• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

AndyD

aka andydumi
I really hope the backlight thing doesn't become standard on all models of eReaders. I don't need it at all and would rather not pay for it.

I just sit under a lamp or something to read, it's not a huge deal for me.

It seems to be a side light though. And the tech breakdown seems to indicate its a single LED so there would be little of any price differentiation.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fuck, I just got a nook touch a few months ago and bought the little clip-on light to go with it. Wonder how much I could sell it for.

"Just got" ... "a few months ago"

You're talking like you just bought it ten minutes ago.

Cheebo

Banned
Looks like the Nook GlowLight still has the 600x800 resolution. I'm hoping Amazon doesn't follow suit. I want an increase in resolution now.
Need something for the 2013 refresh! And color e-ink tech just isn't there yet for a few years to be good enough and cheap enough. I expect they will follow B&N and just add a front light to the Kindle Touch.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I really wish it was a larger screen. The device the size of the keyboard kindle but without a keyboard. My keyboard kindle is the perfect size I think, I tried my friend's touch and its too small overall. Give us an 8 inch screen with a front light Amazon.

I really wish it was a larger screen. The device the size of the keyboard kindle but without a keyboard. My keyboard kindle is the perfect size I think, I tried my friend's touch and its too small overall. Give us an 8 inch screen with a front light Amazon.

Like the Kindle DX?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Like the Kindle DX?

No that's too big, its a near 10 inch screen. I am thinking the same size as the keyboard one but all screen instead of keyboard. In other words, instead of cutting off the keyboard to make a smaller kindle with the same screen size as the touch, keep the size of the k3 and make the screen bigger to replace the keyboard.

Like the Fire:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYWHSQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Same size as the K3 but all screen. Notice the DX is significantly larger.

WowBaby

I really like the latest Kindle Touch update. I was really lusting for the multiple languages and their dictionaries. They finally made it to the Touch.

I really like the latest Kindle Touch update. I was really lusting for the multiple languages and their dictionaries. They finally made it to the Touch.

I think you're one of the lucky ones to get it first.

For anyone who hasn't gotten it, and doesnt want to wait for Amazon to roll it out to them, here are the directions (I doubt anyone will need them) and link to the update:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253795/the_new_kindle_touch_upgrade_how_to_get_it_now.html

Update:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...touchupdate?nodeId=200790650&tag=vglnk-c43-20

Change log Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.1.0 said:
Language Support: Customize your Kindle Touch with the language you prefer: English (US and UK), German, French, Spanish, Italian, or Brazilian Portuguese.
Landscape Mode: Switch between portrait and landscape orientation in books and PDFs to read maps, graphs, and tables more easily.
Instant Translations: Tap any word or highlight a section to instantly translate into other languages, including Spanish, Japanese, and more. Translations by Bing Translator.
Kindle Format 8: Formatting and layout improvements make Kindle books look even better.
Wi-Fi Enhancements: Connect your Kindle Touch to Wi-Fi with WPS and select WPA2 Enterprise networks.
Read-to-Me With Text-to-Speech: Have your Kindle Touch read English-language content out loud to you, now including summaries of newspaper and magazine articles when available from the publisher.
More Sharing Options: Tell others what you're reading on Facebook or Twitter from anywhere within a book — just tap to share a link along with your comments.
Onscreen Keyboard Suggestions: Search and shop faster with automatic word suggestions as you type.

Jintor

Does anybody know if there's a way on a Kindle 3 to remove or hide the progress bar down the bottom of the page? I find it really distracting to know that I'm 36% of the way through a book or whatever.

Beez

Banned
I think you're one of the lucky ones to get it first.

For anyone who hasn't gotten it, and doesnt want to wait for Amazon to roll it out to them, here are the directions (I doubt anyone will need them) and link to the update:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253795/the_new_kindle_touch_upgrade_how_to_get_it_now.html

Update:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...touchupdate?nodeId=200790650&tag=vglnk-c43-20

Any rumors when the Kindle non-touch firmware will be updated?

Rootbeer

Banned
Does anybody know if there's a way on a Kindle 3 to remove or hide the progress bar down the bottom of the page? I find it really distracting to know that I'm 36% of the way through a book or whatever.
Would be a nice option to have, but when reading a real book you always know roughly how close you are to the end... so I don't know how it's that distracting as compared to a paper book.

