• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

I think you would have to be very OCD to complain about light leakage on this device. On mine at least the light is distributed beautifully evenly. Love this thing!

Apath

Mine has some light coming through at the bottom, but it's not really a problem. Going from regular books to this, between commute and reading at night, has been a God send.

I think you would have to be very OCD to complain about light leakage on this device. On mine at least the light is distributed beautifully evenly. Love this thing!
What kind of light are you reading under and what is your PW brightness set at? I was reading in a semi-dark room with 0-2 bars of light and the banding was noticeable. I'd say it was a subtle optical curling, like reading a newspaper that was wet then dried. It's only at the very bottom of the screen, but it's there and somewhat strange.

I'm definitely not the OCD type and I'm not freaking out at this; I just want to point out that it is there, because different people are going to weigh the light banding differently.

Vyer

I'm eager to see how this light looks. On one hand, I could see how it might throw some people off . On the other, every e ink Kindle up till now was lit by a bulb suspended above the screen, so my uneven light tolerance might be just fine, lol.

Apath

I'm eager to see how this light looks. On one hand, I could see how it might throw some people off . On the other, every e ink Kindle up till now was lit by a bulb suspended above the screen, so my uneven light tolerance might be just fine, lol.
It's really fine. You get some unevenness at the bottom of the screen, but it's objectively better than a standard reading light.

It's not going to drive you crazy. I mean, I don't know you, but I doubt it will drive you crazy.

Carlisle

Since the PW lighting doesn't seem to be as even as it did on press units, I'm curious how it compares to Nook with glowlight anectodally as well. I have a simple touch and I'm looking to get some lighting. I know that paperwhite has better contrast/resolution. Just trying to decide if PW lighting is enough of an improvement to justify the hassle of moving my collection over, etc. Or if its pretty similar to Glowlight after all.

MasLegio

Banned
So I got my Kindle Paperwhite just now, here's some unboxing shots:
kpw.JPG

Err...fail. I hope that whatever FedEx guy noticed the shitty double-stick tape way of sealing it (which didn't work) and took the Kindle is enjoying it :(

Called up Amazon, current estimated delivery time for the replacement is:
November 2, 2012 - November 14, 2012

At least that's a worst case and supposedly since mine is a replacement I might get priority...

...party...

I hope you called and made a complaint at FedEx as well. Nobody wants a theif working for them.

Zabka

Looks like the light is always on, even at the no bars level. It actually looks fantastic in a pitch black room.

Very OCD? Really? You probably got a good one, congrats.

I think they are all that way, that is the way light is when projecting out of a bulb, unless they use light tube. To me it's less distracting then the reading light I strap to my old Kindle when I read at night. Reading light cast shadow, constantly have to be fiddle with if you move position plus making sure that it doesn't shine on to your significant other that sleeping next to you.

I am not saying it's not distracting if you are adverse to those sort of thing (I am those type, and yes my wife think I am OCD) but after reading it for a while, I stop notice the beam and just enjoy the fact that I can move, turn without having to mess with the goose neck. The best thing is the compact nature, I don't have to pack the extra light and hope that battery still good when I take Kindle to work or go on a trip.

It's not perfect but I said it's the best yet. May be next iteration they will figure out the way to fix how light project out of the source but for now it sure beat any reading light.

That sucks! Really sorry to hear that. Other customers had similar issues. Amazon needs to throw the Kindle box in an actual shipping box. Other companies do the same thing. My Thinkpad wasn't in an external box when shipped.

It's pretty stupid the way they ship ... even an envelope would help. My box is completely cover in dust and dirt not to mention all type of UPS stickers on it. I usually keep all my boxes and packaging but I throw out the Kindle because it was ship the same way. I rated then 1 star for packaging on Amazon but I doubt they care. It just seems random how they decide packaging, i got a small item that wrap in a bubble and then put inside another box that 10X bigger than need be but the next item would come in small envelope pack that barely big enough to cover the merchandise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from the looks of some of the photos, couldn't they have reduced the spotlighting at the bottom by having the light source further down and diffusing it before it hits the 'active' part of the screen?

from the looks of some of the photos, couldn't they have reduced the spotlighting at the bottom by having the light source further down and diffusing it before it hits the 'active' part of the screen?

