• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm really disappointed in the euro Kindle Touch pricing... € 130 for the wifi version :/

I was pleasantly surprised. Undercuts the Sony reader and it doesn't have ads to subsidise it. If it only had page turn buttons I'd buy one in a second

Aaron

I was pleasantly surprised. Undercuts the Sony reader and it doesn't have ads to subsidise it. If it only had page turn buttons I'd buy one in a second
Touch doesn't need buttons. Just tap and it changes pages. Don't miss the lack of them.

Danj

Touch doesn't need buttons. Just tap and it changes pages. Don't miss the lack of them.

Having used both a Kindle Keyboard and a Touch, I think I'd still prefer there to be hardware page turn buttons. My fingers have to reach a bit further around the device if I'm holding it one-handed in order to tap to turn the page, and it's a bit uncomfortable. Other than that I like the Touch very much.

Salaadin

How intrusive are the ads on the Kindle Touch with special offers? Is it worth it to just pay the extra 40 bucks to get without?

EDIT: Any recommendations for a good lighted case for the Touch?

How intrusive are the ads on the Kindle Touch with special offers? Is it worth it to just pay the extra 40 bucks to get without?

The ads are not intrusive at all. You only see a very small ad in the home screen, and a full ad when the kindle is turned off. Some of the offers have been pretty darn good. Last week I saw ads for Fight club at $.25, a Neal Stephenson book for $1.99 and the $10 for $5 deal. After months of use and knowing what I know now, I would actually feel cheated if I didn't see the ads.

Salaadin

The ads are not intrusive at all. You only see a very small ad in the home screen, and a full ad when the kindle is turned off. Some of the offers have been pretty darn good. Last week I saw ads for Fight club at $.25, a Neal Stephenson book for $1.99 and the $10 for $5 deal. After months of use and knowing what I know now, I would actually feel cheated if I didn't see the ads.

Thanks. That seems to line up with what Ive been reading elsewhere too. For some reason, I thought the Touch was $139 with special offers. $99 seems like a steal.

I just got a Kindle Touch with special offers on Friday, and I do not regret it. The ads aren't distracting at all.

chiQ

I heard when it comes to books Amazon is really strict. People soon got emails when buying from Amazon.com US with a non US IP.

I've been doing so for more than 15 years, without any sort of complaint, first paper then electronic books, so I shouldn't imagine that's true.

Danj

Thanks. That seems to line up with what Ive been reading elsewhere too. For some reason, I thought the Touch was $139 with special offers. $99 seems like a steal.

And if you don't like the ads, it's trivially easy to disable them and does not require any illegal hacking or cracking or jailbreaking of any sort (though you will need to do a factory reset on your device at one point during the procedure).

As for the moral and ethical issues involved in that, well, mine was one I received as a present for Christmas and it was a US import, so the ads were US ones and weren't relevant to me.

Salaadin

And if you don't like the ads, it's trivially easy to disable them and does not require any illegal hacking or cracking or jailbreaking of any sort (though you will need to do a factory reset on your device at one point during the procedure).

As for the moral and ethical issues involved in that, well, mine was one I received as a present for Christmas and it was a US import, so the ads were US ones and weren't relevant to me.

Thanks. I think Ill leave them on. They dont sound like a big deal at all for me since I might actually be able to use them.

Btw, your avatar is very offensive to me :p

Vlad

So, about that Kindle app for the iPad...

My wife recently got an iPad, and is starting to get into the ebook thing, so of course she installed the Kindle app.

A few days ago, she was on the IRS webpage getting an EIN assigned, and apparently when you do that, it sends a PDF to the user through the webpage. She said that she had the option of just downloading it to the Kindle app, so she figured that she'd just be able to easily transfer the file back off the iPad at a later date for printing. However, after banging our heads against the wall trying to figure this thing out, we can't seem to get the Kindle app to release the file back to us. It's stored on the documents section, and I'm hoping that if I can get it to sync to the cloud, maybe we can download it to a PC through Amazon or something, but I can't seem to see how to get the file to sync at all.

Anybody know how we can get our file back?

Skyrim

Banned
So, about that Kindle app for the iPad...

My wife recently got an iPad, and is starting to get into the ebook thing, so of course she installed the Kindle app.

A few days ago, she was on the IRS webpage getting an EIN assigned, and apparently when you do that, it sends a PDF to the user through the webpage. She said that she had the option of just downloading it to the Kindle app, so she figured that she'd just be able to easily transfer the file back off the iPad at a later date for printing. However, after banging our heads against the wall trying to figure this thing out, we can't seem to get the Kindle app to release the file back to us. It's stored on the documents section, and I'm hoping that if I can get it to sync to the cloud, maybe we can download it to a PC through Amazon or something, but I can't seem to see how to get the file to sync at all.

