• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

mandiller

69LMf.gif

I've got a problem with one of the books I bought from Amazon. It's formatted really strangely. Instead of being centred-justified, it's right-justified, meaning it leaves a big margin on the left hand side as you can see. Is there anyway to fix it and format it so it look correct? This is the only book I have any trouble with and its annoying me. All my other books are correctly in the centre.

I already emailed amazon and they said they could give me a refund if I want, but I still want to read the book. So can I reformat it correctly in calibre or something? Any ideas/solutions?

mandiller said:
69LMf.gif

I've got a problem with one of the books I bought from Amazon. It's formatted really strangely. Instead of being centred-justified, it's right-justified, meaning it leaves a big margin on the left hand side as you can see. Is there anyway to fix it and format it so it look correct? This is the only book I have any trouble with and its annoying me. All my other books are correctly in the centre.

I already emailed amazon and they said they could give me a refund if I want, but I still want to read the book. So can I reformat it correctly in calibre or something? Any ideas/solutions?
Try fixing it in Calibre

Enco

JoshuaJSlone said:
Between the first and second Kindle generations was 15 months. Between the second and third was 18 months. September would be 13 months from Kindle 3, so seems pretty doubtful. Especially with launching the all-but-confirmed Amazon tablets this fall, I don't think we'll see a new e-ink Kindle this year.

I tried that site before, but frankly found just using Google's own mobile version of Reader from m.google.com simpler.
Thanks. That makes sense.

I'll have a look into getting one.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hey guys, how can I make it so that my Kindle shows me which page, out of how many I'm on while I'm reading (without having to press the menu button).

Also, any news on a firmware update? It seems with the Nook Color selling so well, Amazon would have announced an interesting firmware, at very least. :(

mantidor

So I'm trying to search for the possibility of having the text-to-speech functionality in other languages but all google gives me is articles about the debacle of Amazon letting publishers decide if the allow it or not, does anyone know if its possible to have text-to-speech in languages like spanish or portuguese?

UltimaKilo said:
Just looked through the entire Canadian store and saw normal prices.
Did you switch your kindle country setting to a Canadian address on the amazon website (Your Account -> Manage Kindle -> Country Settings)?

Yesterday, I was able to purchase the series for $9.99 CAN after doing so.

Thanks Hanzou!

Fusebox

Banned
Hanzou said:
Just a heads up that the Game of Thrones 4 pack is only $9.99 on the Canadian Kindle store.

Nice one! Is is the newer versions with minimal typos or the original kindle versions which are filled with typos?

Narag said:
That four pack should be the revised edition.
Is there an easy way to tell?

Just after the publisher identification at the beginning of A Game of Thrones, there's a version number of v3.1_r2. Seems to imply these are the revised versions. Yeah?

Narag

AFAIK they replaced the older editions with the new ones when the books jumped from $5.99sh to their current prices. I have it on my kindle and haven't seen any glaring errors like the previous seem to be known for.

Narag said:
AFAIK they replaced the older editions with the new ones when the books jumped from $5.99sh to their current prices. I have it on my kindle and haven't seen any glaring errors like the previous seem to be known for.
Awesome!

I'm gonna have to start checking the Canadian store more often before purchasing. Hopefully avoid some of the ebook tax of which US publishers have become fond.

Kindle 3G with Special Offers Sponsored By AT&T, Now Priced At $139
Matt Burns from Techcrunch said:
The Kindle 3G is now available for a lower price. That is if you don’t mind seeing AT&T ads. Amazon and AT&T just announced that two have teamed up to offer the Kindle 3G for $139. That’s a price drop of $50 off the retail model and $25 lower than the previous offer. All you give up are the standard literary greats screensavers for AT&T adverts. The rest of the Kindle 3G is the same. It’s the same e-ink screen, long battery life and slender design.

Edit:

TZRrf.png

Amazon has lowered the regular 3G SO kindle from $164.00 to 139.99:
Kindle 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

Apparently the ATT screensaver kindle still has "Special Offers", and is just replacing the old varied ad 3G-SO kindle.

Amazon Plans Tablet Computer by October

Amazon.com Inc. plans to introduce a tablet computer before October, said people familiar with the matter, in a move that will heighten the online retailer's rivalry with Apple Inc.

The Seattle-based company will also release two updated versions of its popular Kindle electronic reader in the third quarter of the year, the people said. One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device.

The two new black-and-white Kindle electronic readers will use the same technology as in the previous Kindles, in which the screens mimic the appearance of ink on paper. The touch-screen version will compete against similar devices that two other e-reader makers, Barnes & Noble Inc. and Kobo Inc., released in May.
This is the first talk I've seen of updated eInk Kindles coming this year.

I finally had the opportunity to take a good look at one of these toys. Visually, it's extremely impressive. Doesn't look like a screen at all! I really wish there was an option to write books on these things. Is there talks of doing that at all in the future? With no eye strain and portability beyond laptop capability, it would be fantastic. They Qwerty keyboard is already there, the thing can clearly work with text...

Mr. B Natural said:
I finally had the opportunity to take a good look at one of these toys. Visually, it's extremely impressive. Doesn't look like a screen at all! I really wish there was an option to write books on these things. Is there talks of doing that at all in the future? With no eye strain and portability beyond laptop capability, it would be fantastic. They Qwerty keyboard is already there, the thing can clearly work with text...

I think you would would literally be the only person on earth who wants that feature.

And yes, I think this Fall we will see $99 Kindles.....

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The Seattle-based company will also release two updated versions of its popular Kindle electronic reader in the third quarter of the year, the people said. One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device.

