• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Is there a way to transfer my library and folders from one paperwhite to another? Creating folders and getting things right was a HUGE pain in the ass, and I don't want to have to do it again because my current paperwhite died and a replacement is on the way.

Couldn't you just plug both in via USB, then cut and paste the library and everything from one to the other?

vazel

Banned
Both Paperwhite generations have collection syncing(1st-gen Paperwhite had a firmware update to support this last month). Your collections will show up in the new Paperwhite with your books greyed out in them, then click on the greyed out book you want to read and it will download.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So exactly how cheap to ebooks get? I'm looking at some atm and according to ereaderiq they're at the cheapest price yet. Do some books really not bomb in price? Like looking at Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and apparently $10.74 is the cheapest it's been. And looked at Hyperion and $4.59 is apparently the cheapest it's been.

vazel

Banned
So exactly how cheap to ebooks get? I'm looking at some atm and according to ereaderiq they're at the cheapest price yet. Do some books really not bomb in price? Like looking at Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and apparently $10.74 is the cheapest it's been. And looked at Hyperion and $4.59 is apparently the cheapest it's been.
From my experience old popular books rarely drop to rock bottom prices. But fantasy book series that are still in-progress such as The Stormlight Archive, Demon Cycle, and The Gentleman Bastard Sequence have sales down to $1-4 in order to attract new readers to their respective series.

Depends on the publisher. I got Stephen King's Doctor Sleep last December for $2.13 (that includes tax), and it was only out a few months. It's now 7.99.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like I might as well get certain books since they won't hit that magic price floor.
i got this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU65UPG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

its pretty much a bootleg of the amazon one but with a strap to easier hold, and the material is a bit cheap.

Still, it has magnetic strap and is lightweight and thin. well worth $10

Ended up getting the Omoton case that another gaffer reccomended in the sale thread. Looked it up and it was considered the best of the cheaper cases compared to the ones I've seen.

Both Paperwhite generations have collection syncing(1st-gen Paperwhite had a firmware update to support this last month). Your collections will show up in the new Paperwhite with your books greyed out in them, then click on the greyed out book you want to read and it will download.

I dont think it works that way for books loaded via calibre.

kehs

Banned
So I can't get this kindle to check out another book through prime.

I already returned the one I initially checked out through the website ( wtf amazon, you can't return books through the device itself? GTFOH)

The device still shows all books as "You've exceeded your limit for the month".

What gives?

kehs

Banned
What? I thought it was one book out at a time.

Guess I misread that, that's ridiculous.

I'm such a twat, while trying to figure it out, I removed the book from the kindle and now I can't get it back on.
KuGsj.gif

If I turn off my screen for my Kindle Paperwhite, will it save more battery than leaving the screensaver on?

I usually have the lowest brightness settings on.

icespide

Banned
If I turn off my screen for my Kindle Paperwhite, will it save more battery than leaving the screensaver on?

I usually have the lowest brightness settings on.

you'll get the same battery life with the screensaver on as with the screen turned off. that's the nature of e-ink, it only uses battery life when the image changes

Cfh123

Thought I'd share this happy story.

I thought I'd left my Kindle paperwhite at work. I had thought of driving all the way back tomorrow morning to get it, as I'd like to read it this weekend. That would be a 1.5 hour round trip.

When I got home, I read an email from my rental manager that someone had found my kindle in the parking lot and turned it in, and I can pick it up tomorrow.

I think I'll ask the rental manager to pass along $20 to the finder, or if the finder does not want it, give the money to a charity. One good turn deserves another.

The kindle and its case set me back at least $150.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
organisation with several books loaded is a real pain. I downloaded a bunch of games related books recently from the humble bundle and they basically dominated the first few pages of my kindle paperwhite. I tried putting them in a 'games' collection, hoping they'd disappear from the books list, but they don't.

I wish amazon let you organise things better. Either let me sort by collection, so I can have a 'currently reading' collection that'll stay at the front, or some other way of selectively hiding/arranging titles.

vazel

Banned
organisation with several books loaded is a real pain. I downloaded a bunch of games related books recently from the humble bundle and they basically dominated the first few pages of my kindle paperwhite. I tried putting them in a 'games' collection, hoping they'd disappear from the books list, but they don't.