Anybody know how we can get our file back?

try and go to amazon.com and check if its on cloud drive at the menu, but when she uploaded it without whispersync I don't know if it'll be in the cloud storage. It might be only stored in that device.

if its stored only in that device
try hooking it up on itunes then go to device/ipad click the tab apps. Go all the way at the bottom and look for kindle.
see if u can drag out the file from itunes to ur desktop

Vlad

if its stored only in that device
try hooking it up on itunes then go to device/ipad click the tab apps. Go all the way at the bottom and look for kindle.
see if u can drag out the file from itunes to ur desktop

Bingo, that did it, thanks.

Salaadin

So I have some short stories that I transferred from my PC to my kindle. Is there a way to get these to sync up with the kindle app for android? Anything that I added using my @kindle.com email shows up on all devices but the stuff transferred via USB does not.

flowsnake

Is there any way to reset the Furthest Read thing? I can't sync between my phone and kindle because of going to the footnotes (which are right at the end) it seems.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Non-Touch Kindle 4 user here...

I must be dumb, because for the life of me I cannot seem to use the d-pad to browse through the bookmarks I've manually added to my books. No problem with books that come with bookmarks for chapters, but when I add them myself I'm forced to go through the menu and use the "go to" option, defeating the purpose of the bookmarks... What am I doing wrong? Is there a shortcut that I'm not aware of?

So I have some short stories that I transferred from my PC to my kindle. Is there a way to get these to sync up with the kindle app for android? Anything that I added using my @kindle.com email shows up on all devices but the stuff transferred via USB does not.
You've got to send them using the @kindle.com address and have them converted to .azw files in order to use whispersync. Once it's been added to the cloud you may be able to transfer copies of the initial .azw file to other devices and have them sync, but I'm not sure if that works or not.

Is there any way to reset the Furthest Read thing? I can't sync between my phone and kindle because of going to the footnotes (which are right at the end) it seems.

Amazon.com/Your Account/ Manage your Kindle/ Action drop-down box

This is super annoying, but before you had to call Amazon CS each time you needed it reset.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wait, I didn't even know you were supposed to be able to do that.

I don't know if you're supposed to be able to do that with bookmarks you've manually added, but you can with books that come with bookmarks. Still, surely there has to be a way to do something similar with non-Kindle ebooks, right?

I don't know if you're supposed to be able to do that with bookmarks you've manually added, but you can with books that come with bookmarks. Still, surely there has to be a way to do something similar with non-Kindle ebooks, right?

Nope. I can't do that on my Kindle 2. That works only for chapters and sections, not user added bookmarks. The only way I get to my bookmarks is through the my notes and marks section.

RangersFan

Upgraded my Kindle 2 to the new $79 Kindle and couldn't be happier. Just wondering those who went for the Touch version what feature made you go that route? I played around with the Touch and didn't like it at all. I also don't need sound, and found since i'm used to the side turn page button i wouldn't like going to tap the screen to turn page. My only use for Kindle is to read books and nothing else, so I found the $79 Kindle a fantastic value.

Meier

I haven't really used my Kindle in some time.. only a sporadic reader. Sometimes you forget how fucking amazing it is outside until you see another in the wild. Walked by a guy reading one and even from 10-15 feet away it was just clear as day at 12:15 in the afternoon. e-Ink is such an impressive tech.

Upgraded my Kindle 2 to the new $79 Kindle and couldn't be happier. Just wondering those who went for the Touch version what feature made you go that route? I played around with the Touch and didn't like it at all. I also don't need sound, and found since i'm used to the side turn page button i wouldn't like going to tap the screen to turn page. My only use for Kindle is to read books and nothing else, so I found the $79 Kindle a fantastic value.

I still have a Kindle 2 and if I upgraded now, and I probably won't, I would go with the Touch because I want the X-ray feature. I don't know if it's even being supported all that much but it seems really cool to me.

Before buying the Kindle Touch, my decision for choosing that one over the $80 version was the ability to play MP3s, and the idea that writing notes and navigation would be easier. After 5 months of use, I can safely say that if I was to buy a Kindle again I would go for the non-touch Kindle. From day one, I haven't listened to a single audiobook on it, and the device it's much too big to be used as an MP3 player. Whatever notes you need to write can be done equally well with the button interface in the $80 Kindle.

bangai-o

Banned
Don't really care about the front-lit screen, but I'm sure once the device came out and I got it I'd never want an e-reader without it. I don't like that it has a "layer of material laminated atop the E Ink screen". I remember the early touch Sony ereaders had a layer above the e-ink screen and it made it look not like an e-ink screen.

Here's a video of a similar concept, if not the same one, by FLEx.

Don't really care about the front-lit screen, but I'm sure once the device came out and I got it I'd never want an e-reader without it. I don't like that it has a "layer of material laminated atop the E Ink screen". I remember the early touch Sony ereaders had a layer above the e-ink screen and it made it look not like an e-ink screen.

