• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

I would like to know this too. Can you make notes? And sticky them onto certain pages? Can you highlight?

Also, the OP mentions you can get kindles with or without ads, what exactly are they like? Do they pop up on the bottom of the window or what? (that would be awful)

They are on the main book selection screen and as screensavers, never in-book.

GlQvY.gif

XDhnr.jpg

Angst

Oh that's kind of awful. So do they pop up in your book shelf? Or just the store?

Ads are only displayed when the screen is off. I.e. instead of a picture of a dead author you'll get a picture of a new car / deal on Amazon etc.

Edit - and apparently on the main page of the Kindle.

I have a Kindle Touch with ads, and I find them completely unoffensive and worth the cost savings. They never show up while reading, no matter how long the session is, and are easily ignored when it's screensaver mode or while on the home page.

My recommendation is to get the one with ads, and if they really start to get on your nerves, pay the difference and have them removed at a later date.

I have a Kindle Touch with ads, and I find them completely unoffensive and worth the cost savings. They never show up while reading, no matter how long the session is, and are easily ignored when it's screensaver mode or while on the home page.

My recommendation is to get the one with ads, and if they really start to get on your nerves, pay the difference and have them removed at a later date.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info guys!

Will probably be buying one soon.

Ecto311

Personal Documents sync to last page read between all devices.

You just need to make sure to first sync on the device on which you've read the furthest.

Ok thanks for the heads up - was under the impression that the sync was auto but I had to do it manually on the actual kindle and the iPhone app doesn't seem to have a setting for auto or not

Somnid

Is it weird that I actually like the ads?

The ads aren't bad at all. Basically every time you pick it up after not using it you get treated to a magazine style ad (also note that the menu ad does not animate or change while on the menu). There's actually been quite a few good ones too, the kind I'd subscribe to if they came in email but they're Kindle exclusive. They actually did a really good job with it.

bob page

The ads aren't bad at all. Basically every time you pick it up after not using it you get treated to a magazine style ad (also note that the menu ad does not animate or change while on the menu). There's actually been quite a few good ones too, the kind I'd subscribe to if they came in email but they're Kindle exclusive. They actually did a really good job with it.

Yeah, I actually took advantage of several deals that I saw on mine. It helps that many of the deals are exclusive to people with special offers.

Yeah, I actually took advantage of several deals that I saw on mine. It helps that many of the deals are exclusive to people with special offers.

They also include Amazon local ads, which can result in some nice groupon style deals for businesses in your area (I'm not sure what areas have this, and it may be US only)

despire

Just ordered the regular model and leather cover from Amazon. 172€ total after taxes. A bit steep but decided to grab it anyway :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I got the Kindle Touch for Christmas and I'm loving it. I'm currently trying to talk my wife into getting either a Touch or the $79 Kindle.
I hated the $79 Kindle. Doesn't feel right at all. Having to use the nob for typing was too much for me once I started posting stuff on Facebook. The upgrade is well worth it.

Ecto311

Alright y'all I need a new book to read. Aiming for Sci-fi or fantasy (ideally good)...what do y'all suggest?

Perdidio street station? First book I read in a long time since I just got my kindle and I can't stop - steam punk sci-fi new weird - awesome though

Pollux

Perdidio street station? First book I read in a long time since I just got my kindle and I can't stop - steam punk sci-fi new weird - awesome though

I'll look into this, after perusing the "What are you reading thread" I've decided on

JohnLeCarre_TinkerTailorSoldierSpy.jpg

Beez

Banned
Just got a Kindle for Christmas and so glad I found this thread! Great info in here thanks guys. Finally caught up reading it.

chiQ

despire

You guys wanna recommend me some old and new classics and your own favorite books to read when I get my Kindle on friday? I used to read a lot but not so much on recent years. I expect it to pick up when I can more easily read on the bus etc with my new toy :)

I guess I need to check some TOP100 Books to Read -list and start reading because there's a lot of classics I haven't touched :/

Checking the OP's links atm..

You guys wanna recommend me some old and new classics and your own favorite books to read when I get my Kindle on friday? I used to read a lot but not so much on recent years. I expect it to pick up when I can more easily read on the bus etc with my new toy :)

I guess I need to check some TOP100 Books to Read -list and start reading because there's a lot of classics I haven't touched :/

Checking the OP's links atm..

Check out the top 100 best selling free books if you are looking for classics. I've read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (though I wish I had started with one of the novels) and A Journey to the Interior of the Earth (this version from gutenberg.org. I started reading the version on Amazon, but wasn't enjoying it. When I found out it was a rewrite into English, and not a translation of the original, I picked up this version instead and enjoyed it a lot more).

Or, if you are a fantasy fan, give William Morris' The Well at the World's End a try.
M3yUF.jpg

The language is intentionally archaic, but it's really great and is considered to be a huge influence on the Lord of the Rings.

Clever Pun said:
Check out the top 100 best selling free books if you are looking for classics. I've read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (though I wish I had started with one of the novels)
Would I be correct in thinking the reason "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is always the top Holmes book is because it sounds like the most obvious title, whereas people might not know to give "A Study in Scarlet" a second glance? It's probably what I'd have assumed if I didn't ask Wikipedia where to start.

Would I be correct in thinking the reason "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is always the top Holmes book is because it sounds like the most obvious title, whereas people might not know to give "A Study in Scarlet" a second glance? It's probably what I'd have assumed if I didn't ask Wikipedia where to start.