I wish amazon let you organise things better. Either let me sort by collection, so I can have a 'currently reading' collection that'll stay at the front, or some other way of selectively hiding/arranging titles.
But you can sort by collection... There's also an option to have recently read books be on the front.

So today's Kindle Daily Deal looks like it's two Kurt Vonnegut books but it's actually just one. Jailbird and they also have listed a fan fiction based in the world of Cat's Cradle.

I know Amazon wants to push their Kindle Worlds but I'm not comfortable with putting Vonnegut's name on the cover and misleading people into thinking this come from KV.

Necrovex

So today's Kindle Daily Deal looks like it's two Kurt Vonnegut books but it's actually just one. Jailbird and they also have listed a fan fiction based in the world of Cat's Cradle.

I know Amazon wants to push their Kindle Worlds but I'm not comfortable with putting Vonnegut's name on the cover and misleading people into thinking this come from KV.

That's pretty messed up, plus that's KV's worst book!

kottila

Not sure how you could mistake that other book for being a KV-book. It's stated on the front page and on the deals page that it is by a different author and it has the authors name printed in big letters on the cover. Just because it mentions vonneguts name in the title dosen't imply that he's the author

The Vonnegut books are frequently on sale. Sirens of Titan was last week.

If you'll notice there are 2 Kindle version of his books. The RosettaBooks are the ones usually, if not always, on sale. I've purchased a few of them, and they tend to have some big typos here and there. It's a little annoying. I'm guessing they are OCR books with little effort put into cleaning them up. Just a heads up for those purchasing. I have no idea if the other publisher produces better books.

GRW810

Which font do each of you use on your Kindle? At first I tended to change font for each book depending on the layout, genre and writing style. Futura for dynamic thrillers, baskerville for classics, etc. But I'm finding myself sticking with caecilia more and more. It's my general use choice and I like how rounded and gentle the letters look on the page.

I never use caecilia condensed or helvetica, too ugly. Palatino is quite a nice font.

Also, what is the best way to keep track of price reductions? I've got a bunch of books on my wishlist and I check the deal of the day every morning but I'd still so easy to miss an awesome deal. Sometimes I've stumbled across books that have been dropped to 99p with no promotion, and I kick myself at the thought of missing a bargain.

Acidote

Which font do each of you use on your Kindle? At first I tended to change font for each book depending on the layout, genre and writing style. Futura for dynamic thrillers, baskerville for classics, etc. But I'm finding myself sticking with caecilia more and more. It's my general use choice and I like how rounded and gentle the letters look on the page.

I never use caecilia condensed or helvetica, too ugly. Palatino is quite a nice font.

Hacked in Calibri most of the time, but almost any sans-serif font is fine.

Also, what is the best way to keep track of price reductions? I've got a bunch of books on my wishlist and I check the deal of the day every morning but I'd still so easy to miss an awesome deal. Sometimes I've stumbled across books that have been dropped to 99p with no promotion, and I kick myself at the thought of missing a bargain.

EreaderIQ. Import your Amazon wishlist and it will send you emails when books drop in price. You can even set the threshold.

I just got my kindle paper white today (YAY!). I'm using "Publisher's font" right now which looks to be very close to Palatino. Yeah, I would never use helvetica for a book, that just feels a bit weird. I will definitely add fonts later though.

EDIT: Do you guys use a protective case, and which ones?

Fusebox

Banned
I just got Amazon Prime and it said I can loan out one book from my library to anyone else for 14 days so yay for you guys, I'm gonna try and keep a book out on loan in regular rotation.

The first book I'm offering is All You Need Is Kill:

This is a cracking futuristic action book, chosen for its relatively short length and the fact that Tom Cruise will soon be starring in the movie. Also just look at that sweet cover-art. The first person to reply and say they want it will get it, the winner just needs to PM me their email address.

Ecto311

Damn Kindle won't connect to my wifi !
Paperwhite model. Tried everything I could think of ...any tips ?

Manually update the software? My wifes kindle paperwhite would not connect to anything and we moved it to the new software just by downloading and sticking it on the unit and now it works fine.

wilflare

been using the Kindle Keyboard
bought the Paperwhite (a few times) and sold it off before I could open it.

I finished some books on my Kindle Keyboard (and enjoyed it)
but there's just something missing from the Kindle experience...

are eBooks just not meant for me?

kottila

Maybe you should try the next paperwhite you buy?

