• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

I've got one of the 4th gen non-touch Kindles, and it looks like one of the e-ink spots on the screen has frozen. Now there's just a constant black spot in the middle of the screen. Anyone else had this? Is this the kind of thing Amazon will replace a Kindle for? It's not incredibly distracting, I can still read on it, but just wanted to know what can be done.

Probably, give em a call or send an email.

Petrie

Banned
I've got one of the 4th gen non-touch Kindles, and it looks like one of the e-ink spots on the screen has frozen. Now there's just a constant black spot in the middle of the screen. Anyone else had this? Is this the kind of thing Amazon will replace a Kindle for? It's not incredibly distracting, I can still read on it, but just wanted to know what can be done.

They replaced my 3rd gen because I had it in a bag and it got crushed. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

chiQ

Hello, I'm buying a keyboard kindle for myself and a cheapo kindle for my sister. What covers do you guys recommend? I looked at the first post, but couldn't find info regarding covers.

All my research and interrogations pointed me to the Kindle lighted or non-lighted leather cover. I've ordered the lighted one. They're expensive, so they had better be the best!

ShyGuy

Sorry if this has been answered before but I'll ask anyway and hope for an answer.

On Kindle (I have a Kindle Touch Wifi), can you highlight a person's name...e.g. "Jones" and add a note like "Jenny's brother" and then that note is viewable on EVERY SINGLE MENTION of "Jones" in the book?

I can only manage to have the note viewable on the instance of "Jones" that I added the note to, but not other instances of "Jones" in the book...

is this possible?!?

Thanks in advance! :)

Fewr

All my research and interrogations pointed me to the Kindle lighted or non-lighted leather cover. I've ordered the lighted one. They're expensive, so they had better be the best!
Kindle lighted cover.
I find the official lighted cover the best. Most of the time I read in the evening and use the light a lot. And even during the day it's nice to have. If you're not happy with the light your getting just pull out the light from the cover and you're good.
Thanks for the help. I went for the official cover as well. Not lighted though, the price of the two kindles was expensive enough.

By the way, anyone been to this site?
http://www.ereaderiq.com/
It seems to be the appshopper equivalent for kindle books (sort of, there are no accounts, you enter your email and apparently receive notifications on price drops).
EDIT: oops! I just found the link in the op.

Benedict

Thank you for your tips on free books. Without it I would never have found this amazing author: Gregory Zorzos

Gregory Zorzos, a native Hellene, was born in Kallithea, Athens in Greece (Hellas) at 1958. Author and his research work have been distinguished by a lot of official organizations, and Ministries, in Greece and all over the world.
The author has published more than 4,150,000 books, ebooks, board games, DVDs, cdroms, DVDroms, music Audio CDs, MP3s, epubs, notation files, documentaries, etc
and many more are unpublished, about ancient and modern history in the fields of economics, technical, board games, martial arts, software, love affairs, feasibilities studies, research, case studies, learning languages, logodynamics, inner research etc.
As a reporter, from his teens, the author has written many articles in many newspapers, magazines etc. and was editor in chief in some of them.

read more of it on the links above, unless you are grumpy...

Curufinwe

Hello, I'm buying a keyboard kindle for myself and a cheapo kindle for my sister. What covers do you guys recommend? I looked at the first post, but couldn't find info regarding covers.

This case is awesome if you want the kindle to be unencumbered when you are actually holding it, and it's only $9 plus shipping. But I may have got the last one because it says out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZKK8EI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JLG-

I just received my Kindle Touch Lighted Case from Amazon and it is awesome. I love reading at night so this was perfect.

Help!

When I add books to a Collection on my Kindle, it removes them from the Home Screen and pops them in the Collection, acting like a folder. But my girlfriend's new Kindle adds them to the Collection AND leaves them on the Home Screen, making everything a little more cluttered. Any ideas?

