• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Macca

npm0925 said:
How is the Kindle web browser for GAF? Painful to use or decent?
If you use the mobile site and turn the images off it's definitely usable. The page turning buttons work well as page up/down.

npm0925 said:
How is the Kindle web browser for GAF? Painful to use or decent?

I did use the GAF mobile site a few times when my wife and I traveled Europe this time last year (we were in Prague on July 4th) and it wasn't so bad. And I have a Kindle 2.

The Kindle was was an important tool for us. The free 3G was great for checking email on the long train rides and our hotels rarely gave us free wifi. So it we could save money and time here and there by just using the Kindle instead of finding a hotspot for the iPad or iPod touch. But anytime we could use the Apple devices we were very grateful.

Pand

VistraNorrez said:
The Kindle was was an important tool for us. The free 3G was great for checking email on the long train rides and our hotels rarely gave us free wifi. So it we could save money and time here and there by just using the Kindle instead of finding a hotspot for the iPad or iPod touch. But anytime we could use the Apple devices we were very grateful.

Wait, you could actually check your email with the Kindle while you were in Europe? I can only visit wikipedia with mine due to crappy geographical restrictions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pand said:
Wait, you could actually check your email with the Kindle while you were in Europe? I can only visit wikipedia with mine due to crappy geographical restrictions.

Probably pushed e-mail via POP to the kindle.com address? Or m.emailwebserviceprovider.com/org/whatever site. Not impossible.

Anyway: Is there any way to strip the DRM out of a Adobe... forgetting the reader file that is a simple .pdf so I can convert it for Kindle/general use? I don't really need a second e-reader application on my PC for an otherwise free ebook from the publisher because they can't provide multiple ebook DRM'ed formats. :/

Calibre throws up a DRM error to not let it convert, and I can't seem to get the plugins I downloaded to work with Python. :/

Neverfade

Maybe you kindle folks can answer me a question: Do Kindle gift cards I can buy at Best Buy act as a general Amazon gift card, allowing me to purchase all sorts of other shit?

TheSeks said:
Probably pushed e-mail via POP to the kindle.com address? Or m.emailwebserviceprovider.com/org/whatever site. Not impossible.
I didn't do anything like that. I used it exactly like I did in The States. I think I might've been there at a time when it wasn't so restricted. I don't remember running into any trouble and I was in England, The Netherlands, Germany, Czech, Austria, and France. Although maybe it had something to do with my address being American?

slade

Gvaz said:
when you configure the plugin. If you did it properly, it will do it automatically when you move the file off your kindle into your calibre library, or when adding it to your library (say from downloading it to your kindle4pc program or whatever.

Doesn't work. Unless you need to type in something other then the kindle serial number to get this rolling. I even tried kindle4pc and still a no go.

Gvaz

Banned
Are you making sure you're adding the right one? It works for me.

I accidentally was adding the number on the bottom right near the version number and not the actual serial number
shepicide.001.gif

brentech

Just received my Kindle-SO today. The screen is really unbelievable. I'm like 300 pages into A Feast for Crows, but debating if I should buy the 4 first books on Kindle so I can just continue the collection on there.

To do the whole Canadian pricing thing....is it the Kindle itself you have to switch it's region on?

Jintor

Goddamnit Japanese-to-English dictionary makers HURRY UP AND RELEASE YOUR STUFF ON HERE

Same goes for you, books in the Japanese language

Anybody know if the 3G Kindle supports Japanese text innately? I'm just using .pdfs and image data at the moment, I think.

Jintor said:
Goddamnit Japanese-to-English dictionary makers HURRY UP AND RELEASE YOUR STUFF ON HERE

Same goes for you, books in the Japanese language

Anybody know if the 3G Kindle supports Japanese text innately? I'm just using .pdfs and image data at the moment, I think.

I haven't been able to get Japanese ebooks to reliably work on a Kindle 3, even ones that work great in the Kindle.app on iPad. I've given up my Kindle 3 to use Kindle.app exclusively, but hopefully when more Japanese publishers actually get on board with ebooks Kindles will do better with Japanese support.

http://www.cultofmac.com/amazon-will-challenge-ipad-with-5m-kindle-tablets-in-2011/103585
Ed Sutherland(Cult of Mac) said:
Amazon appears confident about its rumored tablet’s chances against the iPad. In fact, the Kindle maker has ordered several million 10-inch units for the entire 2011 year.

The online retail giant has begun what Canaccord Genuity chip analyst Bobby Burleson calls a “strong build,” ordering more than 1.5 million units for the current three-month period and possibly as high as 5 million devices for all of tis year.

