• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

AndyD

aka andydumi
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Yes! Such a terrible picture. I'm ok with the rest of them but Emily Dickinson is the worst.

Me too, that picture is creepy. I wish there were more pictures though, I particularly like the plants and animals ones.

I got bored of making Kindle wallpapers, but you all have inspired me to improve Emily Dickinson.

LPSkm.png

purg3

slept with Malkin
HammerOfThor said:
I love my Kindle!!!

But does anyone else get freaked out whenever Emily Dickinson pops onto the screen saver? Also gives me the chills.

I gotta change those soon!

lol that's why I put custom screensavers on mine as soon as I got it.

Sleepy

JAVK said:
Maybe a dumb question, But should I buy a Kindle now, or is there likely to be a newer model soon?

I usually read on my iPad, but my olds fell in love with it so I gave it to them.

Rumors of a cheaper Kindle w/keyboard and a new Kindle Touch screen coming in October. You may want to wait a bit to see if these pan out. Amazon should release some info soon, I would expect.

Blackhead

Redarse
JoeTheBlow said:
A new model will be more expensive. Is touch screen and/or color screen that important?

I've read the reviews of the touch screen ones, i'm not impressed, responsiveness of the e-ink screens is low enough, seems much worse with touch. Hate swipe to flip-page, and it leaves finger prints on that immaculate surface.
I just need the sidebuttons to flip the page, nothing else.

If you just read books, insta-get.
what reviews are you reading? almost the ones i've read say the touch screens are better. they are certainly better for navigating the ui and selecting words for the dictionary or highlighting. the nook touch still has the sidebuttons if you need that so badly.

Tokubetsu

I might have asked this before but is it cool/safe to jailbreak and do the screensaver hack on the newer kindle versions (3.2.1 I think) yet?

gkryhewy

Greyface said:
what reviews are you reading? almost the ones i've read say the touch screens are better. they are certainly better for navigating the ui and selecting words for the dictionary or highlighting. the nook touch still has the sidebuttons if you need that so badly.
Just picked up a nook touch yesterday -- love it. The screen refresh is much faster than our old reader (my wife's old model nook, which updated to the latest firmware is pretty snappy), and I have no issues with responsiveness of the touch screen. There are nice interface subtleties, such as: if you prefer not to swipe to turn a page, you can just single tap anywhere in the right half of the screen to advance, and the left side to go back. I thought I'd still be using the physical buttons on the side, but the single-touch page turn is much nicer.

Sleepy

I'm still waiting to see the Amazon Touch reader. The Nook Touch is awesome, but I just do not want to be tied to B&N; also, having on 250MB for sideloaded content (and, yes, I know that I can buy an SD card) is pretty stupid on a consumer level.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Anyone else notice this rent-a-textbook thing? It's probably old already, but I just noticed it today (I'm surprised only just now, I'm always buying textbooks for fun and pleasure.) It's a bit annoying since on those books the "buy" button has been changed to "rent", and you have to take extra steps to actually buy it. I hope at least you have to confirm you want to rent it before paying the money to rent it, just in case you really want to buy it and rent it by accident (almost did that with one book, which is why I'm irrationally irate.) Price to rent a book for 120 days is almost the price to own it outright. Seems a bit silly, but to each their own I suppose.

gkryhewy

JoeTheBlow said:
As a new Kindle owner i started going through this whole thread expecting it to be a bunch of people happy with their new gadget.
Instead, at least half of the posts are Nook owners coming in and going on about the Nook. STFU!
No-one outside the US even knows WTF a Nook even is.

Sorry, champ. I was just replying on touch e-readers generally (a line of conversation started with ill-informed negative impressions). I expect the kindle touch will have the same functionality.

I can't wait to see what the Kindles are like. I hope they use the higher definition screens that are out now. I don't think we'll see any 2,400 x 1,650 (maybe if the renew the DX line). I know the iRiver Story HD has a 1024 x 768, so Amazon better use that so they have a big advantage over the Nook (it looks noticeable better than the standard 800 x 600). A higher resolution screen is one of my biggest wants for e-ink.

Touch I can go either way on. It'll be good for quick definition access but I do like having a physical keyboard. The one thing that will annoy me, because I often swipe at specks of dirt, dust, hair, etc., on my screen during a reading session, is I'll accidentally use touch features. Finger prints don't get that annoying to me, but they can depending on how the light hits the screen.

