• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Yeah I know, but you can read books on them plus more for just a bit extra than a paperwhite.

Unless you want to go through the trouble of rooting the device to get yourself out of the Fire's Amazon obsession, I would just forgo the Fire and load a Kindle app onto a Nexus or other comparable product.

Plus, e-ink really is a feature worth a dedicated device for.

shamo42

The only thing that would improve the paperwhite for me would be to re introduce the page turn buttons.

This. I also hope for a better e-ink screen with more contrast. Since the Kindle Keyboard from 2010 the contrast hasn't improved at all afaik. Whites need to get whiter and darks pitch black.

The Keyboard looks pretty good, and they've got the whole "quality variance of e-ink" thing taken care of, and it looks better than a cheap paperback, but it's still a bit muddier than a good, well designed paper book. There's always room for more improvement. Better resolution, better contrast, more gradients in the grays, etc.

chiQ

The Keyboard looks pretty good, and they've got the whole "quality variance of e-ink" thing taken care of, and it looks better than a cheap paperback, but it's still a bit muddier than a good, well designed paper book. There's always room for more improvement. Better resolution, better contrast, more gradients in the grays, etc.

Oh yeah, higher resolution and soft gradient, absolutely. I was asking why the contrast. It's the one thing I don't think needs work. I don't like absolutely white backgrounds for reading at all. The ebook reader I used to use on my PalmOS devices was always set to a cream background for just that reason. If we were talking colour picture books I'd be into it, but for B&W no.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's almost the end of August and still no Kindle leaks. Huh. It might mean another year with my Keyboard. I'm OK with that.

Ledsen

Oh yeah, higher resolution and soft gradient, absolutely. I was asking why the contrast. It's the one thing I don't think needs work. I don't like absolutely white backgrounds for reading at all. The ebook reader I used to use on my PalmOS devices was always set to a cream background for just that reason. If we were talking colour picture books I'd be into it, but for B&W no.

IMO the contrast of a physical book is the gold standard, and the PW isn't really anywhere near that.

IMO the contrast of a physical book is the gold standard, and the PW isn't really anywhere near that.

Books aren't created equal. PW exceeds every mass market paperback I've seen (I'd guess these are what most people read too). A properly illuminated e-ink Pearl screen (which is easier to attain than any physical book) is in many ways better than the average trade paperback even. A nice new hardcover can have beautiful white pages and deep dark ink, but there is no standard there either, and I would never say a PW is isn't anywhere near it in quality. It's a step down in contrast, but not much.

It would be nice for e-ink to have the ability for even greater contrast, but where it's at now there is nothing stopping me from getting engrossed in a book. Even on my Kindle 2, I never stopped reading because of the lesser contrast. The PW is by far my best reading experience. I'll take the smaller form factor and lighter weight or a hardcover's contrast any day.

chiQ

I disagree. Compared to most of my books the paperwhite is pretty much there contrast-wise, and far outstrips them for clarity, due to sharpness.

shamo42

I disagree. Compared to most of my books the paperwhite is pretty much there contrast-wise, and far outstrips them for clarity, due to sharpness.

Thanks the the PW's illuminated screen, contrast seems better. Turn brightness up and whites get whiter. Without that illumination however, contrast is far from perfect imo. 

What I want is better contrast without any illumination. This would allow for a more natural reading experience and improved battery life.

Thanks the the PW's illuminated screen, contrast seems better. Turn brightness up and whites get whiter. Without that illumination however, contrast is far from perfect imo. 

What I want is better contrast without any illumination. This would allow for a more natural reading experience and improved battery life.

I'm not sure why one would ever not keep the screen properly illuminated. Outside on a bright sunny day you don't need the light, and screen is gorgeous. But when you don't have that kind of environment it's always worth it to use the light. And the PW illuminates the screen perfectly.

I'm not even sure how the PW is an unnatural reading experience. You need light to read. It's built in to the reader. It's far better than and other artificial lighting source on any other medium. It's the best lighting for reading, period

I get what your saying, though, yes there can be improvements. From me though e-ink readers are the improvement on paper books. From clay tablets, to scrolls, to codices, to e-readers. It's still early on with e-readers and I expect them to evolve quite a bit more.

chiQ

I mainly read during the day, by natural light only.

firen

Thinking of picking up a Kindle Paperwhite for reading purposes only. Any reason I shouldn't? (new model incoming, better options available..etc)

Thinking of picking up a Kindle Paperwhite for reading purposes only. Any reason I shouldn't? (new model incoming, better options available..etc)

There might be a new model coming in the next two months or so. No rumors on my watch though, just better tablets.

