• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Shipped with a delivery date of tomorrow!
Mine shipped, but with a delivery date of Wednesday. And we're in the same place (well, I think you're in SF and I'm in Berkeley).

Had this thing on order since the moment the site started selling them. Can't wait to finally upgrade my Sony PRS 505 (which has been a pretty nice reader for the nearly five years I've owned it).

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Nice, mine just shipped as well. And even better my case shipped too, even though it wasn't supposed to for another week. Perfect timing since I have a flight to D.C. on Thursday to attend an old friend's wedding.

teiresias

My Paperwhite shipped today with delivery tomorrow (it shipped from PA and I'm in VA), which is probably why.

Anyone have a suggestion for a comic to try on it?

I need to factory reset and deregister my Kindle Keyboard tomorrow after I get it, and order a case.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
My Paperwhite shipped today with delivery tomorrow (it shipped from PA and I'm in VA), which is probably why.

Anyone have a suggestion for a comic to try on it?

I need to factory reset and deregister my Kindle Keyboard tomorrow after I get it, and order a case.
I just got the e-mail saying mine shipped today, as did the case (which I decided to reorder). My case was originally estimated for an October 10th delivery date, but the e-mail said it'd be coming the third along with my Paperwhite, so I'm hoping that holds true.

I downloaded the Planetary sample on my keyboard and was reasonably impressed. In general, if you haven't read Planetary, I'd highly recommend it.

plc268

How is this even possible? This blows my mind. I'll have to try a store model.

With a kindle keyboard you had a lot of extra space to grip on. The actual keys for the keyboard had very stiff presses, so you could rest your hand there. Also, you didn't have to worry about accidentally changing pages if you brushed against the screen.

Ramma2

With a kindle keyboard you had a lot of extra space to grip on. The actual keys for the keyboard had very stiff presses, so you could rest your hand there. Also, you didn't have to worry about accidentally changing pages if you brushed against the screen.

We need a 3DS Circle Pad Pro style add on to give us a place to hold the thing.

Have any of you been met anti-ereader rants by your friends? The second I told a couple buddies I had ordered a Paperwhite, they quickly went on the attack. And it seems the line that gets thrown around the most is "You gotta feel the paper and smell it".

But seriously, how many people pickup a book to read and spend more time caressing the pages and nuzzling their noses in the book?

It's fairly annoying.

Have any of you been met anti-ereader rants by your friends? The second I told a couple buddies I had ordered a Paperwhite, they quickly went on the attack. And it seems the line that gets thrown around the most is "You gotta feel the paper and smell it".

But seriously, how many people pickup a book to read and spend more time caressing the pages and nuzzling their noses in the book?

It's fairly annoying.

Yep, I've heard it. I don't believe they really care about the point of reading if "You gotta feel the paper and smell it" is their big argument. E-ink is the natural evolution of the written down word. We had tablets, then scrolls, hand-written books, then printed books, and now the e-ink ereader. Each time we transitioned people complained.

An interesting argument when the printing press came out was people thought more terrible writers would flood the market because it would be so easy to get a book made. People make the same argument hundreds of years later with e-books.

If you look at how and why our reading materials evolved there really should be no argument. Each step in the evolution allowed for more information to stored in a smaller space and to be able to reach more people. eReaders are the obvious next step. And they still have a ways to go to be perfected.

NekoFever

I bought my first Kindle yesterday. I've finished all my paper books and had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, so I just picked up one of the basic ones to see how I like it.

I must say the screen has impressed me so far. I love how much like printed pages it looks, and it's much nicer to hold for long periods than a heavy book, as much as I love The Smell of Paper™ and all that. My only quibble is that I'm yet to find a way to hold it that's both comfortable and provides easy access to the page-turn buttons, but I'm sure that'll come.

It's fairly annoying.

They'll eventually come around.

When on vacation, sometimes I find I'm not liking the book I'm reading so with e-readers, I always have a big choice. I don't have to special order books that are not normally kept with too much stock.

And for my mom, her eyesight is poor, even with glasses. She can still read by making the font bigger.

Ledsen

It's fairly annoying.

That's hilarious. Reminds me of those guys that marry furniture. You read a book, you don't smell and stroke it.

Mine's here. First impressions: it's definitely less comfortable to hold than the kindle keyboard. There's just less to hold onto.

