• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Alucard

Banned
I'm going to order an e-book reader for my wife today. Which of the kindles is the best? I think she'd like to have some internet and email stuff too. With our new young one, it would be nice for her to be able to flip through stuff on her bed while breastfeeding.

Thinking of the amazon fire, the kindle 3g, the kindle touch, of the basic kindle. I've read that there really is no perfect e-reader. All of them have a flaw of some kind.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! Want to order before noon and get it here before the weekend.

Review of Kindle Fire from a customer:

"The Kindle Fire is more of a multi-purpose tablet. Nice if you want movies, games, email, etc., but you don't get Collections, the battery lasts only hours instead of weeks, and I find it a bit too heavy for extended reading." Waaaah?

Reading at night would be good too, though! And in the sun! Is there something that does it all?

MasLegio

Banned
I'm going to order an e-book reader for my wife today. Which of the kindles is the best? I think she'd like to have some internet and email stuff too. With our new young one, it would be nice for her to be able to flip through stuff on her bed while breastfeeding.

Thinking of the amazon fire, the kindle 3g, the kindle touch, of the basic kindle. I've read that there really is no perfect e-reader. All of them have a flaw of some kind.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! Want to order before noon and get it here before the weekend.

wait until new Kindle-models are released if you can

if you are considering the Kindle Fire for internet and stuff I would suggest you buy the new iPad instead since it is better for reading and internet. If it is only for ebooks you should get one of the other Kindle Models since they have the proper eInk display unless the Fire which has a regular screen.

Somnid

Review of Kindle Fire from a customer:

"The Kindle Fire is more of a multi-purpose tablet. Nice if you want movies, games, email, etc., but you don't get Collections, the battery lasts only hours instead of weeks, and I find it a bit too heavy for extended reading." Waaaah?

New Kindles are getting announced tomorrow. Don't jump the gun even if it's a present, I'm sure she'll understand. They're sold out of most models anyway.

Edit: If you need a tablet type thing now get a Nexus 7 and if you want a backlit eReader you can get a Nook Glowlight right now. Amazon will be releasing competitor products to both of these tomorrow though so I still recommend waiting but you do have some options if it's very important to have it by the weekend. New Amazon stuff will probably need at least another week or so before it starts shipping.

MasLegio

Banned
Reading at night would be good too, though! And in the sun! Is there something that does it all?
reading in the sun REQUIRES eINK, also eInk models are lighter to carry as well as they have month-long battery life compared to reflective screens and weight of Fire and new iPad

wait and see what new eInk-models are released tomorrow, there will also probably be pricecuts on current models as well

Oh man, that hardware update look good. Guess I can finally jump on the e-ink bandwagon since it seems my main two complains, the screen color and the low resolution, are being addressed.

It will come down to an eInk Kindle and an iPad Mini for me. I eventually need something to replace my dead Kindle. Waiting a month for the iPad Mini announcement will be tough.

Wouldn't reading on a bright white background be harsh on the eyes? Printed books aren't made using bright white paper. I'm going to have to check it out in person before deciding if I'm going to upgrade.... and there better be a bunch of fonts to choose from.

Loving the 8 weeks battery charge though.
My kindle4 Non touch holds a weak charge compared to the kindle keyboard I used to have.

KingKong

It will come down to an eInk Kindle and an iPad Mini for me. I eventually need something to replace my dead Kindle. Waiting a month for the iPad Mini announcement will be tough.

I have a Kindle Touch and this is what I'm thinking. the Touch is really awful for PDFs, but I'm hoping the Mini is retina since even poorly scanned PDFs are super readable on the retina iPhone

Alucard

Banned
Will the new models be released or only announced tomorrow? This is like the best idea I've ever had for a gift for my wife, and I don't wanna mess it up. :p

Will probably just get a basic model Kindle for now and upgrade for her later.

jayb

Will the new models be released or only announced tomorrow? This is like the best idea I've ever had for a gift for my wife, and I don't wanna mess it up. :p

Will probably just get a basic model Kindle for now and upgrade for her later.

I think the basic K4 was available the same day as when it was announced last year. so there's a good bet that it could be the same way tomorrow.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think the basic K4 was available the same day as when it was announced last year. so there's a good bet that it could be the same way tomorrow.

I'd bet good money that the ink readers, at least, are available tomorrow. I mean, they currently have no touch model for sale... can't imagine they'll go a few more weeks w/o having any to sell.

Chuckl3s

A couple of days ago my little boy broke the end of his headphone jack inside his kindle touch. I tried my hardest to get it out with no success. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you guys have a good idea on how to get it out?

If no for the first.

2. I was reading online that Amazon has great customer service. In another forum, someone actually called Amazon stating they had the same issue as me and Amazon sent them a brand new kindle. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Madridy

Kindle and E-Readers novice here.

I'm looking to buy the upcoming refresh of the Kindle, but I'm still not sure which to buy the normal or the touch.

Any owners of the two could give their impressions and what they like and don't if possible? Thanks

Also is there a list of all the books available in the Kindle store?

