• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Nymerio

Yep, there's an option to remove your account and all books, then you can simply login with a different account and you're done.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Question about the Kindle 3 (the one with the keyboard) sitting on my desk, is the free whispernet connection gone? I noticed it only uses WiFi now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Own a Gen1 Paperwhite and LOVE it. Being able to read an eBook in a dark room truly is a game changer (I use mine outside at night on my porch a lot). eBooks are convenient, don't weigh anything, etc., but not needing a light source is the first real eBook >> physical book moment, for me.

Nothing about gen 2 seems significant enough for me to even really consider upgrading. The hands-on impressions might be glowing but that side-by-side pic sealed it. Seems like the same device.

I like new tech and upgrade frequently but I can see myself using my original Paperwhite for a while until something nuts comes along.

kevm3

What they really need to do is release a Kindle DX paperwhite. I'd consider buying that since I already have a gen1 paperwhite. Paperwhite is excellent for novels and the such, but if you are trying to read programming books or books with different figures and tables, everything gets messed up due to the small size of the screen.

Lanbeast

Anyone know if the new PW will be available in stores at release? I'm leaving for vacation on the evening of October 1st and I'm worried a pre-order through Amazon won't get to me in time.

What's the main difference between my Paperwhite and this new fancy Paperwhite 2 thing? I'm pretty much perfectly pleased with mine so I don't think I'll get the new one but what say you GAF?

I hear you. I'm really trying to justify getting the new Paperwhite (stuck on kindle 4 from 2011), but my current Kindle works fine, sure it has no light but I read with a light all the time anyway.

Same, I have a kindle keyboard and it doesn't have any issues so far and I already have the amazon case with the light so I just don't see a reason. Maybe if mine finally dies but it shows no signs of it happening. Still love my kindle though.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm telling you, paperwhite changes everything. Reading outside at night. Reading in bed when you're actually trying to wind down for sleep, etc etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the main difference between my Paperwhite and this new fancy Paperwhite 2 thing? I'm pretty much perfectly pleased with mine so I don't think I'll get the new one but what say you GAF?

New screen tech. Finally. It's been like three years with the Pearl tech and it's why I never upgraded my Keyboard.

yyzjohn

Banned
Same, I have a kindle keyboard and it doesn't have any issues so far and I already have the amazon case with the light so I just don't see a reason. Maybe if mine finally dies but it shows no signs of it happening. Still love my kindle though.

Yeah my sister dropped her old kindle keyboard and cracked the screen so she ordered the new paper white. Doesn't ship until October and she is going through kindle withdrawal. She tried testing reading in the iPad and she hates it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It needs to hurry up and release already. I'm waiting to start a new book because of that.

Jag

So - anyone with a Paperwhite upgrading to the new Paperwhite? Am I the only die-hard?

I read on my nook tablet every night, but I think I'm going to try out the new Paperwhite. This will be my first foray into Amazon, so I'm not sure if I should get a Paperwhite or the new/old HD Tablet. The pricing of the new Paperwhite and the revised HD are very close. I assume most people also get them without ads?

So - anyone with a Paperwhite upgrading to the new Paperwhite? Am I the only die-hard?

As much as I love my Paperwhite, I couldn't find a compelling enough reason to upgrade. I didn't experience any of the light bleed/splotchiness that plagued others so I'm going to enjoy the one I've got until the next version.

Jag

has there been any word on if the original paperwhite will get any of the new software features? (mainly I want goodreads)

I haven't seen much info on the integration. Just ordered a new Paperwhite, very excited to finally move away from reading on tablets.

What about the new one makes it worth upgrading?

I have some light splotchiness at the bottom of my paperwhite. I would prefer a smoother light experience than the one I currently have. Admittedly for most people that is probably not worth the $139 surcharge, though.

Congrats man, reading on tablets really sucks.

I'm genuinely curious - why do you think it sucks? In my experience the main way in which tablet reading sucks is outdoors, where the Kindle is clearly superior. For indoor reading I find that any high PPI tablet or phone such as the latest iPhones and iPads are just fine for reading indoors.

yyzjohn

Banned
I have some light splotchiness at the bottom of my paperwhite. I would prefer a smoother light experience than the one I currently have. Admittedly for most people that is probably not worth the $139 surcharge, though.

I'm genuinely curious - why do you think it sucks? In my experience the main way in which tablet reading sucks is outdoors, where the Kindle is clearly superior. For indoor reading I find that any high PPI tablet or phone such as the latest iPhones and iPads are just fine for reading indoors.

Not just reading outdoors. Tablet weighs far too much to comfortably hold while laying in bed to read. Also I get eye fatigue from the bright screen shining at me while I read on a tablet.

Jag

I don't get eye fatigue, but the weight and battery life on the nook tablet I use is too much. For my nightstand a small, dedicated reader is what I want.