The two new black-and-white Kindle electronic readers will use the same technology as in the previous Kindles, in which the screens mimic the appearance of ink on paper. The touch-screen version will compete against similar devices that two other e-reader makers, Barnes & Noble Inc. and Kobo Inc., released in May.

Why not just drop the price of the Wifi Kindle to $120 and the SO Wifi to $99 now and boost 3Q sales? Then they could devote Q4 to the tablet.

Sleepy

UltimaKilo said:
Why not just drop the price of the Wifi Kindle to $120 and the SO Wifi to $99 now and boost 3Q sales? Then they could devote Q4 to the tablet.

Is that the 3rd quarter of this year for the new Kindles??? So glad I have put off getting one, if so.

Wrekt

A Kindle 2 was passed down to me and I love it. One thing that drives me crazy though is the "locations" information instead of the page number. Google searches tell me they only added page numbers on Kindle 3's. Is there some kind of hack I can do to get page numbers?

Haha, I keep getting burnt for buying books early. I bought the 4 pack for $20 like a month ago and I just started 2 days ago and it dropped. :p

That's pretty awesome that they price on them keeps dropping, especially the 3G model. I spent $190 only a few months ago and still love my 3G one.

DiscoJer

outunderthestars said:
I think you would would literally be the only person on earth who wants that feature.

I dunno, I've seen people over at Mobileread (the neogaf of e-reading) want just that.

It would actually be quite cool to have like an e-ink word processor or something to write on, I think. It would be pretty niche, but still, writing on a computer can cause both eye-strain and distraction (you start doing other stuff, especially if you are connected to the internet)

Number45

Wrekt said:
A Kindle 2 was passed down to me and I love it. One thing that drives me crazy though is the "locations" information instead of the page number. Google searches tell me they only added page numbers on Kindle 3's. Is there some kind of hack I can do to get page numbers?
As far as I can tell even on the 3 it's a book specific feature, not system wide.

Wrekt said:

It's definitely a strange thing to see at first, but I don't even really care about page numbers anymore. I actually like locations and the fact that the percentage is given. Locations seem more precise, if more esoteric and intimidating. I understand the use in page numbers for citation, but it feels wrong in an edition that has no pages. I like my Kindle because it's not a book, it's evolved the technology in surprisingly wonderful ways. The only feature I want is the look of ink and paper.

I am glad that the Kindle 3 does have page numbers, having options great, and that they actually link up to a paper edition. Do other e-readers do this now or do they still generate page numbers based on all the customization variables? That inconsistency made the feature mostly useless.

slade

epmode said:
Right. A Dance with Dragons still doesn't have page numbers, sadface.

Makes me glad I bought the epub version and converted it via calibre. I've actually got page numbers.

Anyway, I want page numbers just because its an age old method of measuring your progress in a book. And they are better then locations or a percentage point for that purpose. I don't want them to make citations or a bunch of other gobbeldigook reasons that Amazon and others seem to think I want them for.

Number45

epmode said:
Right. A Dance with Dragons still doesn't have page numbers, sadface.
That's odd, because both A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings had page numbers. Stopped there because I was a little burned out on the series so I don't know about the others.

CatPee

I've grown quite fond of the hidden image viewer feature lately, even if it's a bit wonky at times. Makes reading comics/manga so good <3.

Gvaz

Banned
Number45 said:
That's odd, because both A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings had page numbers. Stopped there because I was a little burned out on the series so I don't know about the others.
It has locations but not page numbers for some weird reason.
screenshotnlut.jpg

dLMN8R

Awesome, I picked up The Hunger Games book 2 for $1, and paid "full price ($4 something) for book 1.

So I just got this Kindle - anyone have any cool tips or tricks for it that don't require jailbreaking/unlocking/whatever? Anyone have recommendations for reading RSS feeds that could perhaps sync back to my google reader account when items are read?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Gvaz said:
It has locations but not page numbers for some weird reason.

A lot of books have that w/ kindle. Really annoying. I'm reading on the Nook and it has page numbers. Weird that one has and one doesn't.

Wrekt said:
You can update to 3.1, but it requires you to obtain the 3.1 firmware from a kindle 3. Yifanlu (the guy responsible for most of the kindle hacks) says:
Yifanlu said:
I will refer to the Kindle you are updating as "client" (for example, a Kindle 2 US 2.5.8 is a client), and the Kindle you get the files from as the "host" (for example a Kindle 3 Wifi 3.1 is a host). The only reason the host is required is because I will not redistribute Amazon code for legal reasons. I am, therefore, not responsible if you obtain the host files from anywhere other then your own Kindle 3.
Which I don't understand because you can download the 3.1 firmware from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200529700#download

This is the link to Yifanlu's thread on this subject at the mobilereads forum:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127969

And his website for the download:
http://yifan.lu/p/kindleupdater

It seems a bit too complicated if you're just doing it for page numbers - to me, anyway. :)

I love my Kindle!!!

But does anyone else get freaked out whenever Emily Dickinson pops onto the screen saver? Also gives me the chills.

I gotta change those soon!

Ramma2

dLMN8R said:
Awesome, I picked up The Hunger Games book 2 for $1, and paid "full price ($4 something) for book 1.

So I just got this Kindle - anyone have any cool tips or tricks for it that don't require jailbreaking/unlocking/whatever? Anyone have recommendations for reading RSS feeds that could perhaps sync back to my google reader account when items are read?

Check out this thread, for custom screen savers. Make sure to post some if you find any, that thread doesn't get much action these days.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428462

Edit: I suck at reading, the no jailbreak part. It's the easiest hack I've ever done, compared to an android root/apple jailbreak, if that matters at all.

Top Bottom