• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

sangreal

$69 kindle:
amazon-event-2012-_1269.jpg

dwebo

You sure? The Verge article HiroProtagonist linked a few posts up says the $69 Kindle has the higher res screen, just no light.

they would've announced higher ppi if it had it. new fonts and crisper text sounds like software enhancements to me

one of the recent kindle 4 firmware updates included something similar

Alright, looks like I'm getting the $120 version.

they would've announced higher ppi if it had it. new fonts and crisper text sounds like software enhancements to me

one of the recent kindle 4 firmware updates included something similar

Ah, alright, that's a bit misleading.

If you go to Amazon right now they still have all the old models up, hopefully people unaware of the conference aren't still buying them. You'd think they'd update the store immediately.

would preorder now if it had side buttons.

need to read some hands on previews if the responsiveness is better. Got my mom a touch and I wasn't a fan.

Funny enough, kindle 4 + lighted cover costs more than the new lighted kindle and a cheap ass case.

The timer that shows you an estimate of how much time you have left to finish a chapter is great. I am always reading before bed and always wondering if I should finish the chapter I am or not, but worried I may stay up too late.

Edit: Pre-ordered Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi and no-ads!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$119 is special offers, $139 without.

How does that compare to the previous version? Bit concerned that the price will go up in the UK, touch is £109 over here.

I also hope they get their production ramped up so we don't have to wait so long before its out over here. At least before Christmas would be nice.

How does that compare to the previous version? Bit concerned that the price will go up in the UK, touch is £109 over here.

I also hope they get their production ramped up so we don't have to wait so long before its out over here. At least before Christmas would be nice.

kindle touch with offers was $99.

Do the old kindles get the new fonts? lol

Didn't kindles get an update in the past few months that offered some new enhanced font or something? Description was abit weird.

The price difference is a lot smaller than previous versions, which was around $30 to $50.

Didn't kindles get an update in the past few months that offered some new enhanced font or something? Description was abit weird.

The default font was touched up to make it a little bit bolder without losing space.

speaking of which... how do I get rid of my old kindle lol.

Can you even buy used kindles on amazon?

I guess i'll just give it to a relative as a gift for christmas :/

vazel

Banned
Damn, the wait is going to be annoying. My current out of warranty Kindle is damaged and I was hoping to quickly replace it.

Don't amazon have pretty lenient return policies and what not with their kindles?

Might just snag one to try out.

Been pretty satisfied with my kindle 4 with that expensive ass lighted case.

flowsnake

Does anyone remember how long it took the UK to get the Kindle Touch last year?

Fake edit: I just looked, and apparently we got it in April 2012. :/ So I'll predict around April next year for Paperwhite.

On the other hand, I really shouldn't get one, so it's probably for the best...

Vyer

Yeah, definitely thinking about upgrading my keyboard to the paperlight.

Don't amazon have pretty lenient return policies and what not with their kindles?

Might just snag one to try out.

Been pretty satisfied with my kindle 4 with that expensive ass lighted case.

Yeah, they are very good with returns.

I hope they announce Paperwhite for the UK soon. The long, long delay in the first Fire's release basically made me get a Nexus 7 instead.

Frustrating that with every glut of Amazon hardware refreshes, the one that they don't make available here is always the one I want...

Just looking at the way Amazon refers to the screen I'm pretty sure it's just a high resolution Pearl screen, but because of Amazon's "patented built-in light", changes they've made to the fonts, and darker body color they are saying it's 25% better contrast. Which I'm sure is true, but it's not really a new E-ink screen.

Still really want to upgrade from my Kindle 2.

hmmm if I pick one of these up, I'm thinking of getting a sleeve this time.

The lighted covers were great, but they pretty much doubled the weight and size of the kindle.

Any recommendations for a good sleeve?

Wow, I just watched the hands-on thing, I didn't fully understand the "it gauges your reading speed" thing before but that's really, really cool. For anyone who hasn't/ can't watch the video, it keeps track of how long it takes you to finish a page and you can toggle the "percentage read" display to an estimate of how much time you have left to finish the chapter and the rest of the book. That's going to great when I'm reading at night and am not sure whether I should start a new chapter if it'll last too long.

hmmm if I pick one of these up, I'm thinking of getting a sleeve this time.

The lighted covers were great, but they pretty much doubled the weight and size of the kindle.

Any recommendations for a good sleeve?

Waterfield Designs makes really great sleeves, they're pricy though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone remember how long it took the UK to get the Kindle Touch last year?

Fake edit: I just looked, and apparently we got it in April 2012. :/ So I'll predict around April next year for Paperwhite.

On the other hand, I really shouldn't get one, so it's probably for the best...

new kindle fire/HD and the standard kindle are up for preorder now. So hopefully the touch will be soon.

Just looking at the way Amazon refers to the screen I'm pretty sure it's just a high resolution Pearl screen, but because of Amazon's "patented built-in light", changes they've made to the fonts, and darker body color they are saying it's 25% better contrast. Which I'm sure is true, but it's not really a new E-ink screen.

Still really want to upgrade from my Kindle 2.
You're correct.

http://www.eink.com/customer_showcase_kindle_paperwhite.html

Oh, and I just notices that the Paperwhite lacks audio. I don't use my Kindle to listen to audio books, but I know some of you do.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's going to great when I'm reading at night and am not sure whether I should start a new chapter if it'll last too long.

It's a pretty awesome feature, but when I'm reading at night and can't decide whether to start a new chapter or not, I always just flip ahead and see how many pages it is.

BTW, what are the ads like on Kindle? I'm leaning towards the $119 Paperwhite model, but if the ads are horrible I might I have to get the other one.

It's a pretty awesome feature, but when I'm reading at night and can't decide whether to start a new chapter or not, I always just flip ahead and see how many pages it is.

BTW, what are the ads like on Kindle? I'm leaning towards the $119 Paperwhite model, but if the ads are horrible I might I have to get the other one.

You can pay to have the ads turned off.

barely notice them.

but i have wifi off most of the time, so the ads stop showing up if you are offline lol.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Well I stepped on my Kindle keyboard a few weeks ago - so seems like a good time as any to get the paperwight

That's exactly what I do as well, but just tapping the corner of the screen and getting an estimated time remaining is way, way more convenient than flipping pages until you find the end of the chapter.

It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is, especially since I read at different speeds at different times (if I'm reading outside I get distracted a lot more often than if I'm at home reading).

xJavonta

Banned
The new 16GB Kindle is really cool looking. Perfect size (8.9") and great resolution (1920x1200). However, I just feel like they should have priced it $50 lower. At $300, it's competing with an iPad 2g 16GB (refurb model) which is $350.
The iPad is $50 more, but with the superior gaming capabilities it's a better deal than the Kindle.

However, if you're web browsing and reading books primarily I'd definitely go for the new KF instead

Top Bottom