Ecto311

Do you like reading in general? I was not a big reader but got a boner for this new piece of tech so I got a kindle a long time ago. I read perdido station on it by recommendation by a gaffer in the "what you reading" thread and was blown away. I never read a book that was that kind of story or knew anything about "new weird" at the time. I am not a huge reader but when a book gets me I use the device all the time. Most of the time though it just sits there or my wife uses it.

Herr K

Banned
I had the Wi-Fi on my Paperwhite 1st Gen turned out for a long time. Yesterday night I turned out on to download a book and now that I unlock the Kindle, I discover this great update. I'm loving it, no reason to get a 2nd Gen now.

wilflare

Who does this? And why?

But seriously, the Kindle Keyboard that you have is a pretty solid machine. It would help if you could tell us why you don't like it.

I think the only time I could get into reading a book on my Kindle Keyboard is while I'm commuting to campus etc.

When I'm at home, I just can't get myself to reading on a Kindle. if anything, paper would be better for me. not sure if I'm just weird or what.

the screen is good on the eyes. that's for sure. but there's something bout the font and the whole layout that's pushing me away.

Necrovex

I think the only time I could get into reading a book on my Kindle Keyboard is while I'm commuting to campus etc.

When I'm at home, I just can't get myself to reading on a Kindle. if anything, paper would be better for me. not sure if I'm just weird or what.

the screen is good on the eyes. that's for sure. but there's something bout the font and the whole layout that's pushing me away.

Depends on the book. I usually like reding stuff on paper but books like The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a true blessing on Paperwhite due to the small ass font on the paper version.

LProtag

Welp, I went ahead and did it.

Though, there's a streak of light in the corner it seems, or some sort of weird white line. Is this normal?

If anyone has an interest in Russian Literature, The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky (as translated into English by Pevear and Volokhonsky) is $0.99.

Ecto311

Anyone jailbreak their kindle paperwhite 1/2 and how is it? Been reading about it and thought about doing it to my wifes paperwhite but not sure if its a clusterfuck like jailbreaking other devices or if it adds to the device more than just custom screen saver images.

My Kindle Keyboard got dropped a few too many times and now the back part of the case doesn't clip closed. I'm worried the important ports on the bottom might stop working.

If it dies, it should die when Amazon announces a fancy new Kindle.

Karamazov just went back up. It was on discount at the time of my post. I actually purchased it late Monday, but forgot to inform GAF until this morning. I'm so sorry everyone. It's still a great book at a good price.

By the way, I found out that price thanks to a eReaderIQ alert sent to my email. Just a reminder to use them to get all the best deals.

Necrovex

Karamazov just went back up. It was on discount at the time of my post. I actually purchased it late Monday, but forgot to inform GAF until this morning. I'm so sorry everyone. It's still a great book at a good price.

By the way, I found out that price thanks to a eReaderIQ alert sent to my email. Just a reminder to use them to get all the best deals.

I needed another long-ass book for my time in Peace Corps next year. I missed a great deal. The regret is too deep.

Are any of these books worth it?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

(Some are graphic novels, but I believe most/all come with Kindle compatible files.)

Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker
Ed Piskor

March: Book One
Congressman John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell

The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
Various, George R. R. Martin

Jam
Yahtzee Croshaw

Lovecraft's Monsters: Anthology
Various, Neil Gaiman. Ellen Datlow, Editor

Lawful Interception (Audiobook Novella)
Cory Doctorow

Wizard's First Rule
Terry Goodkind

The Alchemist
Paolo Bacigalupi

The Executioness
Tobias S. Buckell

Benedict

Join Amazon's founder Jeff Bezos for our launch event

New hardware device to be revelaed by Amazon on June 18th.
Could it be a new Kindle, or some sort of 3D-tablet? They are swaying a lot, looking at different angles...

The reflection in this womans glasses looks like a kindle screen...

New hardware device to be revelaed by Amazon on June 18th.
Could it be a new Kindle, or some sort of 3D-tablet? They are swaying a lot, looking at different angles...

The reflection in this womans glasses looks like a kindle screen...

its a phone. You can even see it in the video...

New-Amazon-phone.jpg

9128-590-bgr-amazon-smartphone-kindle-fire-phone-l.png

Top Bottom