I have some books on my Amazon's wishlist and wanted to make sure they're available in the Kindle store.

sangreal

A couple of days ago my little boy broke the end of his headphone jack inside his kindle touch. I tried my hardest to get it out with no success. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you guys have a good idea on how to get it out?

If no for the first.

2. I was reading online that Amazon has great customer service. In another forum, someone actually called Amazon stating they had the same issue as me and Amazon sent them a brand new kindle. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Amazon's service is amazing so this story does not surprise me at all. Contact them online and see what they say. No harm in trying

Kindle and E-Readers novice here.

I'm looking to buy the upcoming refresh of the Kindle, but I'm still not sure which to buy the normal or the touch.

Any owners of the two could give their impressions and what they like and don't if possible? Thanks

Normal - Some have built in 3G access, physical keyboard, page turn buttons, a bit bulkier
Touch - Quicker/easier navigation, smaller physical size but same screen size, lacks 3G

Also is there a list of all the books available in the Kindle store?

I have some books on my Amazon's wishlist and wanted to make sure they're available in the Kindle store.

Amazon has their own Kindle section for you to browse. A pure list would be too huge. It's much easier for you to go search or browse through their Kindle section. You can also go through your wishlist, click on a title and it will tell you all the formats it's available in including if there is a Kindle version.

Madridy

Tried that. All I see are five books... That is why I asked here. I think Amazon have region locked (I'm not from the US) their Kindle store...

Normal - Some have built in 3G access, physical keyboard, page turn buttons, a bit bulkier
Touch - Quicker/easier navigation, smaller physical size but same screen size, lacks 3G

Amazon has their own Kindle section for you to browse. A pure list would be too huge. It's much easier for you to go search or browse through their Kindle section. You can also go through your wishlist, click on a title and it will tell you all the formats it's available in including if there is a Kindle version.

Thanks, I think I'll go with the touch.

Also the books on my wishlist doesn't show any kindle version, I believe they did a while a go but not now. Amazon definitely region lock (IP blocked) their Kindle Store....

There are versions of the Touch with 3G.

Also, the OP has a chart showing all the differences between every Kindle model. There is also a section on every Kindle product page called "Compare Kindles".

The main contention between owners of the Touch and Non-Touch is physical page turn buttons, but the NT is also smaller. There is of course the model with a physical keyboard which is a a whole other beast.

chiQ

I think anyone thinking of buying an e-reader should try them out first. It's such an individual thing. I have a 3G Touch and adore it. My buddy got one too, and hated it. He sold it. We're both iPhone users, and pretty comfortable with the same large range of gadgets. The Kindle was a major point of divergence.

If you're buying one for your wife take her in the try them out for herself.

There are versions of the Touch with 3G.

Also, the OP has a chart showing all the differences between every Kindle model. There is also a section on every Kindle product page called "Compare Kindles".

The main contention between owners of the Touch and Non-Touch is physical page turn buttons, but the NT is also smaller. There is of course the model with a physical keyboard which is a a whole other beast.

Oops, forgot about that. I mixed up stripping the 3G out of the base model with the Touch.

Ledsen

Tried that. All I see are five books... That is why I asked here. I think Amazon have region locked (I'm not from the US) their Kindle store...

Thanks, I think I'll go with the touch.

Also the books on my wishlist doesn't show any kindle version, I believe they did a while a go but not now. Amazon definitely region lock (IP blocked) their Kindle Store....

Where are you from? I'm from Sweden and we have full access to the US Kindle store because we don't have out own Amazon.

MasLegio

Banned
Where are you from? I'm from Sweden and we have full access to the US Kindle store because we don't have out own Amazon.

Well not quite...
We have access to the international Kindle store not the US though it is the same store. It is using some kind of IP-detection in the background. This does mean that we have access to MOST US Kindle content but not all. Some content is only available to US citizens as I have been made aware of since I have been gifted books that were not available in my region as well as have been trying to buy books but ended being denied by amazon. (in the end I just downloaded them from Piratviken)

Ledsen

Well not quite...
We have access to the international Kindle store not the US though it is the same store. It is using some kind of IP-detection in the background. This does mean that we have access to MOST US Kindle content but not all. Some content is only available to US citizens as I have been made aware of since I have been gifted books that were not available in my region as well as have been trying to buy books but ended being denied by amazon. (in the end I just downloaded them from Piratviken)

Oh. The more you know...

Blackhead

Redarse
(Crossposting from the eReaders [OT| thread)

New Kindle and Kindle Fire Leaked in Commercial? - The Digital Reader

Nate said:
iF9DWpDCjCbgK.jpg

Someone has gotten their hands on what looks to be an ad from Amazon. The ad shows both the new Kindle Paperwhite as well as a 7″ Kindle Fire. I’m going to assume that the KF is also new, though that’s not clear.

According to reports on MobileRead, this commercial was aired during a football game Wednesday night...

http://youtu.be/3VvQ2zZ2seM

Black kindle is better than the silver plastic

Vyer

It was kinda cool to see new product reveal in a random commercial while I was watching the game last night.

sangreal

I have a Kindle Touch and this is what I'm thinking. the Touch is really awful for PDFs, but I'm hoping the Mini is retina since even poorly scanned PDFs are super readable on the retina iPhone

why is that? this could dampen my enthusiasm for getting a kindle quite a bit

renitou

Nice to see Amazon return to a black bezel after the Kindle 4; the silver sheen was an annoying distraction, especially right after they'd gotten it right with the Kindle 3/Keyboard matte black.