Here's a video of a similar concept, if not the same one, by FLEx.
According to The Verge, Amazon acquired the company Oy Modilis Ltd (what kind of name is that? Yiddish?) for their backlighting tech. I did some patent searches, and it does appear that their lighting adds another layer.

5Hhcc.png

I don't think they would pull a Sony (PRS-700) and add a layer that would decrease the contrast of their current readers, so I'm guessing they either up the resolution to compensate or have found a better solution for the additional layer.

clav

Would the addition of a backlight cause eyestrain since I thought the idea behind e-readers was that readers aren't staring into a light source?

I don't think they would pull a Sony (PRS-700) and add a layer that would decrease the contrast of their current readers, so I'm guessing they either up the resolution to compensate or have found a better solution for the additional layer.

If it means a higher resolution I'm all for it. It's been a year since the 300 dpi e-ink screen was announced. I want to see this screen in person.

Would the addition of a backlight cause eyestrain since I thought the idea behind e-readers was that readers aren't staring into a light source?
I think the problem that LCDs have (had? possibly because of higher refreshes) has to do with the refresh rate and not so much with the lighting. For instance, the Ipad 2 was 60Hz which is detectable by the human eye and can cause strain, but 120Hz and above shouldn't cause fatigue.

If it means a higher resolution I'm all for it. It's been a year since the 300 dpi e-ink screen was announced. I want to see this screen in person.

I still haven't seen the Iriver Story HD in person @ 213dpi. I think it's almost a given that we get a better screen. Two generations with the same screen tech feels a little lazy to me, and it's why I'm skipping the K4.

I still haven't seen the Iriver Story HD in person @ 213dpi. I think it's almost a given that we get a better screen. Two generations with the same screen tech feels a little lazy to me, and it's why I'm skipping the K4.

I saw the Story HD at Target. It's a noticeable jump, an I expect every new reader to atleast be that good. That flexible screen that was announced a few weeks ago has the same resolution. It's shocking the latest kindles didn't have that resolution considering they came out after the Story HD.

I saw the Story HD at Target. It's a noticeable jump, an I expect every new reader to atleast be that good. That flexible screen that was announced a few weeks ago has the same resolution. It's shocking the latest kindles didn't have that resolution considering they came out after the Story HD.
I think it was a case of either/or, and the touch screen won out over a bump in resolution, unfortunately. I understand why the chose that option, but I'm still annoyed by their decision. Now that they've pacified the touch-obsessed masses, hopefully they can get back on track making improvements in readability.

Finnish, it even says Finland in the document
Oy! Totally glazed over that.

bangai-o

Banned
broke my K3. just a top quarter portion of the screen doesnt work. Yes, i did just toss it into my backpack, and I also pulled my backpack out of my locker and let it go and dropped it and I thought to myself *meh Im sure its fine*.

mantidor

What would happen if I try to update my Kindle (v3.3, old model with keyboard) after installing the hack for custom screensavers? I know Amazon is pretty relaxed about it but I would prefer to be sure.

I jailbroke my Kindle to use custom fonts, and while they are nice, my Kindle feels significantly slower afterwards. Page turns are sometimes a lot longer and in the worst cases (typing) refreshing takes over 5 seconds. Is that supposed to happen? How do I change my Kindle back to normal?

What would happen if I try to update my Kindle (v3.3, old model with keyboard) after installing the hack for custom screensavers? I know Amazon is pretty relaxed about it but I would prefer to be sure.
Shouldn't make a difference. You'll get upgrade and still have the replacement screensavers. Speaking from personal experience.

smr00

Banned
To people who own the fire

1. How is comic reading? not just through their program but from your own CBZ/CBR comics? do they support good programs to read them?

2. How is reading manga? again, non-amazon bought manga.

And anyone know the list of file support? I own a alot of non DRM books in EPUB etc. so i am wondering what formats the fire supports, mostly CBZ/CBR/MOBI/EPUB files.

Highlighting by touching and dragging. Holding down on a word and having the definition pop up. Full keyboard functionality without the hardware stretching out the size of the device.

Once you get used to the refresh rate (which I imagine is tough for anybody used to other touchscreen devices), it's hard to go without that functionality. I'm glad I went with it. But I'm always looking stuff up and taking notes on books. That's a huge thing for me with an ereader, it essentially turns my books into resources of metacontent.

Well said - it's the same for me across all points

LProtag

I really hope the backlight thing doesn't become standard on all models of eReaders. I don't need it at all and would rather not pay for it.

I just sit under a lamp or something to read, it's not a huge deal for me.

I really hope the backlight thing doesn't become standard on all models of eReaders. I don't need it at all and would rather not pay for it.

I just sit under a lamp or something to read, it's not a huge deal for me.

I just recently used a Kindle Fire for the first time, but after an hour and half of reading my eyes were blurry when I looked up. I still prefer my Kindle 3 and the back lit case it has with it. I agree with this, backlights in e-readers doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Top Bottom