• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kaskade

HiroProtagonist said:
It looks like this case doesn't add as much bulk which is nice. The leather case for the kindle 3 was a bit bulky. It pretty much doubled the width and the weight. Not really that big of a deal since the kindle is light to begin with. I do like the green, which is my favorite color. I'd like to see it in non marketing photos though. Brown looks really nice as well.

Still deciding over the touch or kindle right now though. I feel like for 20 bucks I might as well get the touch.

kaskade said:
It looks like this case doesn't add as much bulk which is nice. The leather case for the kindle 3 was a bit bulky. It pretty much doubled the width and the weight. Not really that big of a deal since the kindle is light to begin with. I do like the green, which is my favorite color. I'd like to see it in non marketing photos though. Brown looks really nice as well.

Still deciding over the touch or kindle right now though. I feel like for 20 bucks I might as well get the touch.

Ya, I would too. The old cases definitely were a different shade of that color than what you saw on amazon. My kindle 3 case is the green leather.

Zoc

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well it has the experimental browser which is fine to check email but don't expect much in the way of web browsing with it. Between the eink and such it's not the fastest especially for image heavy websites. As long as you don't expect to be as fast as a tablet it's ok for little tasks like checking email or I use it to check sports scores but not more than that IMO. And obviously if you get the cheaper version you can only do it over wifi.

How does secondapps.com/neogaf look on it?

I'm a Kindle 2 owner, and I'm really interested in moving to a Kindle touch. One question I have for newer Kindle owners is whether to go with the ads or no ads version. My old author screensavors weren't great, so i'm not sure going ad free is worth the 40 buck price difference (that can go to the lighted case)

Thoughts?

Adamm

Sorry if this has been asked before.

But, any word if they are going to reduce the price of the old non-touch kindle now?

DiscoJer

Adamm said:
Sorry if this has been asked before.

But, any word if they are going to reduce the price of the old non-touch kindle now?

No, that's been renamed the "Kindle Keyboard" and is still the same price.

But there's a cheaper, keyboardless/touchless one for $79 (with ads)/$109 (no ads).

Which frankly, seems like a decent buy. Less onboard storage, but the only time I've ever used the keyboard on my K3 is when I created the names of collections and the one time I played Scrabble (where of course, I got stomped by the computer, because it can look stuff up through a dictionary)

Totakeke

djm said:
I'm pretty sure they dropped the ad-supported Kindle 3 (now Keyboard) down to $99 from $114.

It's a bit cheaper than before yeah. I'm having an internal debate of choosing between the Kindle Touch and Kindle 3. Maybe I'll pick up a used Kindle 3? Yeah?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Can someone sum up what's up with the new $80 and $150 eInk Kindles? I've had my eye on a Kindle for like 8 months, but I was waiting for one more revision, before jumping in. Are these Kindles NEW, or the previous model with a new price? Any reason I should NOT get one, and get a previous model or an eInk Nook, etc? Any reason to get the touch?

Basically, I'm ready to make a purchase, but haven't had a chance to wade through today's news... all anyone wants to talk about is the Fire, which doesn't interest me (I have an iPad already... I want a book device).

Edit: Is the Kindle Keyboard new?Or is that the old one? This line is so confusing now.

GDJustin said:
Can someone sum up what's up with the new $80 and $150 eInk Kindles? I've had my eye on a Kindle for like 8 months, but I was waiting for one more revision, before jumping in. Are these Kindles NEW, or the previous model with a new price? Any reason I should NOT get one, and get a previous model or an eInk Nook, etc? Any reason to get the touch?

Basically, I'm ready to make a purchase, but haven't had a chance to wade through today's news... all anyone wants to talk about is the Fire, which doesn't interest me (I have an iPad already... I want a book device).

Edit: Is the Kindle Keyboard new?Or is that the old one? This line is so confusing now.

Kindle Keyboard is not new. Its the renamed existing Kindle

djm

Yeah, it's kind of confusing. I saw a well done comparison table early yesterday but couldn't manage to find it again.

There is 3 models now: Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard.

Kindle is $79 with ads or $109 without. Wi-Fi only. No keyboard/touch, just a 5-way controller on the bottom. They cut text-to-speech/audio playback and halved the memory to 2gb.

Kindle Touch is $99/$139 ($149/$189 for 3g model). No buttons whatsoever, including pageturn things on the side. Everything is tap.

