• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

There's speculation that these are just leftover models from Japan (which apparently always had 4GB for whatever reason) and we'll still get a PW3 later this year. Who knows though...

moojito

I recently got a paperwhite. It's quite nice, but I wish there was an option to have a slightly more beige tone rather than the white for night time reading, like the kindle phone app does.

Well the regular Kindle with no special offers is no longer being sold by Amazon. The one with SO is expected to ship in 1-2 weeks. Usually when that happens a new product replaces it. So maybe hold out a few more weeks?

Ecto311

Yeah I am happy with my paperwhite and the kindle case for it - was worried something badass was coming like color. I don't get the greatness of a DPI upgrade though. The paperwhite I have (current gen) looks fine. Most actual books look kinda crappy because of the paper and ink used and very similar to the kindle now.

Awesome! Now we know that it is, in fact, coming!

Yeah I am happy with my paperwhite and the kindle case for it - was worried something badass was coming like color. I don't get the greatness of a DPI upgrade though. The paperwhite I have (current gen) looks fine. Most actual books look kinda crappy because of the paper and ink used and very similar to the kindle now.

As someone who has used one of the higher res Kobo readers, I don't think it is a major difference but it is noticeable.

From a current PW to this new one, it won't be a huge upgrade. PW's are probably better than your average mass market paperback. But the bump to 300 DPI, which is greater than the Kobo Aura HD, should be quite noticeable. It should be especially great coming from a Kindle Keyboard or earlier where the DPI is 167. Not to mention it being paired with a Carta screen. The screen should be comparable to the quality of a hardcover.

I don't think I can justify an upgrade from PW1 yet, but doesn't mean I wouldn't get one if I could afford it. The price in US dollars will probably be closer to $139 (with special offers).

Also looks like the base Kindle will become a touch screen device now.

Benedict

I have the basic Kindle (167 ppi) so I'm willing, and eager, to upgrade.
Price might be an issue though...
I live in Sweden so it's probably customs, fees and taxes (25%) added to the price as well.

Maybe there is a good ebay-seller somebody here can recommend when the time comes?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
From a current PW to this new one, it won't be a huge upgrade. PW's are probably better than your average mass market paperback.
I returned the PW I bought because, when I set them side by side, my Kindle 3 looked better, just darker and sharper overall. I don't know if that's because touchscreens and the always-on light make it look more washed out or what, but I really want to see the new ones and if they improved the look.

It seems like the PWs are YMMV. My 1st generation compared to my brothers K3 was an improvement. The text just looked smoother, less jagged, and the contrast was the same between them. The lighting is great on my PW too.

yyzjohn

Banned
That's the whole reason I've stuck with my old low-end Kindle. So glad they're re-adding page turn buttons (of a sort)! I'll be getting this as soon as it's out.

I'm the same as you, I have the Kindle 4 from 2011, I didn't want to lose my page turn buttons. Can't wait to see these new models.

I don't care for a page turn button or a similar part. I don't understand how they are deal breakers for some. The swipe or tap seems like a more natural way to operate a device like this, but there is no real argument against having them other than cost. So I'm glad they are coming back to the device as it gives people more options, which is only a good thing here.

I returned the PW I bought because, when I set them side by side, my Kindle 3 looked better, just darker and sharper overall. I don't know if that's because touchscreens and the always-on light make it look more washed out or what, but I really want to see the new ones and if they improved the look.

When I put my PW2 next to my Kindle 3, it's not even a contest. The Kindle 3 looks awful compared to a Paperwhite.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
When I put my PW2 next to my Kindle 3, it's not even a contest. The Kindle 3 looks awful compared to a Paperwhite.
I might've gotten a bad one...but whenever I see one on display, I check it out and notice the same kind of thing, they just don't have a strong enough contrast for me.

I don't care for a page turn button or a similar part. I don't understand how they are deal breakers for some. The swipe or tap seems like a more natural way to operate a device like this, but there is no real argument against having them other than cost. So I'm glad they are coming back to the device as it gives people more options, which is only a good thing here.

Because I grip my eReader in one hand and I hold it by the bezel. Needing to stretch my thumb to touch the screen or swipe it is uncomfortable compared to a button that is right underneath it where I'm already holding it. It's more comfortable. It's faster. It's not prone to misdetection.

I'm a little worried that there will be issues with these sensors with either accidental presses or not detecting a press, but I'm curious to try it.

Because I grip my eReader in one hand and I hold it by the bezel. Needing to stretch my thumb to touch the screen or swipe it is uncomfortable compared to a button that is right underneath it where I'm already holding it. It's more comfortable. It's faster. It's not prone to misdetection.

I'm a little worried that there will be issues with these sensors with either accidental presses or not detecting a press, but I'm curious to try it.

I know why people like page turn buttons, I just can't relate to this reasoning at all. I also grip it with one hand and hold it by the bezel. I prefer to tap or swipe as it gives more options when gripping the device. If I really feel the need to not move my finger much, I rest it on the edge of the bezel and rock it onto the screen. Feels remarkably like pressing a button.

vazel

Banned
I would have preferred actual buttons for the page turns but at least it has haptic feedback which I'm guessing is sort of like a really soft Wiimote rumble.

Edit: I'm still not going to buy it though. I'm very happy with my Paperwhite.

From reading the features sheets of both devices, I'm still glad I bought my Paperwhite 2 back in June.

The only real improvement in my eyes is the lighter weight of the new devices and the higher-res screen of the Voyage (which I barely noticed on the PW2).

If anything happens to my PW2 though, that basic Kindle looks surprisingly appealing. Basically the Paperwhite without a light - which I'd miss, but could live without if I needed a replacement quickly.

I love how Amazon just throws features at your face whenever they launch new products though. Family Sharing sounds great! And everybody's using the Paperwhite OS it seems, so I'll still get the new features. Sweet.

EDIT: On the new basic Kindle page:

Coming soon—With About the Book, see information about the as you start to read,

Ooops.

O.DOGG

So they discontinue the old K5 with page turn buttons and give us a new one with touch screen and still non-lit display. Way to miss the point.

Yeah, I'm sort of torn on this new Voyage. Instead of adding buttons they give us a touch-sensitive bezel and a haptic response? Come on! And at that price... I probably will get one as soon as I find someone who can bring me one from the US but I'm not 100% sold on it.

Nymerio

Too expensive for me. The new features do not justify that price hike. I guess you'd also have to buy another cover, so that makes it even more expensive.

DagsJT

Yep, I skipped the second Paperwhite and hoped to pick up the new model but not paying £169 for one. If it was £120 then maybe but that's just too much.

Benedict

Any third party covers available yet?
Any ebay-sellers?

Edit: Seems like amazon.com won't ship Kindle Voyage to countries outside US yet...

The Voyage price is ridiculous. I wish Amazon had bundled a free year of Kindle Unlimited with it (like they do for Prime with the Fire Phone). That would have been a brilliant move. But I guess they really want to sell books and/or subscriptions.

$63 trade for paperwhite. still too high after for the 3G voyage. but lets be honest. first run batch will have fault. so i'll wait but keeping the thing preordered. watch i forgot (delivery is october something)

I'd might save my money for the new Nexus tablet instead...
Tablets and e-readers serve vastly different purposes. I would never want to read seriously on a tablet - e-ink is far superior for that task - but if you're looking for an all-in-one, a tablet is obviously the way to go.

Top Bottom