• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Ecto311

New hardware device to be revelaed by Amazon on June 18th.
Could it be a new Kindle, or some sort of 3D-tablet? They are swaying a lot, looking at different angles...

The reflection in this womans glasses looks like a kindle screen...

I was going to get a case for my kindle till I heard that new things were being released. I would hate to spend the $40 for a case if they are putting out a new kindle that I would sell mine for. I kinda hope its just a phone but a paperwhite with buttons would be great too.

Ecto311

So with this thing coming up is there any possibility of a new kindle or just a phone/tablet thing? I have seen some info on a glass or higher dpi kindle paperwhite but very little about this thing happening on the 18th.

yyzjohn

Banned
So with this thing coming up is there any possibility of a new kindle or just a phone/tablet thing? I have seen some info on a glass or higher dpi kindle paperwhite but very little about this thing happening on the 18th.

I hope so. I give 0 shits about an Amazon phone but a new eink Kindle? Yes please. Want to upgrade my Kindle 4

O.DOGG

I hope so. I give 0 shits about an Amazon phone but a new eink Kindle? Yes please. Want to upgrade my Kindle 4

I'm in the same position. I've been holding off on upgrading for quite a while, and the rumors about the next Kindle sound like it's finally time to do it. I hope they announce it soon.

Zero. They want all of the focus to be on their new phone thing. With The nexus program coming to an end, i am actually interested to see what kind of low cost android phone Amazon can create.

Ecto311

Zero. They want all of the focus to be on their new phone thing. With The nexus program coming to an end, i am actually interested to see what kind of low cost android phone Amazon can create.

I was thinking the same thing but its hard to have an event for one device from a company like amazon. They make the fire, paperwhite, standard kindle, and now a phone or similar device.

I was thinking the same thing but its hard to have an event for one device from a company like amazon. They make the fire, paperwhite, standard kindle, and now a phone or similar device.

They just held one for the fire tv. No way they bury a new e ink reader by unveiling it at the same time as a phone.

vazel

Banned
So for the past several weeks I kept track of how long my Paperwhite's battery lasted with wifi enabled and disabled, just to see wether leaving wifi enabled was worth it. With wifi enabled I got 15 hours battery life, with wifi disabled I got 24 hours. That's a difference of 9 hours which is about six more days reading time for me. Not worth it leaving wifi enabled.

I knew disabling wifi was going to give me more battery life but I didn't know it was going to be this drastic a difference. Makes me wonder why Amazon doesn't have an easy wifi enable/disable button in the main menu.

Makes me wonder why Amazon doesn't have an easy wifi enable/disable button in the main menu.
They used to on older Kindle models. It ended up being patched out of those models and it hasn't been on any of the newer models. Makes me wonder why they're trying to discourage turning wi-fi off.

Le-mo

Gaf, I'm planning to buy the Kindle Fire HDX for my dad but I need to know if it's possible to connect it to a t.v. via a MHL adapter. I know the Fire HD has a micro-hdmi output but I prefer the HDX since it has a higher resolution. I'll be force to go with the latter otherwise.

Gaf, I'm planning to buy the Kindle Fire HDX for my dad but I need to know if it's possible to connect it to a t.v. via a MHL adapter. I know the Fire HD has a micro-hdmi output but I prefer the HDX since it has a higher resolution. I'll be force to go with the latter otherwise.

no, you'd need a Miracast adapter or device that supports Miracast to connect to TV with the HDX

Tom_Cody

Does anyone have experience with Whispersync?

I am reading The Stand currently and, due to the length, I want to experiment with switching back and forth between the audio and text.

I have actually gone through books like this before (switching between audio and text) but I've always just had to sync-up both ends manually.

Here's my specific question: Will I be able to use this feature on separate devices or does it have to be the same device? I want to be able to read on my Paper White and listen on my iPhone. Will it sync globally automatically or does this only work when reading and listening on the same device (like a Kindle Fire for example)?

I'm also just interested to hear how this has worked out for people in general.

Yes, the whole point of Whispersync is that it all happens within the cloud.

I have never tried Whispersync for Voice, but I have never had any trouble with other Whispersync features. My bookmarks, notes, highlights, and current page all sync of the cloud. If you have a problem, do a manual sync.

Tom_Cody

Yes, the whole point of Whispersync is that it all happens within the cloud.

I have never tried Whispersync for Voice, but I have never had any trouble with other Whispersync features. My bookmarks, notes, highlights, and current page all sync of the cloud. If you have a problem, do a manual sync.
Cool, thanks.

