• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

After playing around with my PW, I decided to compare it to my K2. Going back to the K2 is weird, I've already adjusted to how the PW operates. I love it.

Loving the auto-sleep / auto-on feature of the Paperwhite + official leather case.

EDIT: Also - I dumped a bunch of my books from my Kindle 2 over to my Paperwhite and the Paperwhite dled them all about as fast as it took my Kindle 2 to get one or two of them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'd love to see some good pics of the blue case. I almost bought it before but then decided to hold off on the whole thing, till I saw it in person. I like the idea of a dark navy, just "a little color" to make it seem less like tech and more like book, but the blue frame around the book seems too bright maybe. I don't want it to look BRIGHT BLUE, I really want navy. But I don't think that's what the frame actually is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sorry if it's been asked but I can't find this setting:

How do you d/l and sync all your folders and books from another Kindle? I basically want this Kindle to be like my other one in terms of what's downloaded and how things are organized if that's at all possible, but "sync" doesn't really seem to accomplish that.

Sorry if it's been asked but I can't find this setting:

How do you d/l and sync all your folders and books from another Kindle? I basically want this Kindle to be like my other one in terms of what's downloaded and how things are organized if that's at all possible, but "sync" doesn't really seem to accomplish that.

I don't think that's an option.

Photon

Uuug.. I would pay extra for a PW with page turn buttons. It's the one flaw that keeps me from wanting to get one.

Do any retail stores carry the official Kindle cases? I want to actually see it before I decide if it's worth the extra money.

And some of y'all sure are getting your Kindles early. :p

Lumiere

Neo Member
Do any retail stores carry the official Kindle cases? I want to actually see it before I decide if it's worth the extra money.
Best Buy carries official cases for Kindle/Kindle Touch, so I'd guess they'll eventually carry the Paperwhite cases as well. I don't think they're getting the devices until the end of the month though, which means they most likely won't have cases for a while either.

The reviews at Amazon are either glowing(pun) or extremely critical of the evenness of the lighting. It appears many users got PW's with uneven lighting and/or shadows at the bottom of the screen. Numerous others reporting that their PW exhibits coloring in addition to the white (purple, yellow, blue). Quality control, Amazon. Unfortunately it appears Amazon doesnt have any units to swap out the defective ones with.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The reviews at Amazon are either glowing(pun) or extremely critical of the evenness of the lighting. It appears many users got PW's with uneven lighting and/or shadows at the bottom of the screen. Numerous others reporting that their PW exhibits coloring in addition to the white (purple, yellow, blue). Quality control, Amazon. Unfortunately it appears Amazon doesnt have any units to swap out the defective ones with.

Uneven lighting isn't really a defect. It's the downside to using a front-lit display.

Best Buy carries official cases for Kindle/Kindle Touch, so I'd guess they'll eventually carry the Paperwhite cases as well. I don't think they're getting the devices until the end of the month though, which means they most likely won't have cases for a while either.
Alright, thanks. Hopefully the color schemes are not too different at least so I can make a visual judgment.

And hoo boy, I hope my Paperwhite doesn't turn out to be a Paperweight.

So the uneven lighting/shadows that appear at the bottom of the display, is that widespread? I noticed mine has it. It's not really a big deal but I'm curious if it's a legit defect or just the nature of the beast.

Also, this thing is really damn cool. I downloaded Frankenstein and picked up Brian Keene's novella "Alone". I can tell the amount of time I read is going to increase significantly with the Kindle. Still need to spend more time with just to screw around and see what other features are in it.

Going back to my comment earlier, I still don't get the argument "Smell the paper feel the book!". Within a few sentences of reading "Alone" I was already engaged and could not care less that it was an e-reader and not a physical book.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Going back to my comment earlier, I still don't get the argument "Smell the paper feel the book!". Within a few sentences of reading "Alone" I was already engaged and could not care less that it was an e-reader and not a physical book.
That's how I feel too. In the end, the core of a book is in its content, not in its physicality (as much as I love book designs). The first time I poured through an ebook the same way I'd devour a print book, I realized that my fears were rather ridiculous.

Uneven lighting isn't really a defect. It's the downside to using a front-lit display.

It's a defect when you advertise the lighting as uniformly even.

So the uneven lighting/shadows that appear at the bottom of the display, is that widespread? I noticed mine has it. It's not really a big deal but I'm curious if it's a legit defect or just the nature of the beast.

