• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Having second thoughts about moving from my Kindle 3 to Kindle Touch. I think I may miss having the page turn buttons.

kaskade

Bboy AJ said:
Having second thoughts about moving from my Kindle 3 to Kindle Touch. I think I may miss having the page turn buttons.
Thats how I feel right now. Maybe I'll just get the normal ol kindle. Kind of an upgrade or the sake of upgrading.

Bboy AJ said:
Yeah, I would've pre-ordered Day 1 if it included the same discrete page turn buttons as the regular Kindle. So misguided to remove them, I love the tactile click of the Kindle 3 but would use the touch screen for other things like faster highlighting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Schlep said:
It flashes every 5-6 pages. Look at about 2:05 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDnc6XwnNI

That's kinda... horrible. The non-blinking doesn't look too good either.

I dunno, I'm anal and notice small things like that and it starts to eat away in my brain about it. I just can't get a kindle because of it, but I love the kindle store enough to use it on PC.

Maybe if e-ink gets around that limitation, I'd consider it.

TheSeks said:
That's kinda... horrible. The non-blinking doesn't look too good either.

I dunno, I'm anal and notice small things like that and it starts to eat away in my brain about it. I just can't get a kindle because of it, but I love the kindle store enough to use it on PC.

Maybe if e-ink gets around that limitation, I'd consider it.

Horrible? Really? It's a flicker that lasts a millisecond. SMH.

TheSeks

Affeinvasion said:
Horrible? Really? It's a flicker that lasts a millisecond. SMH.

It's notice-able to me, so yes: It's horrible to me, because it's annoyance. Sorry I can't ignore it like you?

TheSeks said:
It's notice-able to me, so yes: It's horrible to me, because it's annoyance. Sorry I can't ignore it like you?
Are you able to ignore the turning of a page in real life, or is the analog version of not being able to read something for a milisecond in between pages putting you off real books too?

epmode

I understand completely. While the e-ink flash doesn't bother me, the text distortion during a page turn of a physical book is a dealbreaker. I just can't get over it!

TheSeks

elrechazao said:
Are you able to ignore the turning of a page in real life, or is the analog version of not being able to read something for a milisecond in between pages putting you off real books too?

Page turning is natural and doesn't have a "blink," that's an annoyance to me. So no, "turning pages" doesn't "turn me off."

Besides, that's an apple and orange comparison. I can read ebooks in the Kindle PC app just fine because it doesn't blink. The kindle does and it is something that is noticeable to me every page turn when I've test drove it. Again: Sorry, it is notice-able to me, and to me, it's a horrible annoyance and why I can't buy a standalone e-reader that is e-ink currently.

TheSeks said:
Page turning is natural and doesn't have a "blink," that's an annoyance to me. So no, "turning pages" doesn't "turn me off."

Besides, that's an apple and orange comparison. I can read ebooks in the Kindle PC app just fine because it doesn't blink. The kindle does and it is something that is noticeable to me every page turn when I've test drove it. Again: Sorry, it is notice-able to me, and to me, it's a horrible annoyance and why I can't buy a standalone e-reader that is e-ink currently.
horrible?

geez

TheSeks

elrechazao said:
horrible?

geez

Horrible may be a bit dramatic, but it's annoying to me. And that video's "non-blink" page turn isn't too much better either.

DiscoJer

TheSeks said:

I used to think the same way until I actually owned a Kindle. Your mind just filters it out after a while.

The big annoyance I have with the kindle is setting it down for a couple minutes, then picking it up only to have it switch off.

Having pets, I rarely can read uninterrupted.

Manics

Banned
Biggest thing for me with the Kindle is the ability to read a book with one hand. Sitting by a pool drink in one hand, Kindle in the other and I can flip pages easily. With a book I'd need two hands. I don't even notice the flash anymore, the flash is akin to having to wait a split second as you flip the page.

As much as I wanted a touch I've decided to stick with Kindle 3 for now. Not that much of a update besides touch and 3g. (To me atleast.)

Plus I like the page turn buttons more than I thought. I pretended my Kindle 3 had a touch screen and it felt...awkward...

Btw can I show off my Kindke book in this thread? Dunno if its allowed. I'm in the progress of publishing a series thats in short story form (5,000-10,000 words per title) for 99c per book. I actually wrote almost the first three books in the series but need to edit them. The first "book" that I'll be publishing is only 1,500 words. Its actually a free(obviously I didn't expect to sell 1,500 words, probably 5,000 words aren't worth 99c either...) short story collection of 3 stories so their really short. I just do better writing short stories.

