• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

made a thread about this before releasing there was an OT so I am just gonna quote myself here:

flintstryker said:
Just got a Kindle, and it won't turn on its stuck on the screen instructing to plug it in and let it charge what more the screen has some lines in it distorting the text.

My question to you gaf is it damaged or am i missing something here?

note briefly this is the type i have.

main%20kindle%203-420-90.jpg

flintstryker said:
made a thread about this before releasing there was an OT so I am just gonna quote myself here:
Jintor had the same problem.
Jintor said:
My Kindle is frozen on the 'USB Drive Mode' page even when unplugged :<
Jintor said:
Done all the tech support stuff. Contacted support, probably getting a replacement Kindle. Helpful support, even if they couldn't seem to do anything :<

No Clash of Kings for a while... how will I live? :<
Jintor said:
I sent off the old Kindle today, should get a replacement in about half a week

Call Amazon and they should replace it.

Tim-E

flintstryker said:
I didn't even get to use the damn thing once :(

You'll get to once they replace it. Their Kindle customer service is fantastic and I'm sure they won't hesitate to replace it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I had a similar issue with my Kindle.

Thankfully, as everybody said, Kindle support is just really damned good. I'm in Canada, and even considering International shipping, I got my new Kindle less than 48 hours later.

flintstryker said:
I didn't even get to use the damn thing once :(
Yeah, definitely mention that when you speak with them. If it were me, I'd mention how a free case would go a long way towards erasing this bad first impression from my memory (Jokingly, but serious, but joking).

Karak

Darn posted this in the other thread on accident.

For those looking for a cheap book that is still pretty damn good.
I just picked up and burned through
http://www.amazon.com/Arcana-Universalis-Terminus-ebook/dp/B005AHNA6E/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

I dug the world for sure. 0.99 is a good price.

So far I am loving my Kindle, loving it. I do miss the feel of a good book sometimes, and occasionally mine has a weird issue with recharging where it won't turn back on for awhile after recharging but I still think its probably the best device I have bought in the last maybe 2 years.

Found a couple of decent ones in the sale.

51p8XoH4hfL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

$2 GRRM collaborated on it. Good enough for me.

51rnQabRdAL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

$3 I like crime stories, and I like post apocalyptic stuff. So this was a no brainer for me.

dLMN8R

DrForester said:
I got the standard amazon case (with light), love it.
Same here. It wasn't cheap, but totally worth it IMO.

Also, to answer questions about the Kindle with Special Offers, now that I've had my 3G with special offers for a couple weeks:

-Not intrusive at all
-I miss having a custom screen saver, but since I have it in a case, it doesn't matter
-Deals are great so far - a couple $1 books, get $10 in credit for buying a Kindle book with 1-Click, etc. If you like Groupon, you'll love this.
-Every 3-4 days, Amazon rotates in a new set of 5-6 deals
-Every time you lock the Kindle, it rotates between the 5-6 active deals

Honestly, if I had a non-special-offers Kindle, I'd almost want the option to see the special offers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
dLMN8R said:

Also, to answer questions about the Kindle with Special Offers, now that I've had my 3G with special offers for a couple weeks:

-Not intrusive at all
-I miss having a custom screen saver, but since I have it in a case, it doesn't matter
-Deals are great so far - a couple $1 books, get $10 in credit for buying a Kindle book with 1-Click, etc. If you like Groupon, you'll love this.

Honestly, if I had a non-special-offers Kindle, I'd almost want the option to see the special offers.

I was going to get the special offers but someone told me that if you found in the future you didn't want it anymore you can not pay a fee and have the ads removed. That's was a deal breaker and I went for the normal one.

And now that you mention it. Custom screen savers. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial site on how to make/use those?

brentech

dLMN8R said:

-Not intrusive at all

Seriously, the special offers are baller. The $1 books are great, and the other offers are basically free money if you are a regular Amazon shopper.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have a question on the $1 special offer.

I entered my code, and it said pick a book. Then I accidentally closed the page before picking. now I can't reenter the code, it says its been used and the books are not showing up as $1.

Any solutions?

And any suggestions as to a book to pick?

Edit: Solved. It sits on your accoutn and it auto discounted the book at checkout. Also, I picked the Hangman's Daughter.

Gvaz

Banned
We'd like to update you on a change to the Kindle application that affects the way that you access the Kindle Store. In order to comply with recent policy changes by Apple, we've removed the "Kindle Store" link from within the app that opened Safari and took you to the Kindle Store.

You can still shop on iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch--just open the Safari web browser and go to Amazon.com. (For quick access, we recommend creating a bookmark in your web browser.) Your Kindle books will be delivered to your Kindle application and automatically downloaded when you open the app. Thanks for being a Kindle customer.