I actually just tried this with Moby Dick (it's a free ebook, and to get the narration was $.99). Worked exactly as I expected. But I imagine there will be quirks. It will start the audio with the first word on the page, so that could be weird if you stop in the middle of a page.

Fusebox

Banned
Has anyone else been going nuts with the Kindle daily deals lately? Seems like every day recently there's at least 1 book that interests me which I always end up buying coz it's so cheap.

Have you noticed that the two big deals in the last couple of weeks have been previously offered deals from the last few years?

The only books that have interested me I've already bought at that price two years ago.

Fusebox

Banned
Have you noticed that the two big deals in the last couple of weeks have been previously offered deals from the last few years?

The only books that have interested me I've already bought at that price two years ago.

Nah I haven't had my Kindle for that long, but I did notice the Golem & The Djinn was the daily deal last week and I'm sure I bought the Goldem & The Djinn on daily deal about 6 months ago.

icespide

Banned
I thought that's when they release the new models, not when they announce them.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the new Kindles as well. There should've been news by now.

last 2 paperwhite models were announced in september, and then released in october

Just got a new Paperwhite yesterday, and it's our first Kindle, and it's amazing. Is there a better cover for it than the official leather one from Amazon, or is it best to stick with that one?

n64coder

^^^ personally, I don't bother with a cover. Less bulk.

Anyone has experience with Kindle versions of magazines? Any recommendations? I like reading New Yorker and have read the Rolling Stone & Esquire in the past. From various GAF posts, I think Atlantic & Vanity Fair might also be good reading. So what I'm looking for is good intellectual reading, more non-fiction than fiction.

The challenge I have with the New Yorker is that I get behind quickly. I did get a 2 month trial subscription for $5 to see how the digital access is. It's great if you're using an iPad or a computer but not a Paperwhite which is my preferred device for lengthy reading.

Frostburn

Just got a new Paperwhite yesterday, and it's our first Kindle, and it's amazing. Is there a better cover for it than the official leather one from Amazon, or is it best to stick with that one?

I've got the official cover for my Kindle Paperwhite as well as my wife's. They hold up extremely well (Mine still looks brand new and I pre-ordered it along with the 1st gen Paperwhite) and my wife's does too (She got her's this Christmas alongside a 2nd gen Paperwhite. The quality is excellent and its nice not having to press a button to wake up the kindle each time I want to read, there are certainly cheaper options out there but I can't speak to their quality.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Original cover is fantastic. It does add a bit of bulk but it's still worth it - plus I bring my Kindle everywhere so it's nice to have it well protected. As Frostburn mentioned they're also very durable, mine still looks like new as well.

Worth the money IMHO! I expect I'll go for the Amazon cover again next time a new Kindle model comes out.

Amazon has been very consistent with there Kindle releases. Expect a new Paperwhite this fall. Things should begin to leak at the end of August.

I wouldn't expect physical buttons to come back, but they might bump the specs of the cheap Kindle which I expect to have buttons.

I really don't know what to expect from a new PW. Certainly no color E Ink yet. Maybe a resolution bump, but I'm not sure where they are at with screen size on 300 DPI+ screens. We could see a new DX if they feel they need to compete with the Kobo Aura HD. Maybe they will put speakers in. Expanded storage and faster processor seem like no brainers. Refine the light even further?

ngower

Kindle Paperwhite is $100 today only. With some rewards points I could get one for $65. Is it worth it? Seems like an upgrade is inevitable with all these deals Amazon have been offering lately.

Kindle Paperwhite is $100 today only. With some rewards points I could get one for $65. Is it worth it? Seems like an upgrade is inevitable with all these deals Amazon have been offering lately.
Upgrade is likely in the fall, but $65 is an amazing price for a great e-reader.

Benedict

I seem to have lost my wifi-connection on Kindle.
It says there are 12 networks available but when I try to enter wifi-settings in settings nothing happens.
Is this a common problem? any fix?

edit: fix is: Have you tried turning it off and on again...

Volotaire

Amazon have updated the Kindle with double the storage this year to 4GB, but they're not calling it a full update (this is the only change).

According to Amazon, “This is not a new product – we’ve added more on-device storage to the existing Kindle Paperwhite.“

Ocho

I seem to have lost my wifi-connection on Kindle.
It says there are 12 networks available but when I try to enter wifi-settings in settings nothing happens.
Is this a common problem? any fix?

edit: fix is: Have you tried turning it off and on again...

I've always had this issue in my home network since day 1. I need to restart my router and it'll work for a couple of hours then nothing.

Top Bottom