Coming from a keyboard too, that is my main concern. While holding it I also often press my thumbs against the screen (it's comfortable and I don't accidently turn pages as much). I've never used a Kindle touch, so I'm afraid I won't be able to do that anymore. Is there any sort of setting that disables the screen, or most of the screen?

That said, I am looking forward to a faster processor. Looking up words on the keyboard model is painfully sluggish.

And the light of course.

It's fairly annoying.

I kind of get it. I'd say my Kindle to paper reading is about 50/50 these days. I do like holding a good hardcover at times. Reading in bed is a lot harder though.

Garryk

I'm going to be upgrading from a keyboard and getting the Amazon case. I always held it by the cover so I'm not worried about that. How is the touch screen though? Does it get really smudgy from page turns? I assume it is the same gestures as the Touch so feel free to chime in if you own that.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I kind of get it. I'd say my Kindle to paper reading is about 50/50 these days. I do like holding a good hardcover at times. Reading in bed is a lot harder though.
I definitely enjoy having a book in my hands, but I agree that reading in bed is more difficult when I'm holding a three hundred page book trying to shine a lamp on the pages. With the Paperwhite and Glow Light, e-readers have really just hit the point where they're more comfortable--size-wise, and now with the lit screens--than a book, and the Paperwhite will probably get me to use the Kindle more.

My main problem with e-readers is that they doesn't really fit into how I consume books. I've always used the library to get books, and if I buy books, they're generally comics. Many urban libraries are beefing up their eBook selection though, and I'm hoping the selection becomes decent enough that I can use the Kindle as a library device, without having to pay the Prime fee.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

It's fairly annoying.

Your friends sound poor.

Pachimari

That is just a reboot, not a factory reset. And that guide is definitely not from Amazon. Factory reset should be in the settings menu; something like "set back to default settings."
Sorry, I just quickly looked at the Favicon. No it's Reset-Kindle.info.

I'll try your suggestion sir.

In Settings, there are:

- Registration (I unregistered it already)
- Wi-Fi Networks (I disconnected it from my network)
- Device Options (Passcode, Time, Language and Dictionaries)
- Reading Options

=/

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I just quickly looked at the Favicon. No it's Reset-Kindle.info.

I'll try your suggestion sir.

In Settings, there are:

- Registration (I unregistered it already)
- Wi-Fi Networks (I disconnected it from my network)
- Device Options (Passcode, Time, Language and Dictionaries)
- Reading Options

=/

I'm not sure how you get to it on a kindle touch, but on the kindle keyboard you go to the settings menu and then press the menu button. It brings up another menu and one of the options is "Reset to Factory Defaults"

Pachimari

There's just no Menu button here unfortunately. And I have to factory reset it before tomorrow where I'll have to send it to my buyer. =(

I erased all my books in the Document folder but it still doesn't feel like it's brand new, which a factory reset would make me feel, also so that I'm sure I would get rid of everything.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My Paperwhite came in yesterday. Read some on it last night. I really like it, about the only thing I can find wrong is that I have some darkening of the screen at the bottom, just a couple of dark smudges. Not sure if I should send it back or if it's just how it is...

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I'm going to be upgrading from a keyboard and getting the Amazon case. I always held it by the cover so I'm not worried about that. How is the touch screen though? Does it get really smudgy from page turns? I assume it is the same gestures as the Touch so feel free to chime in if you own that.

I have the current Touch (which I am giving to my parents once I get the Paperwhite) and I haven't had an issue with smudges at all. I imagine it is just the nature of the screen, but I never notice them. The only issue I have had with the touch screen was a book I was reading that had a ton of footnotes. The touch detection when trying to hit the link to the footnote wasn't always that accurate and a lot of times I would end up changing the page instead.

There's just no Menu button here unfortunately. And I have to factory reset it before tomorrow where I'll have to send it to my buyer. =(

I erased all my books in the Document folder but it still doesn't feel like it's brand new, which a factory reset would make me feel, also so that I'm sure I would get rid of everything.

google lead me to:

Pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds on the Kindle Touch will often reset all settings on the device, unless it is asking for a password to get into the tablet. In these cases you will need to enter the code "111222777" and the Kindle Touch will reboot after that and be fully and truly wiped clean and ready to be initialized like brand new.

give a shout if it works :D

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

According to this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEx4dTj5Dw

You do what I said, but hit the touchscreen menu button again.

