• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Nymerio

Just a sec, I saved that thing as pdf, loaded it onto my Kindle and made some photos. It actually turned out better than I expected.

Sorry for the bad quality, made it with my phone. Some of the text is really small the rest seems ok.

Mafro

Do Kindles update their firmware automatically? Just noticed my custom screensaver has gone, and when I checked the firmware it says it's now on 5.3.0 without me updating it manually.

Do Kindles update their firmware automatically? Just noticed my custom screensaver has gone, and when I checked the firmware it says it's now on 5.3.0 without me updating it manually.

Yes. It's not always easy to predict when they happen (they stagger the units updated), but if you leave the device in sleep mode with the wireless on, you might get updated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just a sec, I saved that thing as pdf, loaded it onto my Kindle and made some photos. It actually turned out better than I expected.

Sorry for the bad quality, made it with my phone. Some of the text is really small the rest seems ok.

That looks like shit. But at least you don't have to horizntally scroll.

Kindle eink models have always sucked at PDFs. Except maybe the DX.

Nymerio

Yeah, the text is readable but I don't know if you can get a sense of how small it actually is. Some of the lighter text I couldn't even make out.

Still, if it's good enough for him, he should go for it. I'd still prefer to read it on a kindle than on a tablet even if the text quality is sub optimal.

Socreges

Banned
Wait... the Paperwhite is front-lit? That changes everything. No more domestic issues at bedtime.

Is there a link out there that details what's lost with the transition from the K3 to the Paperwhite? Highlighting and accessing the dictionary is still easily done? And is it possible to sell my used K3 (which is still in excellent condition)?

Think I'll ask for it for xmas

Not even available in Canada yet? Fucking third world nation.

Mafro

Yes. It's not always easy to predict when they happen (they stagger the units updated), but if you leave the device in sleep mode with the wireless on, you might get updated.
Damn, I usually leave it on airplane mode unless I'm downloading stuff but on this occasion I forgot to turn that on the last time I used it. Not really a big deal, but still annoying.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hm, looks good enough. Will be buying the Kindle ASAP. Thanks, Nymerio! :)

DO NOT buy the kindle if you only want it for PDF!! I cannot stress this highly enough.

PDF aren't just ok on kindle, they're bad, they're uncomfortable and irritating, much better off with a tablet, even a cheap one. Obvs you may not find one as cheap as £70 I guess. But I would pay the extra to get better quality.

Wait... the Paperwhite is front-lit? That changes everything. No more domestic issues at bedtime.

Is there a link out there that details what's lost with the transition from the K3 to the Paperwhite? Highlighting and accessing the dictionary is still easily done? And is it possible to sell my used K3 (which is still in excellent condition)?

Think I'll ask for it for xmas

Not even available in Canada yet? Fucking third world nation.

Man, it's soooo good for this. I never take mine off of "zero" brightness (which is just very faint lighting, I haven't figured out a way to turn it all the way off), but that is enough for me to read comfortably in the dark and it has no effect on my partner.

I can get a Kindle here for 70 pounds, not sure how much a tablet is? Say I wanted to view this link, except its in PDF format: http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/1990/2.html

Would that turn out ok on the Kindle? I really only want it for cases so I'd be heart-broken if it couldn't do that properly. I even asked this weeks ago so you can see how long I've been contemplating this, lol.

Thanks so much! :)

EDIT: Here's an Amazon UK link to the Kindle I'm looking at: http://tinyurl.com/ajpp4z8

DO NOT buy the kindle if you only want it for PDF!! I cannot stress this highly enough.

PDF aren't just ok on kindle, they're bad, they're uncomfortable and irritating, much better off with a tablet, even a cheap one. Obvs you may not find one as cheap as £70 I guess. But I would pay the extra to get better quality.

It depends. The higher resolution of the Paperwhite does make a difference. If you are trying to look at graphs and images, then yea the 6-inch screen isn't going to cut it. But if they are text based PDFs can be quite readable on a PW.

But another point for stn is if you want to read info from websites, like the one in your post, you can use the send to kindle extension to have website text converted and sent to your Kindle wirelessly. It's treated like any Kindle book at that point.

Nuklear

Banned

Aye, get a tablet if you want to read PDF's. They are much much better at it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
What kind of case are you guys using for the Kindle Paperwhite?
I'm using Amazon's official case that turns on the Kindle automatically when it's opened. It's fairly decent and I like the automatic waking up so much that I payed to remove the ads just so I could go straight to my book, but the case is rather expensive and while it still looks good, it did get a bit beat up in its first week of use.