Also, I encourage you to buy used if that doesn't bother you, due to how fast prices drop after the box is opened.

There's some pretty good deals today on the Kindle store. Any recommendations from this list?

Handmaid's Tale if you want an excellent dystopian woman-focused novel. Infinite Jest is better experienced in print due to the appendix/footnotes, but if you want it more portable the digital version will do. I've heard good things about Brain Rules but never read it myself

Pocket integrated into Kobo's. Wish Amazon would do this.

PKTBlog_KoboLanch_0006_1-Header2.png

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Why is that?
On a completely shallow front, I prefer how the Kobo e-readers look, and I like their greater variety of font choices (even with the Paperwhite's new fonts, I've yet to find a font on the Kindle that I really like). Most of my interest though comes from the fact that Kobo's devices are more open--they natively support ePub, and while my library's Kindle selection is growing, there are still many more books available for checkout in ePub format than there are for Kindle. Perhaps most importantly, I can buy Kobo books from independent bookstores, allowing me to support bookstores (if only marginally) while still enjoying the convenience of eBooks.

There are still some quirks--I believe Adobe ePubs require a download of Adobe's library software before they can be transferred onto a device, James Baldwin's library is coming out on Kindle on the 17th but isn't yet available on Kobo, and so on--but if I'm going to own an e-reader, I'd prefer to own the device that's more open and indie-friendly.

Native Pocket support's also a nice incentive. I do most of my Pocket reading on my phone, and it'd be great to be able to read long essays and short stories on a proper screen.

I should totally do PR for Kobo.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Any Japanese Kindle owner?

I was wondering two things about them:
- Can they be imported (from Amazon or some other site)?
- Is the Japanese dictionary any good? As in, it works like the any other country-specific Kindle of any other country-specific Amazon?

I suck at reading Japanese. I have to look words up all the time, so having a Japanese Kindle would greatly help me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On a completely shallow front, I prefer how the Kobo e-readers look, and I like their greater variety of font choices (even with the Paperwhite's new fonts, I've yet to find a font on the Kindle that I really like). Most of my interest though comes from the fact that Kobo's devices are more open--they natively support ePub, and while my library's Kindle selection is growing, there are still many more books available for checkout in ePub format than there are for Kindle. Perhaps most importantly, I can buy Kobo books from independent bookstores, allowing me to support bookstores (if only marginally) while still enjoying the convenience of eBooks.

There are still some quirks--I believe Adobe ePubs require a download of Adobe's library software before they can be transferred onto a device, James Baldwin's library is coming out on Kindle on the 17th but isn't yet available on Kobo, and so on--but if I'm going to own an e-reader, I'd prefer to own the device that's more open and indie-friendly.

Native Pocket support's also a nice incentive. I do most of my Pocket reading on my phone, and it'd be great to be able to read long essays and short stories on a proper screen.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't really know much about e-Readers, so I don't really know the difference between Kindle, Kobo, Nook, etc.

I should totally do PR for Kobo.

You mean you don't work for Kobo? Coulda fooled me! ;)

Ledsen

The openness thing is pretty much a moot point once you use Calibre. Sure, it's an extra step, but it's super easy. Besidest, the Amazon store Daily Deal has given me upwards of 20-30 books so far.

vazel

Banned
I can't believe the same company that gave us cheap a la carte music is also the same company that conspired to raise our ebook prices. Fuck you Apple. I don't own an iOS device and now I'll make sure I never do.

yyzjohn

Banned
I can't believe the same company that gave us cheap a la carte music is also the same company that conspired to raise our ebook prices. Fuck you Apple. I don't own an iOS device and now I'll make sure I never do.

You just heard about this now? They're the reason eBook prices went up after the iPad was announced in 2010. Hated those assholes when that happened. Amazon had such a good thing going with ebook discounts and Apple came and screwed it up for a few years.

vazel

Banned
I'll upgrade for the faster CPU alone. The laggyness of the Kindles really bugs me.

Looks like Goodreads integration is in like many people suspected would come when Amazon acquired them.

LOL at achievements.

Aww, damit! just bought mine like a day or two ago :|

Well good thing the "accidental announcement" doesn't hold anything substantially better(at least for me).

yyzjohn

Banned
GoodReads integration is nice. You guys think any of this is going to be available for the current PW?

I don't see why not, surely GoodReads integration would only need a software update. (and it says in that image "coming soon" so not even the new paperwhite will ship with it)

Nymerio

Yeah, but x-ray is software only as well and I don't think that came to older versions of the kindle. And I wouldn't put it past amazon to make this exclusive to the new version. I hope not though.

Top Bottom