The hefty orders appear to contradict recent concerns suppliers may be too busy fulfilling Apple’s devices to deal with any rival products. Touch panel supplier TPK was said to be “reluctant to make a commitment to supplying touch panels to Amazon,” industry publication DigTimes had reported. Amazon is shooting for introducing its tablet in September, during the all-important back-to-school period, according to reports.

However Burleson sees touch panel supplier Atmel and Tegra processor maker Nvidia as benefitting from the Amazon orders.

In a related development, the advent of tablets are causing consumers to choose between an iPad-like device or a laptop. “Simply put, with tablets, consumers are asking themselves ‘what device should I purchase?’,” said Credit Suisse analyst Thompson Wu Wednesday. “We believe this has translated into some cannibalization.”

At last count, Apple has sold more than 2.6 million iPad 2, indicating Amazon foresees significant demand for its Android-powered alternative. Is Amazon right in its confidence? Let us know.
tZkxO.jpg

I don't know if any of this is new information - I just liked the terribly photoshop'd mock-up.

Jintor

I'm probably not touching any portable devices besides my phone and my 3DS that isn't e-ink from now on. The lack of stress on my eyeballs is worth it.

slade

Gvaz said:
Are you making sure you're adding the right one? It works for me.

I accidentally was adding the number on the bottom right near the version number and not the actual serial number
shepicide.001.gif

Yeah, I've got the right serial number. I even checked my account at Amazon and copied the number from there sans the spaces. It just doesn't work. Anytime I try to put in a book, it says that the decoding failed and it will import the drm version instead.

Unless there is some step missing in the instructions, I don't know what's wrong.

If Amazon releases a 7" tablet at $300 - $350 or so I might consider picking it up. I really want a tablet to take in day hikes to assist in identifying wildlife.

Any word on when the tablet might come out? I'm getting one in August or September, pretty sure I'm getting an iPad 2 but if the Amazon tablet is coming out soon I'd at least like to see it.

dr3upmushroom said:
Any word on when the tablet might come out? I'm getting one in August or September, pretty sure I'm getting an iPad 2 but if the Amazon tablet is coming out soon I'd at least like to see it.

DON'T BUY AN IPAD 2 RIGHT NOW. All of the rumor sites are saying an ipad refresh in September this year.....

Ulairi said:
Which is just stupid. It won't be out in September.

it would make sense for Apple to move the ipad unveiling to September. Ipods are a dying market, and this would give them a killer product every Holiday season. As it is now, people hold off at Christmas knowing that it will come out in Spring.

outunderthestars said:
DON'T BUY AN IPAD 2 RIGHT NOW. All of the rumor sites are saying an ipad refresh in September this year.....
I don't know, I'll wait until at least the Apple conference thing in September, but those rumors seem pretty outlandish to me. I mean, why would they do that? Releasing another one within the same year would seriously piss a ton of people off, it would sell far less because many people already have the 2, it just seems like a horrible, horrible idea. So yeah, I'll wait a bit but if they don't mention it at the September thing I'm not going to worry about it.

And yeah, it would be good for them to have new ones out at Christmas, but they don't want two products coming out at the same time, and there's a rumor that the iPhone 5 will come out around October too. And even if they did want the iPad to come out around Christmas, it would be far smarter for them to wait for next year. The iPad 2 is more than capable enough, it sells on the Apple name alone. I'm sure it'd be fine for another year, and even if people started to get tired of it or whatever at least Apple wouldn't have to deal with the shitstorm they'd encounter if they released a revision less than a year after the 2.

dr3upmushroom said:
I don't know, I'll wait until at least the Apple conference thing in September, but those rumors seem pretty outlandish to me. I mean, why would they do that? Releasing another one within the same year would seriously piss a ton of people off, it would sell far less because many people already have the 2, it just seems like a horrible, horrible idea. So yeah, I'll wait a bit but if they don't mention it at the September thing I'm not going to worry about it.

At some point Apple is going to want to start refreshing their most popular hardware in the Fall, to maximize the Holiday season.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Does anyone here know where I can find a English-Greek/Greek English dictionary in mobi/epub format? Free like the stardict ones would be great, since I will only need it for my holiday in Greece next week.

Angst

iPad2!

Seriously, couldn't you guys have the iPad discussion in one of the numerous Apple threads?

brentech said:
Just received my Kindle-SO today. The screen is really unbelievable. I'm like 300 pages into A Feast for Crows, but debating if I should buy the 4 first books on Kindle so I can just continue the collection on there.

To do the whole Canadian pricing thing....is it the Kindle itself you have to switch it's region on?
No, you have to set up a phony US address in Amazon's web store and then purchase the content using that address. The time I tried it I got an e-mail from Amazon asking me to explain how I can have a Norwegian IP and live in the US... but nothing more serious than that.

kamorra said:
Does anyone here know where I can find a English-Greek/Greek English dictionary in mobi/epub format? Free like the stardict ones would be great, since I will only need it for my holiday in Greece next week.