Lol Apple you fucktards

Futureman

um, so my GF and I are moving out. Apparently she keeps her Kindle charge cable in the box that the Kindle shipped in.

I think I threw that box out while preparing for the move...

can she just charge it through a computer with a USB cable?

luoapp

Futureman said:
um, so my GF and I are moving out. Apparently she keeps her Kindle charge cable in the box that the Kindle shipped in.

I think I threw that box out while preparing for the move...

can she just charge it through a computer with a USB cable?

Yes, USB micro.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Futureman said:
Just to be clear...

so my Droid X is micro USB.

she can just use the exact same cable, and even use the wall plug from my phone?

Yep, between our two kindles, two phones and such we have a ton of those micro usb chargers, and they all work for all devices.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is there a thread somewhere for advice or help on the kindle offers? I see the current one for $10 off a Bluray, but is there an easier list of the titles without having to go through a dozen Amazon pages? They are not even alphabetical.

brentech

AndyD said:
Is there a thread somewhere for advice or help on the kindle offers? I see the current one for $10 off a Bluray, but is there an easier list of the titles without having to go through a dozen Amazon pages? They are not even alphabetical.
Not that I'm aware of, they seem to always be on pages with no sort or quick info =\

This week's special offer on cameras is amazing! I just saved $117 on a Canon G12 I was going to buy this summer. I've saved close to $300 this year through the deals offered by it this year. :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone know of a foolproof way to sync to furthest page read as I move between devices? Kindle,ipad and back again.

T Ghost

Just got my first Kindle yesterday, I'm loving it.

I have one question that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere:

Is there any way to have white characters on a black background?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OuterWorldVoice said:
Anyone know of a foolproof way to sync to furthest page read as I move between devices? Kindle,ipad and back again.
Whisper net

Futureman

Are there any returns on books? Even like a 15 minute window like some app stores (pretty sure that's what it is for Android apps)?

T Ghost

Bboy AJ said:
Whisper net
This.

What I figured out by now is that You need to register all your devices (iPhone, Android, PC, Kindle, etc) with your amazon kindle account AND have your Kindle connected to a network. As long as these conditions are satisfied the sync is flawless.

Futureman said:
Are there any returns on books? Even like a 15 minute window like some app stores (pretty sure that's what it is for Android apps)?

It would be awesome. There should be an option where you have access to the full book for 30 minutes or so. Like a real bookstore. Sometimes I found that the sample part is not representative of the full book. I end up buying something that was interesting at the sample but the fool book doesn't "live up to the sample's hype".

Futureman said:
Once you purchase it (at least on the Kindle itself), the page has an option something like "Order was a mistake, cancel it." Beyond that, I don't think so, but that's what the samples are supposed to be for I suppose--though some samples ARE awful and do things like cut out at the table of contents. In those cases I pretty much assume the rest of the product would have been handled with as little care.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Futureman said:
I dont believe so. But you can preview most books I think in the browser, plus most books you can read the first chapter or so online.

Sleepy

Any word on when Amazon will reveal the new Kindles? Do they have a conference coming up soon, or will the information just magically appear on the interwebs?

I still haven't purchased an e-reader yet. Every time I decide to pull the trigger, something about one device sends me to the competition. I love the Nook Touch, but hate the fact that it comes with the Merriam-Webster dictionary that you can't use without a book; Kindle's two dictionaries, which are searchable, is a big selling point for me (I'm weird, I know). Also, the 250MB for sideloaded content really blows, as does the ghosting. I love the Kindle, but the damn keyboard makes me feel like I am reading from a "device" rather than a "book."

Common Amazon, just release the specs, pics already.

Number45

I love the dictionary integration on the Kindle, one of my absolute favourite things about it (I have no idea how that might work on other devices though, so no idea if it's better/worse on others).

I'm not sure I'll look to replace mine if they do announce a new model. Aside from a faster refresh (and that doesn't bother me enough to make me consider paying) there's really nothing more that I want from the device.

Number45 said:
I love the dictionary integration on the Kindle, one of my absolute favourite things about it (I have no idea how that might work on other devices though, so no idea if it's better/worse on others).

Me too. I'm in the middle of reading Warrior Soul: Memory of a Navy SEAL and he kept mentioning corniche and I had no idea what he was talking about. So I go up to the word and highlight it and bam, definition. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corniche

He was specifically talking about this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corniche_Beirut

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Help Me! said:
Any word on when Amazon will reveal the new Kindles? Do they have a conference coming up soon, or will the information just magically appear on the interwebs?

