• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

jayb

oh cool. I just noticed in the Manage Your Devices settings on Amazon, there is a screen savers preferences section. It lets you choose the types of ads you wish to see on your Kindle with Special Offers.

Ramma2

This is good to hear, but I'm not sure how much of a boost it will have on sales.

If I was looking to buy all of the Potter ebooks from Pottermore, it would run ~58$. I would easily spring for the extra 20$ to get Prime for a year and probably get hooked.

Plus when you go to Amazon.com and the first thing you see is a massive Potter scroll, imagine all the people that have no idea what Pottermore is or want to bother with importing ebooks via their PC.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It's definitely something to help boost sales, even if only marginally before the end of the year. Still, AMZ stock keeps dropping and I'm not happy. :(

I'm really curious to see the new Kindle, doubt I'll buy one but I didn't think we were anywhere near getting a color screen.

I really hope that Amazon goes with both a touch screen and page turn buttons with the next Kindle. I bought my Kindle Keyboard before the Simple Touch and 4 were out, and while I think I probably would have still gone with a Kindle I really like having touch for menus and buttons for page turning. Sucks you have to choose one or the other with Kindle.

Previously I was planning on waiting for a higher-res screen to upgrade, the smaller size of the newer models is nice but I can definitely live with my Keyboard. The front light is really, really cool though, she doesn't mind too much but I feel guilty when my girlfriend is over and I have light on to read while she's trying to sleep. Hopefully Amazon doesn't skip that feature if they consider a color screen their big addition.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long to see something.

Cheebo

Banned
There is no way we will get color this year.Color e-ink is still too expense and not high quality enough. It has kind of a weird gray filter on it that makes it look pretty weak.

This year will probably just be backlight.

luoapp

At the pace of current development of tablets, I doubt we will ever see a successful color e-ink device. People are just too spoiled. And don't forget, OLED is eagerly waiting on the sideline.

I hope amazon doesn't include a backlight on the new Kindle, It reduces the screen's contrast:

cwnB6.jpg

They should focus on reducing page refresh and increase the screen resolution.

jayb

Its a front light, not a back light. It includes an extra layer on top of the eink screen, which causesthe slight decrease in contrast.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I broke my Kindle 3 last night and just got a Kindle Touch 3G with that BB promotion. It's good so far. I figured I'd hate touch on an e-reader.

Ramma2

Hmmm the only reason I keep my Kindle in the case is to use the light, so having a light built in would be nice. I hope it looks good!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sounds like just the touch which their main e-ink e-reader.

I see. So it's replacing their touch version, or is it selling alongside it? Also, same question for the Kindle Fire 8.9". Because if they are updating their other models then I was wondering if they're going to update their lowest model?

jayb

I see. So it's replacing their touch version, or is it selling alongside it? Also, same question for the Kindle Fire 8.9". Because if they are updating their other models then I was wondering if they're going to update their lowest model?

obviously no one knows right now, but I'm going to guess that it'll be similar to how the nook glowlight is sold... the lighted kindle will be sold along side the current kindle touch. I doubt they'll add the light to the non-touch model, since the point of that version is keeping the cost as low as possible.

myyah998

Saw this in other forum

Kindle 3 M-Edge New Yorker Cover with Light for $9.99 shipped
http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle3-newyorker.psp?device=kindle3

Add the cover to your cart for $9.99.
Then add the light and the price of the light will be credited.
Free shipping.

Sounds like a good deal to me, I'm getting 2.

I ordered this couple of weeks ago and really happy with them. The only thing is that the front cover has slight bubbling since it's cloth. Also, I couldn't figure out how to open the battery cover to the light and finally had to go look for youtube video on how to open.

Kem0sabe

I´m really interested in buying a kindle for my summer reading at the beach. Should i go with the touch or the normal version? considering it will be used mostly outdoors.

P.S just read about the new kindle in July, tho i doubt amazon will update their European store with it at the same time they update their u.s store. So... is the wait worth it or is the display basically the same?

I´m really interested in buying a kindle for my summer reading at the beach. Should i go with the touch or the normal version? considering it will be used mostly outdoors.

P.S just read about the new kindle in July, tho i doubt amazon will update their European store with it at the same time they update their u.s store. So... is the wait worth it or is the display basically the same?

The touch probably needs to be refined, so just go with the normal button version for now. Waiting for upgrades would be smart.

jayb

The touch probably needs to be refined, so just go with the normal button version for now. Waiting for upgrades would be smart.
The only thing i'd add to the touch is hardware buttons. Other than that its great, and the latest OS redesigned the home screen to look less cluttered. I'm actually finding X-ray useful too.

