• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sounds good. It's utterly flabbergasting that Apple managed to get the publishers under their thumb when iBook sales has to be a miniscule part of total ebook sales

You have things mixed up here.

Publishers were always unhappy with Amazon's pricing rules. They constantly asked Amazon to let them set prices. Apple offered them the pricing rules they wanted. Publishers then turned to Amazon and used Apple's willingness to fold as leverage to renegotiate with Amazon.

AndyD

aka andydumi
You have things mixed up here.

Publishers were always unhappy with Amazon's pricing rules. They constantly asked Amazon to let them set prices. Apple offered them the pricing rules they wanted. Publishers then turned to Amazon and used Apple's willingness to fold as leverage to renegotiate with Amazon.

This is correct, but I bet the collusion argument comes from the Apple terms that the publisher is not allowed to sell for less elsewhere. Which can be seen as anti-competitive.

The collusion probably does not arise from the agency model itself. I bet you Amazon and others would have no issue with the agency model if they could each work individual deals with the publishers. This way the publishers' hands are ties by their dealings with Apple. And no other seller can negotiate anything better.

chiQ

Lol, that's your call and I think the risk is pretty small. I did get the email about validating my addresses though so they are running some checks.

Good to know :)

Re. the pricing thing, you can't even buy ebooks via iBooks in NZ, so the Apple model has never impacted us, but Amazon does rock.

My mother has a Kobo, and I'm planning to buy her and her husband a kindle each over the next few months, just to stop the pain. It's a real hassle for them, as many of the major booksellers don't accept her credit card, possible because it's a kiwi one. Not sure. I want them using Kindle ASAP.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just got my first Kindle in the mail. eink is better than I'd hoped.

So I got the one with ads. But they only show up full screen in sleep mode. Is there any reason to ever even put the thing in sleep mode though? Doesn't it not run down the battery just the same when it's left on a page or the home screen?

Edit: Oh, never mind. I see now that the thing automatically goes to sleep mode after a couple minutes. Good to know.

Just got my first Kindle in the mail. eink is better than I'd hoped.

So I got the one with ads. But they only show up full screen in sleep mode. Is there any reason to ever even put the thing in sleep mode though? Doesn't it not run down the battery just the same when it's left on a page or the home screen?

Edit: Oh, never mind. I see now that the thing automatically goes to sleep mode after a couple minutes. Good to know.

Yeah, I don't find the ads to be annoying since I have a case. Worth the extra money you can save.

Ecto311

Yes. The writing style is pretty amazing, although it's been aped quite a bit since it came out.

How the hell are authors supposed to make any money at $.25 a copy though?

They are making .25 more than they would from a torrent. Sucks for them but it has to be more convenient for us to buy then steal sometimes. Also someone like me will pay because I am bearly interested - not even interested enough to steal this book but I'll lock it in my amazon account for a quarter.

TheSailerman

Neo Member
How the hell are authors supposed to make any money at $.25 a copy though?

From what I understand, the authors and publishers don't lose out when Amazon, Google, and the like run deals like this. The retailers pay publishers a set price per "copy" of an ebook sold - so they still get their $5 or whatever was agreed upon - while Amazon or Google takes the hit on the difference.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My Kindle is under the impression that I might be interested in a discount on some scuba diving lessons...

In Milwaukee...

I...

ib0OwqDUaSRpzx.jpg

Benedict

A book called: We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance is available for $0.99.

If this story of espionage and survival were a novel, readers might dismiss the Shackleton-like exploits of its hero as too fantastic to be taken seriously. But respected historian David Howarth confirmed the details of Jan Baalsrud's riveting tale. It begins in the spring of 1943, with Norway occupied by the Nazis and the Allies desperate to open the northern sea lanes to Russia. Baalsrud and three compatriots plan to smuggle themselves into their homeland by boat, spend the summer recruiting and training resistance fighters, and launch a surprise attack on a German air base. But he's betrayed shortly after landfall, and a quick fight leaves Baalsrud alone and trapped on a freezing island above the Arctic Circle. He's poorly clothed (one foot is entirely bare), has a head start of only a few hundred yards on his Nazi pursuers, and leaves a trail of blood as he crosses the snow. How he avoids capture and ultimately escapes--revealing that much spoils nothing in this white-knuckle narrative--is astonishing stuff. Baalsrud's feats make the travails in Jon Krakauer's Mt. Everest classic Into Thin Air look like child's play. In an introduction, Stephen Ambrose calls We Die Alone a rare reading experience: "a book that I absolutely cannot put down until I've finished it and one that I can never forget." This amazing book will disappoint no one. --John J. Miller

51%2BHsterydL._SS500_.jpg

LiQuid!

This might be a little melodramatic, but after having a Kindle for almost a full week I'm gonna go ahead and say it has changed my life.

LiQuid!

How so? Reading more?

Definitely reading a whole lot more. There's easy, obvious reasons, like trading out oft cumbersome books for a light device I can hold comfortably in either hand that makes me more excited to be reading just by nature of using it.

The real reason is more intangible and a lot harder to explain without sounding like a nutbag. I have a bit of ADD so while I love reading my mind likes to wander a lot while I'm doing it. I've got a ton of books on my shelf that I've read as much as 3/4 of the way through yet not finished for reasons I can't even explain and for some reason I haven't experienced that with the Kindle. I'm even reading through two books at the same time now on this thing (three if you count jumping around the collection of Poe stories I've been doing), and the thought of doing that is unimaginable for me a week ago.

It has kind of become the book equivalent of the revelation that was tabbed browsing was when I first discovered it so many years ago.

Definitely reading a whole lot more. There's easy, obvious reasons, like trading out oft cumbersome books for a light device I can hold comfortably in either hand that makes me more excited to be reading just by nature of using it.

