• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Pachimari

I'm so close to getting my Kindle Touch sold for the price of a Kindle Paperwhite but how do I see if my Kindle is the WiFi or 3G version?

I don't remember which one I ordered even though I have a suspicion that it's the WiFi version from Amazon US.

I'm so close to getting my Kindle Touch sold for the price of a Kindle Paperwhite but how do I see if my Kindle is the WiFi or 3G version?

I don't remember which one I ordered even though I have a suspicion that it's the WiFi version from Amazon US.

the serial number tells.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Are there some comparison shots between the paperwhite and Kindle 4? Just got a K4 a couple months ago and kinda bummed that there seems to have been a substantial technology jump in that short amount of time.
Technology!! T_T

Pachimari

Oh wait... I'm in Denmark, so I have to buy it through Amazon UK?? And now I already sold my Kindle Touch.

So when will I be able to order a Kindle Paperwhite? =(

Oh, and how do I unregister my Kindle from my Amazon? Super important.

Yen

This is the first I've heard of a Paperwhite. Looks great, reading in the dark? Yes please! Any idea when it's being released in the UK? I shall research it now, hadn't heard of this before entering this page.

MasLegio

Banned
Oh wait... I'm in Denmark, so I have to buy it through Amazon UK?? And now I already sold my Kindle Touch.

So when will I be able to order a Kindle Paperwhite? =(

Oh, and how do I unregister my Kindle from my Amazon? Super important.

International Amazon.com (at least for me in Sweden)

not available yet

why would you want to unregister it?
you lose a lot of functionality by doing that, you might as well buy another brand of e-reader

Pachimari

International Amazon.com (at least for me in Sweden)

not available yet

why would you want to unregister it?
you lose a lot of functionality by doing that, you might as well buy another brand of e-reader
The buyer want me to unregister the Kindle Touch so that he won't have access to my Amazon of course.

I'll try unregister it at Amazon.com yeah.

Could us in Europe possible expect the Paperwhite within this year? :/

I know there's no release date yet.

MasLegio

Banned
The buyer want me to unregister the Kindle Touch so that he won't have access to my Amazon of course.

I'll try unregister it at Amazon.com yeah.

Could us in Europe possible expect the Paperwhite within this year? :/

I know there's no release date yet.

missed that

you could buy a paperwhite through borderlinx or via ebay. Will be more expensive though, but you will get it earlier

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You need a program like calibre that will convert ePubs into a format Kindle can use. But aside from that it's just loading them up via USB.
cant see it this year. Wich is a shame, you'd think amazon would have a handle on expected volumes by now.

They even removed the ability to order direct from the US

Lumiere

Neo Member
Wondering about getting the case for my Paperwhite. I usually feel like these things can be taken out naked, but this one is a bit nicer/more expensive than the kindles I've had in the past. Are they pretty robust/scratch-resistant generally?
My Kindle Touch was fine while I didn't have a case, the screen seems quite scratch-resistant from what I've seen. I eventually got a case though, cause nowadays I always carry it in my purse and I didn't want to find out what happens when the screen gets in close contact with keys, wallet and other stuff...
I'll definitely gets a case for Paperwhite as well, will also help if I drop it (I've dropped my Touch quite a few times so far)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuggg meee. I going to have to see if I can sell off my Kindle 4. This looks damn good.

How much do you think a Kindle 4 gets these days? I tried listing it on Craigslist and people were asking for $40, dunno if that's low. It sounds like it

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
nook simple touch with glowlight ~ kindle paperwhite (both on max brightness)

kindel-comparisons2012-09-2821-50-28600.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
They've ditched the keyboard for what, a slow touchscreen? How snappy is it? If it's laggy as shit it's worthless. Gimme dat keyboard.

(I say this as someone with an SGS3)

The Simple Touch looks embarrassingly terrible.

It's pretty amazing. When the Glowlight came out, not even half a year ago, it was a pretty big deal. There was a lot of praise for it. And yet it really does not look good anymore. The Paperwhite really stomps it. It's even more amazing when you consider the PW uses a capacitive touch screen. Amazon worked some magic to have what looks like not only zero contrast degradation, but an actual increase in contrast.

I imagine comes the Spring Nook refresh they will move the LEDs to the bottom (what a terrible idea to put them at the top), but I don't know if they have the time or the ability to improve their glow layer. It'll be interesting to see what B&N does.

Bossun

Thinking of maybe buying a Kindle, though I'm a bit afraid of getting use to it and stop buying books (and I loooove the object).

I was wondering what's best, the normal kindle or the fire. Is there really a use for the fire, I'm not the kind to buy apps and play on tablets, but the quality looks nice and maybe I could watch movies on it.

Somnid

It's pretty amazing. When the Glowlight came out, not even half a year ago, it was a pretty big deal. There was a lot of praise for it. And yet it really does not look good anymore. The Paperwhite really stomps it. It's even more amazing when you consider the PW uses a capacitive touch screen. Amazon worked some magic to have what looks like not only zero contrast degradation, but an actual increase in contrast.

