• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kaskade

Is the 79 dollar kindle the touch screen one. I'm trying to fall of the news in my car this is very dangerous but totally worth it.

Manics

Banned
No mention of any firmware updates for existing Kindle owners. That x-ray thing sounds pretty cool if they roll it out to older models.

BuddyC

What's the X-Ray thing?

Absolutely floored that the Kindle Touch has a battery life of up to two months. That's just ridiculous.

EDIT: Ah. Interesting.
X-Ray
Amazon invented X-Ray, a new feature that lets customers explore the “bones of the book.” With a single tap, readers can see all the passages across a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them, as well as more detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon’s community-powered encyclopedia for book lovers.

Amazon built X-Ray using its expertise in language processing and machine learning, access to significant storage and computing resources with Amazon S3 and EC2, and a deep library of book and character information. The vision is to have every important phrase in every book.

Manics

Banned
BuddyC said:
What's the X-Ray thing?

Absolutely floored that the Kindle Touch has a battery life of up to two months. That's just ridiculous.

New “X-Ray” Feature

Amazon invented X-Ray, a new feature that lets customers explore the “bones of the book.” With a single tap, readers can see all the passages across a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them, as well as more detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon’s community-powered encyclopedia for book lovers. Amazon built X-Ray using its expertise in language processing and machine learning, access to significant storage and computing resources with Amazon S3 and EC2, and a deep library of book and character information. The vision is to have every important phrase in every book.

BuddyC said:
What's the X-Ray thing?

You know the battery life is there because they had to match the Nook right?

Schlep

Not really feeling either of the new ones. Kindle without the keyboard seems like a pain in the ass, and the Touch doesn't have hardware buttons which would get annoying very quickly.

I guess out of the two of them, the Kindle is the lesser of two evils. Will hold onto my 3rd gen as long as it will last.

Manics

Banned
Schlep said:
Not really feeling either of the new ones. Kindle without the keyboard seems like a pain in the ass, and the Touch doesn't have hardware buttons which would get annoying very quickly.

I guess out of the two of them, the Kindle is the lesser of two evils. Will hold onto my 3rd gen as long as it will last.

Yeah I like seeing the new ones, but you're right the touch would have been so much better with the addition of page turn buttons on the side. If I was to buy a Kindle today I would go with the low end model with the buttons, I barely use the keyboard on my Kindle 3 right now so I wouldn't miss it. Navigating with the 5-way controller across a virtual onscreen keyboard would be a pain, but like I said I don't use the keyboard alot as it is. I guess if that's important to you then the touch version makes more sense.

Malajax

Manics said:
New “X-Ray” Feature

Amazon invented X-Ray, a new feature that lets customers explore the “bones of the book.” With a single tap, readers can see all the passages across a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them, as well as more detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon’s community-powered encyclopedia for book lovers. Amazon built X-Ray using its expertise in language processing and machine learning, access to significant storage and computing resources with Amazon S3 and EC2, and a deep library of book and character information. The vision is to have every important phrase in every book.

Is this a feature just for new Kindles or is it possible to be coming in a firmware upgrade?

Manics

Banned
Malajax said:
Is this a feature just for new Kindles or is it possible to be coming in a firmware upgrade?

Seems to only be listed in the "Touch" new Kindle. I would THINK it's just a software update but maybe they won't give it to the older/lower model Kindles to have some sort of product differentiation. Someone will most likely hack it so it works on all Kindles if Amazon doesn't roll it out.

WowBaby

I pre-ordered KF as well as the touch 3G since I have time to make up my mind. I will miss the keyboard and the page turn buttons though.

BuddyC said:
I had no idea the Nook had that sort of battery life.

Sigh, it saddens me to see people get excited over something that has existed for awhile and how unaware people are about the amazing Nook Touch. Amazon was scrambling after that announcement and tried to make their existing Kindles sound like they have the same battery life. They changed the spec page shortly after the Nook Touch was announced to say something like "Up to 2 months" on battery life.