What kind of case are you guys using for the Kindle Paperwhite?

I bought the official one too. I got Persimmon, which is really more red than the orange look from the pics online. It's nice, light, holds up well, and shuts the screen off like the smart covers for iPad. Pricey, but it is a fine case. I'm happy with it.

So I guess I go for the official case then. Too bad they do not offer the darker brown of my current case. The blue one should be mine.

got my paperwhite today (pre-ordered day one in japan) and man i LOVE the screen. huge leap over the kindle 4 i was using previously, though i wish it still had page-turn buttons.

designing it so that it looks better with the light on even in well-lit places was a great move if the battery claims really do hold up; it just about solves the problem of e ink being grey on grey rather than black on white.

Ramma2

got my paperwhite today (pre-ordered day one in japan) and man i LOVE the screen. huge leap over the kindle 4 i was using previously, though i wish it still had page-turn buttons.

designing it so that it looks better with the light on even in well-lit places was a great move if the battery claims really do hold up; it just about solves the problem of e ink being grey on grey rather than black on white.

I missed my page turn buttons at first as well. After 3+ weeks I can barely remember having them! Page turning with a tap of the thumb is just natural now.

bangai-o

Banned
I scanned an old Image Comics book called Neon Cyber (amazing Akira-like book) and the various methods of putting into a the Paperwhite.
I dont like the results of the PDF because it doesn't utilize the whole screen, instead it has unused borders. So, then I just tried emailing them as attachments to the Kindle and letting Amazon convert it. It works great and uses the entire screen, but all the files are separate. I cannot go the next page without exiting out as if each page is its own book.
Has anyone else experimented with this?

Blackhead

Redarse
I scanned an old Image Comics book called Neon Cyber (amazing Akira-like book) and the various methods of putting into a the Paperwhite.
I dont like the results of the PDF because it doesn't utilize the whole screen, instead it has unused borders. So, then I just tried emailing them as attachments to the Kindle and letting Amazon convert it. It works great and uses the entire screen, but all the files are separate. I cannot go the next page without exiting out as if each page is its own book.
Has anyone else experimented with this?
Mangle
Willus.com's K2pdfopt

Hi, guys. I just got a paperwhite from my girlfriend. I have some old ebooks from her nook I'd like to convert. I got Calibre. I have two options I can convert from, Mobil and Epub. I know I have to convert them to AZW. Is it better to go from epub to azw, or mobi-azw?

Will I lose anything when they're converted? I'm brand new at this, so any help would be pretty awesome.

Thanks!

I bought the official one too. I got Persimmon, which is really more red than the orange look from the pics online. It's nice, light, holds up well, and shuts the screen off like the smart covers for iPad. Pricey, but it is a fine case. I'm happy with it.

Can you take some pictures when you get it? I'm looking at that particular color but I'd like some feedback besides what I read from amazon's reviews.

Hi, guys. I just got a paperwhite from my girlfriend. I have some old ebooks from her nook I'd like to convert. I got Calibre. I have two options I can convert from, Mobil and Epub. I know I have to convert them to AZW. Is it better to go from epub to azw, or mobi-azw?

Will I lose anything when they're converted? I'm brand new at this, so any help would be pretty awesome.

Thanks!

When I use calibre, I just plug in the Kindle and once the program recognizes it, I click on the title I want and click "Send to Device." Of course you have to first add the title to your Calibre library. I think it will auto convert.

When I use calibre, I just plug in the Kindle and once the program recognizes it, I click on the title I want and click "Send to Device." Of course you have to first add the title to your Calibre library. I think it will auto convert.

And you don't have issues with that? I thought I'd have to convert it. Does it have things like x-ray and all that jazz or is that something amazon does to the ebooks themselves? How does it treat page numbers?

Do any retailers carry the kindle cases? I'd like to see what I"m buying before I purchase it.

Thanks!

MOBI is supported by the Kindle natively. AZW is a MOBI file downloaded from Amazon, with or without DRM.

Even then, EPUB to MOBI is a pretty painless process, though you might lose some chapter markers and small formatting details. It depends how well the original EPUB was made. Note that Nook books may or may not have DRM on them. You can install a Calibre plugin to remove this protection if you run into it.

Calibre will set its output up based on the device you told it about. If you told it you have a Kindle, it auto-converts the format for you so that you get what you need. In addition, if you don't want Calibre, you can just stuff any MOBI files into the documents folder on your Kindle, in addition to RTF, TXT, HTML, PRC (same thing as MOBI), and PDF.