I hope that the screen lighting implementation differs from the Nook with Glowlight. I tested one back in May for about a week and found the loss of contrast and crispness of the text to not be a worthy trade-off for the convenience of the light source. It also had a much more green glow in reality as compared to marketing materials.

KingKong

why is that? this could dampen my enthusiasm for getting a kindle quite a bit

the text is very light and fuzzy and the navigation is also pretty bad. I think it has something to do with the e-ink display and the PDFs basically being pictures. Funnily enough the Kindle app on the iPhone is much better since it lets you quickly scroll through the pages and zoom in/out easily, and like I said, on the retina display it's crystal clear

Imagine the new readers will be better for PDFs, with higher resolution and greater processors, but probably still won't touch a tablet. Maybe a new DX would fit that need.

flyover

I'd never get an e-ink screen if I were primarily reading PDFs. tablets are best for that.

Yeah, e-ink is so much better for books, to me. But when reading PDFs of things like screenplays, iPad (or whatever tablet) is the way to go.

Kindle 'paperwhite' e-reader announced, $119 Wi-Fi and $179 3G models ship October 1st

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/3296627/amazon-new-kindle-paperwhite-announcement

Amid a storm of tablet-related hype and speculation, Amazon just announced the latest iteration of its "traditional" Kindle e-reader. It uses the expected new "paperwhite" screen technology for a sharper (212 ppi) and higher-contrast display, and also features a frontlight that brings parity with Barnes & Noble's Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. The interface has taken a page out of the Kindle Fire's book by offering a "cover mode" homescreen that lets you swipe through your library. The device also uses the same X-Ray content analysis feature found on the Kindle Touch, has controls for the light, and lets you change the fonts.

Amazon is touting its patented light guide technology which keeps the lighting even across the screen and allows you to leave it on all the time without detriment to battery life — it'll apparently last for eight weeks between charges. The touch technology means it has a thinner bezel, and at 9.1mm thin and 7.5 ounces Jeff Bezos describes the device as "thinner than a magazine, lighter than a paperback." The Kindle Paperwhite is available for order today and will start shipping on October 1st. The Wi-Fi model will cost $119, and the 3G-enabled variant will go for $179 — it's unclear if either model will employ Amazon's Special Offer ads.

H1r8Y.jpg

a2M6x.jpg

RXwjs.jpg

kS9F6.jpg

3QzzU.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/3298072/amazon-69-kindle-update-announcement
Amazon drops price of Kindle to $69, shipping September 14th
Alongside Amazon's announcement of its new Paperwhite devices, the company is dropping the price of its least expensive ad-supported ebook reader to $69. While it doesn't have the front-lit display of its newer sibling, a 12 percent drop from last year's $79 price could make the cheapest Kindle even more attractive. Aside from the price, the device is very similar to last year's model, offering the same 6-ounce weight, Wi-Fi connectivity, and 6-inch E Ink screen, but it adds the new fonts and crisper text of the Paperwhite devices. If that combination sounds good to you, the company says the updated device is launching on September 14th.

jayb

I'm definitely upgrading from my kindle touch. higher resolution and contrast, built it front light, black bezel, and capacitive screen seal the deal for me.

on a related note, I wonder if they'll update the kindle touch OS with the same book cover home page as the paperwhite, as well as the additional fonts they added.

Kindle Paperwhite looks tiny—much smaller than the touch. Is that why the screen is so dense?

edit: Looks shorter, but screen is same size as the touch. Nice.

Excited to upgrade from my Keyboard, especially after getting an iPad I've really been wishing the Kindle had a higher res screen, and ditching the awkward physical keyboard will be nice too.

Does the $69 version have a touch screen or physical buttons like the current low-end model? I don't really think the light is worth a $50 premium for me, but I take a lot of notes and a control pad isn't going to cut it.

Also, I didn't see any mention of ads, did they get rid of them or is there no option to buy ad-free models this time?

The pre-order pages aren't live yet, but they should be soon according to Ars Technica.

There's still a lot of questions to be answered about the new devices. But if the news stays good, I might upgrade from my K3. Lighter, better screen, better software, touch screen.

jayb

Excited to upgrade from my Keyboard, especially after getting an iPad I've really been wishing the Kindle had a higher res screen, and ditching the awkward physical keyboard will be nice too.

Does the $69 version have a touch screen or physical buttons like the current low-end model? I don't really think the light is worth a $50 premium for me, but I take a lot of notes and a control pad isn't going to cut it.

the $69 version has the same screen as the previous kindles. so no resolution upgrade for that model. and it's just physical buttons like the current $79 kindle.

the $69 version has the same screen as the previous kindles. so no resolution upgrade for that model. and it's just physical buttons like the current $79 kindle.
You sure? The Verge article HiroProtagonist linked a few posts up says the $69 Kindle has the higher res screen, just no light.

Top Bottom