So I'm just wondering about other people's experience with the Kindle Touch? I think there may be something wrong with mine. So basically my kindle locks up and crashes fairly often, specially if I'm trying to access the Kindle Store or the experimental browser. It also slows down to a crawl before this happens. Basically I know its coming because button presses don't register for a few seconds. I reset it each time it happens, because nothing else responds not even the home button, but that doesn't always work. The most recent time I reset it, it gave me a application failed to load or something a long those lines. All I got was a white screen with the black bar across the top.

It took resetting it 3 more times before it finally rebooted correctly. At this point this is happening almost every time I use my kindle. Which just doesn't seem right. I just contacted amazon customer support tonight. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with their Kindle Touch.

*edit* already heard back from Amazon and they had me call them and update the firmware on it manually. Since the Kindle was saying it was up to date but it wasn't. They seemed confident this should take care of all the issues, here's hoping.

Beez

Banned
bgiS2.png

S79Jt.png

Right clicking a document and having the option to auto-forward it without having to open Calibre sounds great. The mac version isn't ready yet, so I was able to test it out, but here is the PC version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000719931

Great little feature they've added. Makes sending books to the Kindle a snap!

JLG-

Am I just missing the details on what this update does? or is it just the "general improvements" line?

From Mobileread:
So, I looked through all of the patches and the kernel and the java classes and these are the significant changes (well, more significant than most of the changes which are just timestamps):
  • Now font support: Code2000 (not sure where it's used)
  • X-Ray updated to 1.1, I think it a pathway for support for more languages
  • TTS has a new event, TTS stopped (no use for the user)
  • A java debugging binary is removed from the system
  • Jailbreak is fixed. They've stopped using innerHTML in their javascript
  • MOBI image handling is sped up a bit
  • TTS volume is a slider instead of buttons

I noticed some improvements on the navigation. Everything seems a bit faster and more responsive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you disable underlined entries other people made?

My god is that annoying. Every time I see one of those I get angry. Especially because apparently people will see something underlined then underline it themselves in some sort of "thumbs up lol" gesture.

99% of the time they're underlining such inane bullshit as well. It works me up so much I almost want to make a blog "Dumb Shit People Underline In Kindle Books".

Anyhow, I searched everywhere in the options and couldn't see how to disable it.

My god is that annoying. Every time I see one of those I get angry. Especially because apparently people will see something underlined then underline it themselves in some sort of "thumbs up lol" gesture.

99% of the time they're underlining such inane bullshit as well. It works me up so much I almost want to make a blog "Dumb Shit People Underline In Kindle Books".

Anyhow, I searched everywhere in the options and couldn't see how to disable it.

Menu>Settings (page 2)> Popular Highlights: turn off.

JLG-

Are you using a Kindle Touch?

Go to Menu > Settings > Reading Options > Turn Off Popular Highlights

Benedict

Neil Gaiman's American Gods 10th Anniversary Edition is on sale for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YW4L5K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Should really pick this up even though I somehow have managed to start a Kindle backlog even though I just got it for Christmas.

Thanks for the tip. Bought it, even though I have the printed version (in Swedish).

Do any of you use Goodreads.com? I've started using it but have not added much of my books yet, (printed and digital). If you like you could add me.
Benedict

edit: I sent the link about the American Gods deal to my brother. For him the price was about $4 instead of $1.99. I guess that is because I have an US address linked to my amazon.com account and he has only his Swedish Address.
So not only can I get Special Offers but also a cheaper price on books.

I've started to get a problem with my wifi connection. My Kindle sometimes loses the wifi connection and can't find the wifi and a restart does not always help. Any guess why that happens? It can se many other wifi- networks, just not mine.

So is there any kind of (un)official support for Japanese dictionaries?

I think it depends on the version Kindle you have. As far as I have been able to discover, you can't change languages or dictionaries on the Touch (because it has only been released on the US), but the option should be available on other versions. I would say how to do it, but I have a Touch and so don't know yet!

