• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

bangai-o

Banned
So yeah, not the most elegant way, but it works. Just hate how amazon loves to take away features :X

speaking of taken away features. I am still on K3 and enjoy being able to browse mobile-gaf(with images, gifs, and avatars turned off) and check email on the free 3g browser. That has already been taken away correct?

bangai-o

Banned
The Kindle Touch 3G can access any website on wi-fi, but is limited to a subset of sites over 3G (Wikipedia and Amazon mostly). Is the Paperwhite the same way?

i searched. it seems to be the same. you will need to use the twitter workaround. itd be nice if amazon would just approve the email and maps sights.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got an email from amazon UK saying my leather case for the new paperwhite is delayed due to waiting for stock from their suppliers. Was due to be delivered tomorrow. New expected date - November 13 :(

Hope they don't delay the actual kindle too - that was due to be delivered on Thursday.

Why put stuff up for preorder if you don't have enough? I preordered day 1

Any other good alternatives for cases for the paperwhite?

edit: contacted amazon and the kindle is still due this week. Changed my case to a blue one which was in stock.

Mafro

Just got an email from amazon UK saying my leather case for the new paperwhite is delayed due to waiting for stock from their suppliers. Was due to be delivered tomorrow. New expected date - November 13 :(

Hope they don't delay the actual kindle too - that was due to be delivered on Thursday.

Why put stuff up for preorder if you don't have enough? I preordered day 1

Any other good alternatives for cases for the paperwhite?

edit: contacted amazon and the kindle is still due this week. Changed my case to a blue one which was in stock.
Was it the official black Paperwhite case you initially ordered? I had that November delivery date too, but just got an email a few minutes ago saying that it's available again and will be delivered either tomorrow or Thursday.

got my paperwhite. pretty neat.

any way to make the home page a list of your books like the old kindles, or am I stuck with the covers?

edit: nevermind, duh, right in the main menu.

This might be a stupid question but can you strip the DRM from magazines/newspapers also with calibre? Wouldn't mind keeping a back up of the magazines, not sure if you can redownload old issues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was it the official black Paperwhite case you initially ordered? I had that November delivery date too, but just got an email a few minutes ago saying that it's available again and will be delivered either tomorrow or Thursday.

Yes. Thanks for the heads up, ordered the black again and cancelled the blue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This might be a stupid question but can you strip the DRM from magazines/newspapers also with calibre? Wouldn't mind keeping a back up of the magazines, not sure if you can redownload old issues.

Not sure, but calibre is very good at consolidating newspaper website feeds into .mobi format files that look very similar to how amazon delivers them. So I don't bother subscribing to the dried content anymore, I just read the free web content offline.

Not sure, but calibre is very good at consolidating newspaper website feeds into .mobi format files that look very similar to how amazon delivers them. So I don't bother subscribing to the dried content anymore, I just read the free web content offline.

Hmm, I guess I could do that. I have it mostly for bloomberg and I'm thinking about wallstreet journal or something else in the future. Just nicer than carrying around the physical thing that I'll throw away anyhow.

Yep. I think I'm going to return the Paperwhite and go back to using my Keyboard. Yesterday I had forgotten the Paperwhite at the office, so last night I used the Keyboard instead and was immediately reminded how much nicer it is to hold while laying in bed. Both in terms of physical ergonomics and not having to worry about the touch screen.

I just don't think I'm a fan of touch screens in general.

I also held them side by side for the first time, and in normal lighting conditions with the Paperwhite light off, I really can't tell any difference. The Paperwhite might have slightly better resolution, but honestly, I think it looks like the Keyboard has the better contrast.

Turning pages is definitely faster with the Paperwhite, but it's really a difference of .2 seconds vs .5 seconds.... so whatever.

It's all about the light, which is great, but not worth compromising ergonomics. Because if I don't like to hold the thing I'm not going to want to use it. Guess it's night-lights for now....

Chairhome

Yep. I think I'm going to return the Paperwhite and go back to using my Keyboard. Yesterday I had forgotten the Paperwhite at the office, so last night I used the Keyboard instead and was immediately reminded how much nicer it is to hold while laying in bed. Both in terms of physical ergonomics and not having to worry about the touch screen.

I just don't think I'm a fan of touch screens in general.

