• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Sleepy

Fjordson said:
Yeah, that's a great feature. My vocabulary has definitely expanded a bit since I got my Kindle last year.

I love the full definitions, as well. Instead of one or two lines on the Nook's M-W, the Oxford throws multiple definitions-- even archaic-- and usage at you. Sometimes a few pages for one word. I fucking love it. Searchable Oxford dictionaries on the Kindle are the reason I will buy one, as I love reading the dictionary. Unless Amazon nerfs, gimps, or fucks up the new models. Then I'll just buy the 3. Yes, I am a nerd.

Therion

jvm said:
Amazon just sent me an email about Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine having a free, bi-monthly digest version on the Kindle. Haven't had time to try it yet, but figured it was worth a mention.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZFZCKY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Awesome! I've been waiting for this magazine to get a kindle edition, and just checked a few days ago to see if they had it yet. Buying it now (the full edition).

Edit: Although it's weird to have "six full issues per year for just $12/year ($0.99/month)." Am I paying every month for something I only get every other month? The price is fine, but it seems like a stupid way of doing the billing.

kaskade

I finally saw the new nook in stores today. I must say, it was really nice. I definitely hope amazon makes one similar. I'd actually like the kindle now, just take away the keyboard and add a few more inches of screen real estate. That way I don't have to buy another leather case.

jvm

Gamasutra.
kaskade said:
I finally saw the new nook in stores today. I must say, it was really nice. I definitely hope amazon makes one similar. I'd actually like the kindle now, just take away the keyboard and add a few more inches of screen real estate. That way I don't have to buy another leather case.
Yep, new Nook is quite nice. Looking forward to seeing Amazon's response. They're no Apple, mind you, but I do think they made a fine piece of kit with the Kindle (v3, only one I have experience with).

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I got one of these leather cases from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AVXT58/?tag=neogaf0e-20

qfWiXl.jpg

I have an extra one that is sealed and new and I would like to sell if anyone is interested. Its a good case, I like the way it works and it lets you stand the Kindle on the table to read. It has a gray interior rather than the brown, but the exterior is just like pictured. I added a few pictures on Amazon showing the gray inside/brown outside.

$20 shipped to someone?

Malajax

AndyD said:
So I got one of these leather cases from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AVXT58/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have an extra one that is sealed and new and I would like to sell if anyone is interested. Its a good case, I like the way it works and it lets you stand the Kindle on the table to read. It has a gray interior rather than the brown, but the exterior is just like pictured. I added a few pictures on Amazon showing the gray inside/brown outside.

$20 shipped to someone?

If only I read this yesterday! I just bought a case yesterday! Ugh

I powered through the rest of the first Hunger Games book. That book was amazing. Feels so good to get back into reading. Thanks Kindle!

So pretty much the consensus at this point is to wait for the next generation of Kindles in October. I'm definitely going to have a Kindle by the end of this year.

A friend of mine said that he doesn't recommend the Kindle for technical books, as the ability to go back and forth is cumbersome. Any of you out there have any opinions on this?

salva said:
I'm loving the special offers from the kindle.

Me too. Saving $157 on a digital camera last week more than paid for the Kindle. :)

Lasthope106 said:
So pretty much the consensus at this point is to wait for the next generation of Kindles in October. I'm definitely going to have a Kindle by the end of this year.

A friend of mine said that he doesn't recommend the Kindle for technical books, as the ability to go back and forth is cumbersome. Any of you out there have any opinions on this?

It's really designed for non-technical reading.

Sleepy

Lasthope106 said:

If you need the book for research purposes, don't buy it on Kindle. This depends on your subject, of course. I also don't think textbooks on Kindle are a good idea. YMMV, though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Help Me! said:
If you need the book for research purposes, don't buy it on Kindle. This depends on your subject, of course. I also don't think textbooks on Kindle are a good idea. YMMV, though.
This is a correct answer. I'm in academia and I love my Kindle, but I never intend to buy a book for my field on the Kindle. You need to flip back and forth between pages and sections far too often for the linear format of the Kindle to be useful. (I know the Kindle doesn't have to be linear, but it's structured that way.)

Sleepy

jvm said:
This is a correct answer. I'm in academia and I love my Kindle, but I never intend to buy a book for my field on the Kindle. You need to flip back and forth between pages and sections far too often for the linear format of the Kindle to be useful. (I know the Kindle doesn't have to be linear, but it's structured that way.)

Same here. If I know I am going to write an article/conference paper on a novel, I'm buying a physical copy. I'm also buying, or requesting a desk copy of, any theoretical/critical text. I couldn't possible imagine reading dense literary theory/philosophy on a Kindle (Derrida/Lacan/Zizek on an e-reader would be a level of horror I couldn't possibly imagine). If I am just trying to expand my genre knowledge, I will probably buy those books on the Kindle. (When I eventually get one. Let's go October!)

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Anyone use gmail on the kindle 3g? any thoughts? thinking of getting my dad one who is computer illiterate, but loves books (plus i don't want to pay a monthly fee so he can have email....)

Mobile email sites tend to work well enough on Kindle. Typing out emails might be something of a chore. The Kindle 3 does not have a number row. You have to use alt and the top letter row.

