• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kaskade

Man the more I see of the Kindle the more I like it. The only thing keeping me away from the touch is the physical page turn button.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Any pictures or previews of how you play MP3s on the Touch? I liked the keyboard shortcuts on my 3 but not sure how it works with the touchscreen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aquavelvaman said:
Quick Look of the new keyboardless Kindle. The screen/interface seems a lot faster than I expected. I'm not sure if Kindle3s are that fast but it's loads better than my 2nd gen.

Ugh. It still has that annoying "flash" for page changing. E-INK! *shakes fist*

Looks nice, though. But I'm a fan of having a hardware keyboard on shit because I need it more than most people.

Leeness

Does the 4th gen Kindle have a lighted cover yet?

If I can't get the Touch in Canada, I'll take the 4th gen as long as it has lighted cover. :D

Wrestlemania said:
Does the new buttons model have the X-Ray feature, or is that Touch exclusive?
I don't think it is a new model, they're just calling it something different since before they were using generic things like "Latest generation Kindle".

EDIT: Unless you mean the new supercheap non-Touch one with page-turning buttons.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
kindlestraight.jpg
kindleoverlay.jpg

kindlestack.jpg
kindlehome.jpg

kindless.jpg
kindlebox.jpg

So only having experienced my 2nd generation Kindle, I'm certainly appreciating the smaller form-factor and weight of the new unit. Anyone with a 3rd generation Kindle will already be aware of the increased quality of the pearl display over previous version (the increased contrast makes a big difference to me). The front-facing buttons are solid, and the page buttons blend in nicely and feel great. While I actually enjoy the design of the 2nd gen, it's far easier to forget you're holding the new Kindle.

I took shots of both the home screen with the ad displayed at the bottom and one of the screen saver. I heard the ads would be non-obtrusive and from my experience that seems to be the case. I included a picture of the box if someone was curious about that as well.

Mutagenic said:
So only having experienced my 2nd generation Kindle, I'm certainly appreciating the smaller form-factor and weight of the new unit. Anyone with a 3rd generation Kindle will already be aware of the increased quality of the pearl display over previous version (the increased contrast makes a big difference to me). The front-facing buttons are solid, and the page buttons blend in nicely and feel great. While I actually enjoy the design of the 2nd gen, it's far easier to forget you're holding the new Kindle.

I took shots of both the home screen with the ad displayed at the bottom and one of the screen saver. I heard the ads would be non-obtrusive and from my experience that seems to be the case. I included a picture of the box if someone was curious about that as well.

How'd you get your hands on one?

Does anyone know if the Kindle 3 and Kindle 4 are the same in terms of eInk technology? I assume they're the same (contrast, etc)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
BigNastyCurve said:
How'd you get your hands on one?

Does anyone know if the Kindle 3 and Kindle 4 are the same in terms of eInk technology? I assume they're the same (contrast, etc)
They were in stock as early as yesterday post-announcement, and Amazon gave me free next-day shipping from a previous issue.

I forgot to add, sending purchased books to a second Kindle device is a snap. I logged into my account on the website, selected a dozen books to transfer to the new device, and they were on there instantly.

Mutagenic said:
They were in stock as early as yesterday post-announcement, and Amazon gave me free next-day shipping from a previous issue.

I forgot to add, sending purchased books to a second Kindle device is a snap. I logged into my account on the website, selected a dozen books to transfer to the new device, and they were on there instantly.

Ah, I didn't realize the keyboardless models had already shipped.

djm

After mulling on it the past couple days, I've decided to just buy the cheapo entry level Kindle. I figured I can always pass it on as a gift when the Touch comes out and I'm feeling like upgrading.

Question for anyone with a Kindle: Are you able to bookmark URLs in the experimental web browser somehow? Or will I have to type them in manually with the on screen keyboard every time.

Blackface

Banned
I have a question about the Kindle Fire. I am from Toronto, and know someone from California willing to order and send me one.

How integrated is it with Amazon Prime? Meaning, if I don't have an Amazon Prime account, will it allow me to load my own e-books, shows, music and movie from my PC? Or will it only accept that from Amazon Prime?

Manics

Banned
Got my new Kindle, it's sweet. Don't believe the hype about a sharper screen, it's the same as the K3 (at least to my eyes). Speed is definitely faster though.

Karish said:
I sold my OG nook for $70, and just bought the new $79 Kindle. Excited! Anyone know of cheap cases for this thing!?

Not sure about prices, but I prefer a foam sleeve over the flappy book-cover designs. Mine must have been around $20?

VistraNorrez said:
It's amazing people still make a big deal out of the e-ink screen flash. When you get engrossed in a book you won't notice it.
That sort of reaction is common with anything. The only people that complain about things like that are people that haven't actually given it a legitimate shot. All of us that actually use Kindles all the time can tell everyone forever that we don't even notice the flash until someone reminds us it's there, but they'll act like we're just fanboys or something.

