• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

jayb

Do you guys have any case recommendations for the Kindle Touch? I don't really like the ones with the elastic bands that go over the four corners.

The best one seems to be the official one, but I'd like to spend less than $40. Are there any other cases that fit like the official one?

entremet

Had my Kindle JUST over a year and had it in my bag a few weeks and got it out and it had the Critical Battery error. Dunno what it is but I think it's fairly common. Basically screen goes all sketchy. I was bummed b/c even though I have the new iPad, Galaxy Nexus, etc. I still really love reading on the Kindle. Even though I'm out of warranty they're sending me a free replacement (b/c I think the problem is fairly common) so whoo! :D

Which one? I had something similar happen to my Kindle keyboard. Got a touch to replace it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Which one? I had something similar happen to my Kindle keyboard. Got a touch to replace it.

kb Kindle 3 I think it's called (was the newest one a year ago, probably still?). Basically random lines across 1/3 of the screen and then you can see it says critical battery. I dunno if it springs out of lack of use or what -- pretty weird but cool that they acknowledge it and allow it as a warranty exception.

I don't know if anyone is interested but this week's wal-mart ad has the $79 kindle that supports adds for $79 but also comes with a $30 wal-mart gift card. So it essentially makes it $49 after you use the gift card. It doesn't seem to be on their website as an offer so I'm assuming it's an instore only type of deal. You can look at the weekly ad online to see it.

Do you guys have any case recommendations for the Kindle Touch? I don't really like the ones with the elastic bands that go over the four corners.

The best one seems to be the official one, but I'd like to spend less than $40. Are there any other cases that fit like the official one?

I bit the bullet and got the official one in green-- I love it!

kb Kindle 3 I think it's called (was the newest one a year ago, probably still?). Basically random lines across 1/3 of the screen and then you can see it says critical battery. I dunno if it springs out of lack of use or what -- pretty weird but cool that they acknowledge it and allow it as a warranty exception.

Amazon is pretty awesome when it comes to replacing Kindle's I accidentally crushed mine once, and emailed them asking if they offered a recycling/replacement program. They sent me another one free of charge, and just asked me to return the broken one. I love that comapny.

Lumiere

Neo Member

I don't like elastic bands over the corners either, searched for something similar to the official one for a while and didn't find anything... so eventually gave up and got the official.
I'm quite happy with it though, it's sturdy, obviously fits perfectly and it's also really easy to take off.

Amazon I'm aware but they're the ones I hear crying about it.[/QUOTE]"]currently has an awesome sale on old pulp/noir/crime novels:

KDD_GoldBox_042912._V149653158_.jpg

100 different books for under a buck a piece.

The Box is my personal favorite on the list:

61yHSCXKICL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

WowBaby

I like the TeckNet ones. I have the light blue vertical one.

brentech

Amazon currently has an awesome sale on old pulp/noir/crime novels:

KDD_GoldBox_042912._V149653158_.jpg

100 different books for under a buck a piece.

The Box is my personal favorite on the list:

61yHSCXKICL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I just popped in to ask if anyone had a recommendation from that list. I don't read them often, but generally enjoy mysteries when I do. I think the last one I read was just called, "The Strangler", by William Landry.

'The Box' sounds a little off kilter for my tastes, so if anyone else has one they enjoyed or an author they've read something of, do share.

Take my e-reader to the book store to download info on a book? Brilliant.

There are a lot of advantages to bringing your Nook into B&N so it makes sense from their business standpoint. Examples are you can read any book you want for like an hour on the Nook.

Mairu

Is it likely for a new Kindle release to be anytime soon? I'm in the process of deciding whether I want a Kindle, Nook, or iPad and wondering whether it's likely that a new Kindle is coming soon with a Glow feature like the new Nook.

jayb

With Kindle you buy everything from Amazon which has no physical presence so it's not really cool/useful in the same way. Also B&N should consider slowing down the pace at which they release. I know they want to one-up Amazon but 6 month releases is going a bit fast.

the Nook Simple Touch was released in June 2011, and the NST GlowLight just this month. so 11 months not 6.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it likely for a new Kindle release to be anytime soon? I'm in the process of deciding whether I want a Kindle, Nook, or iPad and wondering whether it's likely that a new Kindle is coming soon with a Glow feature like the new Nook.

July, August. Rumors or preorders, that is.

Cheebo

Banned
With Kindle you buy everything from Amazon which has no physical presence so it's not really cool/useful in the same way. Also B&N should consider slowing down the pace at which they release. I know they want to one-up Amazon but 6 month releases is going a bit fast.

Eh? Amazon and B&N both do the once a year upgrade path. B&N upgrades their e-ink devices in the spring/summer and their LCD devices in the fall. Amazon does their Kindle upgrades in the fall.

