• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

AndyD

aka andydumi
But I won't buy a case if I buy a Kindle. I'll only have it at home anyway. I don't cover my iPad, iPhone etc. as well.

The kindle is very light and very thin by itself, I find that using a cover gives it the feel of a book and makes reading a lot more satisfying. Unlike a tablet or a phone it gets a lot less manhandling though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The experience will likely be quite a bit better compared to where it is currently when iPad 3 releases with 4x the higher resolution that it is at currently.

I don't have a problem with the current ipad resolution. Its the backlight that annoys me, especially after a day at work in front of a computer. Kindle is only 800x600 but looks great, plus the e-ink.

ipad is my go-to device for pdfs though.

Chesskid1

Banned
NYTgx.jpg

arrived in my mailbox today.

article here

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/amazons-hit-man-01252012.html

haven't read it yet but i'm sure someone will enjoy it, will read it in a bit.

edit: pretty good article.

Pachimari

Nah, i think I'll be fine with just a Kindle. Won't buy a cover. If it gets scratches and such then so be it, it doesn't bother me. :)

http://i.imgur.com/NYTgx.jpg

arrived in my mailbox today.

article here

[url]http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/amazons-hit-man-01252012.html[/url]

haven't read it yet but i'm sure someone will enjoy it, will read it in a bit.

edit: pretty good article.[/QUOTE]Can I get it on kindle?

Pachimari

How am I able to get a Kindle Touch if I live in Europe?
Which features won't function on it, if I import somehow?

Edit: Don't mind, I found out you can actually import a Kindle Touch to Europe through a third party.

Pachimari

I clearly want a Kindle Touch but as that's twice the price of the Kindle 4, as I have to go through a third party, then I don't think it'll be worth it - I'll probably just go order the basic Kindle 4 sometime next week.

Ecto311

Anyone have a ghosting problem with the newer kindle? I was having it worse and worse but got the 4.0.1 update from amazon installed and it helps a lot. Seems like the screen was not clearing as well without it.

Esiquio

Good to know but mine is the 4 - has no keyboard. I don't think the update I mentioned is for the 3 either.

I did see that you have the 4 in your post, but I've never gone hands-on with that model so I wasn't certain if the ghosting option was available in any capacity or not. Sorry!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have a question before I purchase one... can Kindle read Chinese books ? I am in Canada if that helps answer the question.

JLG-

Anyone have a ghosting problem with the newer kindle? I was having it worse and worse but got the 4.0.1 update from amazon installed and it helps a lot. Seems like the screen was not clearing as well without it.

You could change the page refresh settings to refresh after every page turn. It's in the reading options.

Ecto311

You could change the page refresh settings to refresh after every page turn. It's in the reading options.

That is part of the reason I was posting - my kindle 4 was on firmware 4 not 4.0.1 and that newer firmware gives the option for flashing every page. The flashing does seem to have fixed the ghosting of letters too. Before the update it would even ghost on the full screen ads.

Thanks for that link. Lots of good information.

Was I the only one that didn't you could open the search box by pressing the spacebar in reading mode? I'd tried to look up Kindle hotkeys to find a way to search more quickly and was frustrated that there didn't seem to be a way to do it without three button presses. I'm going to be using this trick quite a bit.

Jump to Author or Title: <first letter> then click or press ENTER when in Author or Title sort order respectively.
is something else I didn't know that will be very useful.

Pachimari

Any estimated date for, when Kindle Touch becomes available internationally from Amazon?
How long was the gap with Kindle 3 (Keyboard) ?

zchen

I have a question before I purchase one... can Kindle read Chinese books ? I am in Canada if that helps answer the question.

Yes. There are also hacks to improve the font. I find it better if I convert the encoding to UTF8 instead of GB/Big5, and then use Calibre to convert the txt file to epub to load to kindle. Sometimes if you load it as straight txt the Kindle gives a access error, I don't know what cause it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Just got a new Oberon Design Cover for my Dads Kindle 4 ..really nice smaller size makes it lighter but still great feel and quality to the leather.
TQM8R.jpg
qv8Ct.jpg

I'm going to get myself a Kindle case here today. Is the official one good enough for a non-touch Kindle user? Heard some rumblings that it's difficult to do page turns with the official case, since it hides away the buttons.

Is there any validity to this, or another case better then the official one?

chiQ

Sweet. I wonder what the enhanced features are. Thanks for the tip. :)

It says on the product page:

Amazon said:
A stunning enhanced edition of the hugely popular and highly acclaimed epic fantasy, featuring an interactive map tracking main characters’ journeys, audio extracts of key scenes and a hyperlinked character glossary.

DiscoJer

Anyone else always lose wifi access? Happens a lot to me, requires restarting a few times.

kindle 4 wifi.

I've got a Kindle 3 (er, Kindle Keyboard) and the wi-fi has always sucked. PCs, PSP, DS all have no problems with the Wi-Fi. Kindle? almost never and when it does work it quits a lot.

eLGee

Quick question... will all the purchases I made on Kindle for iPad be there on a proper Kindle if I decide to purchase one? Or do I have to buy books all over again?

JLG-

Quick question... will all the purchases I made on Kindle for iPad be there on a proper Kindle if I decide to purchase one? Or do I have to buy books all over again?

Yes. They'll be there. They're tied to your amazon account.

Top Bottom