• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Angst

This is due to Apple and some publishers adopting the Agency model..aka price fixing to try and destroy amazon and try and force everyone to accept that the convenience of the ebooks should have a large fee associated with it. They're doing the same thing the music industry did in the 90's trying force retail to keep price of CD's above 22bucks ect.

UK and US department of Justice are investigating them for Price fixing which is obvious in full effect.
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2619048/us-justice-department-also-investigating-apple-and-others-for-ebook

Basically way it was is . Distributors like Amazon buy bulk books and eBook licensees at 50% of MSRP then sell as low as they want.

Apple came out with their own ebook store and worked with the publishers to setup the agency model where the Publishers themselves set the saleprice and the distributor gets 30% cut.
This allows apple to shutdown all third party ebook sellers in the IOS world since there was only a 30% profit and now these indies have to pay apple all the profits.. Apples own store doesn't incure the 30% fee.
as well this makes amazon sell there books at just as high a price as Itunes since now the publishers are setting the global price of the product higher.
This makes my blood boil. All hail Apple and their consumer friendly ways! :/

BFIB

is this a nation wide thing? i've been thinking about getting the Kindle Touch and this would push me over the edge

I'm not sure, but by the time I debated here, went back up to the store, it was gone. So, if it is a nationwide thing, they won't last long.

Chorazin

Got my replacement Kindle Touch from Amazon on Wednesday, this one has a much nicer build quality (no lose back plate) and works perfectly in the lighted case I got for Xmas! Plus, they sent me a non-ad version to replaces my ad-sponsored one. Amazon fucking rules!

How big is the power drain on the Kindle 4 case with backlight? Substantial enough to just go for the non-backlit one and be sure to stay near light when reading at night?

AndyD

aka andydumi
How big is the power drain on the Kindle 4 case with backlight? Substantial enough to just go for the non-backlit one and be sure to stay near light when reading at night?

Speaking from experience with a keyboard kindle and official case, the light draw is roughly the same as the wireless draw. So with the light on and wireless off, i recharged weekly to two weeks, without the light monthly. When I turned wireless on and read with the light, I recharged every 3-4 days and without the light, a 7-8 days.

So all in all it cuts battery in half by using the light all the time.

kaskade

Got my lighted case for my Kindle 4. It really sucks that it's 60 bucks. That is the only negative about it. It's nice that the cover flips completely back. I like the light on this one better than the kindle keyboard case. I don't think it is as bright. Don't get me wrong though, it completely lights up the screen. But I feel the lighting is better though. With the previous design I felt like it would light up everything to the left but now I think it would be less likely to disturb people next to you. As for the thickness I think it make the kindle more comfortable to hold. It was almost too thin without the case for me. I never felt like I could 100% comfortably grip it right. Well there you go, my impressions. If you have the 60 bucks to spend I would recommend it.

Benedict

Seems that games now works for me as well, as soon as I registerered my US address on amazon. Was not an option before. Games seem not to be available outside of US.
Downloaded Solitaire and some logic puzzles. The graphics brings me back to the good old Mac SE/classic days

Ecto311

As for the thickness I think it make the kindle more comfortable to hold. It was almost too thin without the case for me. I never felt like I could 100% comfortably grip it right. Well there you go, my impressions. If you have the 60 bucks to spend I would recommend it.
I second this.my wife has the keyboard and lighted case and it's huge compared. Price sucks but really nice case.

I love my Kindle, but everytime I see a book that costs a few dollars more as an e-book than as a paperback I am enraged.

I feel this too. I was thinking after almost a year out that some books would drop in price, but they haven't and I just can't see myself spending $14.99 on an e-book.

chiQ

Has there been a good round-up of Kindle Touch cases? I'm looking for one, and my google-fu is failing me miserably.

deduce

I re-bought a Kindle. I originally bought the Kindle Keyboard with 3G but returned it because using pdf textbooks was rough and it was impossible to take notes on the device.

I picked up the Kindle 4 and love this little device. So far I've bought a screen protector. I'm going to pass on the case since I love how tiny the Kindle 4 is and don't want to bulk it up.

I disabled the screensaver because I like being able to pick up the device and continue reading without unlocking the screen. How bad does that effect battery drain?

Muskweeto

You can disable the screensaver? How? Or is it only available in the Kindle 4? I have the keyboard.

And maybe someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't think it takes any power to display a page. I think it only uses power when you "turn" pages or use Wi-Fi/3G, unless the screensaver turns off some background applications I'm not aware of.

Husker86

So my ad-supported Touch still hasn't shown me any ads. It checked to make sure they didn't accidentally send me a non ad-supported one and they didn't; shows me as subscribed to ads and need to pay $40 to undo that if I so wish.