July, August.

Fall is far more likely. There are no signs Amazon will break their once a year cycle they been on for a while.

Nook to get NFC. What are you doing Amazon?

Having a much better book library, lower prices, and free book rentals with Amazon Prime?

Why would I want NFC in my e-reader?

Get both an e-reader and an ipad. Kindles at $79 with a $30 gift card right now at Walmart. You can't go wrong with a $50 Kindle. Then buy an ipad for media, web, etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fall is far more likely. There are no signs Amazon will break their once a year cycle they been on for a while.

Release, yes. But Amazon always puts up preorders in the late summer, IIRC. I definitely remember for the K3 they did in July or so.

Having a much better book library, lower prices, and free book rentals with Amazon Prime?
Are you sure Amazon has a much bigger library and better prices? All the major publishers have signed onto each of the e-book stores and try to keep prices the same across the board because they don't want Amazon to get a monopoly.

July, August. Rumors or preorders, that is.

Eh? Amazon and B&N both do the once a year upgrade path. B&N upgrades their e-ink devices in the spring/summer and their LCD devices in the fall. Amazon does their Kindle upgrades in the fall.

Release, yes. But Amazon always puts up preorders in the late summer, IIRC. I definitely remember for the K3 they did in July or so.

Amazon is shitty about keeping to any type of schedule. The K2 was released in February, K3 was August, and the K4 was what? November? Something like that. I'll post as soon as I find their FCC filings, but the gap between filings and release will likely be several months.

Are you sure Amazon has a much bigger library and better prices? All the major publishers have signed onto each of the e-book stores and try to keep prices the same across the board because they don't want Amazon to get a monopoly.

Amazon has a thriving indie lit scene that has quite a few authors that simply are not on the Nook store, or at higher prices. Also, the free Prime book lending thing is amazing. :)

Anthony Neil Smith is a perfect example. He just won the Spinetingler award for fiction this month yet has none of his books on the Nook store.

Also, alot of prices are higher on the Nook Store. Fight Club is $2.50 more expensive for example.

I can get Amazon's book library into my Nook, but I can't get the Nook's page turn buttons, light, or NFC into my Kindle.

If we're including imaginary features, then you can't get your Nook to disperse cash and blowjobs like my imaginary Kindle can!

If we're including imaginary features, then you can't get your Nook to disperse cash and blowjobs like my imaginary Kindle can!

I was assuming the feature was true. Even ignoring it doesn't change the fact that it's easier to get the content than it is to get the functionality which is a reason to choose B&N over Amazon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I got my replacement Kindle today. I see you can sync collections (whew), but is there any way to just download my whole archive back to the Kindle or do I have to go into each book?

So I got my replacement Kindle today. I see you can sync collections (whew), but is there any way to just download my whole archive back to the Kindle or do I have to go into each book?

I think you can do it much faster through the "manage my kindle" section of your account at amazon.com

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
nm figured it out if you want to sync collections you have to FIRST d/l books then hit sync collections. wish there was one button to d/l all archived books but it's coo at least the collections are synced

Wiktor

Nook with Glowlight looks glorious. It's a shame they don't distribute it in Europe.

I think Glowlight is great feature, but I won't abandon whole ecosystem for it. Especially since we all know next Kindle refresh will have it and I'm hoping it will be better implemeneted (ie..the light will be even on the whole screen) than in Nook

THRILLH0

Banned
Whenever I finish a book I get the "Before you go tweet/rate" splash and a message to page forwards or backwards to return to the book.

I can't page forwards presumably because I'm on the last page but if I hit home, the last dot on the book's progress bar is unfilled.

Is this normal behaviour? No big deal obviously but it just strikes me as a touch sloppy that you can't "finish" books the way you can on the Kobo.

centracore

Whenever I finish a book I get the "Before you go tweet/rate" splash and a message to page forwards or backwards to return to the book.

I can't page forwards presumably because I'm on the last page but if I hit home, the last dot on the book's progress bar is unfilled.

Is this normal behaviour? No big deal obviously but it just strikes me as a touch sloppy that you can't "finish" books the way you can on the Kobo.

I just got a Kindle 4 last weekend and have finished a couple books so far - I was wondering the exact same thing myself.. anyone know the answer?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does anybody have a Kindle bought in one Region (let's say, the UK) and registered on the US Amazon Store?

I ask because I have recently bought a Kindle from the US and It's registered in the US. However, there's a rumor going around that in September, Amazon is going to start selling Kindles down here in Brazil. My cousin really wants one, but I told her to wait on the importing (which will take almost 3 months), and buy one locally instead (when/if it comes out until the end of the year). However, she wants to register it in the US Store (because there are more books, more deals, she can easily read in English and she has no interest in Brazilian books).

