• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Verdre said:
I wish kindle did support folders. Would make things easier and seems an odd thing not to support.
They're called Collections. It's the exact same thing.

I share AstroLad's complaint about the Collections syncing. I lost all of the organization I did on my old Kindle when I got the new one.

Chris R

With the recent kindle news is there any reason to get a nook? Cousin wants an ereader, but since I have no interest in one I don't know what to suggest .

rhfb said:
With the recent kindle news is there any reason to get a nook? Cousin wants an ereader, but since I have no interest in one I don't know what to suggest .

Nook has page turn buttons, supports open formats which many libraries and other stores use, and has longer battery life.

btkadams

Marty Chinn said:
Nook has page turn buttons, supports open formats which many libraries and other stores use, and has longer battery life.
i just bought a new kindle and my library supports it...don't a lot of libraries use that "overdrive" service that supports kindle? it also has page turn buttons. i also don't think battery life is a huge concern between any of the e-ink readers.

Marty Chinn said:
Kindle suddenly supports ePub?
You're missing the point.

You're promoting epub as an "open format" with benefits that the Kindle does not have. But now with full library support, what is the Kindle actually missing? You're bringing up a talking point that only made sense a year ago.

What stores serve truly open, non-DRMed epub files? And then of those, which do not also give you a mobi, txt, or html version as well?

There's liking epub on principle, and then there's liking it because there's actually a benefit behind it.

btkadams said:
i just bought a new kindle and my library supports it...don't a lot of libraries use that "overdrive" service that supports kindle? it also has page turn buttons. i also don't think battery life is a huge concern between any of the e-ink readers.

Kindle added library support, but isn't it a different format? A lot of libraries use ePub which as far as I know, the Kindle still doesn't support and that's the standard format out there for eBooks. Also by page turn buttons, I was assuming a comparison between the Nook Touch and Kindle Touch. The Nook has supposedly a 2 to 3 times longer battery life so it's not something that's completely irrelevant to consider.

The Kindle Collections Manger - from Mobilereads.
http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/default.aspx

They have you submit your email then they send you an email with the download, so I rehosted it for them. We wouldn't want to stress their servers with all that extra work.

http://anyhub.net/file/4g5o-kindlecollectionmanager_v0.4.1.zip

There is no info on the website, but I pulled this from the text file in the zip:

Kindle Collections Manager v0.4.1 Copyright (C) Adrian Colegate 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for agreeing to take part in the beta test programme for my Kindle Collection Manager.

The installation archive is attached to this email.

