• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

How soon after they have those FCC things are the new products available? How do you know this is Amazon stuff? So confusing on those links. *shrugs*

In the past it's been about a month from announcement to shipping, but this time I expect them to pull an Apple and make them immediately available after the reveal. This is the first time they've cleared out all of their current stock in preparation for new models.

Mairu

No one else posted yet?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/3280770/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-display

rnA8t.jpg

The overall shape of the product and the location of the USB port and power switch appear to be essentially unchanged. From the images we have, it looks like Amazon will be touting the unit with "higher contrast, high resolution, integrated lighting, and eight weeks of battery life," even when using the light. The retail name for this unit is unclear — Amazon could simply call it the Kindle Touch again, but "Paperwhite" might factor in as well.
More photos at the link

I like how that design looks, but if there's no version with actual page turn buttons i'll probably just stay with Kindle 3. I don't really like using touchscreen e-readers, I prefer the buttons

teiresias

The higher resolution bit has me excited. I'll give my Kindle 3 away to a co-worker and get this new one if they offer this new higher resolution screen on one with physical buttons.

I am getting tired of having to buy brand new cases for every Kindle I get though!

mandiller

Higher contrast, higher resolution and an integrated light? That's all of my boxes ticked except for one: page turn buttons.

Argh. I'll still probably buy it but they should've added buttons to make this the ultimate kindle.

iammeiam

Looks like the people that wanted physical turn buttons are out of luck.

This is really too bad--hopefully the buttons-having-Kindle sticks around a few more years so we get an iteration with buttons and the new, improved screen. I'm going to be pretty sad the day Amazon moves to an all-touch Kindle lineup.

Vyer

Damn that's sounding good. Honestly I don't even really need it with an iPad, Nexus 7 and Kindle Keyboard in the family, but I just really enjoy reading on the eink screen. An upgrade from the Keyboard would be nice...

Damn, they knocked this out of the ballpark. I figured they'd just throw in the light.

Honestly this isn't surprising, Nook with Glowlight has been out for like half a year at this point, Amazon would have looked pretty bad if they took that long just to match it in features.

I'm really interested in seeing the new screen, I've really never had a complaint about the screen on my Keyboard.

Anyway, I'm pretty much day one for this, really glad I'm not tempted to switch over to a Nook. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here, besides the page turn buttons there seemingly isn't much room for improvement going forward.

bangai-o

Banned
will our custom wallpapers still fit the whole screen with the upped res? because when you put a smaller image at 600 pixels it only fills partial.

anyway. i am also still on the K3. this can likely be a day one.

I have to agree with you. Focusing on the resolution is a much better idea at this stage. I don't know how much of a priority this is for the company, however.

Higher resolution e ink devices already have come on the market (such as the iriver story HD) and made no impact. I've seen one in person and it really doesn't make a big difference in readability.

On the other hand, I believe that the low contrast of e ink is one of the things that cripples the existing color display they have, as the complaint seems to be that it has dull colors on a grey background.

Anyway, it seems that the new kindle will have a higher contrast, so I'm pleased.

Will there be a keyboard model?

bangai-o

Banned
*looks up iriver*

it is at 1024 res. so i wonder if that would default be the same res that this new kinlde goes with. or will 1200 res keep the device under a hundred dollars.

Wiktor

Higher resolution e ink devices already have come on the market (such as the iriver story HD) and made no impact. I've seen one in person and it really doesn't make a big difference in readability.

On the other hand, I believe that the low contrast of e ink is one of the things that cripples the existing color display they have, as the complaint seems to be that it has dull colors on a grey background.

Anyway, it seems that the new kindle will have a higher contrast, so I'm pleased.

Will there be a keyboard model?

This. E-ink doesn't display images the way lcd does, the individual pixels are much less visible than in the same res on regular screen. Having bigger res would of course be nicer, as it would make manga easier on eyes, but for text only the dfference isn't huge and increasing the contrast is a lot more important. If they get close to real black text on white backround it will be the perfect book replacement.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it confirmed it will only be touch? I doubt they will remove the cheapest option (one without touchscreen) or leave it with old e-ink.
If he's like me, I want the touch model with buttons, too.

Having played around the with the Touch quite a bit, I'm surprised how much I don't miss physical page turn buttons. I really thought I'd miss them.

It is about time Eink upgraded their screens though. They have said in the past they work on a 2 year cycle and I can't imagine Pearl was as good as it gets. I do think some of you are underestimating how important improved resolution is for an ereader. I thought the iRiver HD, while not significant, was very noticeable and definitely better looking. I imagine it also helps with contrast as the edges would be more clearly defined.

I wonder if Paperwhite is Eink's name for the new tech.

Cheebo

Banned
Is it confirmed it will only be touch? I doubt they will remove the cheapest option (one without touchscreen) or leave it with old e-ink.

They only took the touch and kindle fire out of stock. Not the cheap one. This is the new touch. They are likely not doing anything new with the cheap model. Adding a higher rez screen and light would increase its cost when its appeal is the cheap model is very cheap anyway.

Ledsen

I often read my Kindle 3 in bed, laying on one side and holding it with only one hand. Under those circumstances, is it still as easy to turn pages without any buttons?

