• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

anyone looking at the official cover? $40 is a bit much, but it does look nice (persimmon, especially) and I like the fact that it will wake the kindle when you open it.

coopolon

Preordered the $120 version today. Wife and I have been wanting another one (we already have a 3rd Gen) for awhile now. For years now one of us gets the kindle and the other gets stuck with the ipad, but we wanted to wait until kindle added a light. Glad to see the other upgrades as well, am very excited for this product.

So you only get 250mb per month for $50 a year. That's not such a good deal.

Technically it is a great deal. Pretty amazing when put in perspective of the normal price plan. However, how useful it is, is a different story. It's amazing how all the carriers are pushing for faster speeds, but they have these small caps that you'll hit now even faster. Almost makes it useless.

LM4sure

Banned
Technically it is a great deal. Pretty amazing when put in perspective of the normal price plan. However, how useful it is, is a different story. It's amazing how all the carriers are pushing for faster speeds, but they have these small caps that you'll hit now even faster. Almost makes it useless.

Right. This is going to piss off a lot of people when they go over 250mb and end up spending a lot more per month, whatever the price is for going over the 250mb

Raistlin

My main question is how variable is the light? Can it go really dim like the Nook? If so, I'll end up getting one.

If it's like a tablet at night though, it defeats the purpose.

iammeiam

I like it, except I really want page turn buttons on the edge still, so I don't have to touch or swipe the screen each time.

This is my problem. I have one preordered but will probably cancel and just stick with my non-touch Kindle and case with built in light.

Why does Amazon hate buttons so much?

My main question is how variable is the light? Can it go really dim like the Nook? If so, I'll end up getting one.

It looked like there was a slider that you could set the light level to a varying degree.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Watch that Verge vid right above your post, it gets SUPER dim. Really granular too.

I've been on the precipice of getting a Kindle for ages, but I'm still holding out for COLOR. GIMME DAT COLOR!!!!!!!!!!aw yeah

hmmm wonder how much i can sell my kindle 4 + lighted case for.

holy fuck there are bootleg kindle light cases for like $10 on ebay. Why did I go the official route T_T.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You can pay to have the ads turned off.

Yeah I know, I was just hoping to avoid having to pay more.

but i have wifi off most of the time, so the ads stop showing up if you are offline lol.

You only need wifi on if you're buying books right? That doesn't sound bad at all.

That's exactly what I do as well, but just tapping the corner of the screen and getting an estimated time remaining is way, way more convenient than flipping pages until you find the end of the chapter.

It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is, especially since I read at different speeds at different times (if I'm reading outside I get distracted a lot more often than if I'm at home reading).

True, tapping is more convenient and faster than flipping through pages (smaller chance of getting spoiled too!).

I also read at different speeds depending on the circumstances, but it should still offer a good estimate.

I like it, except I really want page turn buttons on the edge still, so I don't have to touch or swipe the screen each time.

This is my problem. I have one preordered but will probably cancel and just stick with my non-touch Kindle and case with built in light.

Why does Amazon hate buttons so much?

Just get a Nook.

B33

Banned
Because they know in the long run buttons will be irrelevant. Better to get people used to the all touch interface now rather than later.

I've unfortunately tried to utilize a Kindle Touch model in the past. Consumers resilient to the gesture based e-reader would be far more receptive if Amazon actually presented a product with responsive touch capabilities. Perhaps this upcoming generation of Kindle will be a significant improvement?

O.DOGG

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Paperwhite as soon as they come out but I'm kind of disappointed with some of the decisions they made like not including page turn buttons or decreasing the storage size.
I also wonder how intrusive the ads would be for the ad-supported model, and whether it's worth the $20 to remove them or just wait for an inevitable (I hope) hack to permanently get rid of them... Decisions, decisions. Still, very exciting news.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but anyone have recommendations of good books that are Prime eligible? I'm up for any genre, really.

jayb

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Paperwhite as soon as they come out but I'm kind of disappointed with some of the decisions they made like not including page turn buttons or decreasing the storage size.
I also wonder how intrusive the ads would be for the ad-supported model, and whether it's worth the $20 to remove them or just wait for an inevitable (I hope) hack to permanently get rid of them... Decisions, decisions. Still, very exciting news.

the ads aren't instrusive at all. they only show up on the screensaver, and the bottom of the homescreen. get the ad model, and if you later decide you don't like them there's an option on Amazon's site to pay the difference to have them removed.

Just get a Nook.

I don't want a Nook as much as I want this product, except with page buttons on the frame like my current Kindle. I'll probably make do with the touch screen ultimately, I just prefer not to have to touch the screen so much for such a simple, common operation like turning the page in a book.

Wiktor

I've unfortunately tried to utilize a Kindle Touch model in the past. Consumers resilient to the gesture based e-reader would be far more receptive if Amazon actually presented a product with responsive touch capabilities. Perhaps this upcoming generation of Kindle will be a significant improvement?

Well..it's using new touch tech...so likely yes

bangai-o

Banned
I don't want a Nook as much as I want this product, except with page buttons on the frame like my current Kindle. I'll probably make do with the touch screen ultimately, I just prefer not to have to touch the screen so much for such a simple, common operation like turning the page in a book.
i hold the k3 at the bottom right corner. the keyboard area gives plenty of room for the thumb to not be on the screen and i do the psp monster hunter finger claw with my index finger to turn the page button. i have no idea how ill hold up the paperwhite yet. but im sure ill figure something out!