Curious why I haven't seen any; WiFi has been on.

mandiller

You can disable the screensaver? How? Or is it only available in the Kindle 4? I have the keyboard.

And maybe someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't think it takes any power to display a page. I think it only uses power when you "turn" pages or use Wi-Fi/3G, unless the screensaver turns off some background applications I'm not aware of.

The e-reader only uses power to change a page. The device is off when he screensaver shows up.

EVH

So I love my kindle and all that, but the PDF reader is quite bad. I mean, you have fixed zoom and fixed scroll. News about amazon fixing that?

By the way, if someone is having the same problems, and hates to find so many PDFs with white annoying margins, you can use the tool BRISS. It is a small tool coded in java that let's you cut the margins and more stuff. It is really simple, fast and useful, try it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

However, I find a bit sad that Amazon doesn't have something like "paperback - ebook" program. Like if you buy a paperback book, you can buy the ebook for just 3 dollars more, but not the "full price". It happened to me with "Wizard: The life and times of Nikola Tesla". I paid 21€ for the book and now the price is 9€ for the ebook. I would be interesting if Amazon knows wich books you bought and then, get a discount on the ebook equivalent.

Husker86

So I love my kindle and all that, but the PDF reader is quite bad. I mean, you have fixed zoom and fixed scroll. News about amazon fixing that?

By the way, if someone is having the same problems, and hates to find so many PDFs with white annoying margins, you can use the tool BRISS. It is a small tool coded in java that let's you cut the margins and more stuff. It is really simple, fast and useful, try it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

However, I find a bit sad that Amazon doesn't have something like "paperback - ebook" program. Like if you buy a paperback book, you can buy the ebook for just 3 dollars more, but not the "full price". It happened to me with "Wizard: The life and times of Nikola Tesla". I paid 21€ for the book and now the price is 9€ for the ebook. I would be interesting if Amazon knows wich books you bought and then, get a discount on the ebook equivalent.

That all comes back again to the price is set by the publisher for ebooks. Amazon already cuts their paperback prices down a bunch to be competitive, I don't think they could afford giving away ebooks at a loss to paperback purchasers.

Broke my 3rd gen Kindle keyboard.... thinkin about what to get, Fire or $80 cheapo kindle.

I don't feel like spending money again on cases. Sheez, Amazon must be making a KILLIN on all the case and sleeve stuff.

Broke my 3rd gen Kindle keyboard.... thinkin about what to get, Fire or $80 cheapo kindle.

I don't feel like spending money again on cases. Sheez, Amazon must be making a KILLIN on all the case and sleeve stuff.

Have you tried contacting amazon about the broken one? A good friend just broke his, called them up, and they replaced it completely. Probably worth giving it a shot.

Angst

Have you tried contacting amazon about the broken one? A good friend just broke his, called them up, and they replaced it completely. Probably worth giving it a shot.

As Clever Pun says, contact Amazon. Just look through this thread and you'll realize how helpful Amazon's customer service is.

deduce

I found it at MobileRead, it works for everything but the Kindle Touch.
To turn off the screensaver:

;debugOn (enter)
~disableScreensaver (enter)
;debugOff (enter)

To turn on the screensaver:

;debugOn (enter)
~resumeScreensaver (enter)
;debugOff (enter)
I didn't think battery life should be effected either, but I read somewhere that disabling the screensaver can reduce your battery to 3 days of life.

Hari Seldon

I broke my 2nd Gen Kindle by a short like 2 feet drop onto soft carpet with a case on. Somehow that fucked up the e-ink screen. So I went out and got a Kindle Touch at Target for $70 opened box. I don't know if I like the touch that much, but I like that the entire thing is smaller than my older kindle.

Snaku

Banned
Most studios tack on extra cost for that digital copy (which most don't use). I guess the book industry could do that but e-books are still a new thing that they have no idea how to really deal with. They are dumb and resistant to change in other words. But they are also smart, they want to get people used to paying a similar price for e-books as paper books.

And most studios also do a Blu-ray only release alongside it. The Blu+DC is usually a good value if you plan on buying the iTunes version as well. Better to pay $3-5 extra for the disc bundle, than pay $15 for the version on iTunes.

And most studios also do a Blu-ray only release alongside it. The Blu+DC is usually a good value if you plan on buying the iTunes version as well. Better to pay $3-5 extra for the disc bundle, than pay $15 for the version on iTunes.

I rarely see blu-ray only being sold alongside blu + combo. They still do dvd only releases though.