I am glad Amazon is giving us the choice though.

commish said:
A lot of books have that w/ kindle. Really annoying. I'm reading on the Nook and it has page numbers. Weird that one has and one doesn't.
I tried out the Nook today. Pretty impressive. I thought it was actually a bit too light. I prefer the responsiveness of the page-turn buttons on the Kindle, though I doubt you ever use them that often. I noticed the page numbers only rolled over every 2nd page turn. I guess it was keeping track of the physical book's page numbering. I like the percentage over page numbers. There's no reason to keep page numbers on an electronic device that can change font sizes and margins.

Sleepy

VistraNorrez said:
A higher resolution screen is one of my biggest wants for e-ink.

I am glad Amazon is giving us the choice though.

How much of a difference will resolution make on e-ink, though? It's not as if they are blurry now. Am I missing something?

When will Amazon release pics/vids of the new ones?

Enco

Help Me! said:
How much of a difference will resolution make on e-ink, though? It's not as if they are blurry now. Am I missing something?

When will Amazon release pics/vids of the new ones?
The iRiver seems to have a pretty high resolution. The screen looks amazing but I'm not a fan of the buttons.

Hopefully soon.

kaskade

So kindle textbook rentals? Seems pretty nice, but not so much for the e-ink device. If I have any that support it I may try that +iPad.

Violater

Kindlegaf, before buying the kindle I wanted to make some quick checks.
I have a collection of papers on PDF format, I tried converting one to .mobi file format with Calibre the other night but the file went from 5mb pdf to 75mb mobi.
I figure I must be doing something wrong. :/

Kammie

A question... I've been considering purchasing a Kindle, but I live outside of the U.S., and would not be able to purchase it from Amazon due to import taxes (which are a little over the cost of the device). So I'd have to go through outside channels that don't offer a one-year warranty. But the Amazon page is filled with 1-star reviews saying that Kindles freeze and have needed to be exchanged. Doing some looking around, it seems that the non-lighted Amazon cover was a major cause of these freezing issues. Has anyone here who has not had one of these covers ever experienced an issue that forced them to have the Kindle replaced?

I'd get one in a heartbeat, but 1000 1-star reviews out of 27,000 make me a little wary...

Snaku

Banned
JoeTheBlow said:
As a new Kindle owner i started going through this whole thread expecting it to be a bunch of people happy with their new gadget.
Instead, at least half of the posts are Nook owners coming in and going on about the Nook. STFU!
No-one outside the US even knows WTF a Nook even is.

LOL sour grapes.

Socreges

Banned
Snaku said:
LOL sour grapes.
Says the guy whose only purpose in this thread has been to criticize the Kindle and promote the Nook. :)

It's truly bizarre that so many Nook owners insist on posting in here, but I personally don't have a problem with that so long as they're not disruptive to the purpose of the thread.

Kammie said:
A question... I've been considering purchasing a Kindle, but I live outside of the U.S., and would not be able to purchase it from Amazon due to import taxes (which are a little over the cost of the device). So I'd have to go through outside channels that don't offer a one-year warranty. But the Amazon page is filled with 1-star reviews saying that Kindles freeze and have needed to be exchanged. Doing some looking around, it seems that the non-lighted Amazon cover was a major cause of these freezing issues. Has anyone here who has not had one of these covers ever experienced an issue that forced them to have the Kindle replaced?

I'd get one in a heartbeat, but 1000 1-star reviews out of 27,000 make me a little wary...
Jintor had to send his back because it got stuck in USB mode, but I think he's the only one in this thread with a kindle hardware problem... I think. :\ Bboy AJ had the problem with the Amazon leather case you mentioned, but they sent him the lighted leather case as a replacement and now he lives in non-shorting, well lit, leather-bound bliss. (I assume)

Socreges said:
Says the guy whose only purpose in this thread has been to criticize the Kindle and promote the Nook. :)

It's truly bizarre that so many Nook owners insist on posting in here, but I personally don't have a problem with that so long as they're not disruptive to the purpose of the thread.

I think the Kindle 3 is a great product, but right now the Nook Touch is the superior device. That'll probably change in a few months if the rumors of a new Kindle are true. Just at this moment in time, the Nook is the better device.

Socreges

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I think the Kindle 3 is a great product, but right now the Nook Touch is the superior device. That'll probably change in a few months if the rumors of a new Kindle are true. Just at this moment in time, the Nook is the better device.
Am I being trolled? Your post has nothing to do with mine.

Socreges said:
Am I being trolled? Your post has nothing to do with mine.

