• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kaskade

Looks like amazon is selling a refurbished model of the wifi kindle for 99. Last time this happened the kindle 3 launched shortly after. New kindle in September?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
kaskade said:
Looks like amazon is selling a refurbished model of the wifi kindle for 99. Last time this happened the kindle 3 launched shortly after. New kindle in September?

A month or so ago the WSJ said that Amazon was releasing new kindles this fall, so not a shocker if so.

AndyD

aka andydumi
commish said:
A month or so ago the WSJ said that Amazon was releasing new kindles this fall, so not a shocker if so.

A color tablet "kindle" is supposed to be out. Nook color style. I don;t think there have been rumors of a new e-ink kindle though.

commish

mojiimbo

AndyD said:
A color tablet "kindle" is supposed to be out. Nook color style. I don;t think there have been rumors of a new e-ink kindle though.
They had a source that specifically said that there were supposed to be two new black and white Kindle models coming in the third quarter, including a touch screen e-ink version.

mech IFR

Have been looking at the 13" MBA for a while now. If anyone has a 20% code they'd like to share, I'll take the plunge and switch to mac-GAF. Would be most grateful.

zychi

Banned
any chance a gaffer would be willing to part with their macbook coupon? i sent my new mba back to amazon for a messed up screen and I'm buying one anyways, but damn if saving 20% would be awesome. i have nothing to offer but an internet high five.

Hate to turn this into a beggar fest so I'll offer paypal 5 bucks to anyone willing to give up their 20% laptop code. I need to buy a laptop for school this fall, my old one died. If you can help me out send me a PM.

If you know the expiration date for the deal I would appreciate that as well. I wont be buying it until later this month.

I think I may have found a friend who has one and a gaffer has offered me a deal if it falls though. Thanks!

zychi

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
Hate to turn this into a beggar fest so I'll offer paypal 5 bucks to anyone willing to give up their 20% laptop code. I need to buy a laptop school since my old one died. If you can help me out send me a PM.

If you know the expiration date for the deal I would appreciate that as well. I wont be buying it until later this month.
august 8th.
e: if someone is giong to offer it, i'd say give it to bannedepisode, obviously he needs the laptop more then i do.

BannedEpisode said:
Hate to turn this into a beggar fest so I'll offer paypal 5 bucks to anyone willing to give up their 20% laptop code. I need to buy a laptop for school this fall, my old one died. If you can help me out send me a PM.

The code expires September 8th.

zychi

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
Ah dude, I didnt even see your post. Please dont think I was implying you were begging for anything. Im just desperate for a discount on my new computer!
my post was sincere, i can wait for another deal. you need it for school, i was just saying if someone reads my post before they read your's to send you the code. no hard feelings.

the Kindle free books aren't even worth the click to get them, total dog shit translations or mere samples. Is there a resource for epub works? do they really, truly expect me to re buy the hundreds of books i own? i'd never take a new release or something, but simply finding the Lattimore translation for the Iliad is near impossible and doesn't seem to be on the Amazon store.

thank God for the Gutenberg Project, but even that is 19th century translations. I don't want Marcus Aurelius rendered in fucking flowerly never ending prose, the dude spoke soooo simple.

Alpha-Bromega said:
the Kindle free books aren't even worth the click to get them, total dog shit translations or mere samples. Is there a resource for epub works? do they really, truly expect me to re buy the hundreds of books i own? i'd never take a new release or something, but simply finding the Lattimore translation for the Iliad is near impossible and doesn't seem to be on the Amazon store.

thank God for the Gutenberg Project, but even that is 19th century translations. I don't want Marcus Aurelius rendered in fucking flowerly never ending prose, the dude spoke soooo simple.
http://librivox.org/public-domain/
A translation is considered a new work, and its copyright status is determined by the year of publication of the translation, not the original work.
Try Project Gutenberg Australia. Up until 2005 books in Australia would enter the public domain 20 years before they would in the US.

http://gutenberg.net.au/
Alpha-Bromega said:
do they really, truly expect me to re buy the hundreds of books i own?
Yes? I don't think I understand the question.

dLMN8R

Reading outside with my epaper Kindle is so amazing and refreshing after squinting to see my phone. I can't imagine ever wanting a color/LCD-based version of an e-reader.

mojiimbo

I hate to ask and it's a long shot but would anyone happen to have one of those 20% off select laptop Special Offers available?

commish

mojiimbo said:
I hate to ask and it's a long shot but would anyone happen to have one of those 20% off select laptop Special Offers available?