Don't worry I write much better in the books than I do on forums. I have someone who helps me edit the stories.

DiscoJer said:
I used to think the same way until I actually owned a Kindle. Your mind just filters it out after a while.

The big annoyance I have with the kindle is setting it down for a couple minutes, then picking it up only to have it switch off.

Having pets, I rarely can read uninterrupted.

Kindle doesn't let you adjust the timeout?

WiiRevolution1 said:
As much as I wanted a touch I've decided to stick with Kindle 3 for now. Not that much of a update besides touch and 3g. (To me atleast.)

Plus I like the page turn buttons more than I thought. I pretended my Kindle 3 had a touch screen and it felt...awkward...

The physical size difference and weight are a huge plus on top of the easier to use interface. That's almost enough of an upgrade IMO. I'm just really sadden by the lack of page turn buttons. It just seems so close to being perfect and just a tad short.

TheSeks said:

Your loss I'm afraid.

Amazon just replaced my broken Kindle 3 in less than 18 hours, incredible service. Woohoo!

Vyse The Legend said:
Aesthetically, the Kindle Touch is kinda... ugly. The color and unsightly speaker grill are heinous.
This thing?

I1s1S.jpg

I thought it was a vent at first, but it's the home button.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dupy said:
No in my experience they're pretty loose with accounts. You can have your account active on multiple devices. I'll even sign into my husband's account, download a book he purchased then switch back to my account with no issue.

But like you say reading the same book will cause obvious syncing problems.

Thanks!

I ordered one earlier today, and it's scheduled to show up tomorrow.

Regarding the Kindle Touch discussion: I honestly don't see the appeal. How do touch screen controls enhance the device, especially at the expense of losing the physical side-buttons that allow reading with one hand?

Zefah said:
Regarding the Kindle Touch discussion: I honestly don't see the appeal. How do touch screen controls enhance the device, especially at the expense of losing the physical side-buttons that allow reading with one hand?
The Xray stuff looks nice, but yeah I wouldn't trade my 3 for a touch, they shouldn't have removed the buttons.

TheSeks said:
You really can't say if it annoys unless you've actually tried to read off the screen. You will ignore it, everyone does. Or your mind will train itself to blink and miss it. The blink doesn't even exist for me. It probably stopped existing a few minutes into my first book on the Kindle.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Zefah said:
Thanks!

Have you ever read a book with a lot of footnotes? It's a pain to use the Kindle 3 controls to get the cursor down to the *. Touch will also be a lot easier for word selection/look up. It has its advantages.

And I always found the page turn button on my Kindle to be kind of flimsy so I'm not too upset over the removal. I understand the complaint though.

LCfiner

Zefah said:
Thanks!

there’s a mode on the touch that makes the “next page” hit zone take up so much of the screen that you can still hold it with your left hand and easily skip pages.

that said, I still want side buttons on the touch as I prefer the tactile feel.

bangai-o

Banned
i really dont understand the "blink" complaint. The screen does a quick fade out to into the next page. What else is it supposed to do?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
For anyone who's got a new kindle:

if I upload a PDF can I keep the fonts large and scroll left and right using touch? or zoom in and out using multi-touch? (I am talking about Kindle touch not the kindle fire)

mosaic

go eat paint
I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out which Kindle model would be appropriate for my technophobic mother that's been diagnosed with cataracts.

I think a Kindle would be stellar if only because she can increase the font size and be able to read more easily. You should see the wacky magnifier thing she uses now.

But she doesn't own a computer, has never used email, and won't use anything that appears difficult to use.

I like the Kindle Keyboard because it has the obvious page turn buttons, and the keyboard might be good for when she buys Amazon gift cards at the store (that's the only way she'd purchase books, she'd never put her own credit/debit card in there).

But the Kindle Touch is smaller, lighter, and less visually daunting. A keyboard might scare her off. Then again, she'd have to use an on-screen keyboard to input search info or Amazon card numbers. And I think she'd accidentally turn pages on a touch-screen, whereas discrete page buttons would make more sense to her.

