• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Someone at work has just bought a Kindle 4 and I'm strangely tempted to sell my Kindle keyboard 3G and pick up a Kindle 4 WiFi.

Am I insane?

I don't use 3G and I tend to buy all of my content via the web site.

Nah I don't think so. I love the form factor of the new ones a hell of a lot more than the previous gens. Go for it!

Pachimari

I just got home to my very first Kindle (Touch), but isn't there a way to sort it, so that e "Welcome", "Kindle's User Guide", "My Clippings", "Archived Items" etc aren't in the list with my books? Also, can I remove what is in my Archived list?

Anastacio said:
I just got home to my very first Kindle (Touch), but isn't there a way to sort it, so that e "Welcome", "Kindle's User Guide", "My Clippings", "Archived Items" etc aren't in the list with my books? Also, can I remove what is in my Archived list?
You can hide them a bit. At the top of the main screen should be some sorting/arrangement choices. Make sure things are sorted by collection, then stick those things into a collection, and instead of so many separate items you'll just see one that's "Kindle Files (3)" or whatever.

Your archived list is just all the things you own but that aren't currently on your device, so deleting them would generally be a bad thing. I did once want to clear out a freebie I'd downloaded just for test purposes, though. You can do it on the web at the Manage My Kindle area.

Pachimari

You can hide them a bit. At the top of the main screen should be some sorting/arrangement choices. Make sure things are sorted by collection, then stick those things into a collection, and instead of so many separate items you'll just see one that's "Kindle Files (3)" or whatever.

Your archived list is just all the things you own but that aren't currently on your device, so deleting them would generally be a bad thing. I did once want to clear out a freebie I'd downloaded just for test purposes, though. You can do it on the web at the Manage My Kindle area.

Thanks!

It's because I have an Oxford Dictionary in my Archived, but it's already on my Kindle.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
After enjoying my Kindle 3 for well over a year now, I purchased the Kindle 4 for my girlfriend as a Valentine's day gift. At $79, you can't beat the price or value you get in one of these devices.

I decided against the Kindle Touch since fingerprints would drive me crazy, and after playing with it, it seemed clunky and slow.

I really like the Kindle 4. It's lack of keyboard can be frustrating at times, but the machine is beautiful, quick, light and very compact. When I offered to remove the Amazin deals onthe Kindle, my girlfriend insisted she prefers the great deals over custom screen-savers.

Amazon hit the nail on the head with this one. Still, I think I much prefer my Kindle 3 (keyboard) due to the fact that I am a heavy note taker and love the added battery and storage.

chiQ

Fingerprints? My Touch doesn't show fingerprints. I guess if I used it with chicken grease on my hands it might, but I've never wiped my screen, and the only marks I can find are from where a water droplet dried on it this morning.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
After enjoying my Kindle 3 for well over a year now, I purchased the Kindle 4 for my girlfriend as a Valentine's day gift. At $79, you can't beat the price or value you get in one of these devices.

I decided against the Kindle Touch since fingerprints would drive me crazy, and after playing with it, it seemed clunky and slow.

I really like the Kindle 4. It's lack of keyboard can be frustrating at times, but the machine is beautiful, quick, light and very compact. When I offered to remove the Amazin deals onthe Kindle, my girlfriend insisted she prefers the great deals over custom screen-savers.

Amazon hit the nail on the head with this one. Still, I think I much prefer my Kindle 3 (keyboard) due to the fact that I am a heavy note taker and love the added battery and storage.

Yeah, it really doesn't show finger prints, but you can't go wrong.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This would be really nice when reading magazines like The Economist which use a lot of graphs. The WSJ also does the same, and to be honest, I've really wanted this for a while now.

I have to agree, I don't think it would be worth the extra cost. Until the tech is better and cheaper, I would keep it out of the Kindle.

Color e-ink is cool but it's of newspaper quality so it won't be particularly bright, unless they've improved it. I'm more interested in higher resolution e-ink then I am color. I know they developed a 300 ppi display last year and we haven't heard anything since.

Blackhead

Redarse
Digitimes rumor says color e-ink Kindle coming . Do want if true.

The Digital Reader debunks that rumor:

Update: My source just now checked his email (it’s a holiday) and called me. This is absolutely not true. It is a complete and utter fiction. In fact, I have been told that Amazon couldn’t be shipping a color E-ink Kindle for at lest the next year.  That’s how long it would take to set up  production line, which hasn’t happened yet.

E-ink has reportedly been ready to make the Triton screens for some years now, but it wasn’t until last summer that the screen finally hit the market in China. This was the 9.7″ Triton screen, not 6″. The same device has recently started shipping in the US and Russia as the Ectaco Jetbook Color.