Also, this thing is really damn cool. I downloaded Frankenstein and picked up Brian Keene's novella "Alone". I can tell the amount of time I read is going to increase significantly with the Kindle. Still need to spend more time with just to screw around and see what other features are in it.

It sounds like it's the norm, to be honest. I don't mind it if it is. I just wish I didnt have to wait a month to get one. As foe your comment about smelling/feeling the actual book, I'm with you. That means absolutely nothing to me anymore. The benefits of an e-reader far outweigh holding an actual book.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It sure is. :) The lighting and the resolution were the two things holding me back all these years. So glad to finally join the bandwagon. One measly day left.
I hope you enjoy it then! We should lend books; I essentially use my Kindle as a way to read books of dubious morality and homosexual content that I'd otherwise be too embarrassed to check out or buy.

Lumiere

Neo Member
It's a defect when you advertise the lighting as uniformly even.
Looking through reviews and forum posts on Amazon, it sounds like the lighting on the bottom is a bit spotty, which is understandable, I'm just surprised that most reviews didn't mention it at all.

Some devices might also be defective and have spots all over (there were a couple pictures of devices that definitely looked like they had issues.) Amazon will exchange those though, so it's not the end of the world.

I hope you enjoy it then! We should lend books; I essentially use my Kindle as a way to read books of dubious morality and homosexual content that I'd otherwise be too embarrassed to check out or buy.
Haha, kinky luncheon. Never thought of that. Thankfully, with Amazon Prime, I can order such sultry items without fear of shame. But now I can even read smut in public. Fantastic.

Although it would be fun to try out manga on there as well. I wouldn't dare bring out my collection outside of its sanctuary otherwise.

GusBus

Ugh, 4-6 weeks of waiting. I wanted to make sure it reviewed well before placing an order. Now I'm probably not gonna get my hands on one till November :-(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Haha, kinky luncheon. Never thought of that. Thankfully, with Amazon Prime, I can order such sultry items without fear of shame. But now I can even read smut in public. Fantastic.

Although it would be fun to try out manga on there as well. I wouldn't dare bring out my collection outside of its sanctuary otherwise.
...I wasn't even talking about anything erotic. Don't start projecting, girl. The Line of Beauty is one of my favorite books and is frequently discounted, so I'd suggest picking it up. It's a sort of modern retelling of The Great Gatsby, and it should satisfy your smuttier needs. To anyone else reading this, it won the Booker Prize, so even if the idea of rather detailed descriptions of men engaging in sex does nothing for you, the book's depiction of class dynamics and politics is--although somewhat clichéd--excellent portrayed, and the last ten pages are some of the best I've ever read.

I originally planned on using my Kindle for manga too, but I haven't bothered yet. It would be really great if manga publishers used the Kindle store rather than their own stores.

My favorite new feature of the Kindle isn't the paperwhite lighting, but the estimated time to finishing a chapter. It definitely works for me as I put aside a half hour to an hour usually to read and this allows me to maintain a good progress goal. Next chapter is 15 minutes? I have time for that tonight.

How do you turn the brightness of the light down? I was reading this morning on the bus in pitch black darkness and the screen was way too bright. It was hurting my eyes. I was clicking around and couldn't find a light control but a) I'm not that smart to begin with b) I hadn't had coffee yet.

Cheebo

Banned
How do you turn the brightness of the light down? I was reading this morning on the bus in pitch black darkness and the screen was way too bright. It was hurting my eyes. I was clicking around and couldn't find a light control but a) I'm not that smart to begin with b) I hadn't had coffee yet.

Hit the little light bulb on the top menu

The longer I use the screen the less the cross hatching at the bottom becomes noticeable. If you read in a brightly lit room, or outside, and put the light on high, it's not noticeable at all.

e_i

Short review:

Pros:
Higher resolution. This is always a plus. I can read manga now.
Contrast. The text looks really clear, even without the light.
The light. The light is fantastic and nice and even.

Cons:
The black smudges at the bottom of the screen.

Official case:
The black leather case is nice. For some reason, I though it would be soft leather, but it's hard leather. It has a magnet lock and magnet it turn on/off the Kindle.

