• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah, just put the serial number of your kindle in and it works just fine. I used it on some books I bought so I could put the metadata on it in my library because the books from amazon had no metadata or covers and had awful naming schemes, I hated it.

Gvaz said:
awful naming schemes, I hated it.
Man, inconsistent naming schemes is one of my Kindle store peeves. Here are the Kindle titles of some Stargate books, for instance, none of which use quite the same format.

Stargate SG-1: Trial by Fire: SG1-1
Stargate SG-1: Sacrifice Moon
Roswell (Stargate SG-1, No. 9)
Stargate SG-1: Relativity: SG1--10 (Stargate Sg-1)
Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven: SG-11
SG1-15 - The Power Behind the Throne (Stargate SG1)
SG1-17 Sunrise (Stargate SG1)

Dany

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Did you sign up for the full year at once? It's like one payment for $149. You can't do the month by month thing since it's easily exploited.

I'm already locked in for twelve months, which I'm ok with. I went through their process and its a monthly plan that they offer along with the promo code

EDIT: After an entire day of not getting the email, it finally arrived, you know in the day where emails are sent instantly upon order completion, waiting 9 hours is kinda excruciating.

Dany M said:
I'm already locked in for twelve months, which I'm ok with. I went through their process and its a monthly plan that they offer along with the promo code

EDIT: After an entire day of not getting the email, it finally arrived, you know in the day where emails are sent instantly upon order completion, waiting 9 hours is kinda excruciating.

Oh right on. Actually not a bad deal if you enjoy audio books.

Manics

Banned
salva said:
Is there any reason why the kindle can't search by page and not location?
It can search by page. If the book you're reading has page number information when you press Go To it says "Enter page (1-xxxx) or Location (1-xxxxxx)"

Just two random questions (nothing about them in the OP but I'm sure they have been answered somewhere before):

- Is it a pain to have multiple kindles on the same account? If my wife and I each have a kindle but use the same amazon account will we have to deal with eachothers books cluttering up our kindles?

- Also can you organize books on a kindle? From playing with it in the store the books just list straight down. Can I folder them, for example the home screen has "Dad's Books" and "Daughter's Books"

HamPster PamPster said:
Just two random questions (nothing about them in the OP but I'm sure they have been answered somewhere before):

- Is it a pain to have multiple kindles on the same account? If my wife and I each have a kindle but use the same amazon account will we have to deal with eachothers books cluttering up our kindles?

- Also can you organize books on a kindle? From playing with it in the store the books just list straight down. Can I folder them, for example the home screen has "Dad's Books" and "Daughter's Books"

Yes, you can create categories and I don't think it should be a problem to have multiple kindles on the same account. I have 1 Kindle, 1 iPad and 1 iPhone all using the same Kindle account.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
salva said:
Is there any reason why the kindle can't search by page and not location?
something due to different sizes of ebooks? It would essentially have to repaginate everything I guess, so it's easier to do location, maybe they have jack all processing power?

no, it's fine. you can also delete them and they go to árchived items. But when you do the '1click buy' it gives you the option to deliver it to a certain kindle. It will go in the archived items of the other one (I think)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not sure how good this is, but since it's relevant to GAF:

Well Played 1.0 is free, along with some others here, if you guys are looking for free Kindle offers or eBooks in general.

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol Fucking publisher just raised the price of the Dune books to $7.99 from $6.99 in the US shop. So aggravating.

What a shitty thing to do...now they are the same price as the paperbacks. It boggles the fucking mind. Publishers must really hate the ebook model, or they realize that they can bleed money from their customers with a dirt-cheap eproduct.

Most of you have probably already seen this, it's from June 13th, but the video shows off the Kobo Touch's features. It looks pretty good, I think.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/06/13/review-kobo-ereader-touch-edition/

Hanzou

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol Fucking publisher just raised the price of the Dune books to $7.99 from $6.99 in the US shop. So aggravating.

Hell, the original is no longer on the Canadian store any more.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have, what may be a dumb question: I went to the beach today to do my daily swim. Today, I was gone for two hours instead of one. When I came back to my stuff, the water had risen and all my stuff was wet. I had taken a paperback of Game of Thrones with me that I just purchased Saturday. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about (it's not too fantasy-ish so far, which is good) and had gotten 3 chapters in.

