8R

That's what is always said before an update. Then the update comes out and shows you what you wish you had.

I'm still OK with my Kindle Keyboard but man if I don't want to upgrade. Waiting for the news. Amazon is pretty good at keeping a lid on Kindle updates.

Nah, before the Paperwhite there were obvious things like a backlight.

Nymerio

There is still much that can be improved. The front light can be made better so there's no discoloration at the bottom. A speaker can be re-added for those of us that liked to hear audible content on our Kindles. Input lag can be reduced. With Amazon now putting more emphasis into comics color e-ink is sure to come within the next few Kindle generations(digital comics sales exploded in 2012 with $70 million in revenue compared with $25 million in 2011) .

This is something I'll never understand. Coming from a Kindle 3 with the official reading light I found the Paperwhite's backlight to be perfect. How perfectly lit does it really have to be? I could understand this if I were viewing someting where color was crucial, but when reading a book?

Ledsen

This is something I'll never understand. Coming from a Kindle 3 with the official reading light I found the Paperwhite's backlight to be perfect. How perfectly lit does it really have to be? I could understand this if I were viewing someting where color was crucial, but when reading a book?

Yeah, compare it to reading an actual book under a light... it's not perfectly even.

chiQ

I have replaced my Touch with a Paperwhite, and love it. I don't listen to Audible on my Kindle (use phone and tablet), so I'm not missing that, but the screen is awesome.

I have to say that I wouldn't have done so if the PW hadn't been seriously discounted locally. I can sell my Touch and its lighted cover for the same amount I paid for the PW.

coopolon

Yup, and there is no actual text in the unevenly lit part except for location info. It has absolutely no impact on usability, but I can understand it bothering people's ocd.

Well, I guess I should say that is what I have seen in the three paperwhites I've held and pictures online Maybe someone has a much worst one where its getting up into the text area?

I would like all these things. Even faster refresh, better battery life, and higher PPI are all desirable, as well.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Yeah, compare it to reading an actual book under a light... it's not perfectly even.
It might not be as even as a book is in a well-lighted room - but then, if you're in a well-lighted room you wouldn't need to be using the light for the Paperwhite anyway.
If we're talking about reading in a dimly illuminated room, I find the Paperwhite a lot more comfortable to read on compared to a book with a bedside lamp or similar.

Ledsen

It might not be as even as a book is in a well-lighted room - but then, if you're in a well-lighted room you wouldn't need to be using the light for the Paperwhite anyway.
If we're talking about reading in a dimly illuminated room, I find the Paperwhite a lot more comfortable to read on compared to a book with a bedside lamp or similar.

You misunderstand me, I'm saying even reading a normal book the light isn't even a lot of the time, so why would you need the pw to be?

vazel

Banned
You misunderstand me, I'm saying even reading a normal book the light isn't even a lot of the time, so why would you need the pw to be?
For an even more accurate book reading experience how about adding paper imperfections to the next e-ink screen. You know, all those errant fibers in the cheap paper used in mass market paperbacks. They can even make it so the screen yellows over time when exposed to sunlight. They can also replicate the stinky smell of old yellowed paper, but maybe that's going too far...

LuffyZoro

For an even more accurate book reading experience how about adding paper imperfections to the next e-ink screen. You know, all those errant fibers in the cheap paper used in mass market paperbacks. They can even make it so the screen yellows over time when exposed to sunlight. They can also replicate the stinky smell of old yellowed paper, but maybe that's going too far...

If they were able to do that, they could give every .mobi that new book smell.

chiQ

LOL

I don't notice the uneven lighting at the bottom, probably because I don't have my text from edge to edge, but keep a margin on all sides. I can see why someone who doesn't have margins set will be annoyed, but in that case they can just set margins and get over it, IMO.

I'm so bossy.

I'm looking to get my first kindle, at this point i figured i should at least wait to see what the new features are. Are there any rumors?

Well there's a rumor of new fire coming out so there might be an Amazon Event this fall.
Hopefully new ereader version
I'm waiting for new paperwhite

yyzjohn

Banned
Well there's a rumor of new fire coming out so there might be an Amazon Event this fall.
Hopefully new ereader version
I'm waiting for new paperwhite

They usually refresh the eink line every year so I'll be expecting one soon but you're right they seem to go nuts over kindle tablet rumors but nobody digs up anything on the eink models.

Wow, I decided to look up prices of used Kindles and they're really low, at least in the US. Maybe I'll get a Paperwhite if the new ones are released, the price might drop to $40 or less.

GRW810

I've never had an e-reader but I'm considering asking for one for my birthday. I'd love a Kindle Fire for the extra features but I'm more likely looking at the basic Kindle. The Paperwhite looks rather nice but unless I can grab one for under £100 I might have to pass.

Another worry is splashing out for a device and then better products coming out soon after, reducing the price of mine. How regularly do Kindles drop in price and usually by how much?

Ledsen

I've never had an e-reader but I'm considering asking for one for my birthday. I'd love a Kindle Fire for the extra features but I'm more likely looking at the basic Kindle. The Paperwhite looks rather nice but unless I can grab one for under £100 I might have to pass.

Another worry is splashing out for a device and then better products coming out soon after, reducing the price of mine. How regularly do Kindles drop in price and usually by how much?

Kindle fire isn't an e-reader, it's a tablet like an iPad. It doesn't have an e-ink screen.

Is there a solution for syncing personal documents between a Kindle Fire and other devices? I have a mobi file that I want to both read and annotate/highlight, but any reading or highlighting I've done won't sync to my iPhone app. My old keyboard kindle and iPhone app will sync this same document between each other just fine. But still seemingly zero communication to the Fire. If personal document syncing is really just busted on the Fire then that's a huuuge bummer.

Top Bottom