Overview
~~~~~~~~
The app was built using Windows 7 64bit and targets the .Net Framework 4 Client Profile (which is a smaller cut-down version). If your machine doesn't already have the Framework installed, you'll be prompted to download it and install it.

Installation
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you have a previous version of the application installed, please uninstall it first.

The installation file is distributed as a zip archive containing 2 files. You'll need to remove the ".rename" suffix before opening the archive. Run "setup.exe" to install the app.

When installed, you should have a folder called "Kindle Collection Manager" in your start menu.

Running the app
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Plug in your Kindle and run the app. The app will read the contents of your "/documents" folder on your Kindle and also information about any collections you've already set up.

The app supports PDF, MOBI, TXT, PRC, AZW, AZW1 and TPZ files.

When the app starts, it checks for eBooks on your Kindle which have the same DRM File IDs. These are duplicate eBook files. The existence of duplicates is not advised or supported by the Kindle Collection Manager. If duplicates are found, you are prompted to either move them into a folder outside the Kindle's "documents" folder or continue with only the 1st occurrence being displayed.

You can drag and drop files from your Kindle documents folder (on the left) into your collections (on the right). You can also create, rename and delete your collections.

A collection can be created individually by right clicking in the right hand pane and selecting "Create Collection". A collection can also be created directly from a folder in the left pane by either dragging the folder into the right hand pane or by right clicking on the folder and selecting "Create collection from folder".

When you're happy you can commit your changes to your device. During the commit phase, the app won't alter any files, subscriptions, pictures, music or documents on your Kindle other than your system\collections.json file. The existing collections file will be backed-up in the suffixed with today's date and time so it can be easily restored.

rhfb said:
"Oh, here go hell come."

DiscoJer

Bomber Bob said:
yeah because open format == DRM'd ePub

lul

Yeah, basically format doesn't matter, it's all DRM. On the one hand you have Amazon and the other, Adobe/B&N.

Book stores that don't sell DRMed books, can sell in Mobi or ePub or anything they want. Okay, not many do, but it's their choice.

And the Kindle just got library support a couple weeks ago.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You're missing the point.

You're promoting epub as an "open format" with benefits that the Kindle does not have. But now with full library support, what is the Kindle actually missing? You're bringing up a talking point that only made sense a year ago.

What stores serve truly open, non-DRMed epub files? And then of those, which do not also give you a mobi, txt, or html version as well?

There's liking epub on principle, and then there's liking it because there's actually a benefit behind it.

There are plenty of sources that support ePub. Heck, Google Books is ePub based. Many libraries have their content in ePub format. Simple ease of access to non-DRM and DRM ePub books is still an advantage in favor of the Nook. Are we trying to pretend ePub is not widely used or is not an open standard that's widely adopted? Are you saying every library that supports ePub also supports OverDrive? (I actually don't know the answer to that but I find it hard to believe.)

Marty Chinn said:
There are plenty of sources that support ePub. Heck, Google Books is ePub based. Many libraries have their content in ePub format. Simple ease of access to non-DRM and DRM ePub books is still an advantage in favor of the Nook. Are we trying to pretend ePub is not widely used or is not an open standard that's widely adopted? Are you saying every library that supports ePub also supports OverDrive? (I actually don't know the answer to that but I find it hard to believe.)
I don't see any books in Overdrive that aren't available for Kindle. Their site is terrible to sort through, though.

Google Books is a good point, but then I'm wondering what that store has that the Kindle store doesn't, or if there is any price difference that's worthwhile.

Marty Chinn said:

So you're talking points is that nook touch gets better battery life than kindle touch but there's no way you can possibly know that until someone gets their hands on it and tests. You don't know how many libraries have ebooks but don't use overdrive as one of your other main talking points. And you're final talking point is epub which doesn't even matter if you can convert it with calibre.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the new kindle have the cover view as shown on the touch?

and how does it work if you have two kindles? Do you just set up whispersync to one?

eg I have a keyboard kindle 3G and was thinking of passing that to my wife, and getting a non-keyboard kindle. But i don't want my reading position synced with her kindle, and also I'd like to be able to choose which books get delivered to which kindle, from the same amazon account if possible.

