• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tokkun said:
Do you turn back pages often? In engineering this is what we call optimizing for the common case.

on my kindle 3, more often than I'd expected. Partly because I rest my thumb on the 'next page' button and sometimes press it prematurely, sometimes because I pause at the start of a page, then come back to it and want to recap.

Manics

Banned
jayb said:
I can understand wanting buttons if you're worried about getting fingerprints on the screen, but other than that, it's just as easy to touch the screen as it is the buttons to turn a page... especially with such a large tapping zone for the next page.

258qr6s.jpg
I keep my finger on the button to turn pages. I wouldn't be able to do that with the touch cause my thumb would be covering text.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kaskade said:
I'm deciding between the Kindle and the touch. It seems like buying the kindle would just be like upgrading to upgrade from my 3, I do like how small it is though. Wish I didn't have to buy another lighted case.

don't need audiobooks/mp3?

Manics

Banned
Fuck I just ordered the non touch. LOL. So much for me not having a reason to upgrade. I was mesmerized by something shiny and new.

Notrollious said:
Anyone with a prior version of the Kindle have the lighted case? Is it worth the extra $20 extra for an integrated book light?

Yes, it's 100% worth it to get the case with the light. It doesn't really eat at the battery that much (much less than having wifi turned on). Also, I tried numerous light options (clips on lights, etc) and none of them held a candle (pun intended) to the kindle case with the light on it.

I was hoping the Kindle Fire would have an SDCard slot and EPub support(pipe dream, I know). I have way too many books that are technical in nature to carry around and I'm not attached to the cloud when in the secured environment. As such, I'm going wait for the competitive offerings from B&N and make my decision then. I am thinking about a Nook touch and a Kindle Fire though.

Husker86

Notrollious said:
Anyone with a prior version of the Kindle have the lighted case? Is it worth the extra $20 extra for an integrated book light?

I have one and I will never buy a Kindle without one. I do hate the price premium but it is so handy that I'll bitch about it in my head while buying right alongside the device itself.

DiscoJer

marathonfool said:
Does Kindle support an open-format now? I don't want to be tied down to a device via proprietary format.

If you mean epub, no. But epub isn't open - its DRM is controlled by Adobe.

Sure, the non-drmed stuff is "open", but the same can be said for the un drmed mobi formats the Kindle supports (though it is a lot harder to work with).

Manics said:
Honestly battery life on the Kindles would be the LAST thing I'd care about. They last so long as it is.

Pretty much. Still amazed at my Kindle 2 battery life. The 1 month Kindle 3 battery life was a crazy thing to hear but ultimately it's not a big point anymore. Smart phones still need to be charged every day so it's impressive that basically all e-ink eReaders can go weeks on a charge.

marathonfool said:
Does Kindle support an open-format now? I don't want to be tied down to a device via proprietary format.

You're out of luck but if you're savvy enough to be on GAF you can figure out how to convert any ebook format to another.

DiscoJer said:
If you mean epub, no. But epub isn't open - its DRM is controlled by Adobe.

Sure, the non-drmed stuff is "open", but the same can be said for the un drmed mobi formats the Kindle supports (though it is a lot harder to work with).
I just don't want to be forced to buy a Kindle to read my digital library in the future. Adobe is licensing their format. I don't think Amazon is doing that any time soon.
VistraNorrez said:
You're out of luck but if you're savvy enough to be on GAF you can figure out how to convert any ebook format to another.
Tell me more. Easy? Time consuming? Loses formatting or features in conversion?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Then get the new Kindle that doesn't use a touch screen.

No 3G :(

I love the form factor of the Kindle (2011), but not having 3G WhisperSync would suck.

Zefah said:
No 3G :(

I love the form factor of the Kindle (2011), but not having 3G WhisperSync would suck.
True. Interesting that that feature is completely gone from the Kindle lineup except for the most expensive e-ink Touch model when it was one of the Kindle's top selling points for years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
True. Interesting that that feature is completely gone from the Kindle lineup except for the most expensive e-ink Touch model when it was one of the Kindle's top selling points for years.