Wiktor

Higher contrast on the new Kindle might be a bad thing. TVs keep getting higher and higher contrast and they keep looking worse and worse.

TVs have color and movement. Here the highest contras just means the letters and more black and the background is more white. I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

I may finally jump on the Kindle trolley. I've been putting it off for awhile now because I just can't shake the feeling that I'm missing out on "holding a book - smelling the pages" stuff.

I'm thinking of going for the WiFi Paperwhite. It's cheaper and I can't imagine the price jump for 3G is worth it.

best thing about kindle is I can read while laying on my side.

A bit hard to do that with books lol.

btw: is it possible to take advantage of amazon cloud with kindle for say your pdfs and what not?

MasLegio

Banned
I remember a time when we had to move our hands and fingers to turn pages, we also had to apply some grip strenght on the book pages to keep them from turning on their own. Sometimes we even had to use two hands to hold the book. When we fell asleep reading a book we would drop it and the pages would go back to their natural space meaning we usually did not remember where we were last and had to reread some pages (since we were halfasleep the first time).

Nowadays people whine just because they have to move their finger a tiny tiny distance to turn the page. The future of e-literature will be decided by weakarmed whiners?

Totakeke

I remember a time when we had to move our hands and fingers to turn pages, we also had to apply some grip strenght on the book pages to keep them from turning on their own. Sometimes we even had to use two hands to hold the book. When we fell asleep reading a book we would drop it and the pages would go back to their natural space meaning we usually did not remember where we were last and had to reread some pages (since we were halfasleep the first time).

Nowadays people whine just because they have to move their finger a tiny tiny distance to turn the page. The future of e-literature will be decided by weakarmed whiners?

oldmanyellingatcloud.gif

Gibbo

hey gents- what would be my best option if i wanted to preorder a paperwhite outside of the US? i am located in South Asia.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm guessing I'd just hand my 3rd gen keyboard down to my son. Is it relatively easy to manage multiple kindles? If I buy something new from the store on the device, does it only get downloaded to that device even if both are registered to me? On the web I can tell it which device to send it to, can the other device then also download it by going into a transaction history or something?

It would actually be useful for him to have his kids/young adult books separate from my stuff anyway

any issues importing a wifi touch from the UK to UK? Can I buy an ad supported version online or will amazon not ship either of them internationally?

Totakeke

hey gents- what would be my best option if i wanted to preorder a paperwhite outside of the US? i am located in South Asia.

Use a forwarding company, they give you an address for you to deliver to in US and you pay them to ship it to you.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I may finally jump on the Kindle trolley. I've been putting it off for awhile now because I just can't shake the feeling that I'm missing out on "holding a book - smelling the pages" stuff.

I'm thinking of going for the WiFi Paperwhite. It's cheaper and I can't imagine the price jump for 3G is worth it.

it's absolutely not worth it for 3G. When you go on vacation etc, you load up with books before you go. there is almost never a reason to impulse buy a book. have always had the wifi model and never regretted the decision.

I kind of want the paper white just because I love the tech so much, but my old kindle with keyboard is just still so great that I can't really justify it.

Nymerio

Fucking Amazon... Can't you just for once release a damn product simultaniously in europe? I want that paperwhite kindle :/

Oh, there was one time when I regretted not having a 3G kindle. Finished a book and wanted to buy a new one but couldn't connect to the wifi because you had to login through a homepage first. The Kindle didn't support that so I was left without something to read. Still wouldn't ever by a 3G version, I'll just load up more books in the future.

monome

we can only buy old kindle for now.

They probably want to make sure that their main market (US) does not have any shortages before they offer it elsewhere.

while greedy ebayers will happilly profit...

Kindles were available from US store until Amazon launched proper Kindle support in EURO countries. ever since you have to go through your "local" outlet.

Paperwhite is awesome, but 119$ against the 180€ I'm seeing on ebay makes me want to kick some serious ass at Amazon...
Most probably, Amazon.fr will do a stealth update to its offerings in January to include the Paperwhite. Worth the wait but I feel shafted.

MasLegio

Banned
while greedy ebayers will happilly profit...

Kindles were available from US store until Amazon launched proper Kindle support in EURO countries. ever since you have to go through your "local" outlet.

Paperwhite is awesome, but 119$ against the 180€ I'm seeing on ebay makes me want to kick some serious ass at Amazon...
Most probably, Amazon.fr will do a stealth update to its offerings in January to include the Paperwhite. Worth the wait but I feel shafted.

well... us in Scandinavia do not have proper local outlets so we buy from the US "international" store. Still, no new Kindles to adresses outside of US.

I could purchase a Kindle through borderlinx but then I would have problems transferring content from my international kindle to my new US kindle due to region locking on some content and that I have a different account at amazon for US purchases.

Ledsen

well... us in Scandinavia do not have proper local outlets so we buy from the US "international" store. Still, no new Kindles to adresses outside of US.

I could purchase a Kindle through borderlinx but then I would have problems transferring content from my international kindle to my new US kindle due to region locking on some content and that I have a different account at amazon for US purchases.

Maybe they want to gauge US demand before opening up for international orders.

Top Bottom