So, can you currently register a Kindle from one region in another region Amazon store?

Does anybody have a Kindle bought in one Region (let's say, the UK) and registered on the US Amazon Store?

I ask because I have recently bought a Kindle from the US and It's registered in the US. However, there's a rumor going around that in September, Amazon is going to start selling Kindles down here in Brazil. My cousin really wants one, but I told her to wait on the importing (which will take almost 3 months), and buy one locally instead (when/if it comes out until the end of the year). However, she wants to register it in the US Store (because there are more books, more deals, she can easily read in English and she has no interest in Brazilian books).

So, can you currently register a Kindle from one region in another region Amazon store?

I live in Canada and own a Kindle Wifi/3G Keyboard that is registered on the US store. I buy books from amazon.ca and amazon.com when it suits me.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this doesn't answer your question due to region issues. I have no idea about that. Sorry.

Lumiere

Neo Member

I brought a US Kindle to my dad in Italy and he registered it to Amazon.it, he's been using it for a few months now without any problem. I know it's not exactly what you are asking, but if you can use a US Kindle with other Amazons, I would imagine you can also use Kindles from other regions on US Amazon.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I live in Canada and own a Kindle Wifi/3G Keyboard that is registered on the US store. I buy books from amazon.ca and amazon.com when it suits me.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this doesn't answer your question due to region issues. I have no idea about that. Sorry.

You have an US Kindle that's registered in the Canadian Amazon Store. Of course it answers.. :D

I brought a US Kindle to my dad in Italy and he registered it to Amazon.it, he's been using it for a few months now without any problem. I know it's not exactly what you are asking, but if you can use a US Kindle with other Amazons, I would imagine you can also use Kindles from other regions on US Amazon.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Kindle from one region working on other region stores.

Thanks a lot!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Just got an iPad last week. I don't understand how people can read books on it. Though magazines like the Economist look beautiful on it, it is no replacement for a Kindle.

That being the case, I'm eager for a Kindle with color eInk now more than ever. The ability to read color graphs and charts would be amazing. However, the current color eInk technology seems like it's still not quite up to Kindle quality. It's no secret Kindle sales have dropped off dramatically in Q1 with an estimated 1.75 million sold compared to 7 million in Q4 of last year, and AMZ has to do something for the Kindle 5 towards the end of the year.

Amazon announced today that in June all the Harry Potter books will be coming to their Lending Library program. In other words, if you own a Kindle and belong to Amazon Prime, you can read thousands of books without paying for them, now including Harry Potter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I live in Canada. Amazon.ca does not sell Kindle products, but the book selection on Amazon.com is tailored to Canada versus the US. I also maintain a US mailing address, and I switch between the two to secure the best selection / cost.

I think buying stuff on Amazon.co.uk or one of the other stores that's actually separate from Amazon.com would be different than switching your mailing address and buying different books on Amazon.com.

So, kindle says it's adding harry potter to their lending library in june in like 5 different languages. Is there a way to choose which language you borrow in? Are any other books like that?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Amazon announced today that in June all the Harry Potter books will be coming to their Lending Library program. In other words, if you own a Kindle and belong to Amazon Prime, you can read thousands of books without paying for them, now including Harry Potter.

This is good to hear, but I'm not sure how much of a boost it will have on sales.

Curufinwe

I live in the US and bought my mother a kindle for Christmas and registered it to New Zealand where she lives, and when I bought a couple of books on it before I mailed it to her I got emails from Amazon saying they detected purchases were being made outside of the kindle's home country. Basically they knew, and they threatened to forcibly change the country to United States if I made any more purchases from there. So I didn't put any more books on it before I mailed it to New Zealand.

Hello,

I see that you attempted to purchase ________ while in a different country than New Zealand listed on your Amazon account. Certain Kindle titles are not available everywhere. We're concerned about the activity on your account and are reaching out to you for information to ensure the best possible service for your account.

If you have moved to a different country, you can easily update your country for your Amazon account at http://www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle.

If this is not the case, and you’re actually residing in New Zealand, please fax us any of the following at 001-206-266-1838 when faxing from outside the US, or 206-266-1838 from within the US:

– Passport
– Military ID
– Permanent Resident Card
– Driver’s License
– Other state photo identity card

We want to assure you that we handle this information in a secure manner: these are dedicated fax lines, staffed in an area with limited employee access. The fax is never printed, just converted to an electronic image that is used to check the country, then the image is deleted.

If we do not receive a fax with the information requested above, we may need to limit your country setting at http://www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle to United States.

Thank you for your assistance.

Top Bottom