Also surprised there is no kindle touch here yet. I guess they have slightly less supply and so are focusing on the US launch. If there is enough to go round (or lower demand) i'm sure they'll try and release the touch in other markets before christmas, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope overdrive brings library support for kindle to the UK soon. They have widespread coverage but still epub only

mrklaw said:
does the new kindle have the cover view as shown on the touch?

and how does it work if you have two kindles? Do you just set up whispersync to one?

eg I have a keyboard kindle 3G and was thinking of passing that to my wife, and getting a non-keyboard kindle. But i don't want my reading position synced with her kindle, and also I'd like to be able to choose which books get delivered to which kindle, from the same amazon account if possible.

Also surprised there is no kindle touch here yet. I guess they have slightly less supply and so are focusing on the US launch. If there is enough to go round (or lower demand) i'm sure they'll try and release the touch in other markets before christmas, right?
You can have more than one Kindle attached to your Amazon account. Syncing only becomes an issue if you and your wife read the same book at the same time.

Angst

mrklaw said:

You can definitely choose which kindle to deliver to - just pick the device to deliver to at purchase, it won't deliver to any other device. As for synching - if you read the same book at the same time with wifi/3G on it will sync across the devices. But you or she will get a prompt about going to last read page or not, just pick no and you will stay at your own last read page/location.

Google Books is a good point, but then I'm wondering what that store has that the Kindle store doesn't, or if there is any price difference that's worthwhile.

Amazon still has the biggest e-book store. For instance Nook and Google do not have The Hangman's Daughter, which Amazon is actually discounting right now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
VistraNorrez said:
Amazon still has the biggest e-book store. For instance Nook and Google do not have The Hangman's Daughter, which Amazon is actually discounting right now.

I just finished reading that book. I would recommend it. Its interesting.

VistraNorrez said:

Is that book any good? I feel like I've heard of it before so I bought it on a whim.

Edit: I see my question has been answered. :p

mrklaw said:
I like the flash, feels like i'm turning a page. Having new text instantly appear would be odd I think.
The new Kindle only flashes every 6 pages. It is definitely weird. I would prefer the option to have it flash. Sometimes you don't even notice that the words have really changed and you feel like you have to hit "next page" again to make sure.

Wow, the 99 euro price point has got to be the sweet spot. I get spammed with questions about my kindle experience so far.
Also 2 forums I frequent suddenly have an ereaded OT..

Amazon's holiday season will be extra busy this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
Just ordered the $79 with-offers model. I had $10 Amazon credit I'd forgotten about. $69 Kindle FTW!

One of the offers right now is a code for $5 off a purchase of $10 or more, so you can probably take off another $5!

Cyan said:
Think I'm going to finally make the jump.

So, what's the difference between the el cheapo and the basic Touch? Er, I mean besides the obvious. Like, do people find the Touch that much better to use that it's worth the extra $20?
The Touch version isn't out until November. Nobody knows.

tokkun

Cyan said:
Think I'm going to finally make the jump.

So, what's the difference between the el cheapo and the basic Touch? Er, I mean besides the obvious. Like, do people find the Touch that much better to use that it's worth the extra $20?

Double the battery life, double the storage, support for audio features, support for X-Ray feature.

That's worth $20 to me even without the touchscreen.

The Touch version isn't out until November. Nobody knows.
This needs to be your tag
lol.gif

To add to the above post, Kindle Touch does not allow for web surfing over 3G.

Karish

Has anyone found any cheap cases for the new $79 Kindle (non touch). I bought my GF a solid Kindle 3 case for $12, all the Kindle 4 (is that what we're calling it?) are $30

Kurdel

Banned
This is my first Kindle, and it's amazing. I was an eink hater because of the refresh, but in reality it's barely noticable. The time it takes for your eyes to leave the bottom of the page to get to the top, it has already finished refreshing. Plus it only happens evey 5 or 6 pages.

I don't regret getting this over the touch edition. The touch might be tedious and finnicky, whereas buttons are always reliable.

My iPad 2 feels soooo heavy and bright after a few hours of Kindle reading!

Also, the web browser is messed up and janky. But at least it's only "experimental".

It's the kind of gadget you want to share. Being dirt cheap will make this one of the hottest holiday gifts, I am calling it now. Fuck the other models, 79$ is where it's at.

Esiquio

Gary Whitta said:
I just ordered mine today and they'll be here tomorrow! (Got one for my gf too). <3 Amazon!