The book is now ruined for the most part. Is there any way that I can get the eBook if I bought the paperback? Maybe with my receipt? I really hope you can, I know some publishers have similar programs (I've bought some books that offer both). There is no lending program from the publisher for Game of Thrones either! :(

Help Me! said:
Most of you have probably already seen this, it's from June 13th, but the video shows off the Kobo Touch's features. It looks pretty good, I think.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/06/13/review-kobo-ereader-touch-edition/

I really good eReader. I still like the Kindle better, and I'm not sold on the touchscreen, but I still like the Kobo better than the Nook. I really wish the Kindle 3 had a microSD slot though!

i have access to my UNI's e-library which has many e-books uploaded, is there a way to get these on a kindle? i really want to be able to read the poision king without buying it, i already paid for the service and its available on my laptop so...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Alpha-Bromega said:
i have access to my UNI's e-library which has many e-books uploaded, is there a way to get these on a kindle? i really want to be able to read the poision king without buying it, i already paid for the service and its available on my laptop so...

I'm not sure since those books tend to be locked and require Adobe. I'm guessing you're likely going to have to wait until the end of the year when Amazon opens the Kindle to library lending programs.

Go check on booklending.com and see if you can get it there.

Esiquio

Just wanted to post saying how much I love my Kindle. I put a ton of PDF's and .docx on it to help me study for a big test tomorrow. It's amazing.

Alpha-Bromega said:

Unfortunately for stuff like that, a Nook is a better choice for an e-reader.

Angst

Alpha-Bromega said:
You should be able to convert them using Calibre. If in doubt, try Calibre :)

You should be aware that if you do that you will most likely be violating your library's ToS

Dany

Banned
Gvaz said:
Yeah, just put the serial number of your kindle in and it works just fine. I used it on some books I bought so I could put the metadata on it in my library because the books from amazon had no metadata or covers and had awful naming schemes, I hated it.

How do I use that in calibre? or is their another app for me to use?

Gvaz

Banned
Dany M said:
How do I use that in calibre? or is their another app for me to use?

HiroProtagonist said:
So it does (I didn't follow your link). You could always use Calibre with the Calibre Plugins: K4MobiDeDRM_v03.1 to remove the DRM from the .prc file.

get this plugin and add it.

It shows up in Plugins under Preferences.

In the File type section it's seen here:

1amsj3i7b.png

Enter in your data here:
2gmxd.png

when you configure the plugin. If you did it properly, it will do it automatically when you move the file off your kindle into your calibre library, or when adding it to your library (say from downloading it to your kindle4pc program or whatever.

Gvaz

Banned
If you didn't purchase the book, you wouldn't be using this plugin soooo

also a mod okayed talking about it on neogaf for the same exact reasons.

The only people removing the drm are those who like me either want all their files named properly and with proper metadata, or want their books on another device without having to rebuy it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Gvaz said:
If you didn't purchase the book, you wouldn't be using this plugin soooo

also a mod okayed talking about it on neogaf for the same exact reasons.

The only people removing the drm are those who like me either want all their files named properly and with proper metadata, or want their books on another device without having to rebuy it.

Fuck DRM. I bought a book on iTunes that I couldn't transfer to my Kindle until someone helped me remove that crap.

Esiquio

UltimaKilo said:
Fuck DRM. I bought a book on iTunes that I couldn't transfer to my Kindle until someone helped me remove that crap.

Does it work with magazines? Because I have several back issues that I can not longer use because I had a new Kindle sent to me (old one got jacked up).

brentech

Eh, fuck waiting. Just bought the special offers Kindle. =D

I'm about 100 pages from finishing A Storm of Swords, and think I'll read A Feast for Crows on the Kindle. I had bought that 4 book paperback set, but I guess I can just buy the single book for kindle. Dunno. Might be nice to have all 4 plus ADWD on Kindle though....medium changes are always a bitch.

brentech said:
Eh, fuck waiting. Just bought the special offers Kindle. =D

I'm about 100 pages from finishing A Storm of Swords, and think I'll read A Feast for Crows on the Kindle. I had bought that 4 book paperback set, but I guess I can just buy the single book for kindle. Dunno. Might be nice to have all 4 plus ADWD on Kindle though....medium changes are always a bitch.

Especially when the previous medium has been around for hundreds of years. LOL

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Esiquio said:
Does it work with magazines? Because I have several back issues that I can not longer use because I had a new Kindle sent to me (old one got jacked up).