Kindle Keyboard is the previous gen Kindle 3 renamed. They aren't making any changes that I'm aware of, besides dropping the price a bit.

The Kindle store page lets you look at the 3 models and their variants easily, but they kind of downplay the cuts they made for the new low end Kindle.

The 2 new models also have slightly improved e-ink screens. They can go about 6 pages before needing to do a total screen refresh, similar to the most recent Nook I believe.

DiscoJer

djm said:
I'm pretty sure they dropped the ad-supported wifi-only Kindle 3 (now Keyboard) down to $99 from $114.

Woops, you're right. But the no-ads version is still $139. $114 was such a weird price anyway...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Adamm said:
wow kindles are cheap in the US

Keyboard kindles are $170(Wifi) or $233(3G) in UK :(

the US headline prices are subsidised with ads. We don't get ads in the UK. new kindle without ads is $109 plus tax in the US, £89 inc tax in the UK.

O.DOGG

Has there been a word on the e-ink technology in the new models? Do they have the same screen as the old third-gen Kindle or are they better in some way?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
O.DOGG said:
Has there been a word on the e-ink technology in the new models? Do they have the same screen as the old third-gen Kindle or are they better in some way?

same physical screen for the low-end kindle at least (pearl). Don't know about the touch but I would expect the same.

does the low end kindle have the cover browser? And will that come to Kindle 3?

djm said:
Yeah, it's kind of confusing. I saw a well done comparison table early yesterday but couldn't manage to find it again.

There is 3 models now: Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard.

Kindle is $79 with ads or $109 without. Wi-Fi only. No keyboard/touch, just a 5-way controller on the bottom. They cut text-to-speech/audio playback and halved the memory to 2gb.

Kindle Touch is $99/$139 ($149/$189 for 3g model). No buttons whatsoever, including pageturn things on the side. Everything is tap.

Kindle Keyboard is the previous gen Kindle 3 renamed. They aren't making any changes that I'm aware of, besides dropping the price a bit.

The Kindle store page lets you look at the 3 models and their variants easily, but they kind of downplay the cuts they made for the new low end Kindle.

The 2 new models also have slightly improved e-ink screens. They can go about 6 pages before needing to do a total screen refresh, similar to the most recent Nook I believe.

It should be noted that the memory that you can actually use on the 79/109 Dollars Kindle is a good bit less than half of the Keyboard/Touch Kindles (~1.25GB vs. ~3.1GB).
It's still probably pretty much a non issue for most considering how many books 1.25GB will be able to hold + due to no audio support people obviously won't store MP3s on their 2GB Kindle.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fuck, $60 for the lighted case? Amazon is definitely using that to subsidize Kindles.

DiscoJer

Frankfurter said:
It should be noted that the memory that you can actually use on the 79/109 Dollars Kindle is a good bit less than half of the Keyboard/Touch Kindles (~1.25GB vs. ~3.1GB).
It's still probably pretty much a non issue for most considering how many books 1.25GB will be able to hold + due to no audio support people obviously won't store MP3s on their 2GB Kindle.

The other thing about the cheapie kindle is that it doesn't come with a recharging plug for the wall. You have to pay $10 more for that. (You get a USB charging cable, but the other kindles come with a plug that attaches to it that you can plug into a wall socket)

Granted, I've only used the wall charger once (when I first got my K3), the rest of the time it's been charged simply when I loaded books, but still, the plug probably only costs Amazon a buck or two, and if you travel, it's a must.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DiscoJer said:
Granted, I've only used the wall charger once (when I first got my K3), the rest of the time it's been charged simply when I loaded books, but still, the plug probably only costs Amazon a buck or two, and if you travel, it's a must.

loading....books? I think the only time I've connected to my computer via USB is to transfer audiobooks, and I think I'll switch that to my ipod for easier use in the car. Everything else I email to my free.kindle.com email address via calibre.

It does sound like they've scraped the barrel to get the price down. Smaller battery, no audio support at all, no wall charger (although they are fairly common)

So a guy using an Apple OS used an Apple character

large.png

which on PC I see as gibberish, but since I was viewing on Kindle I got a Klingon emblem?