Manics

Banned
So :

Kindle DX - $379
Kindle Keyboard with Ads - $99
Kindle Keyboard with no Ads - $139
Kindle Keyboard 3G with Ads - $139
Kindle Keyboard 3G with no Ads - $189
Kindle with Ads - $79
Kindle with no Ads - $109
Kindle Touch with Ads -$99
Kindle Touch with no Ads -$139
Kindle Touch 3G with ads -$149
Kindle Touch 3G with no ads -$189
Kindle Fire - $199

This is going to confuse alot of people LOL

Edit: that about does it.

GG-Duo

I think only Kindle Touch has 3G now.

I wonder if I can get any of the existing models of Kindle... with keyboard and 3g for cheap

It's amazing how big Kindle is already, but that $79 model is going to move crazy amounts of units.

I'm glad to see they renamed the Kindle 3 to Kindle Keyboard. That indicates they'll keep it around at least a little longer. But I doubt it'll get the X-ray feature. The Kindle 1 and 2 didn't even get something as simple as real page numbers.

I have a Kindle 2 and I'm unsure what I'd like to upgrade to. The lack of physical page turn buttons on the Touch is something of a turnoff, but no keyboard on the Kindle doesn't make that an easy choice. I also really like having 3G. I could just go with the Keyboard, but I like new shiny things.

BuddyC

Marty Chinn said:
Sigh, it saddens me to see people get excited over something that has existed for awhile and how unaware people are about the amazing Nook Touch. Amazon was scrambling after that announcement and tried to make their existing Kindles sound like they have the same battery life. They changed the spec page shortly after the Nook Touch was announced to say something like "Up to 2 months" on battery life.
For me, at least, part of the ignorance is due to how satisfied I was with my existing Kindle (I didn't feel the need to scope out other e-readers) and also how entrenched / much I've invested in a Kindle library that can be easily shared and accessed across multiple devices. (iPhone, iPad, Kindle Cloud, etc.) Again, I don't know if the Nook offers something like that.

I also have a feeling that that sort of investment / entrenchment in the Amazon library is going to be a major selling / sticking point for the Kindle Fire, especially once you factor in videos and music as well.

Manics

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
It's amazing how big Kindle is already, but that $79 model is going to move crazy amounts of units.

I'm glad to see they renamed the Kindle 3 to Kindle Keyboard. That indicates they'll keep it around at least a little longer. But I doubt it'll get the X-ray feature. The Kindle 1 and 2 didn't even get something as simple as real page numbers.

Yeah, but then I heard that people were able to hack the firmware updates to allow older model kindles to get the same functionality. It's a shame that Amazon wouldn't just add the same functionality across the board.

BuddyC said:
For me, at least, part of the ignorance is due to how satisfied I was with my existing Kindle (I didn't feel the need to scope out other e-readers) and also how entrenched / much I've invested in a Kindle library that can be easily shared and accessed across multiple devices. (iPhone, iPad, Kindle Cloud, etc.) Again, I don't know if the Nook offers something like that.

I also have a feeling that that sort of investment / entrenchment in the Amazon library is going to be a major selling / sticking point for the Kindle Fire, especially once you factor in videos and music as well.

Nook is the same pretty much. I have all my nook books on my iPad.

BuddyC said:

Nook does offer something like that where your library is shared across multiple devices. I'm a huge Amazon fan, especially cuz of Prime, and a Kindle was the first eReader I ever used, but I've always felt that the Nook was doing things a bit better than Amazon and Amazon keeps playing catch up to B&N. The Nook Touch is amazing, and where it stands out to me as being better still is the fact that it still has a few buttons to use (power, home, page turn buttons) and it supports the open format ePub and for awhile supported library check out while the Kindle did not. On top of that, anything I wanted on Amazon, I could just convert to the Nook anyway. There is very little exclusive content on the Kindle to make it outweigh all the additional support I get out of the box from other services. Thus, anything that is only on the Kindle, I'll convert and everything else will work natively. The Kindle does have the advantage of Audio Books though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Amazon and the Kindle will always be a great product, especially at these new amazing price points, but it saddens me to see people not be aware that there is a slightly better product out there.