Also, I just realized the Touch model doesn't have the page turning buttons on the side. I generally read one-handed, so that's a huge minus.

I hope next year they can release a model that has the form factor of the new Kindle (2011) including its physical buttons, touch functionality, as well as dramatically improved screen refresh rate/responsiveness, and 3G! I would pay $200 for that in an instant to upgrade from my 3rd generation Kindle.

marathonfool said:
I just don't want to be forced to buy a Kindle to read my digital library in the future. Adobe is licensing their format. I don't think Amazon is doing that any time soon.

Tell me more. Easy? Time consuming? Loses formatting or features in conversion?

Well most devices have a Kindle app. And they now have a cloud reader that works in some web browsers.

But yes converting is pretty fast and easy at this point. Most people use Calibre. And it's been talked off extensively in this thread.

It's definitely good they are keeping the Kindle Keyboard around. And although I would've like a refresh of that, it's mostly pointless considering it uses the same exact screen. I guess depending on how the KK sells it may get refreshed some time or be discontinued. Although who knows, they still have the DX around and at the same high price.

VistraNorrez said:
Well most devices have a Kindle app. And they now have a cloud reader that works in some web browsers.

But yes converting is pretty fast and easy at this point. Most people use Calibre. And it's been talked off extensively in this thread.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would you say my concern about interoperability is a non-issue with Kindle formats?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VistraNorrez said:
It's definitely good they are keeping the Kindle Keyboard around. And although I would've like a refresh of that, it's mostly pointless considering it uses the same exact screen. I guess depending on how the KK sells it may get refreshed some time or be discontinued. Although who knows, they still have the DX around and at the same high price.

It does appear that the screens this year's Kindles have a slightly faster refresh rate (they even advertise it in the store page on Amazon), but as far as I can tell on the videos they still lag pretty heavily.

Manics

Banned
B.K. said:
I may order one of the older Kindles with the keyboard before they're gone. I don't really like touch screens.
Are you in Canada I can sell you mine with the lighted case (in red)

I'm going to go and buy the Kindle touch with ads. The only thing I'm worried is that all the touch devices I've ever owned eventually "wear-out" and take longer to register the touch. However, I do want the MP3 player functionality and the new and improved hardware with faster response time.

Convince me GAF, why would you get the non-touch version?

Fjordson

B.K. said:
I may order one of the older Kindles with the keyboard before they're gone. I don't really like touch screens.
I have to say, you probably won't regret it if you're not interested in touch. The Kindle 3 (er, Kindle keyboard I guess) is a great device. Keyboard works great, the eInk looks fantastic, and I actually like the page turning buttons on the sides. Their location is pretty much perfect considering my thumb is always naturally resting on them.

Kurdel

Banned
I just ordered the non-touch version because I know the touch won't be coming to Canada before 2012. I also prefer to wait a gen, in case the IR touch turns out lame.

The screen refresh rate really sold me on it. The whole "turns black at every single page" thing turned me off of eink initially. Now the letters just seem to rearrange themselves (unless I am mistaken, God I hope not).

Also, at 80$, I can just upgrade down the road and give this one to my father.

Snaku

Banned
Kurdel said:
The screen refresh rate really sold me on it. The whole "turns black at every single page" thing turned me off of eink initially. Now the letters just seem to rearrange themselves (unless I am mistaken, God I hope not).

Nook Touch never existed.

Kurdel

Banned
Snaku said:
Nook Touch never existed.
To be honest, I didn't even consider other brands! I just assumed the Kindle was the de-facto ereader on the market.

I think I am glad I made this purchase... I will update in three weeks when it ships!