Not a dictionary, but it may be useful and it's free.
FREE 25 Language Phrasebook from Mobile Reference (Mobi Travel) [Kindle Edition]

Ancient Greek (go old school)
Liddell and Scott: An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (1889). v0.1 20 Aug 2010

This is a .dic file. I don't know how to convert it, but there must be a way.
English-Greek Dictionary

I didn't check these links, but there may be a dictionary that you can more easily convert to mobi.
Other dictionary resources

And for the riots:
U.S. Army Hand-To-Hand Combat [Kindle Edition]

brentech

Angst said:
No, you have to set up a phony US address in Amazon's web store and then purchase the content using that address. The time I tried it I got an e-mail from Amazon asking me to explain how I can have a Norwegian IP and live in the US... but nothing more serious than that.
Bah. I do way too much business with Amazon to risk anything, so maybe I'll just pass on the idea.

Half tempted to just bite the bullet and pay the 30 dollars, but I do think it is so very wrong to charge more for an e-book than a physical copy. It's obviously not a lot of money, but it's the backwards ass system they have in place.

At least with ADWD the Kindle version on release will be cheaper than the hardbacks...

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
HiroProtagonist said:
Not a dictionary, but it may be useful and it's free.
FREE 25 Language Phrasebook from Mobile Reference (Mobi Travel) [Kindle Edition]

Ancient Greek (go old school)
Liddell and Scott: An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (1889). v0.1 20 Aug 2010

This is a .dic file. I don't know how to convert it, but there must be a way.
English-Greek Dictionary

I didn't check these links, but there may be a dictionary that you can more easily convert to mobi.
Other dictionary resources

And for the riots:
U.S. Army Hand-To-Hand Combat [Kindle Edition]

Thanks! Especially for the Hand-To-Hand Combat book. :p

Angst

brentech said:
Bah. I do way too much business with Amazon to risk anything, so maybe I'll just pass on the idea.

Half tempted to just bite the bullet and pay the 30 dollars, but I do think it is so very wrong to charge more for an e-book than a physical copy. It's obviously not a lot of money, but it's the backwards ass system they have in place.

At least with ADWD the Kindle version on release will be cheaper than the hardbacks...
I agree a million times. Keep in mind that it's not Amazon but the shitty publishers that sets the prices.

mantidor

So I'm in the hunt for a nice facsimile version of Alice in Wonderland for the Kindle with illustrations and everything, and it seems really hard to get for free, so I was willing to pay $4 for this version which looks very nice (and complete!), however either Amazon or Visa screwed up my order, has anyone find a nice free version for Alice? Illustrations are a must, the actual freaking book starts complaining about books without illustrations, It just seems wrong to read Alice without the original drawings.

brentech

mantidor said:
So I'm in the hunt for a nice facsimile version of Alice in Wonderland for the Kindle with illustrations and everything, and it seems really hard to get for free, so I was willing to pay $4 for this version which looks very nice (and complete!), however either Amazon or Visa screwed up my order, has anyone find a nice free version for Alice? Illustrations are a must, the actual freaking book starts complaining about books without illustrations, It just seems wrong to read Alice without the original drawings.
Read your post and then was off looking for some free books myself, and Alice came up here, so I thought I'd take a look.
Try this one out: http://www.archive.org/stream/aliceinwonderlan00carriala
Seems to have the illustrations in it as far as I checked, which wasn't that much. If not, this site has about 15 ebook versions available, so you can see if the other ones do the job for you.

If you like how that one looks, it's the link in the top left corner will bring you back to the book's page and you can choose send to kindle from there.

Enco

Would you kindle guys recommend waiting it out to see if there's a new kindle, waiting it out for the tablet or getting a kindle 3 not too far in the future?

Enco said:
Would you kindle guys recommend waiting it out to see if there's a new kindle, waiting it out for the tablet or getting a kindle 3 not too far in the future?

Get the Wifi kindle with special offers. You'll save money, and get absurdly good deals. Then when a new model comes out sell it for $75 on ebay and move on.

The special offers are really good deals.. :)

Enco

outunderthestars said:
Get the Wifi kindle with special offers. You'll save money, and get absurdly good deals. Then when a new model comes out sell it for $75 on ebay and move on.

The special offers are really good deals.. :)
I'm in the UK so sadly that isn't an option.

Will the new Kindle likely be out by September?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm having a bit of an issue ripping Kindle DRM. I have to download Python on my PC to do it via a plugin in calibre?

I just have one book to strip. Ugh...

brentech

Bboy AJ said:
I'm having a bit of an issue ripping Kindle DRM. I have to download Python on my PC to do it via a plugin in calibre?