Yes, that would be my guess. I enjoyed reading it a lot, but it definitely seems like the wrong place to start if (like me) you haven't read any of them before. I'm really looking forward to reading "A Study in Scarlet" in the next few months.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yes, that would be my guess. I enjoyed reading it a lot, but it definitely seems like the wrong place to start if (like me) you haven't read any of them before. I'm really looking forward to reading "A Study in Scarlet" in the next few months.

Yep. It is full of stories and huge, I read a couple here and there between other books, and I am still only about half way through it. Its excellent to get your mind refreshed between books.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, new Kindle 4 user here in Canada.

I want to subscribe to NY Times newspaper, but there is no "transfer via computer" option with the subscription, only wireless. So there is no way to buy a monthly subscription and transfer the paper via usb? Only way seems to be to buy the individual papers which is 2x the cost.

despire

UPS doods are out to deliver my Kindle!

I was wondering about the Song of Ice and Fire -books since many seemed to have problems with them. That there were typos etc but apparently they released an updated version? So is it safe to buy now and where should I buy it?

What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JN1D2I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And do you guys still use Calibre or is there something else available too?

Edit:
My Kindle says its firmware is 4.0.1. I was just wondering this since the OP only mentions firmware 3.2.x as the newest. Apparently there's not a screensaver hack for this one yet?

chiQ

I was wondering about the Song of Ice and Fire -books since many seemed to have problems with them. That there were typos etc but apparently they released an updated version? So is it safe to buy now and where should I buy it?

I bought all of the Ice & Fire books individually from Amazon, and they're fine. Very few errors. Certainly no more than most ebooks on that sort of scale. If a corrected edition is released you will be emailed, so you can update.

I don't think Calibre has any real competition. I always used IsiloX and Isilo on my palmtops, but I honestly haven't tried that with my Kindle yet. It is an excellent package, and does similar things, but nothing more than Calibre.

What about this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JN1D2I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And do you guys still use Calibre or is there something else available too?

Edit:
My Kindle says its firmware is 4.0.1. I was just wondering this since the OP only mentions firmware 3.2.x as the newest. Apparently there's not a screensaver hack for this one yet?

I have the same bundle and I don't have problems with it. The maps are a bit too small but you can download bigger ones and watch them on the kindle.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Calibre is the way to go due to support if nothing else. It gets updated constantly and does just about everything you would want.

As to Ice and Fire, I just finished the third and I would say each of the books had a handful of errors at most. No more than you would expect in any normal book.

despire

Maybe I'll buy the Ice and Fire book set then. Wasn't it possible to separate them in Calibre?

And what about the jailbreak & custom screensavers for 4.0.1 firmware? I'd really like to put my custom pictures on but I guess it's not yet possible?

idwl

Hey, just wondering if I get one. Would I be able to purchase books from amazon while I'm overseas(middle east) with a non-US credit card?

Pachimari

I'm just worried about the build quality, if it'll break if I drop it, and what I'll do if it happens.

I wish Kindle Touch would come to Europe. :/

Check out the top 100 best selling free books...

PAY SOME MONEY DARNIT. I never understand why people aren't willing to pay money for books...

I mean, consider how many books you read yearly or even in your lifetime. For most people, not a whole lot. And consider the potential impact a book can have on your thinking, your knowledge, your life.

Now why cheap out on something like that? Save money on food or vacation.

(Not to say there aren't good free books. There are. But why restrict yourself?)

Fewr

If you read a lot, the experience of reading on the Kindle is substantially better than the iPad app.
True.

I'm just worried about the build quality, if it'll break if I drop it, and what I'll do if it happens.

I wish Kindle Touch would come to Europe. :/
I bought a keyboard kindle a week ago. Yesterday I was trying to put it in the inside pocket of my coat next to my chest, I accidentally let it fall to the floor and nothing happened.
It's got the official cover btw.

chiQ

Yes, I think the trick is to use a good case. I'm still waiting for mine to come, and it freaks me out. I handle it like it's an egg.

The Touch isn't out in NZ either, so I got mine freight-forwarded from the US. I'm quite happy with the idea of this when it's protected, but without a cover it gives me the willies.

PAY SOME MONEY DARNIT. I never understand why people aren't willing to pay money for books...

I mean, consider how many books you read yearly or even in your lifetime. For most people, not a whole lot. And consider the potential impact a book can have on your thinking, your knowledge, your life.

Now why cheap out on something like that? Save money on food or vacation.

(Not to say there aren't good free books. There are. But why restrict yourself?)

But if you haven't read books like Oliver Twist, or the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, or the Count of Monte Cristo, etc, etc. why not get the free version? I absolutely buy books, especially favorites, but I also don't have any problem getting books via the library, or the free classics for my Kindle.

Checking books out from the library for free also encourages me to sample a wider variety of books, whereas I would be more conservative in my selection if I had to pay for everything.

Cheebo

Banned
If you read a lot, the experience of reading on the Kindle is substantially better than the iPad app.

The experience will likely be quite a bit better compared to where it is currently when iPad 3 releases with 4x the higher resolution that it is at currently.

The experience will likely be quite a bit better compared to where it is currently when iPad 3 releases with 4x the higher resolution that it is at currently.

Perhaps, but that won't resolve my two biggest problems with extended reading on the iPad: eye-strain and weight.

Top Bottom