I'm just saying that's the reason I think there are so many people pushing the Nook in here. I keep an interest in the Kindle since the Kindle 3 is a great product and I love Amazon, but I still ended up with a Nook. You said you find it bizarre, and I'm saying that's why I'm here and probably others who still push the Nook as the better device.

maxxpower

Hey guys I'm about to buy a Kindle but I also want to sell my physical book collection before I buy it. What's the best way to get rid of my book collection?(I live in the U.S.)

Cheech

Marty Chinn said:
I'm just saying that's the reason I think there are so many people pushing the Nook in here. I keep an interest in the Kindle since the Kindle 3 is a great product and I love Amazon, but I still ended up with a Nook. You said you find it bizarre, and I'm saying that's why I'm here and probably others who still push the Nook as the better device.

That's great, but the Nook shilling can be pretty annoying.

BTW, thanks for whoever kicked out that Canada suggestion. All 5 Game of Thrones books for $20, now THAT is some value!

maxxpower said:
Hey guys I'm about to buy a Kindle but I also want to sell my physical book collection before I buy it. What's the best way to get rid of my book collection?(I live in the U.S.)

Donate them to a library and take the deduction.

Socreges

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Alright. That still doesn't really address my point. For one, even before the Nook Touch was released, 'Nook fans' were in here doing the exact same thing. It's a result of people owning a particular device and their identity becoming attached to the brand (to varying extents). They then feel they need to promote/defend it. It's kind of fascinating to me. Granted, it's a lot more subtle than with, for example, videogame consoles.

I personally can't imagine going into a Nook thread to talk about the Kindle, even if I were to get a superior Kindle 4 or something. But that might be because this thread has a pretty healthy community going.

Ultimately, it's just a medium for reading. But that's brands and human nature. There are probably Brita fanboys out there.

maxxpower

If I buy a kindle am I only restricted to what Amazon sells or can I buy ebooks from B&N and other places if they have a book I want for a cheaper price?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
maxxpower said:
If I buy a kindle am I only restricted to what Amazon sells or can I buy ebooks from B&N and other places if they have a book I want for a cheaper price?

Restricted, but there are ways around it...

Socreges said:
Alright. That still doesn't really address my point. For one, even before the Nook Touch was released, 'Nook fans' were in here doing the exact same thing. It's a result of people owning a particular device and their identity becoming attached to the brand (to varying extents). They then feel they need to promote/defend it. It's kind of fascinating to me. Granted, it's a lot more subtle than with, for example, videogame consoles.

I personally can't imagine going into a Nook thread to talk about the Kindle, even if I were to get a superior Kindle 4 or something. But that might be because this thread has a pretty healthy community going.

Ultimately, it's just a medium for reading. But that's brands and human nature. There are probably Brita fanboys out there.

It still freaks me out to see Marty Chinn post in this thread more than the NHL thread. Shows his commitment to the sharks. :lol

maxxpower said:

Restricted until you convert the file with Calibre and put it on your kindle.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It still freaks me out to see Marty Chinn post in this thread more than the NHL thread. Shows his commitment to the sharks. :lol

Eh what? I've posted like 6 times in here and a couple of those times were today. I post way more often in the NHL thread but nobody likes to talk about western teams in there, especially the Sharks except for a handful of fans. So what's the point? I've posted before and nobody even has interest so I don't bother wasting time doing so anymore until it gets closer to the real season. Too many people care about teams who have trouble making the playoffs.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
maxxpower said:

There are a few other places that sell books in .mobi format. In particular I've bought books from Baen. I haven't been there for awhile though, as I just find it more convenient to buy all of my books in one place.

Marty Chinn said:
Eh what? I've posted like 6 times in here and a couple of those times were today. I post way more often in the NHL thread but nobody likes to talk about western teams in there, especially the Sharks except for a handful of fans. So what's the point? I've posted before and nobody even has interest so I don't bother wasting time doing so anymore until it gets closer to the real season. Too many people care about teams who have trouble making the playoffs.

I'm just busting you. :p We always bust you and arab for disappearing.

Number45

maxxpower said:
So I can connect a kindle to my computer via usb?
Yup, all it comes with is a standard USB cable and USB>AC adapter. A simple case of dragging the files on there once they're in the right format.

maxxpower said:
So I can connect a kindle to my computer via usb?

Ya, that's how you can move pdfs and text documents there. You can also send them through wifi for free to your kindle device. That's what the kindle email and stuff is for under Manage your kindle on amazon's website.

Marty Chinn said:
Stop wasting Internet bandwidth on teams that don't have a chance, and I'd gladly post more =)

I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

Top Bottom