• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Rootbeer

Banned
what? kindle keyboard update, finally? nice.

ordered a paperwhite though :p but this should give my keyboard a little extra life for whoever uses it next. haven't decided what to do with it

i wonder if I can get $50 for it if I sell it with the nice leather case (the one with the retractable light)

Did you play it over a jailbroken FW? Is that a concern I should be having before updating?

Mine (Kindle keyboard) is still on 3.1 incl. jb for wallpapers.

I did and my jailbreak and screensaver hack are both fine. I don't remember what firmware I was on before I ran the jb but I have done two or three official updates so far with no problems regarding the jailbreak

jayb

It doesn't, which is crazy to me.

Wow, I use custom fonts on my Touch, so I'm not too mad over it, but it's pretty unacceptable that the KT is missing better fonts and parental controls that are already on the K4. One would think that the 'premium' kindle would be getting priority updates. smh

I did misuse K5 there and I apologize. I was referring to the new version of the cheapy Kindle.

I'd just call the new basic kindle the K4 black. The only difference between $69 and old K4 $79 kindle is color and price. the firmware is exactly the same on both.

Did you play it over a jailbroken FW? Is that a concern I should be having before updating?

Mine (Kindle keyboard) is still on 3.1 incl. jb for wallpapers.

I was just speaking from a features perspective. I still have a K2 (but will get the Paperwhite). My bro has a K3 will check it out when I have a chance.

Sadly have to cancel my paperwhite preorder because I need to get a new muffler for my car. Ah well, at least I'll be able to read reviews of it first.

I was just speaking from a features perspective. I still have a K2 (but will get the Paperwhite). My bro has a K3 will check it out when I have a chance.

I did and my jailbreak and screensaver hack are both fine. I don't remember what firmware I was on before I ran the jb but I have done two or three official updates so far with no problems regarding the jailbreak

Thanks for the info. I just went from 3.1 to 3.3 to 3.4 as it says on the Amazon page, lol
The custom wallpapers are alive & well and the whole device reacts much faster now.
Neat.

KingKong

yaaay, HarperCollins books are already marked down thanks to that price fixing case, a book I was looking at went from like 10.50 to $8, which is still more than I would like, but a lot easier to swallow since it's at least cheaper than the print copy

bangai-o

Banned
downloaded the update. went to store and searched what comic books they might have. purchased Batman Hush. panel by panel works. so this is great. i have a comixology account but i dont own a tablet and have to read it on the pc. now i can read on my comfy couch!

Hmm, so even if my newspaper subscriptions were set on Amazon.de to Kindle, I could still download them for iPad. I understand that setting was for automatic download of new issues, correct? Now that I changed it to iPad new issues will be downloaded as soon as I connect to wi-fi, correct?

bangai-o

Banned
looks like their is alot more kindle edition comic books then I thought.

New 52

51GP%2B01-thL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51PW-F3W5wL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
61JXp-YOIML._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

61SlQO6m6AL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51Djqz8HA2L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51VH-Yv%2BFnL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

if anything, buy this one!

51H-XGtuT4L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

here are some others

517MunZ3RUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-72,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
61FTwJgFgOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

this one is next on my purchase

51XWWEnn5DL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

looks like it is mostly DC. Non-superhero readers still have some options with Vertigo titles though. I hope they put up more recent Hellblazer titles.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Cool. Just did the 3.4 update on my K3. I am intrigued by the comic panel view. Is there a free comic I can try out and check the Kindle's capabilities?

MasLegio

Banned
looks like their is alot more kindle edition comic books then I thought.

New 52

51GP%2B01-thL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51PW-F3W5wL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
61JXp-YOIML._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

61SlQO6m6AL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51Djqz8HA2L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51VH-Yv%2BFnL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

if anything, buy this one!

51H-XGtuT4L._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

here are some others

517MunZ3RUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-72,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
61FTwJgFgOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

this one is next on my purchase

51XWWEnn5DL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

looks like it is mostly DC. Non-superhero readers still have some options with Vertigo titles though. I hope they put up more recent Hellblazer titles.

any actual screenshots of the panels on a kindle?

bangai-o

Banned
Only some comics support the Kindle Keyboard. Y: The Last Man doesn't, which is disappointing. That's the comic I really wanted to read on this.

didnt realize that. I wonder why its like that. I lucked out on my first purchase. Here is where to look for everyone that doesnt plan on upgrading out of K3.