Just an FYI, but I believe those are selling for something like $40 to $50.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dLMN8R said:
Reading outside with my epaper Kindle is so amazing and refreshing after squinting to see my phone. I can't imagine ever wanting a color/LCD-based version of an e-reader.

hear hear!

i see the kindle's deceptive simplicity as part of its value.

commish

themadhatter444 said:
Wow. Is it legal/rule abiding to sell codes on eBay like that? That's incredible.

No idea, but I just did a quick check and that's what I saw. Not the first Kindle coupons people have sold.

AndyD

aka andydumi
themadhatter444 said:
Wow. Is it legal/rule abiding to sell codes on eBay like that? That's incredible.

I think you can sell your time for getting the coupon, and give it away for free. Sort of a "pay me for my work, rather than the coupon" type thing. At least based on the stuff people write in their postings for coupons.

You can also trade them on some deals forums for other coupons and gift cards and things but not cash. The going rate on the laptop ones is $5-$30 in Amazon credit, or 2-3 of the free fandango movie vouchers. At least on one of the big forums.

Jintor

Gah, the cover I wanted won't ship to my address.

Whyyyy Amazon whhhhhhy

(seriously why can they ship some stuff here and not others? I'm in Sydney. Honest question.)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jintor said:
Gah, the cover I wanted won't ship to my address.

Whyyyy Amazon whhhhhhy

(seriously why can they ship some stuff here and not others? I'm in Sydney. Honest question.)

I think if its sent from certain distribution centers or affiliates its more limited.

Amazon Kindle Social Network Service is Alive and Kicking
Amazon has brought to life a new social networking feature that aims to bring along all Kindle users under a single roof. Numbers might not be as big as those that owe allegiance to other established players like Facebook or Twitter, but Kindle owners are already a substantial lot and the number is continually growing. Also, its does not make for a fair comparison with the above mentioned social networking sites as the Kindle service is purely related to e-books and one’s personal reading habits.
So with the new service, users will now have the option to create their own profile pages, much along the same lines as they have been doing at Facebook or Twitter. They can post here the topics of interest, a book they have read or are currently reading, and so on. Like Twitter, other can follow a person whom they believe have similar tastes and can be helpful for getting book recommendations.
However, what is missing is the hue and cry over the entire incident and some point out the service has already been there since quite long. In fact, some users have already created a fan following that numbers in hundreds, or maybe even thousands, though what is interesting is that there are many who aren’t aware of it. So those who have been in the dark while other Kindle owners have taken the lead, it’s time you head over to kindle.amazon.com and start off in earnest.

Amazon KindleAir.com domain registered, next Kindle inbound?
There has been speculation for months now that a new Kindle eReader or two was inbound. Amazon has registered a new domain name that is called KindleAir.com. The thought is that the new domain registration hints at what the next generation Kindle will be like. The assumption that the URL hints at a product is an easy one since the registration of kindlesocialnetwork.com and kindlesocialnetworking.com come after word of social networking features surfaced.

Hmmm... this, plus they have lowered the price of the Kindle 3 referbs. Dun DUn DUN. I have a feeling that Kindleair.com is going to be related to Kindle storage in the Amazon cloud, but it will probably be announced with the unveiling of the tablet and Kindle 4.

But Kindle books already store in a cloud. That's been one of the big points since the beginning, the whole whispernet thing.

And I've been using the kindle.amazon.com site since it's been around. It's okay. The best part is accessing all your notes and highlights (although some books have limits). It makes it really easy to quote from books because all you have to do is copy and paste. You can also add notes to the highlights from the website as well.

VistraNorrez said:
But Kindle books already store in a cloud. That's been one of the big points since the beginning, the whole whispernet thing.

