• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Fewr

Basic Q but is there a list of kindle commands somewhere online? I noticed I skipped ahead a chapter and don't know how I did it heh.
If the book has got the chapters marked (little dots in the progress bar at the bottom) you can skip a chapter by pressing the left and right buttons of the 4way controller.

clav

Thinking of buying an e-ink Kindle. Find my eyes getting tired reading Amazon books on laptop screens, monitors, and tablets.

What's the consensus here for the best version?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thinking of buying an e-ink Kindle. Find my eyes getting tired reading Amazon books on laptop screens, monitors, and tablets.

I've got the basic (NT) model and I can't think of any reason I could ever conceivably want any of the upgraded models.

I just went with $80 version. I just use it for reading. My only gripe is typing something since I have to use the 4 way keys, but I only type when I'm visiting the kindle store

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

What's the conse
nsus here for the best version?

I personally don't care for the Touch. I'd love the Kindle 4 (NTSO) if it had more user-available storage. Personally, I'm sticking with Kindle 3.

I went with the Touch over the $80 Kindle because I'm a huge note taker and highlighter. I absolutely love it so far.

Can anyone comment on magazine and newspaper subscriptions on Kindle 6", in particular FT and The Economist?

There are very good subscription plans for both, however as anyone who reads paper FT knows, the hideous ink leaves stains on your fingers.

I was even looking for iPad to read the damn thing, then I discovered Kindle offers subscriptions, and noticed FT is available for Kindle.

I'm only interested in 6" one (99EUR here vs. 480EUR for iPad). Also, is free store browsing and download over 3G possible only on keyboard variant, or also on the base model?

clav

I just went with $80 version. I just use it for reading. My only gripe is typing something since I have to use the 4 way keys, but I only type when I'm visiting the kindle store

I've got the basic (NT) model and I can't think of any reason I could ever conceivably want any of the upgraded models.

How disruptive are the ads? I may pay the extra money if they're that distracting.

Does one pop up while I read a book?

I personally don't care for the Touch. I'd love the Kindle 4 (NTSO) if it had more user-available storage. Personally, I'm sticking with Kindle 3.

What about the Kindle with the keyboard?

I went with the Touch over the $80 Kindle because I'm a huge note taker and highlighter. I absolutely love it so far.

Is the Touch a resistive screen?

How disruptive are the ads? I may pay the extra money if they're that distracting.

Does one pop up while I read a book?
My wife has the Kindle with offers and it's actually not that bad. The ads are only on the lock screen and the menu when selecting a book. There are no pop ups while in the book so you won't be inconvenienced that way.

Zabka

Is the Touch a resistive screen?

No, it's an infrared field over the screen. It actually works really well. The "Next Page" touch area takes up most of the screen. An area about half an inch on the left goes backwards one page, and touching the top area of the screen opens the menu.

I was wary of not having a specific page turn button but it works great.

Dumb question but with Amazon Prime and Kindle, you're only allowed one free book monthly? Even if you finish a book before the month is over, it doesn't allow you to get another book?

No. It's only on the screensaver and the main menu. You can also 'upgrade' your kindle later to remove ads.

I think the fact that they allow for this at the exact difference in price makes it an easy to decision to get the with ads version. If you find them to be distracting or annoying, you can always pay the difference and have them removed, but you can't go the other way and get a refund for the difference if you decide you want them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not added.

"Yo guys I want a Wifi Kindle that has a keyboard for taking notes, text-to-speech functionality for when I want to close my eyes on the beach, a high capacity battery, and X-ray and jesus christ no touch screen please"

"Well, the Keyboard kindle has everything except X-ray but we don't sell the Wifi only model anymore except through 3rd parties which can't ship to Canada, the 4G Kindle has X-Ray and no touch screen but nothing else you want, the Kindle Touch has Text-to-speech and X-ray but nothing else you want. Deal with it."

chiQ

I've used the KB and the base model, and bought the touch. I wouldn't get anything else now.

I still think kindle keyboard 3g/wifi is the best of the bunch, although I do wish it had that xray thing.

If you take notes, the keyboard is a godsend.

clav

I'm thinking of getting the base model ($79) version.

Is Touch ($99) worth it? I heard the touch screen is finicky, and a touchscreen will definitely make fingerprints.

The base model seems easy to flip through pages without making the screen dirty.