Shurs

Using Calibre, I've now gotten all of my ePub files converted to .mobi and sent to Amazon to be stored in my Personal Document locker. It was a chore, but it will be worth it to be able to sync reading between my Kindle Keyboard, iPad and iPhone.

Good on Amazon for allowing us to do this.

Love my Kindle.

Thanks for the tip. Bought it, even though I have the printed version (in Swedish).

Do any of you use Goodreads.com? I've started using it but have not added much of my books yet, (printed and digital). If you like you could add me.
Benedict

edit: I sent the link about the American Gods deal to my brother. For him the price was about $4 instead of $1.99. I guess that is because I have an US address linked to my amazon.com account and he has only his Swedish Address.
So not only can I get Special Offers but also a cheaper price on books.

I've started to get a problem with my wifi connection. My Kindle sometimes loses the wifi connection and can't find the wifi and a restart does not always help. Any guess why that happens? It can se many other wifi- networks, just not mine.

Here's the NeoGaf group at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/19035.NeoGAF
Join up. :)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think it depends on the version Kindle you have. As far as I have been able to discover, you can't change languages or dictionaries on the Touch (because it has only been released on the US), but the option should be available on other versions. I would say how to do it, but I have a Touch and so don't know yet!

I have the non-touch Kindle. Are you getting one?

Ecto311

Using Calibre, I've now gotten all of my ePub files converted to .mobi and sent to Amazon to be stored in my Personal Document locker. It was a chore, but it will be worth it to be able to sync reading between my Kindle Keyboard, iPad and iPhone.

Good on Amazon for allowing us to do this.

Love my Kindle.

I have asked this before but do the files in the amazon personal document area sync between the iphone and kindle? When I asked before the answer was that you have access but they don't sync to the last page read. Not sure how that would work if it did since the iphone has a smaller screen and font sizes.

Shurs

I have asked this before but do the files in the amazon personal document area sync between the iphone and kindle? When I asked before the answer was that you have access but they don't sync to the last page read. Not sure how that would work if it did since the iphone has a smaller screen and font sizes.

Personal Documents sync to last page read between all devices.

You just need to make sure to first sync on the device on which you've read the furthest.

Meier

Damn, does anyone know if they removed the ability to add files to your Kindle iPad/iPhone/etc. apps? Used to be you could select the app under the "file sharing" section and then drag them in but I can't seem to do that any more...

Fou-Lu

I got a Kindle for Christmas and it is pretty awesome, read more this month alone than I have in months. Still kinda miss the feel and smell of a real book though.

Meier

Ohh, I just tried it with my iPhone too and was all bummed since I couldn't drag the file over either but it looks like at some point they included an "add" button instead which pulls up an explorer window. Good stuff.

despire

How is reading PDF files on a Kindle? I'm intrigued to buy the basic model and in addition to books I would be reading my school notes which are PDF if I download them from my schools website. Would be great to study on the buss etc when theres nothing else to do..

How is reading PDF files on a Kindle? I'm intrigued to buy the basic model and in addition to books I would be reading my school notes which are PDF if I download them from my schools website. Would be great to study on the buss etc when theres nothing else to do..

I would like to know this too. Can you make notes? And sticky them onto certain pages? Can you highlight?

Also, the OP mentions you can get kindles with or without ads, what exactly are they like? Do they pop up on the bottom of the window or what? (that would be awful)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

bit crappy unless they're formatted for the kindle. Eg for Japanese books Kindle doesn't have font support, but you can convert them to pdf. If you convert them so they're kindle page sized, then its fine (albeit page turns are a little slower).

For larger pdfs you have to zoom and scroll. And scrolling on a kindle is bad news. I wouldn't use it for any length of time.

Two alternatives - look up a kindle DX which is larger and more suited to viewing A4 sized pdfs without scrolling. Or an ipad which is amazing for pdfs, but not great for extended reading sessions.

Top Bottom