Culex

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That sort of reaction is common with anything. The only people that complain about things like that are people that haven't actually given it a legitimate shot. All of us that actually use Kindles all the time can tell everyone forever that we don't even notice the flash until someone reminds us it's there, but they'll act like we're just fanboys or something.

Agreed. The E-Ink screen is so phenomenal in direct sunlight. Comparing to any other e-reader out there without the screen is no contest.

Anyone know if there is any experimental color e-ink being worked on?

Manics

Banned
Heads up to you guys who are thinking of getting the Kindle Touch 3G and think you're gonna get free touch web browsing anywhere. You only get the full browser functionality over wifi.
From Kindle's product page:

Technical Details Section said:
A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, downloading content, and web browsing (browsing available only in Wi-Fi mode).

Then under "Experimental Features"

Experimental Features said:
WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People have been calling and emailing Amazon, apparently over 3G you can only shop the Amazon store or check Wikipedia.

tokkun

Manics said:
People have been calling and emailing Amazon, apparently over 3G you can only shop the Amazon store or check Wikipedia.

The site I was reading said that Amazon responded that you could still use 3G browsing in the US.

Husker86

Manics said:
Heads up to you guys who are thinking of getting the Kindle Touch 3G and think you're gonna get free touch web browsing anywhere. You only get the full browser functionality over wifi.
From Kindle's product page:

Then under "Experimental Features"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They must have changed that then because on my Kindle 3 I can web browse over 3G.

tokkun said:
The site I was reading said that Amazon responded that you could still use 3G browsing in the US.

Ah yes, I remember that now. I was under the impression that browsing was WiFi only before I got my 3G and was pleasantly surprised when it worked.

Culex said:
Anyone know if there is any experimental color e-ink being worked on?
It's past the experimental stage. The screen is e-ink's Triton model. There are videos of it in action. It looks like newspaper, that is to say not particularly vibrant. No one has really jumped on it yet. I'm not sure why, maybe it's too costly or they don't like the washed out nature of it.

DoubleTap

I think I'll go ahead and order the Touch. I'm probably one of the few who like the absence of page turn buttons. I keep hitting those things by accident when I pick it up.

Thank you e-ink based Amazon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: I just saw the new Kindle (2011), and the page turning speed is quite a bit faster than even the 3rd generation model, so I'm thinking about ordering it. I love the size and feel of it, too. If I pass on my 3rd generation Kindle to my wife, but leave it set up with my account, we're not going to have any problems reading books simultaneously from the same account, right (other than progress syncing issues when reading the same book)?

Schlep

Karish said:
Looking for one of those $10 super cheap cases for the new $79 kindle.

Does anyone use their Kindle NAKED?
Raunchy.

I have the Kindle 3 and just use this Timbuk2 sleeve case. I prefer it naked; lightweight and less bulky.

3N16MA

Banned
These are customer images (not mine) from Amazon's Kindle homepage:

cie8q.jpg

19esj.jpg

The customer notes that the new Kindle seems faded compared to the 3rd gen. Anyone can confirm this?

Husker86

Karish said:

I do if I don't need the built in light on my Amazon case. I prefer it naked but am usually not outside/under a light bulb when I read.

tokkun

Karish said:

Personally I think people are way too obsessed with putting cases on their electronic devices. I don't use cases or screen protectors on any of my devices and have never had a problem, including with my EVO that's in the pocket with my keys every day. Modern screen materials seem to be very good.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Zefah said:
Quick question: I just saw the new Kindle (2011), and the page turning speed is quite a bit faster than even the 3rd generation model, so I'm thinking about ordering it. I love the size and feel of it, too. If I pass on my 3rd generation Kindle to my wife, but leave it set up with my account, we're not going to have any problems reading books simultaneously from the same account, right (other than progress syncing issues when reading the same book)?

No in my experience they're pretty loose with accounts. You can have your account active on multiple devices. I'll even sign into my husband's account, download a book he purchased then switch back to my account with no issue.

But like you say reading the same book will cause obvious syncing problems.

Manics

Banned
3N16MA said:
These are customer images (not mine) from Amazon's Kindle homepage:

cie8q.jpg

19esj.jpg

The customer notes that the new Kindle seems faded compared to the 3rd gen. Anyone can confirm this?
He got a bad one. I have mine and the images are as sharp or slightly better then the Kindle 3

Manics

Banned
tokkun said:
Personally I think people are way too obsessed with putting cases on their electronic devices. I don't use cases or screen protectors on any of my devices and have never had a problem, including with my EVO that's in the pocket with my keys every day. Modern screen materials seem to be very good.
I'm gonna use my new Kindle with no case while I read. I just bought a travel case so it doesn't get scuffed or anything if I throw it in a bag but I just take out the Kindle when I read now.

DiscoJer

Karish said:

I keep mine in a padded mailer (covered with duct tape to keep water out).

Top Bottom