• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That delay makes waiting for Barnes & Noble to announce their new lineup easier.

plc268

I'm buying my dad the new paperwhite, so once he gets that, I'm taking back the Kindle Keyboard I gave him. I absolutely hate the lack of physical buttons on the touch screen kindles.

I'm on the other side. I can't wait to get away from physical page turn buttons. The buttons make a very audible click on my Kindle 2. I hate reading in bed after my wife falls asleep because I feel like I'm going to wake her up.

plc268

I'm on the other side. I can't wait to get away from physical page turn buttons. The buttons make a very audible click on my Kindle 2. I hate reading in bed after my wife falls asleep because I feel like I'm going to wake her up.

I never found the Kindle 3's (or 2's) buttons to be overly loud, but that's just me.

I "upgraded" from the 3/keyboard to the Touch, and I regret it ever since. It's just a pain in the ass to use. There's no good way to grip it, especially when I'm laying down. I like to hold the kindle with one hand (my left), and doing a page turn is just annoying.

Also, I always get the lighted cases, and the one for the touch (and presumably the cheap kindle since the light works the same way) glares into your eyes if you read at angle laying down. I put some electrical tape on the light arm to prevent it from glaring.

At this point, as far as I'm concerned, the Kindle Keyboard was perfect, and I regret ever giving it up in the first place. My dad actively told me that he was interested in the paperwhite, so that'll be his. For me? I'm not touching another touchscreen e-ink kindle until they put physical page turn buttons back in.

maxxpower

Went and bought a $69 Kindle since my kindle keyboard broke. Seems slower than I remember it. Seems like this Kindle is the bastard step child of the brand.

I used to be an Amazon fanboy, then I sold my keyboard Kindle and bought a Nook Simple Touch, and god what a damn good product. No ads, a nice user interface and the rubbery finish makes it easy to hold. I was going to replace my keyboard Kindle with the $69 Kindle but I'm glad I didn't.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have to second what a lot of you are saying: I can't see myself replacing my Kindle 3 with any other product. It's still the best Kindle, in my opinion. It's extra storage space can come in handy for those that might put a few songs or audio books on the device and the keyboard is irreplaceable for those of us who take a lot of notes. I love the physical buttons and can't stand the touch-screen devices.

I can't honestly see myself replacing the K3 in the future either. I would have no need for it, but it would be nice of Amazon were to update the Kindle Keyboard with significantly faster page-turns and shed some weight off the product. I'm surprised they haven't quietly done so.

Ovid

I have a Kindle 3 and it's great. What are the added benefits of getting upgrading to one of the newer models? Uh...can't think of one. It really is perfect. I agree with the poster above, the only thing they really needed with this model was faster page turning.

coopolon

I'm fond of the kindle keyboard as well, but it is rapidly dying on me. Over the years it's been dropped occasionally and there were some screws loose inside the case. Last Friday it wouldn't even start anymore, it would go to the loading screen, load about a quarter of the way, then freeze. Charging and hard resetting didn't help. After calling Amazon and hearing they weren't willing to do anything except sell me a $70 kindle for $55 I went ahead and pulled the back base out and dumped the screws out. It restarted after that and has been working properly since so hopefully that was the problem.

I have a Kindle 3 and it's great. What are the added benefits of getting upgrading to one of the newer models? Uh...can't think of one. It really is perfect. I agree with the poster above, the only thing they really needed with this model was faster page turning.

The thing that convinced me to upgrade was the lighting.

Cheebo

Banned

Massively better screen resolution isn't a reason?

For something like reading that is one of the biggest things, based on all hands on reports the Paperwhites high resolution screen is very noticably superior to past Kindles and the Nook. It's like retina iPad vs. non-retina iPad.

but it would be nice of Amazon were to update the Kindle Keyboard with significantly faster page-turns and shed some weight off the product. I'm surprised they haven't quietly done so.

The keyboard kindle has been killed off, they are just burning through remaining units. It's why only 3G ones are left for sale on Amazon.com.

I never found the Kindle 3's (or 2's) buttons to be overly loud, but that's just me.

It varies from device to device. My left page turn button used to be pretty good, but lately it's as bad as the right one.

Massively better screen resolution isn't a reason?

For something like reading that is one of the biggest things, based on all hands on reports the Paperwhites high resolution screen is very noticably superior to past Kindles and the Nook. It's like retina iPad vs. non-retina iPad.

I was checking out the iRiver Story HD, again, this weekend and the resolution increase is a really good. I don't know if it's as big as the jump to retina, but the sharpness of text is wonderful especially for smaller fonts.