Wiktor

To me reading in phone or tablet is the same as reading on a laptop, only a bit less convienient, as laptop can lay on it's own on my lap.
In a pinch it will do, but the backlit screens just feel artificial. I already spend so many hours in front of such screens that I don't like to add even more time for books. E-ink just feels more natural. My eyes don't get tired, the text looks nicer, like printed and it just feels like reading a normal book, instead of web page.

chiQ

Ah okay, no definitely not worth any sum to me. I have that too, but don't even notice it.

Is there anything else about the new PW that is better?

It must be the reflective, matt versus shiny, light-emitting screen that makes it better, as nothing else that differentiates my tablet from my Kindle is part of the reading experience. It is WAY nicer reading a Kindle, and I prefer the kindle without the built-in light on. I will always go for an external light source when I have a choice.

its also hella easy to be distracted on tablets/phones lol.

I'd never be able to finish any book if I didn't have a ereader :(

hmmm think i might get around to get the new one ;)

hmmmmm... amazon is offering $70 trade-in.... anyone want to buy my near prestine condition paperwhite for $80-90? xD

So, my Paperwhite v.2 came in today. I never owned a v.1, but I saw enough of them to know they've pretty much fixed the "cloudy light" issue. Seems pretty fast in comparison to my old basic Kindle.

I have a pinhole light leak/dust mote or something on my screen, though. It's really, really tiny, but I know me. I might as well retitle all my books to THERE'S THAT FUCKING SPOT, PART: AGAIN. I'll give it a shot for the evening, but if my eyes are gonna be drawn to it like I figure, it's going back (where, considering my luck with electronics, I will receive a replacement with a dozen light leaks).

Also, they are cheap fuckers when it comes to packing. You know what they ship Kindles in? The retail box. No other packaging. Just the regular old box like you would get at Best Buy or wherever, except with UPS stickers all over it. Mine looked like someone punted it onto the truck.

basic Kindle.

Also, they are cheap fuckers when it comes to packing. You know what they ship Kindles in? The retail box. No other packaging. Just the regular old box like you would get at Best Buy or wherever, except with UPS stickers all over it. Mine looked like someone punted it onto the truck.

They did the same with the last Paperwhite, which was a bad idea. The first gen was in crazy demand and backordered for months, which led to a lot of people getting theirs stolen, since there was no brown box to hide it during transit.

Jag

Got mine yesterday as well. Smaller and lighter than my tablets, but that was the point. Nice and clean look. Stayed up reading way later than I should have which is probably a good endorsement for the device.

I got mine today, and it's definitely noticeably faster than the gen-1, which my girlfriend uses. But, that's to be expected, since it's a spec-bump release. Version 1 had a noticeable touch delay, and this one reduces it significantly.

The light is much, much more even too, and the new software features are nice. I can't wait for the Goodreads update. Overall, I am pleased.

Jagxyz

Got mine yesterday as well. Smaller and lighter than my tablets, but that was the point. Nice and clean look. Stayed up reading way later than I should have which is probably a good endorsement for the device.

Damn, wish I had tried getting Jag when I registered instead of assuming it was taken.

Anyway, super excited about getting the new PW (have keyboard atm). Not having to read with my phone as a light will be a huge fucking improvement, seeing as I seem to be unable to sleep unless I read for like an hour in bed with the lights off.

October 10th can't come soon enough. Any case suggestions?

Bboy AJ

With every Kindle iteration, you could always imagine the obvious improvements to be made. However, it seems like this model is near perfect. Do you guys think that's true?

I mean, more battery, lighter, etc., can always be done. But practically speaking, we're good, right? I won't miss the keyboard or audio support on my Kindle Keyboard since I never used them.

Ledsen

With every Kindle iteration, you could always imagine the obvious improvements to be made. However, it seems like this model is near perfect. Do you guys think that's true?

I mean, more battery, lighter, etc., can always be done. But practically speaking, we're good, right? I won't miss the keyboard or audio support on my Kindle Keyboard since I never used them.

The first pw was already basically perfect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've got an older ad sponsored Kindle

...But does anyone seriously go, 'you know, my kindle needs more battery life?' because mine lasts foreveeeeer.

Bboy AJ

The first pw was already basically perfect.
No it wasn't. The lighting was done noticeably poorly and with easy room for improvement. That was an obvious foreseeable improvement.

Aaron

Not just reading outdoors. Tablet weighs far too much to comfortably hold while laying in bed to read. Also I get eye fatigue from the bright screen shining at me while I read on a tablet.
Reading is much easier on the 7 inch tablets. They weigh about as much and brightness can be turned way, way down, but reading in any kind of sunlight kindle is still best.

Ledsen

No it wasn't. The lighting was done noticeably poorly and with easy room for improvement. That was an obvious foreseeable improvement.

Well sure but it didn't impact the reading experience, and was a lot more even than reading a normal book under a light.

Top Bottom