• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

is there anyway to search for specific books by title? i have like a 100 books on my kindle... and no matter what i try when i search, it just seems to look for passages.

paperwhite.

is there anyway to search for specific books by title? i have like a 100 books on my kindle... and no matter what i try when i search, it just seems to look for passages.

paperwhite.

If you go to 'manage kindle' on the amazon website you can search titles. I don't know how to do that from the kindle itself though.

kottila

paperwhite.

Put yout books in collections, makes it much easier to find specific books

Aww, damit! just bought mine like a day or two ago :|

Well good thing the "accidental announcelment" doesn't hold anything substantially better(at least for me).

You should've visited this thread earlier, people have been saying for months that they would announce new models in september

I'm looking at the tap zones of the screen in the online manual. Am I right in thinking that there doesn't seem to be a way to comfortably go to the next page while holding the Kindle with the left hand?
kindle_easyreach1.jpg

I was going to give it a try without buttons but this seems a huge oversight.

I'm looking at the tap zones of the screen in the online manual. Am I right in thinking that there doesn't seem to be a way to comfortably go to the next page while holding the Kindle with the left hand?
kindle_easyreach1.jpg

they still don't have a left handed mode!?

Volotaire

How is reading full newspapers on the kindle (specifically paperwhite).

The ones I am talking about are the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, The Independent/Guardian, the Economist (if it's available),

It is seriously easy to do left handing reading. Reaching your thumb to the next page zone is easy, easier than turning a physical page in a paper book. I switch my left and right hands often on my PW.

kottila

How is reading full newspapers on the kindle (specifically paperwhite).

The ones I am talking about are the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, The Independent/Guardian, the Economist (if it's available),

Not sure, but it is completely useless for photos.

kindle_easyreach1.jpg

its not bad. you barely have to reach at all with your left thumb tbh irl.

Ledsen

kindle_easyreach1.jpg

The thing is so small you're not really doing anything except straightening your thumb a bit.

Gizmodo Hands On
Cnet Hands On

The main thing to know is that Amazon isn't screwing around, the screen really does look a lot better. The frontlight has been completely rebuilt, and it's now even more even across the board. Further, the contrast makes the text look actually white when the light is at full brightness, and more pleasant throughout. That contrast comes from the screen itself, not just the light. The E Ink display is an "all new display stack" that has the same 212 PPI pixel density (the old Kindles have 169), but the display itself makes the text appear sharper.

That carries over to page turns, and how sharp the text looks after a bunch. Ereaders typically "flash" to refresh the screen. In between flashes (until now, every five or six page turns), the text would degrade a little bit every time you turned the page; the reason you wouldn't flash on every page is that it's much slower to load, and distracting. The new Kindle software improves that, though. It still has the ghosting you see in empty space on the new page, where there was text on a previous page you were on, but the text itself holds up better over the course of multiple page turns. The processor also flies from page to page now, noticeably faster than last generation. There was virtually no lag as I zoomed through pages at a time. I got about 10 pages or more before I saw a flash in my brief use. Amazon says that the number you get in actual use is dynamic, based on reading speed, pages read, and the temperature of the unit.

shamo42

Gizmodo Hands On

That contrast comes from the screen itself, not just the light. The E Ink display is an "all new display stack" that has the same 212 PPI pixel density (the old Kindles have 169), but the display itself makes the text appear sharper.

It seem like we finally get new e-ink technology. I've been waiting for this since the Kindle Keyboard in 2010.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there an easy way to migrate books from one kindle to another? My son has my old kindle 3G keyboard, and I might like to get him the paperwhite for christmas. But I'd want to make sure everything is moved across easily and quickly.

He uses the same amazon account as me, but we mostly read different books so there isn't really any overlap

is there an easy way to migrate books from one kindle to another? My son has my old kindle 3G keyboard, and I might like to get him the paperwhite for christmas. But I'd want to make sure everything is moved across easily and quickly.

He uses the same amazon account as me, but we mostly read different books so there isn't really any overlap
Use calibre to transfer his books onto a folder on your pc, then transfer the folder to the new kindle?