20110929appleklingon.png

Now that the release day hype has died down for me I am starting to have some reservations on the fire. Cnet released a comparison between Fire and Nook color (249$) and the advantage of the Fire is minimal at best. This is worrying because Nook Color is old hardware that is about to get a successor this fall which could leave Fire in the dust tech wise for a similar price.....plus it still bothers me that you can't upgrade storage on the Fire cloud or no cloud. Not even going to touch the epub debate.

I am going to take a wait and see approach.

Oh and heres link to comparison.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20112772-251/kindle-fire-vs-nook-color-spec-breakdown/

The only really bad thing about it is storage and that you can't upgrade it with SD cards. Although that's a pretty major negative to be honest.

tokkun

06nbarnhill said:
Now that the release day hype has died down for me I am starting to have some reservations on the fire. Cnet released a comparison between Fire and Nook color (249$) and the advantage of the Fire is minimal at best. This is worrying because Nook Color is old hardware that is about to get a successor this fall which could leave Fire in the dust tech wise for a similar price.....plus it still bothers me that you can't upgrade storage on the Fire cloud or no cloud. Not even going to touch the epub debate.

I am going to take a wait and see approach.

Oh and heres link to comparison.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20112772-251/kindle-fire-vs-nook-color-spec-breakdown/

They're similar from a hardware perspective, sure, but what about software and services?

If this was all about tech specs the HP Touch Pad would have been a successful product.

tokkun said:
They're similar from a hardware perspective, sure, but what about software and services?

If this was all about tech specs the HP Touch Pad would have been a successful product.

Yep and Apple products would never have gained popularity.

Malajax

x-Lundz-x said:
Not sure where to put this and I can't post new threads. I searched and found nothing. I was looking at Amazon today and found this awesome deal, and I know these are really popular. I just purchased it.

The Hunger Games Trilogy for $4.38.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XJRQUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe a mistake but still get it while you can.

Huh. I only need Mockingjay, but this compilation of the whole thing is less than that one book. I wish these compilations worked more like Steam. I could just give away the extra copies.

Frankfurter said:
The only really bad thing about it is storage and that you can't upgrade it with SD cards. Although that's a pretty major negative to be honest.

That has everything to do with the Nook Color and how easy it became to root it.

outunderthestars said:
That has everything to do with the Nook Color and how easy it became to root it.

Ya.....rooting is the ONLY reason someone would want more than 8g of on board memory? /sarcasm

In all seriousness though. I do think Fire is a better overall deal than the current Nook Color. However if they were the same price my opinion would probably change. I am dieing to hear the specs for the next nook color (going to wait till I know before I just at either).

BFIB

I've been hoping someone on GAF would upload photos of the new Kindle. I'm torn on whether to get the new Kindle Touch, or stick w/ the 3. I'll probably stick w/ the 3, but the new one's look great, love the style of them.

I do need to get up to Best Buy and check out the BlackBerry Playbook, just to get an idea of what the Kindle Fire's chassis is going to look like and feel like.

Enco

Amazon being so exclusive to the US is pretty annoying.

What freaking excuse do they have for not releasing the touch in the UK? Some kind of magical equipment used that can't travel overseas?

Manics

Banned
Enco said:
Amazon being so exclusive to the US is pretty annoying.

What freaking excuse do they have for not releasing the touch in the UK? Some kind of magical equipment used that can't travel overseas?

The touch hasn't shipped in the U.S. either, it's only for preorder.

TheExodu5 said:
X-Ray feature?
The feature is called X-Ray, and it builds on the Kindle’s reputation for solid integration of reference tools, namely a way to look up outside information that doesn’t completely disturb the eReading experience.

Here’s how it works. While reading through a novel on Kindle (we assume it will appear on all Kindle readers, not just the Touch), users can touch a word to launch either a dictionary definition or a more in-depth explanation from Wikipedia. During his demo at today’s Amazon press event, Bezos explored the X-Ray feature by looking up “Versailles Treaty” in the novel Remains of the Day. Immediately after he tapped the highlighted text, a floating window appeared above the book copy and displayed copy explaining that the Treaty of Versailles was made at the end of World War I.

That is it I think. Nice for students.

Manics

Banned
Frankfurter said:
Wait... what? eInk dims over time? By how much (1% per 500 hours or sth.?)?

I've never heard of this. When my new Kindle arrives I'll compare the screen to my wife's Kindle (just bought in March, she reads very infrequently so the screen hasn't been used all that much) If there's a noticeable difference I'll post images.

Top Bottom