Kurdel said:

It flashes black every once and awhile, but the black flash has been blink and you'll miss it since Kindle 2. I don't see it anymore on my K2, anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kurdel said:
To be honest, I didn't even consider other brands! I just assumed the Kindle was the de-facto ereader on the market.

I think I am glad I made this purchase... I will update in three weeks when it ships!
You're in Canada and you've never heard of the Kobo Touch? Show some national pride
order a Playbook

Kurdel

Banned
Greyface said:
You're in Canada and you've never heard of the Kobo Touch? Show some national pride
order a Playbook
I've seen Kobos everywhere, but already have a small Amazon library thanks to their devious iPad app.

Also, employee pricing at my job can get me a 200$ Playbook. That thing is about to go TouchPad, I can feel it.

It looks like we got everything we expected and at some pretty great prices. I've updated the OP, but let me know if there is stuff to be added or changed. Oh, and I refuse to call the Kindle 3 "Kindle keyboard." kindle keyboard? clever.

Husker86 said:
I have one and I will never buy a Kindle without one. I do hate the price premium but it is so handy that I'll bitch about it in my head while buying right alongside the device itself.
Have you seen the new lighted covers? I think that I like them more than the current (old?) model. It appears they've moved the metal contact to the back of the device and designed it so that it clicks down into the case's...nook - where it makes contact. That should do away with the prong problems some people were having.
5NMP4.jpg

That's the shade of brown I wanted my current one to be. :\

E5BQL.jpg

And the new light is centered for better distribution. I never had a problem with mine, but the uneven lighting seemed to annoy some.

Even with all the style improvements it irks me that they are selling a device for 79.00 and the CASE for 59.99. *sigh*

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
HiroProtagonist said:
Even with all the style improvements it irks me that they are selling a device for 79.00 and the CASE for 59.99. *sigh*

I've always thought kindle covers cost too much, but the new price point just highlights how obscene the cover prices are. Jesus. $20 more and you can have two kindles!

Just placed my pre-order for the Kindle Touch with ads. Now the waiting begins. The doubt still haunts me though if I should have gone with the non-touch version. Arggg, GAH!

Verdre said:
I've always thought kindle covers cost too much, but the new price point just highlights how obscene the cover prices are. Jesus. $20 more and you can have two kindles!

Aren't the Kindle's sold at loss?

That would definitely explain the high price for cases.

Esiquio

I love my Kindle 3 (3G) w/lighted cover to death, but damn that new touch Kindle and that new cover look beautiful. Damn you Amazon, turning into Apple with these new products....the whole touch to turn pages things is going to be amazing...I want it. That said, I'll probably hold onto my cash and buy that tablet since I have no tablet right now and I'm definitely interested. I can't wait until that thing is rooted and I dual-boot it with Windows 8.

I guess we could just take it as a compliment that Amazon made something so high quality knowing that eInk owners would appreciate its craftsmanship and buy it. I say that because here are the official 'Kindle Fire' sleeves built for the mouth breathing LCD crowd:

otEBM.jpg
KPVWL.jpg

Zv2VD.jpg
GM0iT.jpg

VhmgL.jpg

I think eInk Kindle owners are being profiled based on our exceptional taste and love for the finer things in life.

Does the Kindle Touch still have the experimental web browser? It's actually quite functional and would come in handy when traveling abroad without Wi-Fi access or a phone.

tokkun

HiroProtagonist said:
I guess we could just take it as a compliment that Amazon made something so high quality knowing that eInk owners would appreciate its craftsmanship and buy it. I say that because here are the official 'Kindle Fire' sleeves built for the mouth breathing LCD crowd:

I think eInk Kindle owners are being profiled based on our exceptional taste and love for the finer things in life.

Those look identical to the e-ink Kindle sleeves.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SD27OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wish they'd make a non-leather version of the lighted covers. :( I'll probably end up getting one of those M-edge covers and light things.

Definitely getting the wifi touch one. The Kindle Fire doesn't really interest me much.

Top Bottom