I have a Jetbook Color, and I really hope that the Kindle Color doesn’t have a screen that is as gray as on this ereader. This isn’t a light gray like you might expect on one of E-ink’s screens; it’s more like a medium to dark gray. It’s actually darker than the screen on the original Kindle.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

According to the Economic Daily News (EPD) Chinese newspaper, the Kindle is definitely sticking around and will get an update later this year with a color display.

EPD believes that E Ink Holdings has received an order from Amazon for 6-inch color E Ink displays. Those screens will begin shipping to Amazon no later than March, suggesting we could see a Kindle refresh around the middle of the year. It’s no small order either, with 3 million displays shipping every month going forward.

geek.com
I'm not convinced the technology is up to snuff yet. I'll be waiting until it's a bit more mature before jumping in.

mandiller

How am I able to get a Kindle Touch if I live in Europe?
Which features won't function on it, if I import somehow?

Edit: Don't mind, I found out you can actually import a Kindle Touch to Europe through a third party.

Amazon is selling the Kindle Touch internationally now so you can just order from them.

legend166

Is there a way for me to buy from the US store if I'm in Australia?

I really don't appreciate regional pricing with 80% markups.

Alternatively, would a GAFer be able to gift to me and then I can pay via PayPal like we do with Steam?

Fewr

Alternatively, would a GAFer be able to gift to me and then I can pay via PayPal like we do with Steam?
Check the OP, apparently you can change your address to any US address and buy stuff. It also advices not to abuse this.

chiQ

I change regularly. I have addresses saved for all the countries I want access for, and change country under Kindle settings on the site. I've changed as many times as five in one day :)

jayb

Hey all, I'm considering getting an e-ink reader, but am wondering how images are handled in ebooks. Obviously the text is what matters most, but I'm just curious if you guys ever hit any issues with e-books missing important images?

Do they include the maps in the Game of Thrones books, for example?

Or another example are the old WWII photos and maps that are included in the E.B. Sledge's With the Old Breed. Is there a requirement to include every image the paper version has in the ebook? Or is it just up to the publisher to include the images or not?

I did try to download a sample of With the Old breed on the kindle android app, but no images were in that (except for the cover). Although I'm not sure if that's because it was just a sample, instead of the full purchased version.

Do they include the maps in the Game of Thrones books, for example?

Just finished Game of Thrones on the Kindle Touch. It had a map in the beggining of the book and there was some bonus content at the end of the book that had another map and a few chapters from the second book.

It all depends on what editions you get like with any book. Pictures work surprisingly well.

Angst

I change regularly. I have addresses saved for all the countries I want access for, and change country under Kindle settings on the site. I've changed as many times as five in one day :)

Eventually you will get an email from Amazon CS telling you to verify your addresses in some way as the IP you're using shows other info than the addresses on your orders. I'm not sure if anything bad will happen, but telling everyone else to counterfeit their address is probably a bad idea as they might get pissed when/if Amazon deletes all their content...

You ARE violating their TOS by doing that you know, which might lead to bad things.

Just finished Game of Thrones on the Kindle Touch. It had a map in the beggining of the book and there was some bonus content at the end of the book that had another map and a few chapters from the second book.

It all depends on what editions you get like with any book. Pictures work surprisingly well.

Can you zoom in on the touch? The maps are way to small on the Kindle 3.

chiQ

Eventually you will get an email from Amazon CS telling you to verify your addresses in some way as the IP you're using shows other info than the addresses on your orders. I'm not sure if anything bad will happen, but telling everyone else to counterfeit their address is probably a bad idea as they might get pissed when/if Amazon deletes all their content...

You ARE violating their TOS by doing that you know, which might lead to bad things.

Eh, as I have lived at, stayed at or shipped products from Amazon to all the addresses I have set up I consider them valid. They can bite me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I used Calibre to convert a PDF strategy guide to MOBI format. It worked extremely well... except that every instance where there are two "L"s next to each other in a word, it put two blank spaces in the MOBI.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to fix that?

I know its only $.25, but would fight club even be worth reading if I've already seen the movie?

The book is a lot different. I read the book after seeing the movie multiple times and defenitely think it's worth a read. I bought it for a quarter and I think I have the paperback lying around somewhere.

Puddles

Banned
I know its only $.25, but would fight club even be worth reading if I've already seen the movie?

Yes. The writing style is pretty amazing, although it's been aped quite a bit since it came out.

How the hell are authors supposed to make any money at $.25 a copy though?

Angst

Eh, as I have lived at, stayed at or shipped products from Amazon to all the addresses I have set up I consider them valid. They can bite me.

Lol, that's your call and I think the risk is pretty small. I did get the email about validating my addresses though so they are running some checks.

DiscoJer

Sounds good. It's utterly flabbergasting that Apple managed to get the publishers under their thumb when iBook sales has to be a miniscule part of total ebook sales

Publishers don't like Amazon, because it gives consumers the crazy idea that books should be reasonably priced.

Top Bottom