• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

How are the page turn buttons on the 4? A minor thing I know, but the 3 ones are perfect for me. The ones on the 4 look a little weird.

After spending a year and a half with the 3, the 4 took a little while to get used to, but the 4 is so much more streamlined. They are harder to accidentally press but not harder to intentionally press at the same time. You get no speakers on the 4, but are you really using them on the 3?

The battery life is waaaaay shorter on my 4 compared to my 3. Probably by about 1/3 less

It was a worthy tradeoff for me last year for the better refreshes, less accident prone pageturn buttons, and the lighter and smaller form factor.

Fjordson

After spending a year and a half with the 3, the 4 took a little while to get used to, but the 4 is so much more streamlined. They are harder to accidentally press but not harder to intentionally press at the same time. You get no speakers on the 4, but are you really using them on the 3?

The battery life is waaaaay shorter on my 4 compared to my 3. Probably by about 1/3 less

It was a worthy tradeoff for me last year for the better refreshes, less accident prone pageturn buttons, and the lighter and smaller form factor.
Sounds good! I do like the form factor on that mode quite a bit and yeah, haven't used the speakers once on the keyboard model lol. Easy upgrade at $69.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well my paperwhite leather cover is shipping soon. paperwhite itself is still not, but both scheduled to arrive on the 11th. excited :)

By the way i just learned from The Verge Paperwhite review that it only has 2GB, whereas my kindle keyboard has 4GB...

yeah... the one I bought 2 years ago had double the storage... where's the progress in that? the cloud can kiss my butt.

Pachimari

I just deregistered my Kindle Touch as I'm selling to be able to buy the Kindle Paperwhite.

But how do I erase all of my content on it already?

teiresias

Well my paperwhite leather cover is shipping soon. paperwhite itself is still not, but both scheduled to arrive on the 11th. excited :)

By the way i just learned from The Verge Paperwhite review that it only has 2GB, whereas my kindle keyboard has 4GB...

yeah... the one I bought 2 years ago had double the storage... where's the progress in that? the cloud can kiss my butt.

Well, with no audio support of any kind it's not like you need memory space to store audio books.

I preordered as soon as it was available, with 2 day shipping and mine has said estimated delivery Oct 11th since I ordered it. My case will be here Wed though, I guess I can put a book in it or something and pretend.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't know what's wrong with that nook, but mine does not look that bad, the lighting is much more even and brighter than that thing.

The screen resolution on the Nook is pretty awful compared to the new Kindle, that might factor in.

The screen resolution on the Nook is pretty awful compared to the new Kindle, that might factor in.

Is the resolution of the Nook that bad? I'm pretty torn between the Paperwhite and the Nook, I like Paperwhite's light better but I do find the Nook's design and ergonomics much more pleasing.

Cheebo

Banned
Is the resolution of the Nook that bad? I'm pretty torn between the Paperwhite and the Nook, I like Paperwhite's light better but I do find the Nook's design and ergonomics much more pleasing.

Left is Nook, right is Kindle:
kindel-comparisons2012-09-2821-50-28600.jpg

Sanic

I would love the higher res screen on the Paperwhite, but I can't get over the fact that they're just not as comfortable to hold as the Nooks. And if the Paperwhite is anything like last year's touch, it'll feel incredibly cheap as well.

Somnid

It's not like the touchscreen, light, resolution or contrast on the Nook Glowlight is bad, it got very positive reviews it's just the Kindle Paperwhite is better in all respects. But that also means the standard has been raised.

flyover

After spending a year and a half with the 3, the 4 took a little while to get used to, but the 4 is so much more streamlined. [The page turn buttons] are harder to accidentally press but not harder to intentionally press at the same time.

Yeah, I agree. I like the 4's buttons -- except that one of them (at least on mine) is quite hard to press when the case is on.

I'll definitely wind up getting a Paperwhite, but I will miss the page turn buttons a little. I prefer them to a touchscreen -- but not enough to make up for being able to scrap the case!

Zabka

My Paperwhite was supposed to ship today with my case coming next week. Looks like they combined the two and their delivery estimate is October 11th, but they're both listed as shipping soon. Very odd.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
My Paperwhite was supposed to ship today with my case coming next week. Looks like they combined the two and their delivery estimate is October 11th, but they're both listed as shipping soon. Very odd.

I noticed the same thing when I checked my order earlier today. Not really sure what is going on.

e_i

I noticed the same thing when I checked my order earlier today. Not really sure what is going on.

Mine's 'shipping soon,' but says it arrives next week. If it is coming next week, it wouldn't go into 'shipping soon' so early. I have One-Day shipping.

Edit: Can't be the case holding it up. The black leather one is listed as 'In Stock.'

coopolon

Mine's here. First impressions: it's definitely less comfortable to hold than the kindle keyboard. There's just less to hold onto.

However, if you actually like to take notes (I do), it is WAY faster with the touch screen than the keyboard. Even though I can type faster than the page refreshes, it knows what I typed and just takes a moment to catch up.

The touch screen feels good. I've never played with the kindle touch so can't speak to the supposed improvements, but I have no complaints with this screen. The biggest improvement I am excited for going from the keyboard to the touch is the ability to just point at the word I want defined rather than highlighting it with a cursor. So far every word I've selected it's gotten right on the first try. The finish they put on it is also a nice touch.

The glow looks fantastic. The whole contrast and resolution increase is...apparent. But it doesn't really make reading any easier or more pleasant. Maybe I'll feel differently after a marathon reading session, but right now I think that's kind of a worthless improvement.

The build quality feels fine to me though. I know some people are saying the $69 kindle feels cheap, I haven't held that, but this feels just as sturdy as the kindle keyboard.

I will miss the page turn buttons, but my hand is big enough that it's not a problem to be able to touch to turn forward or back while still holding it one handed.

The very first offer I got was a free $5 for MP3's. So far so good concerning the ads!

I sold the last gen Kindle Touch on Ebay for $75 a few weeks ago and used the money towards the Paperwhite. When I ordered it I was told it would deliver October 11th, but it shipped early this morning and will be here tomorrow.

Top Bottom