Marty Chinn said:

Is it really sad? People who want Kindle's tend to like Amazon, how they operate, and the whole system surrounding the Kindle. It's doesn't matter what B&N offer tech wise a lot people just prefer Amazon. And vice versa for that matter. If they see a product the other company offers there's a good chance those advancements will come to the other side in time. Most people have patience enough to wait.

BuddyC said:
It's the same claim they make for the previous model, but it's a bit of a stretch. I don't last a week, but they're assuming someone who's never using wireless and reading a half hour or less a day.
Marty Chinn said:
Amazon was scrambling after that announcement and tried to make their existing Kindles sound like they have the same battery life. They changed the spec page shortly after the Nook Touch was announced to say something like "Up to 2 months" on battery life.
They used to say the battery would last up to a month if reading an hour a day yeah.
HellKarnassus said:
No love for DX? Not even a price drop? firmware update? something?
I think they just want it to sit and rot until they've got a 10" Fire to sell in its place.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They used to say the battery would last up to a month if reading an hour a day yeah.

I've always found the battery claims by both Amazon and B&N a bit funny since unless you use the thing all the damn time (and I mean hours a day) you really have to work to not charge it so that it gets to 0. I think you have to expand more effort to get it to 0 than to not (even randomly) charge it.

Marty Chinn said:
Nook does offer something like that where your library is shared across multiple devices. I'm a huge Amazon fan, especially cuz of Prime, and a Kindle was the first eReader I ever used, but I've always felt that the Nook was doing things a bit better than Amazon and Amazon keeps playing catch up to B&N. The Nook Touch is amazing, and where it stands out to me as being better still is the fact that it still has a few buttons to use (power, home, page turn buttons) and it supports the open format ePub and for awhile supported library check out while the Kindle did not. On top of that, anything I wanted on Amazon, I could just convert to the Nook anyway. There is very little exclusive content on the Kindle to make it outweigh all the additional support I get out of the box from other services. Thus, anything that is only on the Kindle, I'll convert and everything else will work natively. The Kindle does have the advantage of Audio Books though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Amazon and the Kindle will always be a great product, especially at these new amazing price points, but it saddens me to see people not be aware that there is a slightly better product out there.

Or you could go bitch somewhere the fuck else instead of constantly going on and on with your amazon bitching. Holy fuck dude.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I've always found the battery claims by both Amazon and B&N a bit funny since unless you use the thing all the damn time (and I mean hours a day) you really have to work to not charge it so that it gets to 0. I think you have to expand more effort to get it to 0 than to not (even randomly) charge it.

I know I've said this before but mine is constantly dying on me. It lasts so long even though I read hours a day that I think to charge it and go nah, it'll be good except I do that for a week or two and it's stone dead while I'm out reading somewhere.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You constantly come in the official kindle thread and bitch about how much worse the kindle is and nook is the greatest thing ever and amazon never innovates only B&N does. No one gives a shit.

I'm not bitching about Amazon at all. I love them and always praise their service highly. I'm not saying the Kindle is terrible either. I've always said the Kindle is a great product. I even highly recommended a Kindle 3 before the Nook Touch came out. Where did I say Amazon never innovates? X-Ray is a nice example of something they're doing that's new. You're characterizing me as something that I'm not.

Despite my love for Amazon, let's face it, as of the last two years, B&N has been pushing the tech ahead of Amazon and no matter how great of a job they do, they rarely get any credit for it which saddens me. Especially in cases where people seem to act like Amazon somehow created this crazy battery life that nobody else has yet.