Somnid

I often read my Kindle 3 in bed, laying on one side and holding it with only one hand. Under those circumstances, is it still as easy to turn pages without any buttons?

Yes. Buttons are the biggest imaginary issue there is with the Touch, I suspect from non-Touch owners. It's simply never an issue.

Zabka

The page turn area is big large enough to hit while holding from either side of the Touch.

I love mine. I thought the lack of buttons would be a problem too but I don't miss them at all. I thought fingerprints would be an issue too but I haven't had to clean it yet. Typing is pretty good, more responsive than I expected.

I'm not sure I'd like a super high-contrast white display. Will be interesting to see.

Vyer

Looking closer at that shot the edge of the bezel almost looks metallic. Man I hope it doesn't have some sort of metal back.

jayb

the higher contrast and resolution might get me to upgrade to the paperwhite from my kindle touch. and the integrated lighting is a just a bonus.

Van Owen

Banned
Looks pretty hot.

My mom got a Kindle at some conference yesterday and gave it to me. Honestly kind of prefer my Kindle Keyboard since the bezel feels better in my hands.

The built in light is nice, but I would feel no need to upgrade from the Kindle 3 if this 4th gen one I got wasn't free.

Wiktor

They only took the touch and kindle fire out of stock. Not the cheap one. This is the new touch. They are likely not doing anything new with the cheap model. Adding a higher rez screen and light would increase its cost when its appeal is the cheap model is very cheap anyway.

If that's true they will have to heavily discount the price of basic model.

I see no reason the price would go up if they upgraded the screen. The price dropped when they moved to Pearl from Vizplex.

Yes. Buttons are the biggest imaginary issue there is with the Touch, I suspect from non-Touch owners. It's simply never an issue.

What? It is hardly an imaginary for me and others. Given that I have a Nook Touch where I have the OPTION of using either the touch screen or page turn buttons, I highly prefer using the buttons while reading.

jayb

I see no reason the price would go up if they upgraded the screen. The price dropped when they moved to Pearl from Vizplex.

The Nook Glowlight increased the cost over the normal nook touch. the new kindle paperwhite display with a light could very easily cost more than the current kindle touch.

Ramma2

As long as I can still comfortably turn the page using the thumb of my hand holding the kindle, I could make the move to no buttons. But if I have to adjust my grip for each page turn that would get annoying quick.

What? It is hardly an imaginary for me and others. Given that I have a Nook Touch where I have the OPTION of using either the touch screen or page turn buttons, I highly prefer using the buttons while reading.

It eventually won't matter. Future generations won't even understand why we ever had buttons to change the page in the first place.

The Nook Touch has the worst page turn buttons, too. It felt like B&N put them on there to encourage people to hate page turn buttons.

The Nook Glowlight increased the cost over the normal nook touch. the new kindle paperwhite display with a light could very easily cost more than the current kindle touch.

I'm just referring to the Eink tech, not the addition of the light which Eink has nothing to do with. If Amazon continues there trend of various units we will have light and non-light versions of all models. I probably get one without the light personally.

Fireye

Is there any reason to hack a kindle touch? A quick look on google didn't turn up anything of much interest other than getting rid of the ads.
I'm late to reply, but better late than never, right?

There are some really neat things you can do with a hacked Kindle5 (Kindle Touch). JBPatch allows you to modify how the Kindle software itself operates. I had hoped to use this to develop a "show current book cover as screensaver" app, but alas, I'm stuck with a Kindle4 (Non-Touch), which doesnt' support JBPatch.

There's also a GUI Launcher available, to kick off apps and settings changes more easily.

Regarding the new kindles, I'm a bit sad that it isn't looking like there'll be a Color EInk kindle, but if they can deliver on higher resolution B&W eink (maybe with some more greyscale shades), then I'll upgrade from my K4. I haven't seen EInk put out any new B&W tech, I know they've been working on a next-gen color EInk (after Triton)... maybe they've just refined the B&W process.

The only solid EInk news in the past few months appears to have been their purchase of SiPix, which was a competitor tech to EInk, with very similar technology. You can read a breakdown of their implementation here.

ksimm

I wonder if Samsung Transparent LCD screens will eventually be used as an e-ink alternative?
I couldn't help but wonder what a Kindle would look like with one stuck onto real white paper, then the paper is LED backlit to give a nice soft glow at night.

Looking at this amazing video http://youtu.be/Z1cg6HMXx68 I think it could be pretty damn cool, and interactive colour magazines could be displayed nicely too.

e_i

I'm selling my Fire, but going to get the Kindle Touch with white screen. Be nice if they had a glowlight as well.

Melville

How is the English dictionary? I'm currently reading Moby Dick (actual book) and there are quite a few difficult/archaic words that aren't even in my Oxford dictionary.

vazel

Banned
I woke up this morning and I saw my Kindle now has a black splotch on its screen and Amazon won't replace it because it's out of warranty(bought early 2011). That's disappointing as Logitech replaces my stuff even when it's out of warranty. Amazon will only give me a discount on a replacement.

I see there's some sort of announcement coming on the 6th. I'll wait until then to see if the new Kindles are released.

Top Bottom