I also held them side by side for the first time, and in normal lighting conditions with the Paperwhite light off, I really can't tell any difference. The Paperwhite might have slightly better resolution, but honestly, I think it looks like the Keyboard has the better contrast.

Turning pages is definitely faster with the Paperwhite, but it's really a difference of .2 seconds vs .5 seconds.... so whatever.

It's all about the light, which is great, but not worth compromising ergonomics. Because if I don't like to hold the thing I'm not going to want to use it. Guess it's night-lights for now....

Let me know if you're thinking about selling the paperwhite. I want to get one for my wife but don't want to wait for them to restock. PM me, thanks!

flyover

...The bezels are too thin, and if you accidentally touch the screen even just a little bit you'll get unwanted page turns. So quickly the finger cramps start to set in.

I want my buttons back. If this screen were in the keyboard body I'd gladly pay $50 more for this thing.

Yeah. The only thing that's kept me from buying the Paperwhite is the lack of physical page-turn buttons. It might not be a big deal to most, but it is for me. And I'd pay more for it, too.

I love not having to move my thumb while reading. I barely even have to think about it, and the page changes. It makes for a seamless reading experience. Better than a book; better than a touch device.

It's a tiny detail (and I know it sounds silly to say, "It's so hard to lift my thumb and move it a half-inch every thirty seconds!"), but those details matter. The page-turn buttons and the e-ink screen are the two main reasons I prefer reading on my Kindle to reading on the iPad, and Amazon just eliminated one of them.

I'll keep my current Kindle with lighted case for now, even though I am tempted by the Paperwhite's screen.

Vyer

Picked up a Paperwhite at Best Buy Monday.

So far I'm impressed. Screen light works well - a little uneven at the bottom, but nothing that bothers me considering how uneven your standard book light is- and the touchscreen 'feels' right. No real issues with fingerprints (bezel is a different story) on the whole the entire thing is very responsive.

I too was a little worried about the no page turn buttons thing, but after a few nights reading it turns out it's a non issue for me. Feel safe selling my keyboard model now.

Prologue

Picked up a Paperwhite at Best Buy Monday.

So far I'm impressed. Screen light works well - a little uneven at the bottom, but nothing that bothers me considering how uneven your standard book light is- and the touchscreen 'feels' right. No real issues with fingerprints (bezel is a different story) on the whole the entire thing is very responsive.

I too was a little worried about the no page turn buttons thing, but after a few nights reading it turns out it's a non issue for me. Feel safe selling my keyboard model now.

How did you pick one up at best buy? Its still sold out on amazon

flyover

I too was a little worried about the no page turn buttons thing, but after a few nights reading it turns out it's a non issue for me.

That's good to hear. I'm such a fan of the buttons that I'm still going to hold off, for now, but maybe it just takes a little time.

Nuklear

Banned
It seems a couple Best Buy stores have them in stock near me. Do they sell the non-Ads version of the Paperwhite? Or do they only carry the Ads version?

Edit: NVM, I read you can just pay $20 to turn off the ads.

Vyer

How did you pick one up at best buy? Its still sold out on amazon

They've started to get them in stock. You can check availability on the website. Pretty much all of them were 'low availability' though. The BB I got mine from only had 4.

Lumiere

Neo Member
All the BB in my area are out of stock :( I might still go check one nearby tomorrow to see if they have a demo unit. I don't mind waiting for Amazon to restock, but I'd really like to take a look at a Paperwhite in person before deciding if I like it enough to upgrade from Touch or not.

renitou

My Paperwhite arrived Tuesday and I've loved using it so far. Unfortunately, there appears to be a hair or some similar kind of debris stuck under the screen in the lower right corner. Plan to call Amazon about an exchange tomorrow.

From past experience, I know the turn-around time on exchanges is about 2 days. Anyone here know if the current backordered status on the Paperwhite is extending to exchanges on defective units?

edit (10/25): Replacement unit will be arriving Saturday. :)

So that case i picked up a few posts up arrived, It's pretty damn good for $14 and makes 1 hand usage way better with the device due to how it's designed.

2012-10-25%2011.22.46.jpg
2012-10-25%2011.22.53.jpg
2012-10-25%2011.23.09.jpg
2012-10-25%2011.23.29.jpg

2012-10-25%2011.23.44.jpg

2012-10-25%2011.23.55.jpg

2012-10-25%2011.30.50.jpg

Zabka

So that case i picked up a few posts up arrived, It's pretty damn good for $14 and makes 1 hand usage way better with the device due to how it's designed.