Sometimes it's interesting to NOT know you're creeping right up on the ending. I have had this experience on Kindle, mostly when a book puts a sample of another book (or MANY in the case of the Star Wars ebooks), so things end well before 100%.

centracore

I'm thinking of buying my very first Kindle today, is now an alright time to buy one or is there an updated version just around the corner? I read the stuff about backlit Kindle later this year, but that doesn't seem like something I'd really care for either way.

Besides that, any suggestions on Kindle vs Kindle Touch? I already have an iPad so the Kindle is only going to be used for reading books and long articles via Readability.

I'm thinking of buying my very first Kindle today, is now an alright time to buy one or is there an updated version just around the corner? I read the stuff about backlit Kindle later this year, but that doesn't seem like something I'd really care for either way.

Besides that, any suggestions on Kindle vs Kindle Touch? I already have an iPad so the Kindle is only going to be used for reading books and long articles via Readability.

If you want a Kindle now buy it, the cheapest model is 79$. Kindle with backlight will probably come later this year.

As for Touch vs. 4 - if you don't make lots of highlights, notes, or need to consult the dictionary, then 4 is perfectly fine. I don't have touch and 5-direction pad works very well for everything.

centracore

If you want a Kindle now buy it, the cheapest model is 79$. Kindle with backlight will probably come later this year.

As for Touch vs. 4 - if you don't make lots of highlights, notes, or need to consult the dictionary, then 4 is perfectly fine. I don't have touch and 5-direction pad works very well for everything.

The base Kindle is $109 up here in Canada, $139 for the Kindle Touch.. maybe I will have to get one when I am down there in August instead. Are they sold in stores anywhere?

Cheebo

Banned

It's also important to remember Kindle Touch has double the space (2 GB vs 4 GB) over the $80 kindle. And Kindles have no way to add external space. Touch is well worth the additional $20.

Cheebo

Banned
Do u really need 2GB of space just for reading books? Unless ur a horder, cuz u can always redownload those books on Amazon

Not necessarily but for only $20 it's nice to have in addition to touch control.

It's needed especially if you transfer over image heavy documents like comics.

Wondering if another Kindle user can help me out--

I recently got a Kindle Touch. Really enjoying it so far, but when I went to read this AM, I noticed there was a black bar at the top of my reading pages displaying the name of the book, the battery notifier and the time. It wasn't there before and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it go away!

luoapp

I recently got a Kindle Touch. Really enjoying it so far, but when I went to read this AM, I noticed there was a black bar at the top of my reading pages displaying the name of the book, the battery notifier and the time. It wasn't there before and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it go away!

Call Amazon CS, they're super nice. They second-day shipped my replacement unit, before I shipped out my old kindle.

vazel

Banned

Try resetting your kindle by holding the power button for 30sec.

About to order a Kindle 4 for my fiancé's birthday. She's taken my 3 hostage recently .

Should I go for the official case or are 3rd party ones like from Belkin just as good?

Beez

Banned
About to order a Kindle 4 for my fiancé's birthday. She's taken my 3 hostage recently .

Should I go for the official case or are 3rd party ones like from Belkin just as good?

They're probably going to release a new Kindle soon with that new backlight feature (the Nook just released their version) You might want to wait.

Cheebo

Banned
They're probably going to release a new Kindle soon with that new backlight feature (the Nook just released their version) You might want to wait.

It wont be out till the Fall. A long way to wait for just backlight. Nook had their touch screen e-reader in the spring and Amazon in the fall last year. It's when Amazon tends to release their Kindle line.

Can someone help me and tell if there is any other way to save articles than put them all in one, ugly "My Clippings" file? Can't I set it somehow to make exact copy of an article and put every article in separate file?

Wurst

GAF, I'm sad.

I love my Kindle, bought my first one last year when the 4th gen hit Germany.
A month ago, though, the screen suddenly went glitchy. Horizontal and Vertical lines, a third covered in screenfreeze. What a disaster to see my Kindle die on me. Never did it any harm, no physical impact of any kind.
Called support and had a new Kindle in my hands the very next day! Yay!

But today the new Kindle died on me too. Same glitch. And just after one month! :(
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It is really annoying. Is it a common problem? Was it just bad luck that it hit me twice?

I'm yet to contact the support. But meh... what a pain.