Anyone out there know someone 60+ and technophobic that's using a Kindle?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Gadfly said:

if I upload a PDF can I keep the fonts large and scroll left and right using touch? or zoom in and out using multi-touch? (I am talking about Kindle touch not the kindle fire)
The Touch version releases sometime in October.

tokkun said:
Personally I think people are way too obsessed with putting cases on their electronic devices. I don't use cases or screen protectors on any of my devices and have never had a problem, including with my EVO that's in the pocket with my keys every day. Modern screen materials seem to be very good.
Word is the Kindle screens are pretty fragile. I have a decent case for mine for when it rarely leaves the house so I personally haven't had a problem, but there's stories even in this thread of people have the screen ruined by being crushed between two school books while in a backpack.

Also, while I also typically don't use cases for phones, mp3 players, handheld game consoles, etc. for the Kindle I bought the official Amazon case just to add some width to the thing. Some people don't mind but a naked Kindle is way too thin to comfortably hold with one hand for me.

Bboy AJ said:
Yeah, it sucks they took away the physical page turn buttons. I'm pretty sure the Nook Touch kept them, and more options are rarely a bad thing.

I really like the added length of the keyboard because it gives me a spot to grip. The new Kindles do look really slick though, and as soon they release one with an increased screen resolution I'll bite.

DiscoJer

Gadfly said:

The only new kindle out is the no touch, not keyboard one.

Also, PDFs and 6" e-readers don't mix. Just don't even try.

If you must, try this

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144711

It takes a PDF and turns it into something suitable for a 6" reader (though it turns it into pictures, so hardly ideal)

Zabka

mosaic said:
Anyone out there know someone 60+ and technophobic that's using a Kindle?
I know it's ridiculously expensive compared to the other Kindles, but the DX is great for people with vision issues.

For everyone else of that type the Kindle Keyboard is a godsend. Page turn buttons are an absolute necessity, and having a physical keyboard is less intimidating in my experience.

ETA: Get a 3g version so she doesn't have to deal with wifi

bangai-o

Banned
i move all my assignments and readings to kindle as pdf files. I just have to zoom 200 percent. It sometimes works well, other times I end up getting part of the sentence cut off, and having to scroll right to read the last word, and thus scroll left again to read the next line. So yeah, that sucks.

dr3upmushroom said:
Yeah, it sucks they took away the physical page turn buttons. I'm pretty sure the Nook Touch kept them, and more options are rarely a bad thing.

Yep the Nook Touch did it right where they had a touch screen but kept the page turn buttons on each side of the screen. Seriously, anyone who wants a touch screen eReader with physical page turn buttons, give the Nook Touch a look. If you're worried about your existing Kindle library, they all can be converted over. The touch screen, easier navigation, physical size and weight all make a touch based eReader a great device. I hope Amazon adds the buttons back in with a revision at some point.

What is the point of making a buttonless ebook reader? I mean, the idea just seems so worthless to me. Just put the page turn buttons on each side and give people the option. Touchscreen does not need to be on everything.

Vyer

I would have preferred the buttons as an option, but I don't think it's a very big deal. The side bezel looks thin enough that it really won't be a hinderance to just using the thumb to tap the screen. I think I'm pretty used to that from using touchscreen smartphones with one hand for years.

I think the only place it is any sort of bother is page back. Personally I don't do that often when reading, but I see how that could be an annoyance.

Marty Chinn said:
Yep the Nook Touch did it right where they had a touch screen but kept the page turn buttons on each side of the screen. Seriously, anyone who wants a touch screen eReader with physical page turn buttons, give the Nook Touch a look. If you're worried about your existing Kindle library, they all can be converted over. The touch screen, easier navigation, physical size and weight all make a touch based eReader a great device. I hope Amazon adds the buttons back in with a revision at some point.

I guess, but I imagine most people will adjust to the lack of page turn buttons, or never have used them in the first place. Of the few time I've ever read on my Kindle iPad App the touch was something I never thought about. They should have been on the Kindle Touch but it's not something that would ever make me purchase a Nook Touch. I know it's easy to covert files but I'll take convenience and my whispersynch over it. And I really like that new X-ray feature. And anyway I don't find navigation an sort of issue on my Kindle 2. So the upgrade to a Kindle Keyboard might make more sense.

Manics

Banned
PastorOfMuppets said:
What is the point of making a buttonless ebook reader? I mean, the idea just seems so worthless to me. Just put the page turn buttons on each side and give people the option. Touchscreen does not need to be on everything.
Yep. I would have waited for the Touch version if it had the page turn buttons.

Top Bottom