It's never been bitching about how the Kindle is "worse" because like I said the Kindle has always been a fantastic product and I owned one before. It's more about people not knowing the strengths of the competition or the fact that there is competition. I always said the Nook Touch was the best thing out at the time and that would likely change when the Kindle Touch came out. Now it has.

That said, with these new versions, I'm consider getting a Kindle for my parents thanks to these price points. I may even consider one for my wife since she wants a new eReader and is jealous of my Nook Touch (she has the original Nook). With a Kindle, then we'd have both worlds and can trade off.

Marty Chinn said:
I'm not bitching about Amazon at all. I love them and always praise their service highly. I'm not saying the Kindle is terrible either. I've always said the Kindle is a great product. I even highly recommended a Kindle 3 before the Nook Touch came out. Where did I say Amazon never innovates? X-Ray is a nice example of something they're doing that's new. You're characterizing me as something that I'm not.

Despite my love for Amazon, let's face it, as of the last two years, B&N has been pushing the tech ahead of Amazon and no matter how great of a job they do, they rarely get any credit for it which saddens me. Especially in cases where people seem to act like Amazon somehow created this crazy battery life that nobody else has yet.

It's never been bitching about how the Kindle is "worse" because like I said the Kindle has always been a fantastic product and I owned one before. It's more about people not knowing the strengths of the competition or the fact that there is competition. I always said the Nook Touch was the best thing out at the time and that would likely change when the Kindle Touch came out. Now it has.

That said, with these new versions, I'm consider getting a Kindle for my parents thanks to these price points. I may even consider one for my wife since she wants a new eReader and is jealous of my Nook Touch (she has the original Nook). With a Kindle, then we'd have both worlds and can trade off.

How long did it take B&N to get pearl screens? There's plenty of things they haven't been leaders on since they still don't have audio books or xray. How long did it take B&N to finally put out a pearl eink screen? There are plenty of things they have each done ahead of the other. And no it's not about people "not knowing" strengths of the competitor and you go on a 2 paragraph rant about B&N are the true innovators and amazon has been doing nothing. Again, this is the official kindle thread, no one gives a shit about a 2 paragraph rant that boils down to Nook>Kindle. This isn't the first time you've pulled this shit. I'm not responding after this, this shouldn't even be in this thread.

Manics

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

My brother in law has the Nook Touch, the touch-screen isn't very responsive I've found. I don't really like it. I don't know how the Kindle Touch will be, but I prefer my kindle keyboard over the Nook touch right now.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How long did it take B&N to get pearl screens? There's plenty of things they haven't been leaders on since they still don't have audio books or xray. How long did it take B&N to finally put out a pearl eink screen? There are plenty of things they have each done ahead of the other. And no it's not about people "not knowing" strengths of the competitor and you go on a 2 paragraph rant about B&N are the true innovators and amazon has been doing nothing. Again, this is the official kindle thread, no one gives a shit about a 2 paragraph rant that boils down to Nook>Kindle. This isn't the first time you've pulled this shit.

Look, if you want to talk about innovation, I'd say the Nook Color and the touch screen were by far more bigger game changers than simply adding a better quality Pearl screen. B&N beat Amazon to the punch on both of them. Amazon however has always been a big push on lowering the price.

Yes it is about people "not knowing" because that's what started my response to begin with. Read back a few posts and you'll see that. Just because it's an official thread doesn't mean the competition should be ignored either. Kindle Touch was just announced so I think it's more than fair to be discussing how it stacks up against the competition. Why are you afraid of comparisons? Not once did I say Amazon didn't innovate, nor did I say the Kindle sucked or was a bad product. I was being civil about all this and being fair until you came in with the attacks.

Marty Chinn said:
Look, if you want to talk about innovation, I'd say the Nook Color and the touch screen were by far more bigger game changers than simply adding a better quality Pearl screen. B&N beat Amazon to the punch on both of them. Amazon however has always been a big push on lowering the price.