I'm also looking forward to the X-ray feature, I hope it gets supported properly, and the time to read feature. The new choices for font are nice too. For most people the lighted screen will be the big deal with the Paperwhite.

bangai-o

Banned
i forgot about x ray. that gives a link to wiki about a highlighted word right? that woud be a good excuse for 3g edition (for people that are not always near wifi).

jayb

i forgot about x ray. that gives a link to wiki about a highlighted word right? that woud be a good excuse for 3g edition (for people that are not always near wifi).

No the xray info is embedded in the book file. So no internet connection is needed.

Can someone explain how translation works (especially with US Kindles - even though I think, there's just one international model)? Does it translate from any language to any other or just from any language to English? Thanks!

iammeiam

Wound up canceling my Paperwhite at the last minute. Just can't bring myself to give up physical buttons, even for the upgraded screen.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Page-turn; I understand dropping the keyboard for space reasons, but the page turn buttons should have stuck around. I really and sincerely hope next year's cheap non-touch model still exists and gets the new screen.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I preferred the Nook Touch over the Kindle touch for that very reason. However, over the last few months I've only used my Kindle Touch and it's really not so bad.

e_i

I'm surprised they haven't started to ship the Paperwhites yet. I guess they won't start until the 1st.

I know. I thought mine would ship today and get it on Monday. Guess not.

It's weird. I preordered a case along with it, but it won't arrive until the 10th, even though the cases still say October 1st. I find it funny that the case costs a 1/3 of a Kindle Paperwhite.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It's weird. I preordered a case along with it, but it won't arrive until the 10th, even though the cases still say October 1st. I find it funny that the case costs a 1/3 of a Kindle Paperwhite.
I had the same estimated delivery date for the case, and the delivery time and cost made me end up canceling it. I've never liked how the official cases look anyway, and I'm hoping it won't be long before more Paperwhite cases start showing up.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I had the same estimated delivery date for the case, and the delivery time and cost made me end up canceling it. I've never liked how the official cases look anyway, and I'm hoping it won't be long before more Paperwhite cases start showing up.
Usually there's a lot of better looking "non-official" cases, but what I like about Amazon's is that they don't need straps to hold the Kindle in place. For some reason those straps on all four corners bother me :(
The new ones should also put the device to sleep/wake it up by closing/opening the cover, which seems neat, but they also don't look too great. At least there's more selection as far as colors go, I guess...

I've been using my Kindle more lately so I'm really excited for the Paperwhite. Just realized that mine arrives on Wednesday, can't wait to try it out!

e_i

My Paperwhite has shown up in my devices page under "Manage My Kindle." Still hasn't gone into shipping mode yet.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I wonder what will be the availability in Best Buy/Target and such on release.
I didn't pre-order a Paperwhite cause I've had my Kindle Touch for less than a year and I felt guilty upgrading while it's still working fine - if I actually see it in stores though I might just give in...

GusBus

I'm dying for a Paperwhite. One of the main things that kept me reading on my iPad instead of picking up a Kindle was the lack of backlighting. This looks to be gadget of the year IMO.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've been using my Kindle more lately so I'm really excited for the Paperwhite. Just realized that mine arrives on Wednesday, can't wait to try it out!
I've been doing the same, and I keep idling touching the screen in anticipation of the touch screen. I'm so excited to get my hands on the device.

My Paperwhite has shown up in my devices page under "Manage My Kindle." Still hasn't gone into shipping mode yet.

Mine has too, but no serial number. Maybe it has been there the whole time since we placed the orders?
I believe so. I accidentally sent a few books to my Paperwhite a couple of weeks ago, so I think it went up fairly quickly.

MasLegio

Banned
So is this a good excuse to get a paperwhite, once they become available?

I will keep the old keyboard Kindle 3 for beach and use while not in the home or hotel rooms. And paperwhite will be used for indoor use or nighttime in the garden, Will the sync work so I can use them in this way?

e_i

So is this a good excuse to get a paperwhite, once they become available?

I will keep the old keyboard Kindle 3 for beach and use while not in the home or hotel rooms. And paperwhite will be used for indoor use or nighttime in the garden, Will the sync work so I can use them in this way?

Whispersync should work as long as you're connected to the Internet (3G or WiFi).

Wondering about getting the case for my Paperwhite. I usually feel like these things can be taken out naked, but this one is a bit nicer/more expensive than the kindles I've had in the past. Are they pretty robust/scratch-resistant generally?

Somnid

I'm interested in getting a Kindle but sadly Amazon doesn't support my country. How easy is it to import epubs into a Kindle?

You need a program like calibre that will convert ePubs into a format Kindle can use. But aside from that it's just loading them up via USB.

think I'm gonna go preorder at best buy. I made the mistake of cancelling my preorder when I thought I was gonna be broke, and now my new shipping date from amazon is oct 25

Top Bottom