Do you have Prime or is that standard? Everyone that is ordering a Kindle..put this number in your phone: 866-321-8851

That's Kindle Support, and they're amazing. They'll straight-up next-day you a new Kindle and pay for return shipping if you have ANY problems with your Kindle. I sent in my K2 once because it had a scratch on the screen that was my fault.

Edit: Had to add this in with all the talk of screen refreshing. If you want to see what the Kindle looks like refreshing the words only instead of the whole screen, go to the Kindle Daily Post, which is accessible by going to the Kindle Store and selecting "Kindle Daily Post" under "Featured" . That specific "page" has different refreshing properties than anything else.

Also, just remembered, everyone who has a Kindle NEEDS to download this:

bit.ly/k3shortcuts

Go there and download the MOBI version. It's basically a fan-made collection of EVERY shortcut/trick on the Kindle. I consider it an essential download. For instance, if the "ink ghosting" is bothering you, press ALT+G (it removes ghosting / redraws the screen)

Izayoi

Banned
Leona Lewis said:
This needs to be your tag
lol.gif

To add to the above post, Kindle Touch does not allow for web surfing over 3G.
What the fuck?

I was going to pre-order it, but...

Guess it's the Kindle Keyboard for me.

But I can't choose.

FUCK

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Izayoi said:
What the fuck?

I was going to pre-order it, but...

Guess it's the Kindle Keyboard for me.

But I can't choose.

FUCK

what do you want? They all have the same 6" pearl screen. If you're thinking you'll want the web browser then keyboard would be useful to actually type addresses etc.

Karish

Got my $79 Kindle (4) last night.

Love it. So small. So light. And the special offers are awesome! I got a $5 coupon to Amazon just for clicking on one.

I think I'm going to go case-less for now.

Also, compared to my girlfriends Kindle 3, her e-ink screen looked about 10% better. I know they're all the same though, so maybe it was just in my head...

bob page

I got my $79 model yesterday and love the form factor. This is my first Kindle and my mind is still blown by e-ink.

It had a slight hairline scratch along the front left near the back button (not bad at all), but Amazon decided to refund me 20% of the total. I love their customer support so much.

Enco

Yonn said:
Has there been any talk about bringing the ad-supported one to the UK?
Highly doubt it.

We get no app store, no kindle touch, no kindle fire and no good prices. Amazon hate anywhere that isn't the US.

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
The Kindle Collections Manger - from Mobilereads.
http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/default.aspx

They have you submit your email then they send you an email with the download, so I rehosted it for them. We wouldn't want to stress their servers with all that extra work.

http://anyhub.net/file/4g5o-kindlecollectionmanager_v0.4.1.zip

There is no info on the website, but I pulled this from the text file in the zip:

"Oh, here go hell come."

Is this collections manager any different/better than the Calibre plugin? I know you can organize collections in Calibre and have them all setup on your Kindle as opposed to creating them yourself on the device.

bob page

Enco said:
Highly doubt it.

We get no app store, no kindle touch, no kindle fire and no good prices. Amazon hate anywhere that isn't the US.
Tell your countries to adopt different accounting/business standards and I'm sure Amazon will be more than happy to oblige.

Enco

bob page said:
Tell your countries to adopt different accounting/business standards and I'm sure Amazon will be more than happy to oblige.
Apple don't seem to have a issue with it?

What logical reason is there behind not releasing the kindle touch here?

bob page

Enco said:
Apple don't seem to have a issue with it?

What logical reason is there behind not releasing the kindle touch here?
I didn't know you were referring to the Touch, but as far as special offers versions and pricing, I'm sure it's because of accounting standards and regulations in your country.

It's not like Amazon wants to sell their product to less people.

Enco

bob page said:
I didn't know you were referring to the Touch, but as far as special offers versions and pricing, I'm sure it's because of accounting standards and the way business is structured in your country.

It's not like Amazon wants to sell their product to less people.
I was just talking about things as a whole but the touch is the strongest case haha.

I guess the ads can be understood but why no market? Android and Apple are here so there's really no excuse for that. Plus I don't see any issue with the touch at all.

Releasing one Kindle at the equivalent of $137 seems ridiculous.

Manics said:
Is this collections manager any different/better than the Calibre plugin? I know you can organize collections in Calibre and have them all setup on your Kindle as opposed to creating them yourself on the device.
To tell you the truth, I downloaded it, installed it, and have never used it. I'm not entirely positive, but it sounds like they do the same thing. Is there anything Calibre can't do?

Top Bottom