Yes it is about people "not knowing" because that's what started my response to begin with. Read back a few posts and you'll see that. Just because it's an official thread doesn't mean the competition should be ignored either. Kindle Touch was just announced so I think it's more than fair to be discussing how it stacks up against the competition. Why are you afraid of comparisons? Not once did I say Amazon didn't innovate, nor did I say the Kindle sucked or was a bad product. I was being civil about all this and being fair until you came in with the attacks.

Civil trolling... Umm, ok. And I don't think nook color beat amazon to the punch since they clearly had 0 interest in it until other tablets took off. It's not hard to beat someone who isn't even competing in a category. :lol And it wasn't a comparison it went on about how B&N innovate more and make superior products to amazon. How is that comparing and weighing the pros and cons of each product? You're a B&N shill and have been since the thread began and it's beyond old. That's it.

Manics said:
My brother in law has the Nook Touch, the touch-screen isn't very responsive I've found. I don't really like it. I don't know how the Kindle Touch will be, but I prefer my kindle keyboard over the Nook touch right now.
It's the same tech. Hardware wise, there is very little difference between the Nook Touch and Kindle Touch I would imagine. The screen may be a newer iteration though. So if you didn't like the touch screen on the Nook Touch, there's probably a good chance you won't like it on the Kindle Touch. I'm surprised you found it not very responsive. Did you find it laggy or just wouldn't always reconigze your input? I find that I barely have to touch the screen and it registers the input which is great since I don't have to get fingerprints all over the screen.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Civil trolling... Umm, ok. And I don't think nook color beat amazon to the punch since they clearly had 0 interest in it until other tablets took off. It's not hard to beat someone who isn't even competing in a category. :lol And it wasn't a comparison it went on about how B&N innovate more and make superior products to amazon. How is that comparing and weighing the pros and cons of each product? You're a B&N shill and have been since the thread began and it's beyond old. That's it.

So one can't like both products but see the merrit of one over the other without being a troll? That's complete stupidity. Come on, are we now trying to put down the Nook Color? Are we trying to say the Kindle Fire is nothing like the Nook Color? The Nook Color has been a pretty big success for B&N and yes they beat Amazon to the punch. That doesn't mean the Kindle Fire isn't better than the Nook Color, but really? We're trying to act like they aren't comparable devices and that B&N had a year step over them?

btkadams

do you do a lot of typing on kindle to warrant buying the keyboard/touch version over the low-end one? i thought you just choose books and read. i guess you would type on the kindle store on the kindle when searching for a book, but i'd be buying all of them on my computer.

btkadams said:
do you do a lot of typing on kindle to warrant buying the keyboard/touch version over the low-end one? i thought you just choose books and read. i guess you would type on the kindle store on the kindle when searching for a book, but i'd be buying all of them on my computer.

Depends on what you do I guess. If you're using it for school or something and make a lot of annotations I can see it coming in handy but I read for pleasure on my kindle so I only use the keyboard for the experimental browser which is sucky but good enough for what I need it for and awesome for 3G. I've bought a bunch of books from my kindle but I can't see an onscreen keyboard being cumbersome for that since how much do you really need to type that it won't be in the first page of results? Searching the store without a keyboard wouldn't bother me at all.

Just preordered the German 99€ Kindle

KT-slate-02-lg._V151900766_.jpg

Manics

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
It's the same tech. Hardware wise, there is very little difference between the Nook Touch and Kindle Touch I would imagine. The screen may be a newer iteration though. So if you didn't like the touch screen on the Nook Touch, there's probably a good chance you won't like it on the Kindle Touch. I'm surprised you found it not very responsive. Did you find it laggy or just wouldn't always reconigze your input? I find that I barely have to touch the screen and it registers the input which is great since I don't have to get fingerprints all over the screen.

I found it wouldn't always recognize the touch and was a tad slow. There was a firmware update from Nook that said addressed the touch-screen responsiveness but I haven't tried it since I told my brother in law to upgrade his firmware.