Maybe, they put at least 2 years of R&D into developing it so I'm sure they tried lots of different ways. Maybe it would have added to the bezel too much. The thing is where the imperfections are text usually isn't. It's actually more noticeable in peripheral vision than when staring right at it. Also the lighting at the place you are using the device affects how it looks too.

I read with it last night and didn't have a problem with the minor light bleed at the bottom. It is there for sure but I hardly noticed it, maybe because I had the light set way low. I only set it to the minimum I needed to read comfortably, which was a setting of about 8 out of 24. I don't know why people would have the light all the way up, it's REALLY bright when maxed out.

I read with it last night and didn't have a problem with the minor light bleed at the bottom. It is there for sure but I hardly noticed it, maybe because I had the light set way low. I only set it to the minimum I needed to read comfortably, which was a setting of about 8 out of 24. I don't know why people would have the light all the way up, it's REALLY bright when maxed out.

how's the handling with your hands. is it comfortable and easy to turn pages.

Yeah I think it's pretty comfortable, the touchscreen is really responsive and I find I turn pages accidentally less frequently than with my previous-gen kindle where I would accidentally hit the buttons on the side bezel all the time.

Also the page turn animation - that black flash that I used to find so distracting - is barely discernible now.

Yeah I think it's pretty comfortable, the touchscreen is really responsive and I find I turn pages accidentally less frequently than with my previous-gen kindle where I would accidentally hit the buttons on the side bezel all the time.

Also the page turn animation - that black flash that I used to find so distracting - is barely discernible now.

This is probably to me the best improvement beside the light, over my old Kindle. I thought I would miss the physical button but the page turning on this thing is the best. I no longer tap but swipe to turn page just as I might do on the real book. When I first started using Kindle I hated the way eInk would flash, eventually I got used to it and later actually prefer reading on eBook (getting and all, it's nice to be able to adjust fonts) but the new Kindle for people that get really annoy by refresh, it's barely noticeable now.

And I know what you are talking about hitting the side button of the old non-touch Kindle and accidentally flip the page.

Rootbeer

Banned
Waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow... I got my leather case yesterday though, and wow i can tell this is going to be a lot more portable than my kindle keyboard (also with a leather case). i didn't think the difference would be that substantial but i was wrong.

I actually noticed it the most when I was down to 0-1 on the light scale and I was in a dark room. Anything more and it's too bright for me (feels like reading from a screen), but I have sensitive night vision--I doubt that is a problem for everyone.
Super comfortable! I really like the tacky, rubberized back. It's also easy to flip pages--the page turn area is large enough to tap it regardless of which hand I'm holding it with.
Not distracted or bothered by a slight imperfection in lighting at the bottom of the screen.

I wonder how some of you could survive a Great War.
What a worthless comment.

...I wasn't even talking about anything erotic. Don't start projecting, girl. The Line of Beauty is one of my favorite books and is frequently discounted, so I'd suggest picking it up. It's a sort of modern retelling of The Great Gatsby, and it should satisfy your smuttier needs. To anyone else reading this, it won the Booker Prize, so even if the idea of rather detailed descriptions of men engaging in sex does nothing for you, the book's depiction of class dynamics and politics is--although somewhat clichéd--excellent portrayed, and the last ten pages are some of the best I've ever read.

I originally planned on using my Kindle for manga too, but I haven't bothered yet. It would be really great if manga publishers used the Kindle store rather than their own stores.
Sounds interesting, thank you. I wasn't projecting. ;) I tend to not read a significant amount of material that could be considered smutty.

I must admit, though, that my expectations were way off. I'm honestly very disappointed with my Paperwhite. The light bleed takes up 1/7 of the screen from the bottom, and has been distracting. The lighting is comfortable, if a bit dim.

Thankfully, I realized I could fix the refresh issue, so the ghosting wasn't as bad. The main thing that irks me is what looks like stuck pixels all over the bottom half of the screen. Literally like a dozen of them. Maybe I wasn't as ready for an e-reader as I thought I was. It looks good with natural light, though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just unsubscribed from advertisements as I can't recall the last time I've ever taken advantage of one of the offers. I see that I can resubscribe to the special offers if I wanted, but if I were to resubscribe and then choose to once again unsubscribe, would I have to repay the $20 fee?