I still haven't purchased an e-reader yet. Every time I decide to pull the trigger, something about one device sends me to the competition. I love the Nook Touch, but hate the fact that it comes with the Merriam-Webster dictionary that you can't use without a book; Kindle's two dictionaries, which are searchable, is a big selling point for me (I'm weird, I know). Also, the 250MB for sideloaded content really blows, as does the ghosting. I love the Kindle, but the damn keyboard makes me feel like I am reading from a "device" rather than a "book."

I am totally acquiring a Kindle after this Christmas. I don't know if i'll get an old one at a discount price or one of the new ones - it all depends on the feature set and form factor. I really wish they would release the information at once - buying actual books from my country is impossible - they're really low quality and expensive. Importing books is one option, but the shipping kills me. Kindle would be the optimal solution.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Help Me! said:

I tried the touch nook and it was weird to me. The screen proportion was odd to make it feel like a book. So I got a kindle. Ideally I would love to have a kindle size device but the screen cover the whole front, including the now keyboard area, sized like the Nook color.

The height to width ratio is seemingly important to my reading habits, and the Nook touch did not feel right. Another thing I did not like with the nook were the side buttons under the rubbery parts. Did not feel as tactile as the Kindle ones for some odd reason.

If Amazon puts out a same size device but with a screen covering the whole front, I may be tempted to jump up.

Sleepy

In each device, the Nook and the Kindle, there is something that I don't like. Admittedly, they are minor gripes, but I am hoping the Kindle Touch gets everything right. I am jumping in either way...I just want to know all the information about Amazon's new devices before I do.

AndyD- I don't have any of those concerns with the Nook Touch. The only things I don't like are the non-searchable dictionary and the 250MB sideload limit. I have no interest in being tied to B&N.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Help Me! said:
AndyD- I don't have any of those concerns with the Nook Touch. The only things I don't like are the non-searchable dictionary and the 250MB sideload limit. I have no interest in being tied to B&N.

Good. I didnt know I would have those issues, until I tried it for a few days of reading.

Salaadin

Help Me! said:
In each device, the Nook and the Kindle, there is something that I don't like. Admittedly, they are minor gripes, but I am hoping the Kindle Touch gets everything right. I am jumping in either way...I just want to know all the information about Amazon's new devices before I do.

Exactly how I feel. I will own an e-reader before the end of the year but there are too many rumors about Kindle Touch right now and thats what is making me hold out. I hope we get details soon.

AndyD said:
I tried the touch nook and it was weird to me. The screen proportion was odd to make it feel like a book. So I got a kindle. Ideally I would love to have a kindle size device but the screen cover the whole front, including the now keyboard area, sized like the Nook color.

The height to width ratio is seemingly important to my reading habits, and the Nook touch did not feel right. Another thing I did not like with the nook were the side buttons under the rubbery parts. Did not feel as tactile as the Kindle ones for some odd reason.

If Amazon puts out a same size device but with a screen covering the whole front, I may be tempted to jump up.
Isn't it the same screen size?

Blackhead

Redarse
AndyD said:

it's the same screen, from the same company, on the kindle 3, nook touch and kobo touch.

and if amazon extends the screen to cover the keyboard area, wouldn't that make it have a different 'weird' ratio?

Futureman said:
Actually there's a 7 day return policy (what have I done...) in addition to the "I accidentally 1-click'd" window:
Amazon said:
Any content you purchase for Kindle from the Kindle Store is eligible for return and refund if we receive your request within 7 days of the date of purchase. Once a refund is issued, you will no longer have access to the item. To request a refund and return, click the Customer Service button in the Contact Us box in the right-hand column of this page to reach us via phone or e-mail. Please make sure to include the title of the item you wish to return in your request.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200144510

AndyD

aka andydumi
Greyface said:
it's the same screen, from the same company, on the kindle 3, nook touch and kobo touch.

and if amazon extends the screen to cover the keyboard area, wouldn't that make it have a different 'weird' ratio?

I know its the same screen, same size. I guess i misspoke in my post. The reading area is fine, its the device size and ratio that seemed weird to me with the nook, or terms of holding it.

The Kindle device ratio is OK, because of the keyboard beard, even though you dont get extra screen, you get extra device area to hold onto. Which is why I said I would like a screen that covers the whole size of the kindle.

I definitely like the balance of my Kindle 2. I even like reading it in landscape mode. There would definitely be an adjustment period switching to a new device, but probably not too long.

And here's a tip that I find useful when reading a long book or series. If you come across a word or phrase or name that you know read before but can't place it, just highlight it and press the space bar. It'll copy the word or words into the search bar and just click find to search the book or choose to search your items or even Google and Wikipedia. It's become an improvised footnote feature as I read through A Song of Ice and Fire.

Top Bottom