Lombaszko

Just pulled the trigger on buying a Kindle! $139 version. We just moved to a new place and the boxes
trash bags
of books were heavy enough to convince me to go digital. Thanks to everyone in this thread, it's been very informative.
As far as cases go. I have THIS extra neoprene case for an iPad so I'll try and throw it in there but I imagine something like the official Amazon harder leather case is better for screen protection. I also like how the side clips in so no part of the Kindle is taken up with elastic bindings.
Does anyone here have a neoprene case and worry about crushing the screen?

dLMN8R

I find that gmail and the Google Reader web site work well on my Kindle 3G. Just learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Particularly on the Google Reader site, I use:

F - make the reading list full-screen
J - next item
K - previous item
S - star item (to read later, since the Kindle doesn't support opening links in new windows, and Google Reader always tries to do that)

Then use the next page/prev page buttons on the side of the device to scroll further.

salva said:
An offer of 20% off any laptop went up with the kindle special offers. It also works on Macbooks. God damn!
Damn, there are some fine deals on those laptops. I usually sell my codes on eBay, but in this case, I worry about dealing with shady buyers. The coupon can save hundreds of dollars. Hmmm, I don't know what to do...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Easystride said:
Damn, there are some fine deals on those laptops. I usually sell my codes on eBay, but in this case, I worry about dealing with shady buyers. The coupon can save hundreds of dollars. Hmmm, I don't know what to do...

Can the codes be transferred? I didnt know that otherwise I would have given away some of mine I did not use.

AndyD said:
Can the codes be transferred? I didnt know that otherwise I would have given away some of mine I did not use.
Yea. I sold the 25% off cameras on ebay for $30, so anyone can use them. The codes aren't linked to the special offer kindle user's account. Don't know what I'll do with the laptop code yet since I don't need it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone on GAF have a spare code they won't use? Would appreciate it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
bangai-o said:
ill look on mine right quick, how do i see it?
I think it appears on the lock screen. I don't have one but I think that's where it appears. I wish I had gotten a Special Offers Kindle but they weren't out when I bought mine.

Also, if you PM me the code, your generosity has a $5 Amazon GC on the way. Least I could do!

bangai-o

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I think it appears on the lock screen. I don't have one but I think that's where it appears. I wish I had gotten a Special Offers Kindle but they weren't out when I bought mine.

Also, if you PM me the code, your generosity has a $5 Amazon GC on the way. Least I could do!
sent pm

outunderthestars said:
Do you need one? I just used mine, but I will email my mom and have her forward her code to me if you'd like.
Would you please! What did you buy? I want the new macbook air but i also want to replace my xbox so a regular laptop might do :). Kindle gaf are good people.

Technosteve said:
Would you please! What did you buy? I want the new macbook air but i also want to replace my xbox so a regular laptop might do :). Kindle gaf are good people.

I bought the HP Envy. Looked like a decent deal on a pretty good laptop for school. I also needed an xbox so it was like getting $400 off. :)

I will send you a PM either way as soon as I hear from her.

elrechazao said:
Ugh, all these deals make me want to sell my kindle for a kindle with ads. Who'd have ever thought.

I LOVE the deals I receive through mine. Last week I saved $157 on a digital camera, now close to $200 on a laptop!

Anybody else want a 20% off laptop code? No way I'm using this code and figure somebody who really needs it could get better use of it. First one to reply to my post gets it.

outunderthestars said:
I bought the HP Envy. Looked like a decent deal on a pretty good laptop for school. I also needed an xbox so it was like getting $400 off. :)

I will send you a PM either way as soon as I hear from her.

I LOVE the deals I receive through mine. Last week I saved $157 on a digital camera, now close to $200 on a laptop!
Ahhhh the envy, will look at laptops and weep. Get a mac or get a envy plus xbox :O. Thanks alot sir irregardless of coupon.

bangai-o

Banned
elrechazao said:
Ugh, all these deals make me want to sell my kindle for a kindle with ads. Who'd have ever thought.
how do you sell Kindles anyway? I figure when the new model comes out i might want it. So, which cache' file do i delete my account info?

Lionheart1827 said:
Anybody else want a 20% off laptop code? No way I'm using this code and figure somebody who really needs it could get better use of it. First one to reply to my post gets it.
I think Lawblob is interested

brentech

I actually didn't think the sale would work on the non-kindle account.
Terms and Conditions:
Promotional code must be requested on Kindle with Special Offers device by 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Time), August 8, 2011.
This offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Time), September 8, 2011. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
You must have a Kindle with Special Offers device registered to the same account as the qualifying purchase.
If any of the merchandise related to this promotion is returned, the promotional code value will be subtracted from your return credit.
Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com and not by any other merchant.
Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
If you violate any of the Terms & Conditions, the promotion will be invalid.
Offer good while supplies last.
Void where prohibited.
Offer must be used for a single order.
Mostly because the first highlight in making it sound like it's literally not possible. While the second highlight would just be the rule.

Lionheart1827 said:

Here. I used mine on a Macbook Air and i have a friend who wants a code. Could you please send it? thanks!

edit: thanks! Much appreciated!

Bboy AJ

I want to buy another MBA now. This deal is smoking! With bangai-o's code, the MBA was so cheap. I could probably use it for a year and sell the laptop for no loss.

Bboy AJ

Technosteve said:
what size you get!
I bought a 13" one for my girlfriend last week. It wasn't in stock at Amazon so it was yet to be shipped. With bangai-o's code, I was able to cancel the order and reorder it for 20% off.

I personally still have no MBA. But I will grab an 11" one if someone else would be so kind. Got one from a friend of a friend. Awesome!

elrechazao said:
Same here :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Easystride said:
Yea. I sold the 25% off cameras on ebay for $30, so anyone can use them. The codes aren't linked to the special offer kindle user's account. Don't know what I'll do with the laptop code yet since I don't need it.

Cool. Anyone want the laptop one? I will take anything in return, or even nothing if you are not a junior or lurker.

Top Bottom