I must admit, though, that my expectations were way off. I'm honestly very disappointed with my Paperwhite. The light bleed takes up 1/7 of the screen from the bottom, and has been distracting. The lighting is comfortable, if a bit dim.
I suppose I received a good one then, as my light bleeding isn't nearly as severe as other people's in this thread. I have the same feelings with the lighting; I like everything to be incredibly bright, and while I haven't tried reading in the dark yet, I suspect that I'll keep trying to increase the brightness of the Paperwhite, despite it being its maximum setting, just as I do with my 3DS. Sorry to hear it didn't live up to your expectations though. My favorite thing about the Paperwhite has honestly just been the UI, coming from the Keyboard.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I hate how much of a fingerprint magnet the Paperwhite is. I've wiped off my Kindle three times today, and as soon as I get back to using it, I have fingerprints right in the center of the screen, so that the text looks slightly uneven, not to mention all over the sides. I generally prefer to go to caseless, but it looks like the Paperwhite is going to stay in the cover just so I can hold something that won't be blasted with prints.

First I've heard anyone complain about fingerprints. If I look at the screen from an extreme angle the light highlights them but otherwise they are completely undetectable.

Got to say it is far more comfortable to hold than my Kindle 2, and I can old it with various different configurations because I'm not anchored by the page turn buttons. I don't miss them remotely. What I usually do is have my thumb on the edge of the bezel and rock it onto the screen. It's almost like pressing a button. But I do like touching the screen, the texture on it is great to the touch, almost like paper.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
First I've heard anyone complain about fingerprints. If I look at the screen from an extreme angle the light highlights them but otherwise they are completely undetectable.

Got to say it is far more comfortable to hold than my Kindle 2, and I can old it with various different configurations because I'm not anchored by the page turn buttons. I don't miss them remotely. What I usually do is have my thumb on the edge of the bezel and rock it onto the screen. It's almost like pressing a button. But I do like touching the screen, the texture on it is great to the touch, almost like paper.
Really? I can see them all the time in standard lighting, and I actually thought the screen was slightly warped until I realized that it was just my fingerprints. I don't think my skin is any more oily than anyone else's either.

I like the texture too, but I honestly wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out.

coopolon

I get fingerprints on the bezel, but not on the screen. That is weird that you are getting them on the screen. I used it today while eating a greasy lunch and didn't get fingerprints on the screen.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I get fingerprints on the bezel, but not on the screen. That is weird that you are getting them on the screen. I used it today while eating a greasy lunch and didn't get fingerprints on the screen.
I'm only getting fingerprints on the screen in the very center area, which is strange, since I've left no part of the screen untouched. Coincidentally, the center also seems to have a sort of dark patch, but my eyes could just be tricking me.

Apath

I have some finger smudged on the bottom where the 'Slide to Unlock' pops up, and that's really only when the screen is dark (as in completely black) that I notice it. I love the feel of the screen though -- kind of feels like paper.

first thing everyone should do is put your library in list view.

It is quite a nice device and yea it does feel kinda like paper.

The touch keyboard is surprisingly great. there might be some visual lag, but you can type as fast as you can and it will keep up.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
first thing everyone should do is put your library in list view.
I'm really torn between what view to use. I like cover view, but I dislike the list of bestselling books at the bottom, and I wish I could make the book covers slightly smaller so I can fit more titles on the screen at once. Even with the few books I own, it's not the most intuitive when it comes to navigating my Kindle library either. On the other hand, list view is so much less visually pleasing in comparison.

I'm really torn between what view to use. I like cover view, but I dislike the list of bestselling books at the bottom, and I wish I could make the book covers slightly smaller so I can fit more titles on the screen at once. Even with the few books I own, it's not the most intuitive when it comes to navigating my Kindle library either. On the other hand, list view is so much less visually pleasing in comparison.

true. but i'm used to list view all this time. And having 1/3 of the first page covered with amazon advertising bullshit is a bit disconcerting :S

Also having 200 items doesn't help :X

...I have, like, 25 books and I was complaining about it being difficult to navigate. :(

I do kinda wish there were virtual arrow buttons or something. The touch responsiveness is nice, but sliding up and down webpages or amazon store, or going side to side still feels odd.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I do kinda wish there were virtual arrow buttons or something. The touch responsiveness is nice, but sliding up and down webpages or amazon store, or going side to side still feels odd.
I'm okay with the touchscreen (and I love that the pinch to zoom increases and decreases text size), but I'm definitely in favor of there being more options. Seriously Amazon, I shouldn't have to use a hack to get custom screensavers.

Top Bottom