I just have one book to strip. Ugh...
I didn't have to do that to bring my free kindle books into Calibre.

Calibre + the plugin, assuming you already have it unzipped and the plugins loaded in Calibre.
Go to PREFERENCES > PLUGINS > double click on the one that says K4PC, K4MAC, Kindle mobi > enter your kindle's serial number in the pop up.

Hit okay, back out of preferences, THEN import your book from the kindle and it strips the DRM. Apparently it only strips DRM when importing into Calibre, once it's in, you can convert it any which way.

Hope that answers.

Being able to edit meta data is a godsend. I'm way too anal about how things show up, and only received my kindle 2 days ago, lol. My only complaint is not being able to bury a collection inside a collection. Or least I haven't figured that out.

mantidor

brentech said:
Read your post and then was off looking for some free books myself, and Alice came up here, so I thought I'd take a look.
Try this one out: http://www.archive.org/stream/aliceinwonderlan00carriala
Seems to have the illustrations in it as far as I checked, which wasn't that much. If not, this site has about 15 ebook versions available, so you can see if the other ones do the job for you.

If you like how that one looks, it's the link in the top left corner will bring you back to the book's page and you can choose send to kindle from there.

Thanks! I prefer the Tenniel illustrations, and the first one is in tachigraphy! the others are ok but I imported one and the formatting was all wrong. Amazon was kind enough to give me a free copy of the book after I asked them about the problem, and is great, unfortunately the mouse poem isn't formatted like a tail, they mentioned they just couldn't do it right for the kindle.

That site is great though, thanks again for the tip!

deduce

Just bought a Kindle 3G (3G+WiFi). My textbooks this semester are eBooks and I really didn't like the idea of reading through textbooks on my computer. I had no idea the Kindle offered web browsing, especially free browsing over 3G.

I found a website ( http://nowsci.com/reader/kindle ) that allows me to view my Google Reader RSS feeds easily. I now use my Kindle for all my online reading. I'm really happy with this purchase.

Gvaz

Banned
brentech said:
My only complaint is not being able to bury a collection inside a collection. Or least I haven't figured that out.
My complaint is that you can't browse series collections under an artist view (then have them sorted by either release date or chronological date.

Like:

George R.R. Martin > A Song of Ice and Fire > 3. A Storm of Swords

but no it's:

A Storm of Swords
           George R.R. Martin

brentech

Gvaz said:
My complaint is that you can't browse series collections under an artist view (then have them sorted by either release date or chronological date.

Like:

George R.R. Martin > A Song of Ice and Fire > 3. A Storm of Swords

but no it's:

A Storm of Swords
           George R.R. Martin
God damn, I can tell there will be some OCD issues I'll run into.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah all the files are just thrown into one folder, and sorting just changes the order of the files not the actual display.

You know like the Apple UI? It would be great if the kindle had that imo

Enco said:
I'm in the UK so sadly that isn't an option.

Will the new Kindle likely be out by September?
Between the first and second Kindle generations was 15 months. Between the second and third was 18 months. September would be 13 months from Kindle 3, so seems pretty doubtful. Especially with launching the all-but-confirmed Amazon tablets this fall, I don't think we'll see a new e-ink Kindle this year.
deduce said:
I found a website ( http://nowsci.com/reader/kindle ) that allows me to view my Google Reader RSS feeds easily. I now use my Kindle for all my online reading. I'm really happy with this purchase.
I tried that site before, but frankly found just using Google's own mobile version of Reader from m.google.com simpler.

deduce

JoshuaJSlone said:
Between the first and second Kindle generations was 15 months. Between the second and third was 18 months. September would be 13 months from Kindle 3, so seems pretty doubtful. Especially with launching the all-but-confirmed Amazon tablets this fall, I don't think we'll see a new e-ink Kindle this year.

I tried that site before, but frankly found just using Google's own mobile version of Reader from m.google.com simpler.
The thing I liked about that website is that every article corresponded to a letter on the Kindle's keyboard so I can navigate without using the cursor. Although the trade-off is that it doesn't gives you the preview text of the article without clicking like you get with m.google.com/reader. I hope Amazon adds a RSS feed app with a future update.

is it possible to convert .pdf's to Kindle format? I have some and don't want to re-buy them from the damnazon store.

Also, is $80 a good price for a used wifi kindle?

Alpha-Bromega said:
is it possible to convert .pdf's to Kindle format? I have some and don't want to re-buy them from the damnazon store.

Also, is $80 a good price for a used wifi kindle?

Kindle supports PDFs. You can also use Calibre for conversion if for some reason you need to.

Gvaz

Banned
If for some reason you mean so it's not slow as ass loading.

Be warned that any pdfs with inline images will either not convert or take for-fucking-ever with calibre.

Top Bottom