I got my Paperwhite yesterday and absolutely love it. If someone said I had to nitpick about one thing it would be that the black bezel shows smudges and fingerprints pretty easily.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I got my Paperwhite yesterday and absolutely love it. If someone said I had to nitpick about one thing it would be that the black bezel shows smudges and fingerprints pretty easily.
That's my only problem so far too. I'm loving the device as well; adíos mi Kindle Keyboard.

Chairhome

Does anyone know when retail is supposed to get it? I have best buy gift cards that i want to use so i can get the paperwhite for my wife.

Mairu

How accurate are Amazon's time estimates? I was thinking about buying one and then just trialing it during the 30 day return period... but I see that it has an estimated 4 to 6 week wait on shipping. Are there any retailers left who plan on stocking the Kindle Paperwhite?

Anyone know how to disable the Amazon picked books on the bottom of the home screen? Or find out the MAC address?

Also a little spotlight effect at the bottom, but I am starting not to notice it the more I read.

Took some SLR shots of the new PW and my well loved PRS 505. Outside on a cloudy day, kindle light is OFF.
(Note that the pictures are HUGE, I basically just sent the RAW file straight to max quality JPEG.)

http://i.imgur.com/7ZfxI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YgxUU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wlb24.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OU171.jpg

YZx65.jpg

Edited so that the displaying images are smaller. The originals are the links.

Took some SLR shots of the new PW and my well loved PRS 505. Outside on a cloudy day, kindle light is OFF.
(Note that the pictures are HUGE, I basically just sent the RAW file straight to max quality JPEG.)

i know pictures are worth a 1000 words, but some written impressions would be cool as well :p

And my browser almost crashed lol, compress those images down a bit :p

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I received mine today. Definitely not happy with the uneven lighting on the bottom. As far as the press photos go, they're completely non-representative of the product in person. Maybe reviewers were used to the poor lighting of the Nook Glowlight, but I never used one and this is a bit jarring. I think it will differ from Kindle to Kindle, though, as I notice some of my Kindle's lights are brighter and stand out more than others. Also, I have a few stuck pixels. The increased PPI is nice to have but I hardly notice it. Overall, when the brightness is at its lowest setting (there is always some amount of glow present, but you won't notice near another light source), it performs as a Kindle should. I consider the lighting an added bonus so I'd still recommend this version over the others. If you must read in the dark, the uneven lighting is not a dealbreaker, IMO. Oh, and the black bezel is a nice improvement over the Touch's grey/silver bezel which reflected light terribly.

i know pictures are worth a 1000 words, but some written impressions would be cool as well :p

And my browser almost crashed lol, compress those images down a bit :p
Now that I've read on it for a few minutes:

1) I like the feel of it. The rubberized texture is comfortable and tacky.
2) I like the weight of it. It's substantial, without being bulky. It's lightweight, without feeling cheap.
3) I like the matte bezel and back, but it picks up oily fingers like crazy.
4) I haven't been futzing with the screen enough yet to know how it wears.

Finally:
5) The light... I agree with the poster above that the light at the bottom of the screen is obtrusive. It almost makes reading at the bottom of the page look like it's bubbled or textured. It's somewhat distracting.
That said, I think I'll get used to it and it really does add a lot. You can subtly improve the light around you with a quick adjustment of the screen and it seems like it will be good for eye strain. But again, this is from maybe 15 minutes and a few pages.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
So I got my Kindle Paperwhite just now, here's some unboxing shots:
kpw.JPG

Err...fail. I hope that whatever FedEx guy noticed the shitty double-stick tape way of sealing it (which didn't work) and took the Kindle is enjoying it :(

Called up Amazon, current estimated delivery time for the replacement is:
November 2, 2012 - November 14, 2012

At least that's a worst case and supposedly since mine is a replacement I might get priority...

...party...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
That sucks! Really sorry to hear that. Other customers had similar issues. Amazon needs to throw the Kindle box in an actual shipping box. Other companies do the same thing. My Thinkpad wasn't in an external box when shipped.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
That sucks! Really sorry to hear that. Other customers had similar issues. Amazon needs to throw the Kindle box in an actual shipping box. Other companies do the same thing. My Thinkpad wasn't in an external box when shipped.

Yeah :( I never had the problem with the Kindle Touch...I think the 3G Keyboard years ago was in an envelope which helped.

They need to use actual glue instead of double-sided tape. Or better yet, a box like you said. Imagine if Apple sent out iPhones in original fancy boxes that said "iPhone 5" on them.

Top Bottom