Somnid

Is Touch ($99) worth it? I heard the touch screen is finicky, and a touchscreen will definitely make fingerprints.

The base model seems easy to flip through pages without making the screen dirty.

It's a matte screen, you don't notice fingerprints because it has no glare so it's absolutely not an issue with Kindles.

I generally prefer the touch model. It's a bit smaller and you tend to do more navigating than typing so it works better (and if you have to type a symbol the keyboard can actually be worse).

The screen isn't particularly finicky but you do have to deal with the slow eInk screen refresh which happens about a half second after you do anything. It'll throw you at first if you are used to other touch screen devices because it seems unresponsive at first (especially unsleeping it there can be a long [3 second or so] delay before input registers and it confused the hell out of me because I couldn't log in). You get used to it. Even if you used a keyboard that would still be an issue but you have the added tactile feedback so that you know what you just did.

The only other issue I've had with it is that the back-page area is very small (about a thumb width from the left edge) and so you can sometimes miss it and move forward.

Versus the base model there's no question touch is better.

chiQ

The surface is matt. No fingerprints. I have never wiped mine and it looks pristine.

It's not finicky, but there is a latency you don't see with LCD touch screens. You just have to get used to a slight delay in the response.

Using a non-Touch to look words up, select text, and so forth is a real pain and quite time-consuming. With the Touch is is simple and quick.

clav

For those of you suggesting the Touch over the Kindle, do you use your Kindle for reading only or do you also write notes?

I just need a solid e-reader. I see complaints of lack of page turn buttons and confusing UI on the Touch version.

However, the Touch version does have more memory.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Get the base model. It's the most well designed of all of them, imo. You won't miss the Touch features if you're just mainly interested in reading. The touch screen was fairly slow to respond when I tried it and (if I'm remembering right), the Touch was a bit slower to refresh.

chiQ

For those of you suggesting the Touch over the Kindle, do you use your Kindle for reading only or do you also write notes?

I just need a solid e-reader. I see complaints of lack of page turn buttons and confusing UI on the Touch version.

However, the Touch version does have more memory.

Just reading novels, but I do look words up.

What is confusing about the UI? Touch the thing you want to select, tap left border to go back, anywhere else to go forward, touch and hold to select text.

clav

Just reading novels, but I do look words up.

What is confusing about the UI? Touch the thing you want to select, tap left border to go back, anywhere else to go forward, touch and hold to select text.

I haven't used it myself as I'm relaying complaints that some major internet publications wrote.

Maybe if I have some time, I should go play with some demos at a retail store although I will have to make time for that.

Haven't stepped inside a retail electronics store for a long time.

Get the base model. It's the most well designed of all of them, imo. You won't miss the Touch features if you're just mainly interested in reading. The touch screen was fairly slow to respond when I tried it and (if I'm remembering right), the Touch was a bit slower to refresh.

Thanks for your feedback.

My other concern is longevity of these devices. I see people complaining that their Kindles broke within two years. Looks like the battery replacement is easy though.

chiQ

I haven't used it myself as I'm relaying complaints that some major internet publications wrote.

Maybe if I have some time, I should go play with some demos at a retail store although I will have to make time for that.

Haven't stepped inside a retail electronics store for a long time.

Thanks for your feedback.

My other concern is longevity of these devices. I see people complaining that their Kindles broke within two years.

The thing to keep in mind is that the GUI is the same as the other Kindles.

The difference between the touch and the rest of the range is in the part of the device's exterior you tap or hold. To turn pages it is as easy on either device. To select text the Touch is superior. Anyone suffering confusion regarding the Touch will be confused by the K4 and K3 too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I would just get the cheapest model and play with it and see how you like it. If you find yourself wishing you had the touch or a keyboard model, just sell it and get a new one. I checked Craigslist before I bought mine and there's a pretty healthy resale market for them, so you shouldn't be out too much cash just for getting it and playing around with it.

I just bought a Touch and I'm really happy with it so far. I played around with both the base model and the Touch at the store and just preferred being able to touch almost anywhere to turn the page. It just wasn't as comfortable to use the buttons on the base model with the way I hold it (which can be different depending on whether I'm sitting or laying down).

The delay in typing and the refresh hasn't really bothered me. And typing anything using the 4-way would be incredibly annoying - worth the $20 just for that.