And I've been using the kindle.amazon.com site since it's been around. It's okay. The best part is accessing all your notes and highlights (although some books have limits). It makes it really easy to quote from books because all you have to do is copy and paste. You can also add notes to the highlights from the website as well.
Is Whispernet the same thing? I know next to nothing about cloud computing, but I thought it was where you stored (in this case) ebooks and the display program on an Amazon server somewhere to be accessed (pull down from the cloud) via the web each time you use them.

I haven't been using kindle.amazon.com, but apparently they have added new features. *shrug*

Books can be redownloaded from Amazon's server again and again--the only way it could really be more cloudy would be to do something stupid like remove local storage altogether so you had to have an Internet connection to read.

It probably has nothing to do with the cloud. I'm just bored,
and this selling codes talk is awkward
. They probably just registered the domain so no one else could. I can't imagine them calling the next Kindle the "Kindle Air" after the shit storm the Android App store caused with Apple.

What are popular highlights based on? I just came upon a humorous one reading H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds."

It was:
"His landlady came to the door, loosely wrapped in dressing gown and shawl; her husband followed ejaculating."

Of course, ejaculating in this sentence probably meant to "utter suddenly." I guess based on the popularity of the highlight that I am not the only one immature enough to find that a bit funny.

Apple, publishers conspired against $9.99 Amazon e-books, says lawsuit
arstechnica said:
"Terrified" by Amazon's Kindle e-reader and discounted e-book pricing, five major publishers allegedly acted together to increase e-book prices and compel Amazon to abandon its discount sales strategy. That's the gist of a new class action antitrust lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Northern District of California by the Hagens Berman litigation group.

The five book sellers named in the suit are HarperCollins, Hachette Book Group, Macmillan, Penguin Group Inc., and Simon & Schuster Inc, plus one more defendant: Apple.

"Fortunately for the publishers, they had a co-conspirator as terrified as they were over Amazon's popularity and pricing structure, and that was Apple," charges Hagen Berman attorney Steve Berman. "We intend to prove that Apple needed a way to neutralize Amazon's Kindle before its popularity could challenge the upcoming introduction of the iPad, a device Apple intended to compete as an e-reader."

Very interesting.

jvm

Gamasutra.
When NPR reported on the story linked above about collusion, they mentioned that Amazon's share of the ebook market has dropped from 90% to 55%. I imagine that their total revenues have increased, mind you, but there are a whole ton of new ebook reader owners who aren't tied to Amazon at all now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jvm said:
When NPR reported on the story linked above about collusion, they mentioned that Amazon's share of the ebook market has dropped from 90% to 55%. I imagine that their total revenues have increased, mind you, but there are a whole ton of new ebook reader owners who aren't tied to Amazon at all now.

It was a good piece, but a little skimpy on content. The ARS piece is much better.

Husker86

So I think I asked this before in this thread but how come there are so many ebooks with errors from OCR scanning? In order to print the books they always have, don't they have digital copies of them already? Why go through another, error prone step?

Got me two quick questions:

1) Does anyone have any magazine subscriptions on their Kindle? If so, which ones? I'm thinking about getting a couple, specifically the Nation and New Yorker, among a few others. The reviews in general for the Kindle subscriptions are all over the place with some people claiming that articles are missing from the print versions, some people saying it's all there, some people saying they're horribly formatted with no table of contents and other saying they're perfect, etc.

2) Does anyone know of a padded sleeve or case big enough to accommodate a Kindle 3 inside of an Amazon cover? I'm heading back to school in a couple weeks and I really want to be able take it around in my backpack, but I'm still paranoid about the stories of it being fragile. Worst case scenario I'll just pick up one of the Belkin padded cases they sell at Target, but I really prefer the form factor with the Amazon case on and would really like to have a sleeve big enough that I can keep it on.

doghair

Neo Member
2) Does anyone know of a padded sleeve or case big enough to accommodate a Kindle 3 inside of an Amazon cover? I'm heading back to school in a couple weeks and I really want to be able take it around in my backpack, but I'm still paranoid about the stories of it being fragile. Worst case scenario I'll just pick up one of the Belkin padded cases they sell at Target, but I really prefer the form factor with the Amazon case on and would really like to have a sleeve big enough that I can keep it on.