Cool. Just did the 3.4 update on my K3. I am intrigued by the comic panel view. Is there a free comic I can try out and check the Kindle's capabilities?

you can download the free sample.

just a heads up, there are some good books currently for the $3.99 or less that Amazon does

I picked up The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut for $2.99 and Essays in Humanism by Albert Einstein for $1.99

Really hoping some more hands-on impressions come out soon. I really want to see the Kindle, Kobo, and Nook in an extensive head to head to head.

coopolon

Really hoping some more hands-on impressions come out soon. I really want to see the Kindle, Kobo, and Nook in an extensive head to head to head.

I've thought quite a bit about this as well, but I am so invested into the Amazon market that it'd be really annoying to change to another device. And I even use Calibre and can rip the DRM from my purchases, convert them as necessary, etc. but it'd still just be more work than I'm probably willing to put in. So unless reviews come out saying the paperwhite is a complete trainwreck even if it got relatively negative reviews I probably wouldn't cancel my preorder.

bangai-o

Banned
i use my kindle 3 to take lecture notes. ive become pretty good at typing with my thumbs on the keyboard (its actually my primary gaf browser as well). so the thing that worries me is how well a touch screen will respond to key strokes. i have a feeling there will be too much delay. although the thought of turning a kindle landscape and typing on screen with one hand would be quite nice.

I ordered mine soon after the event (same day) and the shipping date is October 17th, but other people ordered after me and have an earlier date. What's up with that?

I ordered mine soon after the event (same day) and the shipping date is October 17th, but other people ordered after me and have an earlier date. What's up with that?

I ordered mine the next day and the delivery date is oct 3. Do you have prime by any chance? Maybe they are prioritizing prime orders? Or maybe they are prioritizing people upgrading from an older version of kindle? I dunno.

I ordered mine the next day and the delivery date is oct 3. Do you have prime by any chance? Maybe they are prioritizing prime orders? Or maybe they are prioritizing people upgrading from an older version of kindle? I dunno.

I ordered mine a few days later and have Oct 3 as my ship date and I have Prime.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, the paperwhite is still eInk, right? Checked the video, he said "almost" like the regular eInk Kindle. Does that mean it shuts the light off so you have the benefit of not having the eye fatigue that backlit devices can induce?

I ordered mine a few days later and have Oct 3 as my ship date and I have Prime.

I've had Prime for years, and I had a Kindle Keyboard.

What version did you order? Mine is the 3G with ads.

Ledsen

So, the paperwhite is still eInk, right? Checked the video, he said "almost" like the regular eInk Kindle. Does that mean it shuts the light off so you have the benefit of not having the eye fatigue that backlit devices can induce?

It's not backlit, it's sidelit. Shouldn't cause any more eye fatigue than reading a book with the lights on.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's not backlit, it's sidelit. Shouldn't cause any more eye fatigue than reading a book with the lights on.

Okay, thanks. Once it's in people's hands, I'll probably be asking for first hand accounts of how it is with the light turned fully off. It LOOKS like it acts the same as a regular Kindle....which if that's the case, I'll finally be buying one. Cheers!

Malajax

Went and bought a $69 Kindle since my kindle keyboard broke. Seems slower than I remember it. Seems like this Kindle is the bastard step child of the brand.

Kindle Paperwhite so popular, new orders will be paper-late

If you waited until now to buy Amazon's new Kindle Paperwhite, you'll have to wait a bit longer to actually get it in hand. Amazon said any new orders placed today won't be shipped until October 22 -- three weeks after the original October 1 shipping date.

"Due to popular demand, orders placed today are expected to ship the week of October 22nd. Limit five per customer," reads a note on the device's order page.

Those who preordered their device need not worry. The company said it is shipping orders on October 1 as planned.

Amazon unveiled the Kindle Paperwhite device earlier this month as one of its trio of new tablets. The device is Amazon's first self-illuminating e-ink reader.

Top Bottom