And you don't have issues with that? I thought I'd have to convert it. Does it have things like x-ray and all that jazz or is that something amazon does to the ebooks themselves? How does it treat page numbers?

Do any retailers carry the kindle cases? I'd like to see what I"m buying before I purchase it.

A lot of the conversions will be easy as pie, so you might not even notice it happening. However, the X-Ray and page number features are things you get from downloading the book from Amazon, so if you're doing it through Calibre you can't get those. You'd have to buy the book on the Kindle store, assuming the book even has those features enabled (it says so on the product page).

Only Best Buy in the US is carrying Kindles anymore, so I suppose you could go have a look at their accessories. They don't have much by me though.

If you have more questions, comb this.

This is my first black Friday with a Kindle. Doesn't Amazon do any Black Friday Deals on eBooks? It seems like a missed opportunity if they don't.

This is my first black Friday with a Kindle. Doesn't Amazon do any Black Friday Deals on eBooks? It seems like a missed opportunity if they don't.

Use ereaderiq, the site will update you on price drops. I significant price drops often enough that I have a huge and inexpensive backlog of books.

fuenf

Got my Paperwhite today and it has a bright spot / star at the bottom. I guess the light guide is defective and the light isnt reflected back to the display. Thankfully Amazon didnt make any problems and will replace it asap.

Nymerio

Just got mine. Loving it so far, but can't say yet if I'll miss the buttons. The lighting is great, huge step up from the previous Kindles.

Nymerio

Eh, just saw that you can swipe left/right to turn pages. Looks like I won't be missing buttons at all.

Does anyone know if there's a way to download everything from the cloud at once? I don't want to click on every single item in my collection to download...

Nymerio

So I wrote a small app to get comics onto my paperwhite.

The idea is to organize your files in directory structure like this:

Title
|--Chapter 0
| |-- img0
| |-- img1
| |-- imgn
|--Chapter 1
|--Chapter n

You point the application at the "Title" directory, enter the metadata and it creates a mobi file that you can open on your kindle. For this to work you have to download kindlegen and optionally kindlestrip. For Kindlestrip you'll have to have python 2.7 installed.

The application can resize your images, convert them to grayscale and save in different formats.

If anyone is interested in this let me know and I'll upload it somewhere.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
My Paperwhite has become slow after the recent firmware update. It takes longer for the pages to refresh, books open slowly, and everything just seems to drag a bit. It's not egregious, but considering how snappy the UI once was, it's fairly annoying. I tried restarting the Kindle but it hasn't become any better. Is there anything I can do? Can I go back to the old firmware?

Kammie

So I wrote a small app to get comics onto my paperwhite.

The idea is to organize your files in directory structure like this:

Title
|--Chapter 0
| |-- img0
| |-- img1
| |-- imgn
|--Chapter 1
|--Chapter n

You point the application at the "Title" directory, enter the metadata and it creates a mobi file that you can open on your kindle. For this to work you have to download kindlegen and optionally kindlestrip. For Kindlestrip you'll have to have python 2.7 installed.

The application can resize your images, convert them to grayscale and save in different formats.

If anyone is interested in this let me know and I'll upload it somewhere.
How is the text? Is it legible or too small?

I'd be willing to try it out with some manga.

Nymerio

Was good enough with what I tried it with. Images have to resized to 758x1024 so it really depends on how the text of the source material is. I'll zip it up and send you a PM so you can try it for yourself.

GusBus

Got my Paperwhite today and can't put it down. Screen is gorgeous and the backlighting is fantastic. Hands down, best tech purchase of 2012. If anyone's still looking for one you can get them at Staples. Use their site to track stock (it seems most stores have a few units).

I can confirm Octavia Butler is great. Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents are fantastic. (so is Kindred but its not on sale)

Another great choice is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Don't let the Oprah movie scare you off that one.

And finally, I haven't read the book but I read nothing but good things about Swan Song by McCammon for fellow post-apocalypse fans.

Ledsen

I can confirm Octavia Butler is great. Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents are fantastic. (so is Kindred but its not on sale)

Another great choice is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Don't let the Oprah movie scare you off that one.

And finally, I haven't read the book but I read nothing but good things about Swan Song by McCammon for fellow post-apocalypse fans.

Glad to hear this. Got two Butler compilations (Patternist and Xenogenesis) based off Amazon comments alone. Sadly I was discouraged by the Oprah thing and didn't get The Color Purple :(

Hey guys, could any of you tell me if the Kindle Paperwhite can be bought at retail stores? If it's possible, which places would be the best options to find one?

Thanks.

Top Bottom