Question

How does the View Notes and Marks page look like? Can anyone take a photo?
When converting an ePub, how does the formatting of the book hold up? Are there frequent issues or no issues?
Do the imported books like ePubs save to the cloud or/and their annotations?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok GAF, I am looking for an E-reader and of course the first thing that came to mind was the Kindle.
But! I also need my ereader to be able to display pdfs properly since I read a lot of them for university. I heard the kindle isn't really that good with pdfs though.

If so, why and can you recommend me some other ereader that fits my needs?

luoapp

Ok GAF, I am looking for an E-reader and of course the first thing that came to mind was the Kindle.
But! I also need my ereader to be able to display pdfs properly since I read a lot of them for university. I heard the kindle isn't really that good with pdfs though.

If PDF is such a high priority, you should go get a new iPad. No e-reader has high enough resolution currently.

Any rumors when the Kindle non-touch firmware will be updated?
Nope, they just appear with no warning usually.
Jason Raize '75 - '04 said:
Question

How does the View Notes and Marks page look like? Can anyone take a photo?
When converting an ePub, how does the formatting of the book hold up? Are there frequent issues or no issues?
Do the imported books like ePubs save to the cloud or/and their annotations?
ZUvSW.gif

C2awT.gif

Nzx5U.gif
After you convert the ePub to a kindle format (mobi is best) you can either upload books to your kindle with the usb cable (quickest), or you can send it to your @kindle.com email address where Amazon will convert it to .azw and add it to the cloud. The books side-loaded via @kindle.com will sync last page read, bookmarks and annotations.

Send to Kindle for Mac
Reading your personal documents on a Kindle has never been easier
  • Send personal documents to your Kindle from your Mac.
  • Drag and drop one or more documents on to the Send to Kindle icon in your Dock or launch the application and drag and drop one or more documents on to it.
  • From any Mac application that can print, select the print menu and choose Send to Kindle.
  • From Finder, simply control-click on one or more documents and choose Send to Kindle.
  • Choose to archive documents in your Kindle library, where you can re-download them conveniently at any time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000778781

Finally.

The biggest problem with reading PDFs on the kindle is that most PDFs are formatted for a much larger size than the (non DX) Kindle's 6" screen. So, the same issue will be present on any standard sized e-reader-and the bigger e-readers are all pretty expensive. If one views the PDF in landscape mode, that can help, and it sometimes it can also help to use a utility to crop the margins.

If you link to an example of the kind of PDF you want to read, I can show you what it will look like on a Kindle, and you can decide just how readable it is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do I deal with bulk deletion of content? I have a ton of news articles backed up on amazon from where calibre has been sending it daily but I've had wifi off to save battery. Deleting one by one on amazon.com is painfully slow.

Is it best to just delete all of the ones on the kindle via USB, then wait for the queued up ones to be delivered and delete again? Anything quicker?

Gigglepoo

A few pages are missing in The Marriage Plot, about 70% of the way into the book. So I contact Amazon about this problem, hoping they could supply the missing page. Instead, they pulled the book off of my device. Horrible resolution. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I already contacted them again explaining my dissatisfaction, but I really just want to finish the book.

luoapp

A few pages are missing in The Marriage Plot, about 70% of the way into the book. So I contact Amazon about this problem, hoping they could supply the missing page. Instead, they pulled the book off of my device. Horrible resolution. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I already contacted them again explaining my dissatisfaction, but I really just want to finish the book.

Did they refund you? Chances are, they don't have the missing page either.

I've never had an issue THAT big, but I wish there was a way to send notes to the author/publisher informing them of notable formatting screwups.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

If your pdf is mostly text the kindle with show it fine. My wife uses her kindle for beading pattern pdfs and they are full of diagrams and strange formatting and it still shows fine. The pdf problems are pretty overblown.

glaurung

Vonnegut might impress young people, maybe. But that's just me.

Anyway, decided to chime in to this thread and state that the Kindle Touch that I bought two weeks ago is quite possibly the coolest gadget I've purchased this year. Really enjoying it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Had my Kindle JUST over a year and had it in my bag a few weeks and got it out and it had the Critical Battery error. Dunno what it is but I think it's fairly common. Basically screen goes all sketchy. I was bummed b/c even though I have the new iPad, Galaxy Nexus, etc. I still really love reading on the Kindle. Even though I'm out of warranty they're sending me a free replacement (b/c I think the problem is fairly common) so whoo! :D

Top Bottom