I bought one of these Belkin sleeves meant for the Kindle 2 a month ago through a fulfilled by Amazon vendor - sold as used but said it was brand new in the description. $5 and it fits my Kindle 3 & lighted cover perfectly. Looks like it is still offered as used/really new condition from other vendors for around $6 and up shipped.

Angst

dr3upmushroom said:
1) Does anyone have any magazine subscriptions on their Kindle? If so, which ones? I'm thinking about getting a couple, specifically the Nation and New Yorker, among a few others. The reviews in general for the Kindle subscriptions are all over the place with some people claiming that articles are missing from the print versions, some people saying it's all there, some people saying they're horribly formatted with no table of contents and other saying they're perfect, etc.
I have no idea if all the articles are there, but you could just use free trial for the magazines you're interested in and see if you like them. Just remember to cancel the subscription if you don't want to pay for them.

jvm

Gamasutra.
dr3upmushroom said:
Got me two quick questions:

I have The New Yorker and have been reading it on my Kindle and in print since January.

The main thing I miss on the Kindle is the photography. If there is a photograph with a biographical piece, it won't be in the Kindle version. The little doodles (not cartoons) that are scattered throughout each issue are not present in the Kindle version, either.

All the cartoons are there, as is the cover (in B&W obviously). They're great. The articles are all there. Even reader letters are there.

There is a full table of contents, which is great for quick navigation.

I think for $3/month it's a great deal. I wish it were spiffier, but that will come with time, and I'm happy.

Jintor

Dudes think I should bother getting a Kindle cover with light? Now that I think about it I hardly ever read in unlit conditions anyway.

DiscoJer

Husker86 said:
So I think I asked this before in this thread but how come there are so many ebooks with errors from OCR scanning? In order to print the books they always have, don't they have digital copies of them already? Why go through another, error prone step?

I don't think they do have digital copies of some of the books. At least older ones. So they have to scan them in and they don't bother to proofread...

Nymerio

Jintor said:
Dudes think I should bother getting a Kindle cover with light? Now that I think about it I hardly ever read in unlit conditions anyway.

It's absolutely worth it. Could not imagine my kindle without one.

doghair said:
I bought one of these Belkin sleeves meant for the Kindle 2 a month ago through a fulfilled by Amazon vendor - sold as used but said it was brand new in the description. $5 and it fits my Kindle 3 & lighted cover perfectly. Looks like it is still offered as used/really new condition from other vendors for around $6 and up shipped.
Alright, this looks fine. Thanks!

And thanks to the people who posted impressions of the magazine subscriptions as well.

Jintor said:
You'd know better than anyone else. How often do you find yourself wanting to read and not have a light around?

Some people apparently use the lighted case in bed, which I find ridiculous. I have a light on my nightstand, I don't need to pay $35 to have one on my Kindle case.

It's convenient to have in the car though, and I have a friend who takes his Kindle camping and loves it. If you don't see yourself using it often though, it really is a lot extra for an LED light.

I wish someone would make a front-lit eReader. You can't have a backlight because of the screen technology, but some old handhelds like the GBA SP had front lights, and I don't see why an eReader couldn't have that.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
dr3upmushroom said:
You'd know better than anyone else. How often do you find yourself wanting to read and not have a light around?

Some people apparently use the lighted case in bed, which I find ridiculous. I have a light on my nightstand, I don't need to pay $35 to have one on my Kindle case.

It's convenient to have in the car though, and I have a friend who takes his Kindle camping and loves it. If you don't see yourself using it often though, it really is a lot extra for an LED light.

I wish someone would make a front-lit eReader. You can't have a backlight because of the screen technology, but some old handhelds like the GBA SP had front lights, and I don't see why an eReader couldn't have that.

It is not ridiculous if your partner wants to sleep while you are reading. Or if you're like me and cannot lean on one arm facing the light on the nightstand for too long.

Top Bottom