Ledsen

Just use the same account for his new Kindle and download the books like you would to any other device with your account (phone, tablet etc).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It seem like we finally get new e-ink technology. I've been waiting for this since the Kindle Keyboard in 2010.

You and me both. I'm finally jumping in after waiting it out for three years. It's enough of an improvement. The other two models were just meh.

E Ink's new higher contrast Carta display is the secret behind Amazon's refreshed Kindle Paperwhite

Amazon peppered its second-gen Kindle Paperwhite announce yesterday with the usual marketing fluff: whiter whites and blacker blacks! But, it turns out, those boasts do have some grounding in reality. E Ink has a new screen tech and, surprise surprise, it's the one that's powering the refreshed Paperwhite's improved readability in sunlight and increased contrast. And the company has some numbers to back those claims too, marking this new "formulation" as offering a 50 percent improvement in contrast over older Kindles, and 20 percent reduction in glare. It's an accurate claim by our estimation, considering we recently had some eyes-on time with the second-gen Paperwhite. Still, it doesn't beat the Kobo Aura HD's screen, but not everything niche can be so nice.

remist

They don't sell a paperwhite with page turn buttons do they? I'm interested in picking up a kindle, but I prefer to have a button instead of using the touch screen. Will the normal kindle get the goodreads integration?

flowsnake

They don't sell a paperwhite with page turn buttons do they? I'm interested in picking up a kindle, but I prefer to have a button instead of using the touch screen. Will the normal kindle get the goodreads integration?

No buttons.

Hard to say but the software improvements of the Paperwhite 1 were backported to the Touch but not the regular Kindle so I would guess not.

yyzjohn

Banned
really wish kindle had some sort of trade in program.

i'm out of family members to give my kindles to lol. maybe i should try buy sell trade here.

I hear you. I'm really trying to justify getting the new Paperwhite (stuck on kindle 4 from 2011), but my current Kindle works fine, sure it has no light but I read with a light all the time anyway.

The upgrades are finally accumulating enough for me to consider moving to a new Paperwhite if my Keyboard bit the dust. It has been a little glitchy lately, so you never know.

Amazon did a good job with their latest releases of services.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Soooo... this new Kindle will refresh the pages much faster ? The one thing that bugs me the most with all ebooks alike is the fact that when I press to turn page, it almost looked like it gives the ebook a heart attack. Plus, it also takes a while to load the next page. If that can be eliminated, I'm definitely onboard the ebook party :)

Any hands-on videos with the new Kindle Paperwhite so we can all see how fast it refreshes each page ?

Soooo... this new Kindle will refresh the pages much faster ? The one thing that bugs me the most with all ebooks alike is the fact that when I press to turn page, it almost looked like it gives the ebook a heart attack. Plus, it also takes a while to load the next page. If that can be eliminated, I'm definitely onboard the ebook party :)

Any hands-on videos with the new Kindle Paperwhite so we can all see how fast it refreshes each page ?

25% faster. haven't really had any issue with refresh rate of the past 2-3 years of ereaders though. Unless you are loading 10mb pdf's or something.

DagsJT

Left my Kindle in work so going to have to use my Nexus 4 to read tonight. Just not even close to being the same, makes me appreciate the Kindle so much more.

Would've considered it if I hadn't bought my first Kindle last year, the paperwhite. Will hold out a good few years before upgrading, I suspect.

NetMapel

That reminds me. Since they seem to like doing annual iteration of Kindles, how easy is it to transfer the books you've already bought on one Kindle to another ? I'm assuming all your books are linked to an account so it transfer easily ?

That reminds me. Since they seem to like doing annual iteration of Kindles, how easy is it to transfer the books you've already bought on one Kindle to another ? I'm assuming all your books are linked to an account so it transfer easily ?

Step 1. Unbox new Kindle.
Step 2. There is no step 2, because Amazon preloads your account onto the Kindle before it even gets to you.

NetMapel

Step 1. Unbox new Kindle.
Step 2. There is no step 2, because Amazon preloads your account onto the Kindle before it even gets to you.

:O~

So what do you do if let's say you give your old Kindle to somebody. I guess you can reset the Kindle and then load in a different account on it yourself ?

Top Bottom