I looked at cases (including ones with a light) but thought paying $30-$40 to protect a device that costs $100 is a bit silly. Are you guys using cases? Do you recommend I get one? Is this thing tough enough to keep in a backpack without a case (haven't done that yet), or am I going to mess up the touch screen?

Edit: I have heard people say they read more after getting a Kindle, and while I haven't had it long enough to make that determination I think it will be true for me. I sometimes just get intimidated by the volume of unread pages I have remaining in a hard-copy book. I've been looking at the 1/10th-read Clash of Kings on my nightstand and sometimes just think - "ugh, so many pages, I only have a few minutes, I'm not even going to pick it up." But with the Kindle the amount remaining isn't as in-your-face and I don't feel the same anxiety and avoidance. It feels OK to pick it up even if I just have a few minutes. Plus I'd usually spend 5-10 minutes just finding my place in an analog book because I'm lazy and sometimes forget to mark my page - "wait, did I read this part? Better backtrack a few pages just to make sure... shit I did read this, but I'll just read it again because I'm not 100% sure how far I got..." Now I know for sure exactly where I left off.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I received a Kindle Touch today as a gift for my birthday. I plan to break it in tomorrow by beginning to read The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. I am really looking forward to using it; I set it up today and even that was enjoyable.

LiQuid!

Just finished watching this comparison video between the Kindle 4 and Kindle Touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_SsiOq39b8

Seems silly that the Touch doesn't have some features that the Kindle 4 has and vice versa.

I think I said it before, but I don't see how anybody can stand using a Kindle without the page buttons on the sides. That right there would be an instant dealbreaker for me.

clav

I think I said it before, but I don't see how anybody can stand using a Kindle without the page buttons on the sides. That right there would be an instant dealbreaker for me.

I have to agree. Although touch offers a better input experience, Amazon's user experience design team seems to have forgotten about visual cues required when a person uses a touchscreen, and I bet that's impossible to correct with the slow refresh rate of e-ink screens.

Buttons offer tactile feedback to fill in the visual cue gap, so not having an instantaneous transition after a button press is excusable.

At the risk of dragging the thread off-topic, one of the reasons I went for a Nook Touch instead of a Kindle was that it had both a touch screen and physical buttons.

I only used a Kindle 3 a few times before getting my touch, but I haven't felt like I missed the buttons once in the last 4 months. I think it's something you get used to pretty quickly.

LiQuid!

I only used a Kindle 3 a few times before getting my touch, but I haven't felt like I missed the buttons once in the last 4 months. I think it's something you get used to pretty quickly.

Does it require two hands to read a Kindle and turn a page on it with the touch screen? Because then I will not get used to it.

Does it require two hands to read a Kindle and turn a page on it with the touch screen? Because then I will not get used to it.

Nope, not at all. I typically hold the Kindle in my left hand, and can easily use my thumb to page forward or back. If I hold it with my right hand I would probably need to use my left hand to reach the page back, but this isn't a problem for me because I rarely want to page back, and rarely hold the device in my right hand. I can see that potentially being an issue for others, though.

Zabka

I have to agree. Although touch offers a better input experience, Amazon's user experience design team seems to have forgotten about visual cues required when a person uses a touchscreen, and I bet that's impossible to correct with the slow refresh rate of e-ink screens.

Buttons offer tactile feedback to fill in the visual cue gap, so not having an instantaneous transition after a button press is excusable.

You get used to it after 30 seconds.

Chorazin

I never find myself doing that, though. It always seems a lot easier and more consistent to just tap, but that's a good point for when holding it in the right hand and wanting to go back.

I just tap as well, it feels more natural than swiping, even though I swipe when using the Kindle app!

Izayoi

Banned
Doesn't anyone have a recommendation for a Kindle Fire case/cover? I'm going to get the matte screen protector, but as far as cases go I'm lost. All of the cases on Amazon have good reviews, and price isn't that huge of a deal, so I'm a little miffed. The store where I bought it had no Fire cases to look at.

chiQ

No, I hold mine in one hand and turn pages with the thumb of that hand. I have a seriously messed up wrist and can't hold paperback books, so it is a huge improvement for me to be able to do this :)

With the non-touch Kindles I have to use my other hand to turn the page, because of the positioning of the buttons.

Top Bottom