I imagine comes the Spring Nook refresh they will move the LEDs to the bottom (what a terrible idea to put them at the top), but I don't know if they have the time or the ability to improve their glow layer. It'll be interesting to see what B&N does.

This can't be good for B&N as Kindle already had a major advantage in the market, now there's even fewer reasons to go Nook. It's to the point where the arguments seem to surround factoring in the charger in as if people don't already have one or can't spare a USB port for a few hours every 2 months when these things actually need to be charged.

I don't think Nook will catch-up with their refresh either at least not in this area (though they could have some other cool feature). Amazon has been investing a huge amount in R&D (they even bought a touch screen company and a lighted eInk screen company) and it's just not the type of thing B&N has the money to do. They've been building this for a long time and the results are finally paying off.

I think the Laptop Mag review is the only review so far to say the Nook with Glowlight is still better. They claim the light is more even on the Glowlight.

However, the Simple Touch was more evenly lit, with very little variation between the middle and sides. On the Paperwhite, we noted four bright spots along the bottom edge of the screen that were distracting; we measured a difference of more than 40 lux between the middle and the bottom of the screen. While the top edge of the Nook pops a bit more than the rest of the screen at full brightness, we found it less distracting that the four bright spots along the bottom of the Kindle.

Every other review feels exactly the opposite.

Wondering about getting the case for my Paperwhite. I usually feel like these things can be taken out naked, but this one is a bit nicer/more expensive than the kindles I've had in the past. Are they pretty robust/scratch-resistant generally?

funny enough, I tend to take my kindle 4 out of the case if I could. the case nearly doubled it's size and weight. And i'm sure you'd agree that stuff can always be lighter :p

I realized that my club nintendo pouch can fit the kindle, so I'm planning on just using that for the new one.

Got so many coins, i'll probably just order another one!

Lumiere

Neo Member
funny enough, I tend to take my kindle 4 out of the case if I could. the case nearly doubled it's size and weight. And i'm sure you'd agree that stuff can always be lighter :p
I take it out of the case when I'm reading, too. Not all the time, but for example holding it with one hand is a lot easier without case! Keeping it in a pouch when it's not in use sounds like a pretty good idea :).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

I realized that my club nintendo pouch can fit the kindle, so I'm planning on just using that for the new one.

Got so many coins, i'll probably just order another one!

Hah, had no idea it fits. Maybe I should buy another pouch. My Kindle 4 is case less, don't really see the need for it

I think the Laptop Mag review is the only review so far to say the Nook with Glowlight is still better. They claim the light is more even on the Glowlight.

Every other review feels exactly the opposite.

That's really, really wrong if that Engadget picture is anything to go by. The Kindle has some unevenness near the bottom, but it's infinitely more even than the Nook.

Hah, had no idea it fits. Maybe I should buy another pouch. My Kindle 4 is case less, don't really see the need for it

i was caseless for a few months until I got a hairline scratch on the front bezzle which was quite annoying.

Luckily i just called up amazon and told them the wifi was broken, and they send me another one (some of the best customer service around imo).

teiresias

i was caseless for a few months until I got a hairline scratch on the front bezzle which was quite annoying.

Luckily i just called up amazon and told them the wifi was broken, and they send me another one (some of the best customer service around imo).

Yeah, great customer service...especially when you lie to them.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm traveling out of the country for 2 weeks near middle of October

Amazon hates me and releases the best kindle too late for me to use.

Fjordson

Haven't been in this thread in a while, but I just started reading again (was completely unmotivated for some reason for months and months). I forgot just how awesome the Kindle is as a device. Still rocking my keyboard model and it looks and feels as good as ever.

People actually use the keyboard?
Haha, missed this post. I do! I guess I don't do much actual typing, but the device as a whole is still solid.

I was thinking about upgrading to the one after this, the $69 model with wi-fi, but we'll see.

chiQ

It's funny. I've always been one to jones for the next thing, but I'm very happy with my Touch. The Touch is a nice little reader, especially in the Amazon case. The cover folded back stops it from sliding off my knee :)

Man the paperwhite looks so amazing. I really want one.
Hard for me to justify it since I upgraded last year to a kindle4 from a kindle 3.

I really like the expanded options on the PW. The K4 NT is pretty barebones (reading is all I use it for, but still...).
Extra fonts and new UI look really appealing

Probably going to wait until the summer to get one.

Fjordson

Man the paperwhite looks so amazing. I really want one.
Hard for me to justify it since I upgraded last year to a kindle4 from a kindle 3.

I really like the expanded options on the PW. The K4 NT is pretty barebones (reading is all I use it for, but still...).
Extra fonts and new UI look really appealing

Probably going to wait until the summer to get one.
How are the page turn buttons on the 4? A minor thing I know, but the 3 ones are perfect for me. The ones on the 4 look a little weird.

Top Bottom