Thinking about getting my first Kindle. I only want to use it for reading, and actually would prefer it doesn't have games so I actually READ on the metro. Any advice? Is the paperwhite a matte screen like the normal one? I'm also concerned about getting something TOO small, though I definitely want it to be portable. My first inclination is the keyboard because so far my interactions with the interface on the touch have been frustrating. I also kinda want a manual page turn button.

Thinking about getting my first Kindle. I only want to use it for reading, and actually would prefer it doesn't have games so I actually READ on the metro. Any advice? Is the paperwhite a matte screen like the normal one? I'm also concerned about getting something TOO small, though I definitely want it to be portable. My first inclination is the keyboard because so far my interactions with the interface on the touch have been frustrating. I also kinda want a manual page turn button.

get the paperwhite. if ya don't like it, return it within a month (or week?)

don't think amazon has restocking fees for kindles. Could be wrong though.

Shipping now shows up as 4-6 weeks, and they dropped the number of units people can buy from 5 down to 2. Either it's more popular than they could have imagined, or they had production issues.

You're not wrong. You get a month to return it. No restocking fee.

That's what I'm thinking. Is the touch interface going to be any better. I've only used a touch once, but in my experience it was one of the least responsive interfaces I've ever dealt with and it was frustrating. I feel like turning the page was even annoying, let alone typing in your info. Though I guess you only have to do that once.... It may have been worse when I used one since I had to actually set up an amazon account on it for my grandparents, whereas I would just be linking my existing setup account and preferences.

Meier

I get so annoyed at the people who get nice deals on the Kindle with Special Offers. >< I totally would have bought that version if existed when I bought mine! I want a Paperwhite but will probably hold off for the time being.

I get so annoyed at the people who get nice deals on the Kindle with Special Offers. >< I totally would have bought that version if existed when I bought mine! I want a Paperwhite but will probably hold off for the time being.

You can subscribe to the special offer now ;P was thinking of that for my keyboard.. lol

That's what I'm thinking. Is the touch interface going to be any better. I've only used a touch once, but in my experience it was one of the least responsive interfaces I've ever dealt with and it was frustrating. I feel like turning the page was even annoying, let alone typing in your info. Though I guess you only have to do that once.... It may have been worse when I used one since I had to actually set up an amazon account on it for my grandparents, whereas I would just be linking my existing setup account and preferences.

well if it helps, reviews do mention the touch input is better on the pw then on the touch.

I loathe advertising, so spending an extra $20 was a no-brainer for me.

So what does the sleep screen look like on these new Kindles? My keyboard has tasteful pictures of classic authors, which I've always liked. I've always wondered if they got rid of that.

The problem I have with the touch interface is that I'm a neat freak, and if I see a piece of dust on the screen, my instinct is to wipe it off, which causes page turns. As for the form factor and being uncomfortable to hold, I dont find it to be that way at all. The case Amazon sells helps to make it feel like a book, though, and I prefer that to naked Kindle.

I loathe advertising, so spending an extra $20 was a no-brainer for me.

So what does the sleep screen look like on these new Kindles? My keyboard has tasteful pictures of classic authors, which I've always liked. I've always wondered if they got rid of that.

I dont like advertising either, but I like missing out on free MP3/Book/Movie deals even less. I love the ads on Kindles.

Meier

You can subscribe to the special offer now ;P was thinking of that for my keyboard.. lol

Oh yeah? With my Kindle 3G, I could get get them? Or is it like a Groupon-style email? I'd do it in a heartbeat.. Wario said he got $5 free from Amazon MP3 today.

Oh yeah? With my Kindle 3G, I could get get them? Or is it like a Groupon-style email? I'd do it in a heartbeat.. Wario said he got $5 free from Amazon MP3 today.

Yep, I got that today as well. I will never ever ever pay to remove ads from a Kindle as long as they continue to reward us with promos like that. I got a free Amazon Instant Video HD rental last week.

yeah. Manage your Device under account and you see a link to subscribe to special offers.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Special Offers have been a bit crap since about last christmas. Only been a few good ones since then which were mostly like $5 free mp3s and such. There was a really short lived offer for $50 off a kindle fire when they were fist released.

Top Bottom