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same process. I think the process is different depending on format. I'm not 100% certain though.

Schlep

New Offers

• Save $10 on video games at Amazon (Expires 7/3)
  • Use your Visa to buy select Kindle books & get a $10 Amazon GC (Expires 7/21)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just saw this story on CNN. I'll post the video below.

Clearwater High School in Clearwater, Florida is the first school in the US to replace its textbooks with e-readers. The students love the Kindles, which may actually end up saving the school district money in the long run. Florida's legislature has taken notice of the potential cost savings and introduced a bill that would have all Florida schools go digital with e-readers by 2015.

Video report

Florida. We are awesome. "The Kindle State"

EDIT: In the video, please note the student who thinks a Kindle is something out of Star Trek: "it automatically beams to your thing."

Question about the special offers kindle:
Is it possible to set it to not display the promotional screensavers? I don't understand what purpose a screensaver serves on an e-ink device-it seems like it would only waste energy given that the device could simply keep the current page on screen without using any.

Gvaz

Banned
It doesn't waste much of anything actually.

E-ink is not like LCD in that it constantly refreshes. It displays once, and retains the information until you switch the page or whatever. It's perfectly fine.

And you can't have it not display the ads iirc

Jintor

UltimaKilo said:
I just saw this story on CNN. I'll post the video below.

Video report

Florida. We are awesome. "The Kindle State"

EDIT: In the video, please note the student who thinks a Kindle is something out of Star Trek: "it automatically beams to your thing."

If Uni textbooks became available as ebooks and didn't fucking cost $70 a pop I would be all over that

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Jintor said:
If Uni textbooks became available as ebooks and didn't fucking cost $70 a pop I would be all over that

If textbooks were only $70, I would have saved a lot of money on college where I regularly paid $100-200 for a textbook. :(

bengraven

My Kindle keeps shutting down and then gets a loading screen, then it kicks me back to my home page. I go back to my book (after waiting for all my books to reappear) and my book is stuck on the same page that I started reading when I woke up this morning.

It's done that three times.

Jintor said:

Don't fucking remind me. I remember how horribly expensive they were when I was in community college waaaaay back in the day. Now I'm returning to school and the prices at my university are ridiculous.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
is there any way to make the Kindle screensaver just use the cover for the book you were currently reading? I think that'd be awesome.

kaizoku said:
is there any way to make the Kindle screensaver just use the cover for the book you were currently reading? I think that'd be awesome.
While this would be cool in theory (and no, I don't know of a way), more than anything it would probably make you notice how many books just use some generic cover template rather than the image actually used for the print version.

leroy hacker said:
Question about the special offers kindle:
Is it possible to set it to not display the promotional screensavers? I don't understand what purpose a screensaver serves on an e-ink device-it seems like it would only waste energy given that the device could simply keep the current page on screen without using any.
I've been wondering this well, what's the point of the Kindle's screensaver? I assume that having the screensaver doesnt use any less power than displaying the page of a book. It's not a huge deal, but often I'll set my kindle down to do something and it'll be on the screensaver when I get back so I have to wake it up. If there's no reason for the screensaver I'd like it to just display the page I'm on until I turn it off, and it's weird Amazon would make such a superfluous design choice.

But maybe there is a reason? Maybe the version with ads was planned all along and that's it?

Hanzou

dr3upmushroom said:
I've been wondering this well, what's the point of the Kindle's screensaver? I assume that having the screensaver doesnt use any less power than displaying the page of a book. It's not a huge deal, but often I'll set my kindle down to do something and it'll be on the screensaver when I get back so I have to wake it up. If there's no reason for the screensaver I'd like it to just display the page I'm on until I turn it off, and it's weird Amazon would make such a superfluous design choice.

But maybe there is a reason? Maybe the version with ads was planned all along and that's it?

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128704 There is a link on that page describing how to change the length of time before the screensaver comes on. So you could set it to 1,000,000 hours so that it never really comes on. The screensaver is just there for esthetics.

dr3upmushroom said:

The program on the kindle that displays books has to be running (it's not just displaying a single image like the screensaver, but it has the whole thing loaded - searchable, capable of highlights, notes, and bookmarks). I'm also guessing that it is constantly writing the furthest page read to the memory. I have no real clue, but I have a feeling that a lot of background shit is happening when you have a book open, and it shuts all of that off when you put it to sleep.

Top Bottom