The real reason is more intangible and a lot harder to explain without sounding like a nutbag. I have a bit of ADD so while I love reading my mind likes to wander a lot while I'm doing it. I've got a ton of books on my shelf that I've read as much as 3/4 of the way through yet not finished for reasons I can't even explain and for some reason I haven't experienced that with the Kindle. I'm even reading through two books at the same time now on this thing (three if you count jumping around the collection of Poe stories I've been doing), and the thought of doing that is unimaginable for me a week ago.

It has kind of become the book equivalent of the revelation that was tabbed browsing was when I first discovered it so many years ago.

You're still in the honeymoon period with it. I felt the same way when I first got mine, but I quickly reverted back to my douchey self. :)

LiQuid!

At the absolute very least, because of the Kindle I have already read through the majority of a book that I wouldn't have ever considered previously (Tony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential) and that alone has been life changing.

If indeed it's just the honeymoon waiting to succumb to ADD-fueled laziness, I'll still have read more in the last week than I have in the years since the last Harry Potter book came out haha.

Thoughts on Readiblity vs. Instapaper? I used Instapaper in the past but I really would like to have this single "send to kindle" feature (yes, I know about klip).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Basic Q but is there a list of kindle commands somewhere online? I noticed I skipped ahead a chapter and don't know how I did it heh.

.hacked

Just got my wife a new iPad, anyone interested in a 3 month old kindle fire with this snazzy case:

51lDrgocvsL.jpg

I throw in the case and a USB cable. $175 shipped in the US. I take PayPal, pm me.

jonremedy

I just ordered my second Kindle. The first one's (3rd generation keyboard) screen got destroyed when I travelled home for christmas.

The thing I'm wondering if I chose right going with the standard Kindle with the 4-way button, or if I should have gone with the Kindle Touch. I know from the previous Kindle that I mainly read books on it anyways, so I'm not sure what purpose the touch-screen would have for me. At the same time I'm wondering if anyone who's used both types could weigh in on if having the Touch have changed their Kindle-using habits or not. Anyone?

LProtag

I just ordered my second Kindle. The first one's (3rd generation keyboard) screen got destroyed when I travelled home for christmas.

The thing I'm wondering if I chose right going with the standard Kindle with the 4-way button, or if I should have gone with the Kindle Touch. I know from the previous Kindle that I mainly read books on it anyways, so I'm not sure what purpose the touch-screen would have for me. At the same time I'm wondering if anyone who's used both types could weigh in on if having the Touch have changed their Kindle-using habits or not. Anyone?

I've only had a Touch. I really enjoy being able to highlight passages as well as hold my finger down over a word if I want a quick definition.

LiQuid!

Looked into putting custom screensavers on my K4NT and holy shit I might as well try to hack the Gibson. Why is Amazon so tight assed about something so trivial?

jayb

Looked into putting custom screensavers on my K4NT and holy shit I might as well try to hack the Gibson. Why is Amazon so tight assed about something so trivial?
Yeah its strange. The nook simple touch even can have custom screensavers without hacking. Why not kindle, Amazon? :/

LiQuid!

Thanks.

I don't really highlight, and definition-lookup works fine with the 4-way button. I guess I'll keep my order as is.

Maybe it's just being a generally greasy dude but the thought of having my grimy, ball-infested fingers all over my Kindle is off-putting.

Also, doesn't the touch lack the page turn buttons on the sides? That would be a deal break in and of itself.

Yeah its strange. The nook simple touch even can have custom screensavers without hacking. Why not kindle, Amazon? :/
I'm like a hundred million percent positive it has to do with the ad supported feature of the Kindle, but it's still pretty inexcusable for them not to unlock the device completely after it's made a full model. Especially since they're otherwise so open with the damn thing, what with its source code freely available and shit. Makes no sense man.

bangai-o

Banned
what is hack the Gibson?

i think i want to also put some custom screensavers on my K3. Right now the stupid diaper add is getting on my nerves. I dont have kids damit.

LiQuid!

what is hack the Gibson?

i think i want to also put some custom screensavers on my K3. Right now the stupid diaper add is getting on my nerves. I dont have kids damit.

It's a reference to the best movie of all time, Hackers.

Also, your Kindle wants you to be a good little consumer and BREED!

Owensboro

Thanks.

I don't really highlight, and definition-lookup works fine with the 4-way button. I guess I'll keep my order as is.

I've only had the 4-way button version of the Kindle but I can at least weigh in. The only time I wish I had touch or a keyboard is when I need to use the on screen keyboard, which happens very rarely. I only ever want to use it when 1) I want to get to a specific page, 2) when typing in new wireless router information, or 3) if I ever want to look for a book in the Kindle store on the Kindle. Highlighting a word for a definition or underlining a sentence is really easy to do and I guess adds only a few seconds over having touch. Also, I buy all my books through the computer anyway, so the kindle store doesn't become a problem.

If you've ever used a controller to browse through menus it's like that. It's not the best solution and can be "time consuming" (meaning a minute or so), but you end up using it so rarely I think it's worth the price trade off.

chiQ

what is hack the Gibson?

Give them more money and get the ads disabled.

It would be nice to put custom images into the screensaver thingie on my ad-free Touch though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
what is hack the Gibson?

I dont really want custom screensavers, but I do agree the ads are not targeted properly. I don't want to see "get prime" ads when I have prime already. I also dont want to see philadelphia hair and nails salon ads when I live in Nashville. Amazon does not have this down at all.

JB1981

Is there a way to set up my kindle devices in such a way that if I download/buy something on my kindle it will automatically download/sync to my iphone?

Top Bottom