With that said, might as well wait if they really will release an update in the summer.

Kem0sabe

The only thing i'd add to the touch is hardware buttons. Other than that its great, and the latest OS redesigned the home screen to look less cluttered. I'm actually finding X-ray useful too.

With that said, might as well wait if they really will release an update in the summer.

I´ve read somewhere that the screen would be illuminated for night reading in the next touch upgrade this summer.

I´ve read somewhere that the screen would be illuminated for night reading in the next touch upgrade this summer.

That's what the Nook has done, so of course the rumors are going to suggest that Kindles will do the same thing. The Nook sacrificed contrast for the light though, so it's probably best to wait and read reviews.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

The other day Amazon sent out an email offer for a refurbished Kindle for $50. Someone I know combined thisnwithnone of the "$10 for $20" gift card from Amazon and was able to pick one up for $40. If you can pull that off, I'd say it's well worth picking up.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

I took one of these for a test drive. The technology is not quite there yet. You sacrifice way too much in battery and screen quality just to avoid turning on a lamp.

I live at the beach (still only have a K3), but I have a few concerns about the KTouch and beach reading. First, sand on the screen would drive me nuts. No matter how many times you brush off your hands at the beach, there will always be invisible ninja sand on your fingers. Second, the bezel doesn't sit flush against the screen because of the RF-sensor used for the "touch screen", and I can see myself inadvertently brushing the ninja sand into the cracks. A little grit probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I try and keep the insides of my electronics as sand-free as possible.

Kem0sabe

So the Kindle classic would be my best choice for outdoor use. It´s currently sitting at little more than 90 euros at amazon.co.uk.

I think ill buy it, not too worried about them refreshing the product line as much as i would be in buying an apple computer/gadget, after all... it´s only use is to read books, and if that works fine, then great :)

A quick question tho, is the page turning slow or is it smooth? and is there any kind of "ghosting"?

A quick question tho, is the page turning slow or is it smooth? and is there any kind of "ghosting"?

You can change the setting, last I heard. It will do a small refresh, which can result in minimal ghosting, and then a full one every six pages. You can make it so it does a full refresh every page.

gcubed

my wife's kindle (2 years old) just froze up. Half the screen is stuck on the screen saver with dots everywhere. I've heard that amazon gives discounts even if you are out of your warranty? Still worth a call?

Kem0sabe

my wife's kindle (2 years old) just froze up. Half the screen is stuck on the screen saver with dots everywhere. I've heard that amazon gives discounts even if you are out of your warranty? Still worth a call?

In Europe there´s a 2 year warranty on most (if not all?) electronic equipment. Where you from? and has it been exactly 2 years?

The other day i had my ipod nano die out, and it had been around 16 months from when i bought it, store exchanged it with no questions asked.

gcubed

In Europe there´s a 2 year warranty on most (if not all?) electronic equipment. Where you from? and has it been exactly 2 years?

The other day i had my ipod nano die out, and it had been around 16 months from when i bought it, store exchanged it with no questions asked.

I'm in the US. Its listed as one.

Xmonkey, thanks, I have i think like 4 or 5 in my order history between mine, my wifes, and gifts to people in our family

clav

Is it a Kindle Keyboard?

gcubed

Is it a Kindle Keyboard?

yeah its a kindle keyboard. I called them and they offered a replacement kindle keyboard for $65. I didn't pull the trigger on it yet because i'm not sure that's that great of a deal considering a w/offers new one is 79 (and the offers are so trivial that its not that big of a selling point having an "offers" version). Her case is falling apart also, so its not like she'd lose the use of the old case.

Hope we hear about the new Kindles soon, my grandpa wants one for Father's Day and I told my mom and grandma that they should wait for the new one but they want to give him something on Father's Day and they're not going to be happy if I tell them to wait and it turns out we're not getting the new models until later in the year.

I'm probably going to get the new one too, I got my Keyboard almost a year ago and told myself I wouldn't upgrade until they got a higher resolution screen but the built-in light with the whole "doesn't let light escape" thing is really cool.

Hope we hear about the new Kindles soon, my grandpa wants one for Father's Day and I told my mom and grandma that they should wait for the new one but they want to give him something on Father's Day and they're not going to be happy if I tell them to wait and it turns out we're not getting the new models until later in the year.

I'm probably going to get the new one too, I got my Keyboard almost a year ago and told myself I wouldn't upgrade until they got a higher resolution screen but the built-in light with the whole "doesn't let light escape" thing is really cool.

The new ones are supposed to be announced in July.

Top Bottom