I don't really know why publishers don't do the combo. Could it be too complicated making sure the customer gets the format they need for their ereader? A movie's digital copy usually gives 2 choices iTunes or Windows Media. Every major e-book company either has a proprietary format or DRM. I imagine most publishers don't want to release DRM-less e-books in any form and they are too lazy to appease everyone. Maybe they think most customers just want one format or the other and don't see the monetary value of a combo. If I bought a combo book I'd probably just give the physical copy away. Maybe they are afraid of a lost sale. I don't know, they fucked up. They should've been looking to the movie industry as an example (never thought I'd say that) of how to deal with physical and digital media. Or maybe they did and thought it wasn't worth it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a friend bought his new kindle in to work. So much thinner/lighter than my kindle 3. The lighted case is very thin and doesn't add much bulk, whereas the one for my kindle 3 made it almost 3x thicker than the kindle on its own.

very nice.

The Amazon cover is great but it's too expensive for my taste. I do like the fact that it DOESN'T have a pouch on the inside while non-official covers often do. So unnecessary.

chiQ

I'm not sure what I would put into the pocket, so that wasn't a factor in my choice at all. The bare bezel, slim design, it being leather, and the light are the big ones. I figure it's going to cost me a fortune anyway, as I have to use freight forwarding to get it here, so what the hell :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not sure if posted, but superb news for iPad owners who prefer not to be locked into iBooks but use any platform they want. Kinda sad that this is what their row with Apple boiled down to, still amazing execution. This should be the final nail in the iBookstore coffin.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/10/amazon-launches-ipad-kindle-store-on-the-web-feels-like-a-native-app/

Amazon launches iPad Kindle Store on the web, feels like a native app
Amazon today launched touch-optimized Kindle Store for iPad as a standalone web app accessed through the iOS Safari browser. You may remember that the online retail giant released Kindle Cloud Reader in August —also a web app that works great on Apple’s tablet, but this is an entirely different experience. Available on the iPad at www.amazon.com/iPadKindleStore, the web interface totally feels like a native app. It is smooth, natural and supports familiar touch gestures, like swiping left and right to brows the store’s virtual shelves. The design calls for big cover images, large buttons and elegant typeface that’s easy on the eyes, unlike some other HTML5 web apps that feel cluttered on a 9.7-inch screen and cause eye strain…

amazon-ipad-kindle-store-on-the-web.jpg

I ended up paying $65 bux for a replacement. Pretty solid service, but I still think they can be a bit fragile (didn't drop it hard or anything). I'll just leave it home more and take old-fashioned comparatively indestructible paper books with me on the road from now on.

chiQ

This is why I'm so antsy about getting a case. I've heard too many stories about naked kindles dying on impact, even from small drops.

I ended up paying $65 bux for a replacement. Pretty solid service, but I still think they can be a bit fragile (didn't drop it hard or anything). I'll just leave it home more and take old-fashioned comparatively indestructible paper books with me on the road from now on.

At least it was better than paying full price, but sorry to hear you had to pay anything.

This is why I'm so antsy about getting a case. I've heard too many stories about naked kindles dying on impact, even from small drops.

I really like reading on a naked Kindle, so I just got a sleeve for travel, etc. Hopefully I don't regret it!

zychi

Banned
Is the kindle fire a viable option for textbooks? I need it mainly for statstic and accounting textbooks. I'm debating on picking one up if it is. Otherwise I'm going to get an iPad, but I'd rather not if I can use my amazon credit and get a fire for "free."

chiQ

Aside from neurotic fears of dropping it I also tend to hit the power button by mistake a lot when reading, because I'm prone to holding it in one hand, at the bottom. I think a case will stop this.

Otherwise, yeah, it's nice to hold without any covering.

zychi: I'd be more inclined to get an Android Tablet or an iPad than a Fire. If you've giving up the e-ink then get something decent! You can still install the Kindle app.

dralla

holy shit that is a great piece of software.

I wanted to get Dune but I was reading the reviews on Amazon and they're pretty down on the Kindle version? anyone have it? it is one of the more expensive kindle books so I'd like a little feedback

Fewr

Hello, I'm buying a keyboard kindle for myself and a cheapo kindle for my sister. What covers do you guys recommend? I looked at the first post, but couldn't find info regarding covers.

Nymerio

I find the official lighted cover the best. Most of the time I read in the evening and use the light a lot. And even during the day it's nice to have. If you're not happy with the light your getting just pull out the light from the cover and you're good.

Smithy C

I've got one of the 4th gen non-touch Kindles, and it looks like one of the e-ink spots on the screen has frozen. Now there's just a constant black spot in the middle of the screen. Anyone else had this? Is this the kind of thing Amazon will replace a Kindle for? It's not incredibly distracting, I can still read on it, but just wanted to know what can be done.

Top Bottom