That's cool. I have a similar Marware case from my Kindle Touch that I loved to use. I just switched my Paperwhite into it because the official case felt a little chintzy.

flyover

Not a hardware post, but I love that the Kindle iOS app (which I occasionally use in a pinch) just added the Caecilia font. Love having a slab serif typeface for it. Makes a huge difference for me.

renitou

Not a hardware post, but I love that the Kindle iOS app (which I occasionally use in a pinch) just added the Caecilia font. Love having a slab serif typeface for it. Makes a huge difference for me.

Being able to use Palatino on the Paperwhite makes a similarly huge difference for me. I never minded Caecilia on past Kindles, but I really enjoy the less chunky text on the higher resolution display. Tried switching back today and just couldn't. :p

Nuklear

Banned
Just got back from Best Buy and got my Paperwhite! They had one left in the Joliet, IL store for anybody looking for one in the Chicago area. I was surprised they didn't carry the official Kindle case. ><

DukeSucks

I ordered the black one Sunday and it arrived today, used the free super saver shipping option. Picked up the kindle at best buy Sunday as well.

I'm coming from an an OG nook, and love the upgrade. Love the screen, the lights, the size, the weight, and the UI. Glad I decided to get it.

Nuklear

Banned
does the PaperWhite cause any glare issues?

None in my use very limited use. It's basically the same screen as the other Kindles which I've never had any problem with glare.

I was very on the fence for the Paperwhite because I really like my Keyboard 3G Kindle but I'm extremely happy with my Wifi Paperwhite. I'm very glad I bought it! If I need to use it away from a WiFi network for some reason I'll just tether it to my phone. The only reason I used the 3G on my old Kindle was to sync up pages.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Going by the Best Buy website, there are no Paperwhites left anywhere in Washington State!
They had a demo unit in my local store though, so I got to see one in person, at least. Really like the feel of the screen, but I wasn't too sold on how it looks with the light on. I might still end up ordering one... I've been wanting to upgrade to 3G for a while.

Vyer

Paperwhite has passed a big test in my home; the light doesn't bother my wife if she's trying to sleep and I'm reading. Lol. She pretty much hated it if I was on a tablet or the old lighted Kindle case.

Really does a good job of distributing the light across the surface without much glare on lower settings.

Mairu

So I got this email at the beginning of the week

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers"
Previous estimated arrival date: November 06, 2012 - November 16, 2012
New estimated arrival date: October 25, 2012
And then today came and no Kindle :(

Oh well, I spoke with Amazon support and they gave me a $10 credit on my account, so at least there's that.

Danj

I have a Kindle Touch which I use with Calibre on my PC. Up until just now it has worked fine, but now what happens is if I try to send books to it from Calibre, the home screen goes to "My Items (0)" and all my books appear gone. However if I view the file system via USB the files are all still there.

Is there some metadata or index file that is corrupted or something? I tried doing a reboot and a factory reset but the same problem occurs.

EDIT: This turned out to be due to an ebook that must have been corrupted in some unknown way. Anyone else think that having a corrupted ebook on your device should NOT cause it to stop displaying any of your content?

RangersFan

Just got email from amazon that my paper white that was backorderd to till the 21st is now shipping on the 5th! Can't wait, it will be my 3rd kindle. Have the 2nd gen 3g, the 79 wifi 4th gen with light case, and the paper white coming. Wonder if I should trade em into amazon or load them with books and give them as gifts to avid reading family members.

Also the kindle has been a savior during this storm. I've had to recharge my cell 2-3 times a day since the power went out, my ipad a couple times though only reading comics on it, been using my kindle constantly and bar is still full.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My paperwhite came just a few days before sandy knocked out my power and I couldnt be more thankful for the backlight. Purchase REDEEMED.

Original shipping estimate for my Paperwhite was 20th Nov - 4th Dec. Got an email on Wednesday that the revised estimate was 07th Nov - 10th Nov. Today I received a shipping notification!

My Paperwhite was one of the big things that got me through Sandy. I was reading in bed when the lights went out and barely skipped a beat in my reading. The next 2 days without power meant I read most of the time.

Top Bottom