Hardware might be the same, but the OS might make the experience on one or the other better. For what it's worth I don't really like touch-screen on an eReader for the smudge factor like you mentioned.

Pachimari

I don't know which Kindle to get. =/
I don't want another tablet so the Fire is out the window. The new Kindle is gimped in comparison to the Kindle Keyboard 3G right? So that goes out the window as well. And I don't want the touch one, so it's out as well (and all the new ones are white huhu). Maybe I'll just go for the Kindle Keyboard 3G afterall.

Manics said:
I found it wouldn't always recognize the touch and was a tad slow. There was a firmware update from Nook that said addressed the touch-screen responsiveness but I haven't tried it since I told my brother in law to upgrade his firmware.

Hardware might be the same, but the OS might make the experience on one or the other better. For what it's worth I don't really like touch-screen on an eReader for the smudge factor like you mentioned.

Ya, I really want to see what they did with the OS to make it touch friendly. Can't wait to play with one in a Best Buy or something like that. I agree that the OS might be all the difference here. Personally I was a bit afraid of the smudge factor too but the light responsiveness negates that aspect for me so it's almost a non-issue.

Anastacio said:
I don't know which Kindle to get. =/
I don't want another tablet so the Fire is out the window. The new Kindle is gimped in comparison to the Kindle Keyboard 3G right? So that goes out the window as well. And I don't want the touch one, so it's out as well (and all the new ones are white huhu). Maybe I'll just go for the Kindle Keyboard 3G afterall.

How are they gimped in comparison to the keyboard model? Would you use the keyboard that much?

btkadams

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Depends on what you do I guess. If you're using it for school or something and make a lot of annotations I can see it coming in handy but I read for pleasure on my kindle so I only use the keyboard for the experimental browser which is sucky but good enough for what I need it for and awesome for 3G. I've bought a bunch of books from my kindle but I can't see an onscreen keyboard being cumbersome for that since how much do you really need to type that it won't be in the first page of results? Searching the store without a keyboard wouldn't bother me at all.
thanks for the advice! i'm going to be getting the keyboardless one then. i won't be using it for browsing much at all.

btkadams said:
thanks for the advice! i'm going to be getting the keyboardless one then. i won't be using it for browsing much at all.

Ya, and for the most part the browser is only worthwhile on 3G IMO since most people would have some other device with wifi to go online. I honestly just use the browser to check hockey scores, lol. Well that and my email when I didn't have internet access in Germany.

Manics

Banned
Any details on the processors in the new Kindles? Are they using the same chip as the current Kindle (now rebranded as Kindle Keyboard)?

Manics said:
Any details on the processors in the new Kindles? Are they using the same chip as the current Kindle (now rebranded as Kindle Keyboard)?

I found this on apple insider:

"Amazon is expected to build 12 million new e-ink Kindles this year -- 8 million of the low-end $79 model, with another 4 million Kindle Touches. The high-end touch model, code-named "Whitney," features a Freescale i.MX515 processor and 256MB of RAM with its 6-inch display. The touchsreen model is arriving later because of a "more complicated design and assembly," analyst Ming-Chi Kuo revealed.

The new $79 model is said to feature the same processor as the touch model, but has an integrated controller that will provide "better system design and lower cost" when compared to previous Kindle hardware, Kuo said."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...99_kindle_touch_stick_with_e_ink_display.html

I don't remember what the keyboard one had though.

Edit: Wiki says Kindle 3 used: "The Kindle 3 utilizes a Freescale i. MX353 applications processor". So it's new but no clue how much of a difference it makes.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
How are you supposed to make notes without it on the regular Kindle? I really prefer my Kindle 3 (or "Kindle Keyboard" now) to this new one. It doesn't even seem to have any tech. improvements...

I have to look into the Kindle Fire though.

Fjordson

Man, the new models look nice. Would love to get the touch one. I think I'll have to stick to Kindle 3 for a while I guess. It's still in basically perfect condition. Really tempted to pre-order a touch model, though :lol

Top Bottom